Rollin' by skybluerae
Summary: This is a response to september_chic's challenge of picking one X-Men character (or 2) and using the first song you heard on the radio/tv...and running with it. Or something like that.

Categories: X2 Characters: None
Genres: Foof, Songfic
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1125 Read: 1634 Published: 03/12/2007 Updated: 03/12/2007

1. Chapter 1 by skybluerae

Chapter 1 by skybluerae
Author's Notes:
Record writing for me here. Sat in my head for the evening, but written in about an hour so there’s no beta. Sorry for any mistakes. This was the first song I heard a AND I happen to love its infectiousness. I admit I have fallen victim to it myself. Also, with all the Brokeback Mutant and man nip going around, I have to say this fic was influenced. Beware of a few falling entendres because they snuck up on me too.
Scott looked out the car window, trying to enjoy the passing landscape because he was definitely not enjoying the company.

First of all he thought, *I* should be driving. *I* am the senior X-Man - in years on the team anyway - and *I* am Charles' right hand man and *I* am the Fearless Leader! Yeah...he knew about all the stupid nicknames people called him. Second, Logan was being a dick. He was a dick about asking directions, he was a dick about insisting on driving, and he was a dick about hogging the radio.

He was a big, fat, driving dick. No, wait. That just sounded … wrong.

"You're lost. You know you're lost. Why won't you just admit that you're lost?" Scott nipped.

"Ya know what Scooter? Shut the fuck up!" Logan bit back.

"You are UNBELIEVABLE. Do you know that? I don't know how in the hell Rogue puts up with you because you are SUCH a pain in the ass! First you just have to drive because you're all "I'm the big alpha man hear me roar"; then you've got us SO lost, even your stupid Wolver-senses can't get us back to civilization. Yet you REFUSE to admit that you're wrong. Wrong, wrong...so very damn wrong!"

"God you nag more than a fuckin' woman! Fine! I'm lost! You happy now?!!" Logan roared.

Scott smiled widely, “Very. Now, if you'll just pull over at the next sign of life - I'll ask directions. That okay with you or are we gonna need to pull over to pitch a tent and set up a sun dial to track our destination using the stars?"

Logan growled a response, but nodded about asking for directions.

Bolstered by his triumph over Logan's insistence that they were, in fact, "not that lost", Scott reached out towards the radio's seek button.

"Whoa-whoa," Logan brought him up short, "what do you think you're doin'?"

"I'm finding some decent music. Trust me, I don't listen to crap."

Smirking and raising an eyebrow, "No boy bands for you, Cyke? C'mon. You don't have to deny your love of N'Sync...The Backstreet Boys." He snickered as he said the words.

"Logan, how do you even know who The Backstreet Boys are?"

That cut his laughter off cold.

Scott continued to grin as he hit seek until he found a contemporary station that promised to play "a mix of hits from yesterday and today". That ought to have something for everyone, he thought, and Logan didn't dare object.

A few songs played while the two of them remained silent in their mutual distaste for one another. The volume wasn't up that loud, but hearing the beginnings of one of his favorites, Scott bumped it up a notch. A female voice began to talk through the beginning of the song. At first he thought his ears deceived him, but then he was sure he heard Logan humming some of the background chords.

Nah, Scott thought. No way. But sure enough, he caught Logan mouthing some of the words. He obviously didn't realize he was doing it, but his damn lips were moving with the song! Cue the lazy piano...

Ya know, every now and then
I think you might like to hear something from us
Nice and easy...

Holy Mother of God...Logan liked Tina?!! Scott cut his eyes over towards him, not wanting to let on that he noticed.

But there's just one thing
You see we never ever do nothing
Nice and easy
We always do it nice...and rough

Yep! Those damn mutton chops were movin' and the Wolverine was mouthing along!

So were gonna take the beginning of this song
And do it easy
Then were gonna do the finish rough
This is the way we do proud Mary

And were rolling, rolling, rolling on the river
Listen to the story

"You're fucking singing Tina Turner!" Scott shouted over the loud horn intro. Logan looked aghast, but guilty as hell.

"Was not!"

"You were too! I saw you!"

"You're outta your fuckin' mind! This ain't my kind of music. This is pansy shit!"

"Well then, it won't affect you if I just - turn it up a bit will it?"

Scott cranked up the volume and joined in with Tina as she belted out the famous lyrics.

I left a good job in the city
Working for the man every night and day
And I never lost one minute of sleeping
Worrying bout the way things might have been

Big wheel keep on turning
Proud Mary keep on burning
And were rolling, rolling
Rolling on the river

Logan was trying to fight it. Scott saw the struggle etched across his brow. He wanted so badly to give in and sing to the top of his lungs just like Scott was doing. Finally, Logan's brow smoothed.

"Awh fuck it!" He gave in, bumping the volume up some more and singing even louder than Scott.

Cleaned a lot of plates in Memphis
Pumped a lot of tane down in New Orleans
But I never saw the good side of the city
Till I hitched a ride on a riverboat queen

Scott threw in a shoulder shimmy as he caught Logan rolling his neck and tossing his head in beat with the catchy music.

Big wheel keep on turning
Proud Mary keep on burning
And were rolling, rolling
Rolling on the river

As if he had no control over his body, Scott's ass started to wiggle in the seat. The song's energy was just so damn contagious. "Sing it girl!" he shouted out and actually made Logan laugh.

If you come down to the river
I bet you gonna find some people who live
You don’t have to worry if you got no money
People on the river are happy to give

"Take it to the bridge," Logan yelled, holding out an invisible microphone for Scott.

Big wheel keep on turning
Proud Mary keep on burning
And were rolling, rolling
Rolling on the river


Logan's ass was now wiggling too as they took turns with the "Do ah do do do - do do do doos". While playing air piano and horns, they simultaneously struck poses on the down beat. Both were giggling and beaming, high on life.

Big wheel keep on turning
Proud Mary keep on burning

"Big finish," Scott offered as the song was winding down and Logan took the finale.

And were rolling, rolling
Rolling on the river

As the music ended and sanity reigned again inside the car, Logan nervously adjusted his weight in the seat. Scott cleared his throat and his smile faded while Logan's grew stern once more.

"We don't speak of this...EVER," Logan murmured.

"To the grave," Scott agreed.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=1174