Our Song by Shadowlady
Summary: Rogue gets to dance
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Shipper, Songfic
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: Holly's Place Series
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1001 Read: 2481 Published: 01/02/2007 Updated: 01/02/2007

1. Our Song by Shadowlady

Our Song by Shadowlady
Humming softly to the music pumping from her CD player Rogue pulled into the parking lot of the diner and cut the engine. She knew Logan had left the mansion earlier in the evening, right after dinner actually and it irked her that Scott and Remy had delayed her departure but she was just glad to have gotten out of the mansion.

Slipping inside she glanced at the back booth and frowned, her hum dying when she realized Logan wasn’t there. Wondering where he was she turned back to the door, uneasy with sitting around waiting for him.

“Hey hon,” Holly greeted her warmly. “Coffee?”

”Sure,” Rogue sighed and followed the older woman to the back of the diner. “I must be early or something.”

Holly smiled and nodded, “You hungry?”

“Did you manage to keep some of that wicked pie?” Rogue asked softly, hopefully.

“I saved two pieces,” Holly whispered conspiratorially. “I’ll be right back with one of ‘em.”


With a grateful smile Rogue watched her move off. Sitting quietly she barely moved when the pie was set in front of her, eating it with only half a mind. Staring down into her coffee she didn’t hear the door open, or see the figure step through the door.

Logan hid a smile at the way Rogue sat so still, so silently at the back of the diner. He hated it when Wheels got him to do things on the spur of the moment because it left him no time to let Rogue know about changes to their routine. Glancing down at the pale bloom in his hand he shrugged, as an apology it seemed corny but deep down he couldn’t help but love the idea.

With a soft smile at Holly who’d grabbed another cup and a plate of kick-ass cherry pie Logan headed for his usual seat. Leaning against the back of the bench he brushed the bloom against Rogue’s ear and watched her flick at it absent-mindedly.

Frowning at the annoying whisper of contact to her ear Rogue glanced up to see Holly coming with a second piece of pie and another cup of coffee. Smiling in relief she glanced out the door and saw the 1949 Indian she’d given Logan parked next to her truck.

Shifting she glanced around only to catch a slight bit of movement out of the corner of her eye. Whipping her head around she stared at Logan who stood holding a beautiful rose in one hand and a sheepish expression on his face.

“You made it!” she grinned at him.

“Yeah, Wheels wanted me to run an errand for him or I’d have been waitin’ on ya darlin’,” Logan replied sinking into the battered leather booth. “Here, sorta I’m sorry gesture.”

Rogue took the bloom and sniffed it delicately before smiling, “It’s beautiful,” she whispered and nudged him. “And you’re forgiven.”

“Good,” Logan chuckled as he reached for a fork and took a big bite of the pie. A moment later he caught her humming with the song on the jukebox that Holly’d actually plugged in and smirked. “You like this song?”

“I don’t know, it’s just playing is all,” Rogue replied softly, watching as he rose to dig some change out of his pocket, “What are you doing?”

“You’ll see,” Logan drawled and moved over to the jukebox. Scanning the titles he smiled as he caught one that was perfect for them and plunked in the change.

A moment later he stood next to the booth and held out a hand, “Dance with me.”

Rogue flushed and glanced around, “Now? Here?”

“You got a better place and time?” Logan teased gently even as she took his hand and allowed him to pull her to her feet. Moving into his arms as the music started slowly, Logan felt her burrow deeper into his chest as the lyrics flowed over them.

Glancing up into his eyes Rogue stared, seeing the truth, the honesty within their depths and smiled, “You’re my best friend,” she sung softly, “You’re my shelter from troubled winds, you’re my anchor in life’s oceans, but most of all...you’re my best friend.”

Logan smirked down at her and gave her waist a little squeeze, “It seemed appropriate, and honest.”

Rogue nodded slowly and smiled softly at him, “Yes it does.”

From where she stood next to the counter Holly watched the pair as they swayed in tune with the old Don Williams song. It seemed to fit them to a‘t’. With a faint smile she turned away from them, let them dance; let them have that moment of peace and tranquility because something told her life wasn’t too fond of dealin’ them a good hand

**********************************************************************.
Author’s note: It just seemed to fit as I listened to it while writing this ;) so you can call me a romantic sap if you like!


You’re my best Friend
Don Williams

You placed gold on my finger
You brought love like I’d never known
You gave life to our children
And to me, a reason to go on

You’re my bread when I’m hungry
You’re my shelter from troubled winds
You’re my anchor in life’s oceans
But most of all you’re my best friend

When I need hope, and inspiration
You’re always strong, when I’m tired and weak
I’ve could search the whole over
And you’d still be everything that I need

You’re my bread when I’m hungry
You’re my shelter from troubled winds
You’re my anchor in life’s oceans
But most of all you’re my best friend

You’re my break when I’m hungry
You’re my shelter from troubled winds
You’re my anchor in life’s oceans
But most of all you’re my best friend
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=145