Sacrifice by Epic
Summary: What if it had been Rogue and not Wolverine who took out Phoenix?
Categories: X3, AU Characters: None
Genres: Angst, Dark
Tags: None
Warnings: Rape/Non-Con
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 55447 Read: 295477 Published: 12/18/2008 Updated: 02/21/2009
Chapter 28 by Epic
He was just finishing with his packing when he heard a knock on his door. He knew who it was without a doubt. Even though he hadn’t caught the scent yet, he knew her knock.

He quickly opened the door to find her standing on the other side, looking tiered and weary. He stepped aside, letting her in as her scent filled his room.

It was a natural aroma of magnolias and southern spring days. Along with it came the scent of the garage and ice. This last one worried him a little as he closed the door.

He turned around to find her launching herself into his arms, wrapping her own around his neck.

“I love you, Logan. So much,” she whispered, as she let her lips play against his neck.

“What did he say to you, Darlin?” He asked, burying his nose into the sweet fragrance of her hair. “What did he tell you that has you wound so tight?”

“He apologized,” she whispered back, pulling away from him gently. He knew she probably didn’t want to tell him, but he needed to know. He needed to be sure of what was happening to her.

He watched her walk across the room, taking a seat on his bed. He felt his lust for her rise a little as she stretched out across the large bed. He wondered if she knew what that did to him as she settled herself.

“He wanted to apologize for what happened between him and Kitty,” she said quietly, her fingers making circular patterns across his bedspread.

“And what did you say?” He asked as he sat next to her. He grabbed her hand in his, holding it tightly, preparing himself for anything.

She sighed, her eyes locking with his. He could see the love she had in them, but there was more. There was a sadness he knew she would have to let go of herself, but there was something else, too. A look of peace and ease that hadn’t been there before. One that he was almost sure she never had.

“I apologized back. For pushing him away in the first place. And for using him so that I wouldn’t be alone.” Her voice was soft and upset, but he knew what she meant. He had suspected it when he had returned from Alkali Lake and witnessed Bobby practically dragging her along and she reluctantly following.

“I take it he didn’t take that so well?”

“Actually, he took it pretty well. We both admitted out faults and our own actions that killed our relationship. We were able to talk about everything, let everything out in the open.”

“Then why are you so upset?” He felt her tense. Felt her shift as she gently turned to lie on her back. He was positive now that she had no idea what she did to him. It was practically torturous.

She sighed, staring at the ceiling. She paused for a moment, and he knew she wasn’t sure if she should tell him. He hoped that she would. Regardless of what it was, he wanted no secrets between them.

“He asked if there was a chance if things had been different. If we could have worked it all out.”

Logan felt his muscles tense. He had thought that very same thing once or twice. What if things had been different? Would he have her right now? Would he have even looked at her the same way if she hadn’t done what she had?

“And?”

“I told him that I would have never gone out with him. That I would have been looking for something else. I told him that we wouldn’t have been any thing more than friends. I guess that when we were dating, I was looking for some thing stable to hide behind. Something safe. I told him that I was never the person he thought I was. That I was more like you.” He felt her hand grab his, and he wondered if she needed his support. He looked at her and saw all the love and affection she had for him in her eyes. “Does that make me a bad person, Logan? Does letting my mutation control my personality make me a bad human being?”

“No, Marie,” he whispered as he laid next to her, taking her into his arms. “Not at all. You… you were just protecting yourself as much as any other. It was your instincts. That makes you honorable.”

“He asked if we could go back to just being friends,” she said as she buried herself in his embrace. “I told him no. There is just too much between us now, and I don’t trust him. I can’t.”

“It’s reasonable. And if he don’t see that, well, fuck ‘em. He don’t deserve you.”

They spent the rest of the night like that, holding each other and talking. They talked about what ever came to their minds until he felt her body relax and her breathing grow heavy. He fell asleep in her arms and slept more soundly than he ever had before.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3112