Shifting Through Time by QueenMegg91
Summary: A mysterious woman appears to Rogue and gives her two options after seeing the future; stay in her own time and have no one believe her, or go back to a time when she can change the future. Rogue's choice will alter the fate of the world and mutants alike.
Categories: X1, X2, X3, AU Characters: None
Genres: Action, Friendship, General
Tags: None
Warnings: Not Beta Read, Not Spellchecked
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 670 Read: 2155 Published: 02/07/2009 Updated: 02/07/2009

1. Shift by QueenMegg91

Shift by QueenMegg91
Author's Notes:
I do not own any of the characters except for Shift. Everything belongs to Marvel.

Rogue sat up with a gasp and gazed around her room. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and tried to calm herself down. It had been a dream, that’s all. Just a dream, no need to worry any one, especially Logan. He’d been up for a long time, especially with the last mission he’d been on. Swinging her legs out of bed she slowly made her way downstairs. Opening the fridge door, she didn’t notice the woman standing by the window.

“Hello Rogue,” a woman’s voice said and Rogue jumped and spun around, the fridge door slamming shut.

“My name,” Rogue said in annoyance. “Is Marie.”

“All right,” the woman said. “I’m Shift.”

“Nice to meet you,” Rogue said. “Why are you here? Did you come in tonight?”

“No,” Shift said with a gentle smile. “I’m here to see you.”

“Why?” Rogue asked, looking over the woman. She was wearing a long white dress and had blond locks hanging to her waist.

“To show you what you’ve done,” Shift said, holding out her hand. Rogue drifted forwards, her mind screaming at her not to, that this woman was dangerous.

“What do you mean?” Rogue asked, placing her hand in Shifts. She tried to pull back, but the woman’s grip was too strong. Shift ignored her and Rogue gasped as colours flashed past her, she could make out the faint shapes of people moving incredibly fast. Then it all slowed down and Rogue found herself in the kitchen. But it had changed, the windows were broken, dust and dirt was everywhere.

“What’s happened?” Rogue whispered, turning in a circle.

“The mansion was attacked,” Shift said sadly. “You were supposed to play a big part in that fight. But you had no powers, so you were evacuated with the rest of the children. You died protecting them. But it did no good, everyone who was in the mansion at the time died.”

“Why are you showing me this?” Rogue demanded, spinning around to glare at Shift. “How do I know you aren’t just an illusionist? This might not be real!”

“It is,” Shift told Rogue softly. “And I’m giving you a choice. Go back to your own time and know what happens, but have no one believe you. Or return to a point in time where it can change and have no memory of this life.”

“Why me?” Rogue asked, looking out at the ruined grounds.

“Because everything that has happened here has something to do with you,” Shift said.

Rogue thought back to what had happened and sighed. It was true, Logan and her had been attacked because of an attempted kidnapping on her. She’d been involved in some way in every mission since she’d arrived at the mansion, whether she wanted to or not.

“I can’t live,” Rogue whispered finally. “Knowing that this is going to happen.”

“You have the potential to do much,” Shift said. “And you would not be able to cope with no one believing you.”

“I won’t remember anything?” Rogue asked. “Nothing at all?”

“No. And you will not be held back either.”

“What do you mean?” Rogue asked, spinning around to look at Shift, but the woman had already put her hands on Rogue’s head and closed her eyes. “Wait! How am I supposed to stop this if I’ve still got the same powers? I’ll just go for the cure again and the same stuff will happen.”

“Do not worry about that,” Shift said with a smile as she began to concentrate. “You will not take the cure again. This timeline will be different from what you are used to.”

Rogue squeezed her eyes shut, praying that this wasn’t a trap and that she wasn’t about to die. Then everything when black and Rogue gasped before feeling a strange grogginess creeping up on her and she slowly feel into a deep sleep.

End Notes:
I know it's short, but it's more of a prologue, so the next chapters will be longer.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3157