See You At Dinner Kid by Ransom99
Summary: A basic short on dealing with the pressures of the people around you, and generally overcoming them. And a surprising outcome.
Categories: Wolverine & the X-Men Characters: None
Genres: Friendship
Tags: None
Warnings: Not Beta Read
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1657 Read: 2531 Published: 06/01/2010 Updated: 06/01/2010
Story Notes:
Sometimes you've got to ignore what people say and live your life. "See You At Dinner Kid" is dedicated to my Wolverine.

1. Something's Gotta Give by Ransom99

Something's Gotta Give by Ransom99
“See you at dinner kid.” That was all he said and it sent Emma on a wild train of thought. It basically left her sitting down at the table I was studying at. I clicked my pen as I stared down at the physics homework due tomorrow. I had three more questions, but with Emma’s penetrating gaze on me I wished I had more.

“What do you want Emma?” I sighed, setting my pen down knowing this would take a while.
She smiles that sexy smile of hers and glanced over her shoulder as though to make sure someone wasn’t there. Her blonde hair flicked perfectly behind her.

“What was that?” she asked her voice smooth. She’s too good at getting people to talk.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said, letting myself look back down at my homework and picking up my pen again.

Emma Frost is a teacher here. Like Logan. So she shouldn’t care. I glanced behind me and saw Bobby watching me from behind some mystery book. He’s listening. He hasn’t been the same since we broke up. But he seemed to believe I had ulterior motives for breaking up with him. I never figured out what they were.

“Logan is rather friendly with you.” She murmured sweetly.

I kept my eyes on my paper trying not to let myself get angry. “That’s because he’s my friend.” I felt the aggression of him building in me. This happened to be a mutual button of ours. People seem to think that we’re sneaking around and it bugs the crap out of both of us.

Perhaps if it were true I would be more understanding for their suspicion. But honestly? I’m not what you would call ‘touchy feely’ and Logan goes for... well a different kind of woman.

“Come on Rogue.” Emma continued. “You can tell me. I wouldn’t say anything.”

I slammed my pen down on the table. “What exactly do you want me to tell you Frosty?” I hissed under my breath. “That I’m nailing him?”

Her gaze didn’t shift at my outburst. “That’s a start.” She said, her tone more joking now. “But he does seem to look at you differently than he does anyone else.”

I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath. “Oh right I forgot about that.” I said looking at her now. “After that little thing you had with him, you never quite let it go.” I sighed. “You’re just being paranoid.”

I saw the fire behind her eyes now. “Nevertheless. You aren’t the one with telepathy here Rogue. I am.” With that she got up and walked out of the room, flicking her hair over her shoulder again. I felt the anger driving through me now.

“What was that about?” I heard a voice behind me ask. I didn’t bother looking, just watched as Bobby walked over and sat down at my table.

I took a deep breath. “Emma seems to believe that Logan and I... well she thinks we have a different relationship than friendship.”

His blue eyes were humorous as he smiled slightly. “Well let’s face it Rogue. You two don’t exactly act like father and daughter.”

“Not you too.” I muttered putting my head in my hands.
“Come on. You gotta’ admit it.” His voice was calming. Like the one that was always in my head. “You guys just, seem closer than you let on.”

“It’s not like that.” I took a deep breath trying to think of a way to explain this. “He’s really the only one that isn’t afraid of me.” Bobby’s eyebrows pulled together but I continued. “I mean he is the only one that isn’t scared of getting close to me. So no, we don’t do anything... but he’s one of the only people who knows what my power feels like but still lets me feel normal.”

Bobby nodded slowly.
“But you do have control of your powers.”

My phone vibrated right next to my book on the table. “Yes.” I told him quickly as I picked it up and looked at the text message. From Logan. It read: Hey, that movie you love is on channel 37. Kate and Leopold or something? Hurry up. It’s started. I’m in my room.

I mashed my lips together as Bobby raised an eyebrow at me. “It’s Jubilee, I gotta go.” Grabbing my books I walked out of the library and turned the corner into the hall. When I finally got to his room he was sitting on his bed leaning against his headboard and some pillows with a bowl of popcorn on his lap.

“You missed him jumping off the building already.” He muttered putting some popcorn in his mouth.

“Yeah well you missed a lovely conversation with Emma.” I said sarcastically as I walked around his bed and sat down on the other side of him where there was more room.
He shook his head. “No I didn’t. And she knew I was listening.”

“Thought so.” I agreed grabbing a handful of popcorn. I didn’t look at him as I watched the movie, Hugh Jackman getting bombarded by Meg Ryan. “You like this movie, don’t you.”

He shrugged. “It’s alright. The girl is a bit up tight.”
“A hard working woman,” I agreed.
Logan rolled his eyes but continued watching. “The guy talks like a pansy.” He stated.

“You mean he’s polite?” I clarified.
“No.” he disagreed, I heard the smile in his voice. “I mean he talks like a pansy.”
“Don’t bash Hugh Jackman.” I ruled immediately.

“Oh, you got a thing for him?” He chuckled.
“Who doesn’t?” I grinned but he ignored me. “I like olden day clothing. It’s weird, I know.”

He glanced over at me, his eyes filled with a thought I would never know. The corner of his mouth curled upward as he thought about what I said. “No comment.” He murmured with a smile.

It wasn’t long after that someone knocked on the door. I jumped and hid behind the bed immediately. After a brief moment of silence I heard Logan moving before I saw him peering over the side of the bed looking at me.

“What are you doing?”
“Shh.” I hissed. “It might be Bobby.”

He rolled his eyes and sat up. “Yeah?” he called.
I heard a female voice. “There you are. Dinner’s starting.”
“Yeah I’ll be down in a bit.” He told Jean.

She hadn’t left yet. “You’re watching Kate and Leopold?”
There was silence and I heard him laugh slightly. “Sure. It’s my movie night.”

I heard her sit down on his side of the bed. I clicked my teeth together and immediately regretted it, because I knew he could hear it. I heard her adjust slightly and knew she was moving closer to him.

“I don’t think this is a good idea Jean.” He said gruffly.
“Why?” she said smoothly.

He took a deep breath. Oh this must be so hard for him. The poor guy is resisting the opportunity to get laid before dinner. He’s gonna kill me.

“Like I said; it’s my movie night.” He muttered. I heard her get up.
“Alright.” She said slowly and walked out. “Hurry up for dinner.” The door closed.

When he looked at me I was leaning against the corner wall with my arms wrapped around my knees. He swung his legs off the bed and took another deep breath before lifting his gaze off the floor to my eyes.

“So Emma’s buggin’ you.” He murmured slowly. I nodded. “Sayin’ what?”
I opened my mouth to speak but couldn’t get the right words. It seemed so stupid now. I should have just ignored her in the first place rather than bring Logan into it.

“Go on kid.”
“She…” I paused. “She thinks we’re pretending we’re just friends.”

“And by that you mean she thinks we’re fucking.” He stated bluntly.
“Yeah. That would be it.”

He let the silence engulf the room. “So?” he said.
I huffed. “So? Are you kidding me Logan? I don’t like people thinking I’m sneaking around!” I stood up angrily. “With you of all people!”

He stood up too. “With me of all people.” He repeated.
I knew he was angry about that comment. “Oh it’s not like… Lord Logan, you just know that we wouldn’t really work. It just seems like it would be wrong.”

“Yeah.” He agreed.
I took a deep breath. “I don’t know… lately because everyone just keeps acting like we are around us. Its like I’m missing out on something.”

His eyebrows pulled together and his hands reached up as he rubbed his chin.

“I’m sorry. It just seems so stupid now and I’m sorry I even brought it up.” He stood up. “But Emma and Bobby were bugging me today…” He started walking towards me. “And Scott was trying to make me talk all last week…”

He took my hands and leaned forward, pressing his lips gently to mine for a little over three seconds. There was surprise at first but after… I knew something that I hadn’t known before.

He pulled back and looked me in the eye. “Anything?” he said quickly.
My gaze flickered to the floor before back to him. “No.” I said, my voice as surprised as I was. There had been nothing… it wasn’t earth shattering or slow motion or anything. It was simply a kiss.

“Great.” He grinned turning off the TV and taking my hand, pulling me towards the door. “Problem solved. Let’s go get dinner.”
End Notes:
Let me know what you thought.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3737