Postmark by glovegrrl
Summary: A mysterious package all the way from the Great White North, what can it mean?
Categories: X1, AU Characters: None
Genres: Shipper, Songfic, Vignette
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 721 Read: 2632 Published: 08/15/2010 Updated: 08/15/2010
Story Notes:
Another one that all but wrote itself.

1. Chapter 1 by glovegrrl

Chapter 1 by glovegrrl
Author's Notes:
The song is "I will always Return" by Bryan Adams.
Rogue hurried up to her room passing a few students who hurriedly jumped out of her way. For the girl with killer skin that was not an uncommon occurrence and she ignored it fairly easily, mostly because right now she wanted them all out of her way, the sooner she got to her room the better, the package clasped in her hand was the sole reason behind that.

It was the first time she had received mail since her 17th birthday when her grandmother had sent fifty dollars and her now favourite green coat, the one she had had the good sense to take with her when she lit out of her home six months later after her mutation surfaced.

This package though was puzzling her, who would send her something? Nobody, aside from the people here, knew where she was. ‘Expect for a few members of the Brotherhood,’ that thought hit her as she was halfway up the final staircase between the front door and her room. Maybe she should take this to the professor?

She paused and looked down at the package in consideration. A small patch of ink caught her attention, ‘A post mark?’ a closer inspection of the mark sent her hurtling up the stairs as fast as she could make her legs move.

There was only one person who would send her something from Canada.

She flew into her room so fast that the door that she pushed open ahead of her hit the wall and bounced back at her, almost tripping her when it collided with her knee as she scrambled to catch it before slamming it shut and throwing the bolt.

She was tearing at the thick paper envelope as she walked across the room to perch on the edge of her bed. A few seconds struggle, and just as she was getting ready to find a pair of scissors to cut it open, the package split, spilling its contents onto the floor.

Hurriedly dropping onto her hands and knees she followed an almost flat piece of plastic as it slid under the bed, grabbing it she pulled it out into the fading evening light.

‘Why is he sending me a CD?’ she thought as she popped the cover open, removing the shiny silver disk and put it into her laptop.

It was song, she quickly discovered as the first cords of a piano sounded from her computers speakers.

I hear the wind call my name
A sound that leads me home again
It sparks up the fire, a flame that still burns
To you I will always return

As the song continued to play she searched the packaging for a note but found only a small scrap of paper that said “Listen.” in Logan’s rushed handwriting.

Restarting the song she did as she was instructed and listened.

I hear the wind call my name
A sound that leads me home again
It sparks up the fire, a flame that still bur ns
To you I will always return

I know the road is long
But where you are is home
Wherever you stay
I‘ll find the way

I’ll run like the river
I’ll follow the sun
I’ll fly like an eagle
To where I belong

I can’t stand the distance
I can’t dream alone
I can’t wait to see you
Yes, I am on my way home

Now I know that it’s true
My every road leads to you
And in the hour of darkness
You’re light that gets me through

You run like the river
You shine like the sun
You fly like an eagle
Yeah you are the one

I’ve seen every sunset
And with all that I’ve learned
Oh, it’s to you
I will always, always return

As the last bars of the song faded out Rogue realised she was crying a few wayward tears had found their way past her lashes and down her cheeks as the words of the song had made sense to her clouded brain.

He was coming home! More importantly though, she wasn’t a complete idiot and those battered old tags he had left in her hand six months ago had meant what she thought, he was coming home... for her.
End Notes:
As you can see the ending is fairly open, I may add to it one day but for now it is complete.
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=3782