Ahm Here by Arachan
Summary: Logan, Marie and Wolverine's thoughts on the Statue of Liberty
Categories: X1 Characters: None
Genres: Angst
Tags: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 719 Read: 1703 Published: 07/05/2001 Updated: 07/05/2001

1. Chapter 1 by Arachan

Chapter 1 by Arachan
Author's Notes:
I finished writing this at about 1am after rwding and ffwding the Statue of Liberty scene a hundred times and listening to Aerosmith's "Fallin' In Love Is So Hard On Me". There's a lot of imagery about Joan of Arc. I compared Logan to Jean (the French "zhan" pronunciation) who was Joan's guardian on her way to see Charles VII in Chinon, at least in the Hallmark version of the movie. I used a subtle reference to the cartoon series (the one before Evolution) about the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix. It's Easter so I threw in a pretty cool prayer Logan makes to God about being crucified; no one be offended. Logan and Wolverine aren't two different characters here, they just think differently. Also, I'd thank Stan Lee for creating the characters but Hugh Jackman and Anna Paquin deserve it more 'cause they make Logan and Marie look good and real and the chemistry's just so there ^_^


* indicates Marie's thoughts

~ indicates Logan's thoughts

' indicates Wolverine's thoughts

"C'mon kid, don't die on me."

Logan cut her from Magneto's metallic stake where for a short while she had burned and nearly burned the whole world with a mad old man's pent rage. But for all the fires of Hell her body was as cool as the wind that had blown Lady Liberty's torch out.

*Ahm here. Ah can hear yah. Logan.*

Her ashes in his leather-clad fingers, the burn scars, the remains of her old life and a souvenir for her reincarnation. "C'mon kid."

*Ahm here. Logan. Ah can hear yah. Ah ain't goin' nowhere, jus' don' leave me.*

Logan's possessive, scorching eyes searched her face for the simplest sign of life. For a moment he even stopped breathing to listen for her heartbeat.

*Ahm in here, in me. Logan. Ah won't leave if you don'.*

"C'mon," his plea was more urgent now. The cynical Wolverine, the animal instinct, growled: 'There ain't nothin' yah can do; she's already dead.' "No," Logan responded angrily.

*But Ah am. A ghost. Don' leave me an' Ah won' have tah follow. 'Cuz so help me God -- and Ah know he's on mah side right now -- Ah'll haunt your evahry footstep. The Southern belle in the white nightgown leanin' down to touch yah while yer dreamin'. 'Cept Ahm part of 'em an' you won' nevah wake up. So jus' stay an' hold me 'til Ahm gone.*

Logan yanked the black glove from his left hand and closed his eyes to pray to a god he didn't believe in. ~You raised yer Son from the dead and he's the Saviour of the whole fuckin' world. So bring her back, my saviour, the one thing I believe in.~

The touch of his hand pressed to her forehead was gentle pressure, but nothing happened. He bent his head to hers and concentrated, willed her back into his world and into his life.

*Ahm here. Logan. Ah can feel yah an' it feels good ... tah jus' be held fer once, one little time ... bah you.*

~How the hell does this work?! She's s'posed to be suckin' me dry -- the only woman I'll make 'n acception for -- so work goddamit!~ The growl came again: 'It's too late, buddy. She's dead.'

*Ahm dead an' yah ain't bringin' me back so jus' hold me taht 'til Ahm gone.*

Like Jean taking Joan from the cross she was crucified on Logan held Marie closer, Magneto's matyr sent to defeat their enemies. He wrapped both his arms around her and nestled her head beneath his chin. If she was dead he may as well mourn for her. So he pressed his face to hers and took her final scent in with a ragged breath. Brushed his lips across her forehead for the first and only time.

Tears burned behind his eyes and they snapped open, wide as the seering flames spread and the pain snaked across his skin.

*Logan. Somethin's hap'nin'. Logan, don' touch me! Let go o' me!*

The Wolverine bit down hard and snarled: 'She's killin' yah, pal.'

~I don't care.~ Like he hadn't cared the day he'd kicked her out of his trailer. The tightening sensation beneath his skin and the vicious slashes gouging themselves a place choked him with pain. But he held on tight, ignored her body trying to push him away, because he didn't want to let go, yet.

"Ohmahgod Logan," Marie gasped against his chest.

His powerful hand slipped from her hair and his supporting right arm unwound itself to fall away from her.

The rogue phoenix watched in horrified anguish as he hit the metal platform. "Logan!" But he lay splayed, unmoving, a dead soldier of Charles's armies she couldn't heal or even touch. "Someone help me!"

~I'm here, kid. I can hear yah. Help's comin'.~

She knelt beside his bleeding body and looked around wildly. "Someone help!" She demanded, "Logan, wake up! Don' leave me!"

~I'm here. Marie. I ain't gonna leave yah. I ain't goin' anywhere.~ His spirit tried to tell her though his voice was numbed.

True to his word, down came a blackbird and rescued them. All Logan had to do to keep his promise was breathe while Marie sat with him, his face warmed by her silk gloved hand.

"Ahm right here."
This story archived at http://wolverineandrogue.com/wrfa/viewstory.php?sid=910