Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay where do I begin? First of all thank you FeeferJ (Jenn) for being my beta and helping me get back into this story. And to all those who have constantly asked "What the hell happened to this story?" Thank you for not letting me lose faith and for keeping me going. I promise you will be rewarded in the last chapter. I just have to work out all the kinks in the first 11 chapters first. ;)

Summerside Roadhouse is the first story I ever wrote, started it way back in 2003. This story has no powers it's a total AU. I hope guys enjoy (some of you again)

Feedback is much loved.
Marie Summers was sitting on a stool at the bar when her dad told her that she would be staying over at her friend's house for the weekend. He had to find somewhere for her to stay every weekend since her mom died until he thought she was old enough to hang around on weekend nights. Her father, Jack Summers, was the local roadhouse owner. When Jack built the roadhouse, he built it with a three bedroom apartment above the bar. It also had a one room apartment that Jack would rent out every once in awhile.

"Daddy," Marie whined, "when will I be old enough to stay here on the weekends?"

"When you’re old enough to drink!" replied Jack Sr.

"But Daddy, Scott and JJ were both allowed to stay when they turned sixteen! And I turn eighteen in July, I don't understand why I just can't stay upstairs!"

"NO! I don't want you hanging around a bunch of redneck cowboys, and when school season starts a bunch of cocky college guys! Besides your brothers started working when they were sixteen, and that's the only reason they were allowed to stay."

"Well, let me start waiting tables. You know I could use the money!"

"No, Marie. You might as well give it up," was Jack Sr's reply.

Marie sighed in frustration. She looked up to see her brother Jack Jr. or JJ as most people called him, come down the steps with a letter in his hand- and a big grin on his face.

"Guess who just got accepted to State with a full scholarship, and a spot on the football team?" he asked.

"I don't know maybe Eli Manning?" replied Marie.

"Good one sis, but I don't think so."

"Well then who could it be?" Marie asked teasingly. He was ready to get out of this small town and "live life." Deep down he had a terrifying fear that he would run this bar the rest of his life and he did not want to do that. It was the same feeling that Marie's oldest brother Scott had before he left four years ago. Somehow, Marie couldn't imagine ever wanting to leave this place.

"How about your finest, most charming brother in the world!"

"What, you mean Scott decided to go back to school?" Marie gave her brother a goofy looking grin and said "JJ, I'm just joking with you. I'm so happy! I know this is what you wanted all along."

"Where's Dad?" asked JJ.

"He's doing pre-shift inventory in the cooler. Daddy, come here quick! JJ's got big news!"

"Dad I got accepted into State."

"Hot Damn! My boy, an All American running back playing for State! I'm so proud I'm going to give everyone their first drink on me tonight! That goes for you too, son!"

Marie left her brother and father to discuss everything in their manly way. She was disappointed she couldn't share in the celebration tonight. She was also thinking about what her dad was going to do since JJ would be moving soon, he would need help with the bar. ‘Maybe,’ Marie thought to herself, ‘Daddy will let me help out now that he will be short handed.’ She could only hope.

A few weeks later..................

"So... when is Scott coming?" asked Kitty.

Marie smiled at Kitty’s attempted innocence. Kitty was trying her best to cover up the crush she had on Scott, even though Marie had known about it for years.

"Why do you wanna know?" Marie teased.

"I was just asking besides I want to make sure I'm wearing my new outfit that day!"

"Kitty, my brother is like nine years older than you. When are you going to come to your senses?"

"Because he's so damn fine!" Kitty sighed and rolled over on Marie's bed to face
the ceiling.

"Why don't you like JJ? He's closer to your age, and besides you said yourself that he was the finest senior at school."

"JJ is more like the older brother I never had. What about you? Who will you be looking at all summer?"

"John asked me out a few times but that's it," replied Marie. "I'm not really into anybody here in this God forsaken town."

"Well, maybe we'll have a new kid in school; or maybe you'll meet a college freshman one night here at the bar! I can't believe your dad caved on letting you work weekends!"

"Well, I think he's still bothered that his only daughter would rather run this place then either of his two sons. But," Marie said getting up to stretch her legs, "I can't wait to start. This summer is going to be great. I feel as though my life is going to start any moment now!"

"I know, I feel it too. Our last summer as high school students, girl we have got to have steady boyfriends by August when school starts!" said Kitty.

"Seeing how we only got a month, that goal seems impossible." Marie laughed at the desperate look on her best friends face. Just then they both heard the distinct sound of a motorcycle drive up into the roadhouse parking lot.

"Who could that be?" asked Kitty.

"I don't know, but whoever it is, is gonna have to get their liquor somewhere else until seven," Marie replied. "Besides, everyone from around here knows that we don't open until then on Tuesdays."

While Marie was talking, Kitty ran to the bedroom window to look outside. "Oh my lord!" Kitty said "You should come and take a look at this guy!"

Marie ran to window, "He's not from around here."

"That's for sure, and I saw him first," said Kitty with a laugh.

"He looks kind of familiar though," Marie said. She went into deep thought searching her mind on where she might have seen the guy before.

"Oh you’re just saying that because I claimed him first. You better stop him before he rings that loud bell and wakes up your dad."

Marie jerked the window open and in a very un-lady like manner hollered out, "HEY! Don't you dare touch that bell!"

"Shit! You scared the hell out of me!" the stranger replied.

"Can I help you?" Marie raised her eyebrow glaring at the stranger, hoping he would leave and not come back until her father was awake.

The stranger couldn't help but grin at the girl. She had the disposition of a bulldog on guard. "Does Jack Summers still own this place?"

"Yeah, he does. Who's asking?" Marie couldn't tell if he was a good guy or a bad guy. He had a rough exterior, yet his eyes were gentle.

"Marie, be nice!" Kitty whispered.

"I'm Logan. Is Jack here?" the guy asked. He set his bag down and put his hands on his hips.

"Yeah, but he's resting before business hours. You can come back then."

"Is Scott here then?" Logan asked.

"No, he's not," Marie answered.

"You're his kid sister aren't you? Marie, right?"

Now Marie was mad. How did this guy even know her name? Who did he think he was?

"No, I'm not. Sorry, but you've got the wrong girl."

"That's funny, you sure got the disposition of a Summers."

"Look here mister, my uncle is the sheriff and he'll shoot your ass if...." Marie was cut off by the sound of her father hollering.

"Marie what in tarnation are doing talking so damn loud when you know I'm trying
to get some sleep!"

"Daddy, there's some man out here wanting to see you. I tried to get him to leave before he woke you up...." Marie stopped when her dad looked out the window and began to speak.

"What the hell can I do for you son?"

"Mr. Jack! You may not remember me but my name is Logan and I used to live here with my dad. You and he were in the military together," Logan was praying he would remember it’d ten years since he had been there.

"Well I'll be damned!" exclaimed Jack. "Are you Carter's boy?"

Logan nodded ‘yes’ and grinned.

"Come on in. Marie will get the door while I get ready," Jack told him before turning to Marie and telling her to let him in, and give him a beer.

While Kitty and Marie walked down the steps and into the bar Kitty pelted Marie with questions.

"Who is that guy? Do you remember him? What do you think he's doing here?"

"Kitty would you calm down! I have no clue who he is other than 'Carter's boy.’ Okay so chill out!" Marie was frustrated. She felt like she should know him but
didn't- and it bothered her. She took her time opening the door and letting Logan in.

"Thanks, kid," Logan said as he walked in.

"Have a seat at the bar. Daddy will be down in fifteen minutes or so," Marie told him.

"Hey Kitty, how is your sister Jeannie doing?" asked Logan.

Before she could answer Marie spoke up.

"Who are you? Are we supposed to know you?" Marie questioned.

"Well the last time I was here you two were somewhere around 7, Jack Jr. was 8,
and Scott was 16. My dad and I moved away then. I used to date your sister," he said as he pointed at Kitty.

"Oh I remember you!" Kitty yelled in excitement. "You and Scott were the best of friends and you had to move way..."

"...when your dad took a job up in Canada," Marie finished for her. "I remember you now. Scott's gonna flip when he sees you. He always wondered what happened to you." How could she forgotten! ‘It must be those fuzzy sideburns.’ Marie started to blush when she remembered the crush she had on him when she was little. "Do you want a beer?" she asked.

"Sure, thanks kid," Logan replied.

"Oh, well I have to go home for supper. Marie you’re still coming over tomorrow right?" Kitty asked.

"Yeah, I'll be there," Marie said absently. She was staring at Logan; he looked older than Scott but still young at the same time. She wondered if he had been
through a lot over the past ten years. He looked as though he carried a lot of emotional baggage with him. "Wait up and I'll walk you out."

"You'll call me later right?" Kitty asked as she got in her car.

"You know it," Marie replied.

"What do you think he's doing here? Think he might be looking for a job?"

"I don't know, but I'll call you before I go to bed and give you all the details. I promise."

"Bye girl."

"Bye Kitty!" Marie called out as she walked back into the bar.

Jack Sr. came walking down the steps and said, "I can't believe how much you look like your Father. How is he doing now days?"

"Well, Sir, he died a year and half after we moved. It was a freak accident at a construction site," Logan replied.

Marie was sitting on a bar stool beside Logan and could see nothing but grief on his face. She wanted to hug him.

"Well, I'm real sorry to hear that. He was my best friend for a long time, not many men like him." Jack Sr. said.

"I know," replied Logan in a sad voice.

"Well, do you ever see much of your mother? I know she remarried when you were younger."

"No, I haven't seen her since before we moved away from here. Stepdad never liked me much."

"Yeah he was always a prick. They haven't been here since your mother's aunt died," Jack told him. "What have you been up to all these years?"

"I joined the military after dad died. I was stationed on the front lines during the war. I saw some brutal shit happen. The only friends I had were both killed in two weeks of each other. After that, I broke both of my legs in a car accident. I got an honorable discharge, and I've been working odd jobs here and there ever since."

"Daddy do you want me to start supper?" Marie asked. She felt like they all needed a breather and Logan looked like he could use a break in the conversation.

"Sure blue eyes, go on up and get it started. Set the table for three, Logan’ll be joining us."

"Logan do you want drink sweet tea or will have another beer?" Marie asked.

"I'll have sweet tea, I haven't had real southern sweet tea in awhile," Logan said with a small smile.

"Mr. Jack..."

"Just Jack is fine"

"Alright, umm... Jack I was wondering...I mean I know this is a lot to ask, but I was wondering if I could get a job with you, maybe rent out that old apartment if you still have it?” Logan asked nervously.

"Logan that would be real good, JJ moved away to college and I'm short handed."

"Well, I could only pay 200 dollars on rent for awhile, but I promise that once I get on my feet I'll pay you what your asking price is."

"Well, how about we make a deal? On the hours were closed, you do some repair work around here, and we'll let the first few months rent go."

"I don't know... I'm not exactly broke I could pay you something like a down payment."

"I'll let you know when and how much your rent is due," Jack told him. By the tone in his voice Logan knew the subject was closed.

Marie had heard all this from where she was standing on the steps. All she could think about was what the summer would be like with him around. Oh my god! She thought to herself, the finest guy ever is going to be living in my house!

Later, Marie knocked on Logan's door with sheets, quilts, towels and anything else he might need.

"Here are all the things you asked for," she said when he opened the door. "Is there anything else you need while I'm here?"

"Wow what a contrast from the spitfire you were earlier," Logan smirked.

Marie blushed hotly. She knew she deserved that and that she should apologize. "I'm sorry for tha..."

"Forget it kid," he cut her off, "if I was in the same position I would’ve tried to get my scary ass to leave too."

"Well the bar opened up at seven. Daddy said that you could get some rest if you need it. It's usually slow on week nights except for the locals."

"I might go down and visit anyway. See if I spot anybody I know."

"You probably will, they're the same people that have been coming since I can remember."

"I heard your dad say that Scott's coming this weekend."

"Yeah he works for some rich guy up north, the guy lets him take off for a few weeks here and there. You should see him now, he's turned into a damn city boy."

"That's funny. I always thought he would end up working here despite his best efforts to get away."

"He and JJ both want nothing to do with the bar. Don't get me wrong they love it, but they want to do something else. Me on the other hand, I love this place. It pisses Daddy off that his daughter wants to take over one day, but deep down I think he's damn happy that one of us wants to keep it."

"You know, I noticed you have a dirty mouth for such a young girl," Logan said.

If he was teasing, Marie didn't catch it because she was mad. "I am not so young! I am about to turn 18 in a couple of weeks. Besides, I wouldn't be so young if you were so old!" Marie knew what she said was lame and by the look coming off Logan's face she could tell that her statement didn't help improve her image to him.

"Aw hell, why did I even bother," Marie muttered as she turn to walk away.

"Hey blue eyes wait!" Logan said laughing.

Marie turned around and looked him straight in he eyes. "No one but my father calls me blue eyes."

"Sure thing, kid." Logan said as Marie left. He laughed at her frustrated sigh as he called her kid.

Around eight thirty Marie went downstairs, Bobby was coming to pick her up to go to the softball field for the first official night game of the summer. She heard Toby Keith and Willie Nelson singing from the jukebox. That meant her uncle Tony was here, ever since he was made sheriff he would play that song as soon as he walked in.

"Hey Tony, how's it going? Marie asked.

"It’s going great, Marie," Tony told her. "How's JJ coming along with practicing with a college team now?"

"He likes it alright, we haven't heard from him in a couple of days. He's supposed to be coming down this weekend when Scott gets here. Where's Daddy at?"

"He's showing Logan where he keeps everything."

"Will you tell him I went with Bobby to meet everybody at the ball field. I'll be back around midnight."

"Yeah, sure will sweetie. Ya'll stay out of trouble because I don't feel like arresting anybody tonight," her uncle said teasing her.

"*They* will Uncle Tony, I promise," Marie said smiling.

"Hey!" he shouted as she walked out the door, "That goes for you too missy! Just because you're my favorite niece doesn't mean I won't arrest your ass too!"

"I'm your only niece!"

"Where the hell does she think she's going this late?" Jack asked as he and Logan came from the back.

"She's going with Bobby to meet the others at the ball field. Don't worry Jack, they're all good kids," Tony told his older and only brother.

"Well, at least she's going with Bobby, I don't trust that John."

"He's just a boy, Jack," said Tony.

"Yeah? Well, I remember his daddy when he was a boy," Jack said with worry.

"Say Logan," Tony began as he turned to Logan who was serving a few beers to some folks, "Jack said you served in the military during the war."

"Yes Sir, I did," Logan told him mildly. "It's not something I really like talking about though, if you don't mind."

"No, not at all. I understand when it comes to experiences like that. Sometimes a man just has to keep things to himself."

"You'll have to excuse my brother Logan, since he's made sheriff in this town, he's made it a point to know every damn thing a persons done in his life."

Logan laughed as he wiped the bar down. "How many people do you usually wait on during the week?"

"On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays we serve about 100 drinks. Thursdays about 200. The weekends, well... it gets hard for me to count that high. About September business usually picks up because the university starts then."

"I hope I get the hang of things by then. Do you let Marie work in the bar?"

"Legally no, but seeing how the law is my brother I can get away with it," Jack said while looking at his brother who just nodding and smiled a Logan. "That reminds me, when JJ starts coming with his buddies on the weekends I told him that they can have two beers each and nothing more. At least one person is to be the DD. Now Marie and her friends are absolutely forbidden to drink alcohol."

"I understand," Logan said seriously.

"Now let me show you how to rig the jukebox," Jack said while slapping him on the back.

Meanwhile at the ball field............

"John I think we should stop," Marie said breathless. She and John had come out to his truck to get his cigarettes when they started making out.

"Come on Marie let's go a bit further," he said while moving in and kissing her again.

"No, I think we should go back to the game. They might be wondering where we are." She got out of the truck started walking away. John ran to catch up with her and grabbed her arm.

"Hey what's your problem? I thought you wanted this," he said with anger.

"Get your hand off of me and don't ever grab me like that again," Marie stated. She removed his hand from her arm.

"Alright bitch go back to who ever else your fuckin' and don't think you can come back just when it’s convenient for ya," he shouted as she walked back to the field.

"Yeah, well you can kiss my ass!" she shouted without looking back. She was about to cry. She just wasn't ready for the next step and she's gone further with John than she has with any other boy. ‘Asshole. I can't believe he would say those things because I wouldn't sleep with him.’

Kitty came running up when she saw Marie coming back alone. "Are you okay? What did that shithead do?"

"Nothing, Kitty, just drop it okay." Marie turned around to see John's truck stirring up dust as he spun out.

"Alright," Kitty said as she gave Marie's arm a comforting squeeze. Marie let out an ‘ouch' when Kitty's hand touch the place where John had grabbed her. "Marie, girl that's gonna leave a mark."

"I know. What a night to wear a sleeveless shirt," Marie said trying to look at her bruise.

Bobby chose that moment to come up and asked if everything was alright. Marie asked if he would take her home early.

"Kitty, please don't tell anyone about what happen."

"I won't, but you should tell your uncle."

"If I do daddy will find out what I was doing and he would definitely change his mind about me working at the bar. Please Kitty?" Marie was desperate. She knew Kitty would do anything for her, but when it came to things like this Kitty was all for doing the right thing.

"I promise Marie, but if he does it again I'm telling someone," Kitty vowed.

"Thanks, KitKat," Marie whispered in her ear as she hugged her.

During the drive home Bobby didn't say a word about any of it. As they sat in the parking lot Marie tried to think of what to say. The neon sign "Summerside Roadhouse" flashing above them. "Marie," Bobby began, "you and John have been my friends since kindergarten. Now I'm not going to say anything to your dad or your uncle, but I am going to talk to John. Also, I'm not going to be your decoy and then something happens again, so if you and John want to see each other you'll have to do it another way."

"Okay Bobby, thanks." Marie got out the car and watched him drive off. She readied herself to face her dad. It as eleven o'clock and she prayed that he would be in the back cleaning and not out on the floor. She could here the jukebox playing Eagles' Desperado' through the entrance doors. She sighed heavily as she walked in.

Seeing no one on the floor. She started quickly towards the stairwell behind the bar.

"Hey kid, you’re home early."

Shit! Busted. "Yeah, well the girls kicked butt so we got done early." Marie said as she turned to face him, praying that he wouldn't be able to tell that she had been crying. "Where's Daddy?"

"Well, I told him I would finish cleaning so he went on up to bed."

"That was nice of you."

"The least I could do since I woke him up this afternoon."

"How did you like your first night working at the famous 'Summerside Roadhouse'?" Marie asked.

"It's not that bad. I actually like it, but I guess you should ask me after my first weekend." He started to sweep the massive floor. "I've never seen people eat so many peanuts. Look at all these shells on the floor."

Marie laughed "I bet uncle Tony sat in that chair over there. He eats the most. It was his idea to serve them in the first place. Do you want any help putting the chairs up?"

"Sure, if you want, thanks kid."

Marie rolled her eyes at the endearment, it obviously was there to stay. She started focusing on arranging the chairs on the table when she heard Logan say...

"What the hell happened to you arm, kid?"

Marie started to stammer, "I umm....well it was...."

"Looks like someone grabbed you pretty hard." Logan gently held her arm, looking at the nasty bruise.

"Well I was tryin' to steal home when the guy who was third baseman grabbed me. It's no big deal. We were all kiddn' around, he was sorry he got so carried away."

Logan studied her face to see if she was lying. Yep. Definitely not the truth. "I can finish up this last part. Thanks for your help, kid."

"Your welcome, night Logan." As Marie walked up the stairs closed her eyes in relief, happy that he didn't press the issue.

She smiled at the thought of Logan living here. She didn't know why but she felt like her life really was about to start at any moment. What she didn't realize is that perhaps...it just did.