Author's Chapter Notes:
Taken from Uncanny X-Men, issue 171-172,173 or so. The X-Men have ventured, with the newest member Rogue (who had just recently defected from the Brotherhood), to Japan for Logan's wedding to Mariko. On their arrival, they X-Men are poisoned by someone out to assassinate Mariko. Logan and Rogue are the only 2 X-Men well enough to try and track down their attackers before they succeed in murdering his future wife. I tried to stay loyal to the comic, and have taken a fair amount of dialog from the issues.
The guide books advise that if one was looking for a good time in Tokyo, to check out the Ginza. However, a good time was the last thing on Logan's mind as he sat, preoccupied, at a sheltered corner table in the posh Japanese restaurant. He was in a rank mood and neither the ornate décor nor the tediously prepared cuisine could serve to placate him. Contributing to his malcontent was the very presence of his `partner'. Though naturally inclined to work alone, Logan knew one could occasionally find solace in a teammate. In this instance, however, he was more than agitated to have been relegated to rely on aid from some punk teenager. Not that he was one to hold a person's age against them. He and Kitty had worked masterfully together on more than a few occasions. It was more who that teenager happened to be and what she'd done.

Masterfully wielding his chopsticks, Logan ate the food before him mechanically. He wasn't particularly hungry, but knew his unnatural metabolism needed the fuel. It had been a long, convoluted day, and he wasn't surprised to find the meal he would have usually savored now offered him no pleasure. His mind was absolutely preoccupied. The scenery around him afforded him little distraction from his thoughts and with great effort he focused on the other occupant at the table.

Rogue, the only name by which she was known, sat across from him uncharacteristically silent. Her "gift" was the ability to absorb the powers, memories, the total identity of whoever she touched. She had no control over her power, the slightest physical contact triggered the transfer and while usually the effects were only temporary, once it was permanent. Her victim was an old friend of Logan's, and that wasn't something easily forgotten or forgiven.

The girl was obviously uncomfortable with all the attention she was receiving. It wasn't everyday the people on the island of Japan saw a Caucasian girl with red and white hair. That she stood almost a full head taller than most of the women there didn't help matters either. Not many women frequented a place like this in the company of such a rough-looking man. Especially not one so young and so oddly dressed in a green full body suit with matching gloves.

Chewing slowly, Logan looked her over, wondering just how old his cohort really was. On first inspection, one would have guessed Rogue to be in her early 20's. Her body was fully matured, over-matured one could say, and impeccably defined. Logan surmised the girl had been subjected to some pretty rigorous training during her time with the Brotherhood. He cringed at the mere thought of Mystique as he reached for his sake. Rogue's face might have been a better indication of her age, save for one startling feature. Her lips were admirably full and her smooth skin still taunt with youth. Yet her eyes were strangely aged. Large, brilliant green and ominously expressive, they spoke of hardships that should not have been known by one so young. It was quite obvious in the manner in which she sized everything up, scrutinizing all she saw with a rigid, watchful gaze. However, despite herself and the airs she put on, she was not old enough to have mastered the ability to hide her feelings. That was the real `tell' for Logan. Rogue was not totally aware or sure of herself quite yet. As was evident by the awkwardness she exhibited as the men around them unabashedly gawked at her. He grinned. She was uncomfortable and it pleased him. It served her right for insisting on tagging along.

As though feeling his eyes on her, Rogue regarded him and in turn, the sake, plainly desiring a cup of her own. He cleared his throat, gaining her attention and shook his head in disapproval causing her to glower and avert her gaze. Good, at least she knew her place. She may not have liked it, but he was in charge. He glanced at her plate, nodding at the untouched food.

"You not hungry? Or maybe you don't care for the local cuisine?"

She looked down and shook her head.

"It ain't that," she replied, her southern lilt connecting the words. "That poison may not have taken me out, but it sure seems to have squashed my appetite for the time bein'."

He nodded slowly, not wanting to be reminded of the misfortune that had befallen his teammates, his friends. They had come to Japan at his request. Guilt gnawed at him, making his nerves raw.

"Try some of the tea then," he said brusquely. " Green tea is supposed to have a calming effect on the stomach."

Ignoring him, she shifted in her seat lightly, sweeping the room slowly with narrowed eyes. Two men close by caught her attention. They were having an animated conversation, of which, as indicated by their gesturing, she was evidently the subject. Openly their eyes raked her up and down. She met one of the men's gazes and glared at him, curling her upper lip into an impressive sneer.

"Piss off," she growled in Japanese, favoring them both with a look of utter disgust. The men abruptly fell silent and turned away from her. Smothering his initial surprise, Logan gave her a light warning.

"Easy, kid. Don't go making a scene. We don't want to be causing any trouble, `least not yet."

Rogue fumed quietly.

"Ah don't appreciate being leered at by perverts."

"Relax. Not everyone's accustomed to seeing a woman who is a dead ringer for a red-haired skunk."

She gave him a hard look.

"Ah wouldn't give a shit if it was my hair they were staring at!" she hissed.

"Settle down, Rogue. They don't bite."

"Yeah, but they keep it up and Ah might." she huffed. The kid certainly had a trigger hair temper. He regarded her blandly.

"I would have thought you'd enjoy the attention."

"Under different circumstances, Ah might. But this ain't the kind of attention Ah'm partial to. There's a world o' difference between a fella thinking of things to do with you and a creep scheming up stuff to do to you, if ya catch my drift."

Unfortunately, he did, though he would have preferred not to. The chance of a man doing anything with or to her in that sense seemed a bit improbable, given her thieving skin. Flesh he had been punished by more than once. Maybe Rogue was, in most mens' eyes, a looker. To him she was more like Venus flytrap: beautiful, alluring, and merciless to those who were foolish enough to stray too close. Taking another mouthful of food, he changed the subject.

"You didn't tell me you spoke Japanese."

"There's a lot of things you don't know `bout me."

The more the better, he contemplated ruefully. Noticing his scowl, she continued quickly.

"Mystique trained me in several languages. Enough to get by, anyway." She shrugged. "'Sides, that phrase Ah overheard Kitty teachin' Piotr on the plane here."

Logan grinned. He'd been the one to teach Kitty that. He took another sip of sake and returned to his meal, unobtrusively maintaining a careful lookout. Rogue sighed impatiently.

"What exactly we doin' here anyhow?"

"Waiting."

She smirked. Patience, it seemed, was not her strong suit either.

"For what?"

"For someone who has information I need. He aint showed yet."

"What makes you so sure he will?"

"'Cause I know. This joint, the Ginza, is his. So get your panties out of a bunch, kid. We'll see some action soon enough. `Til then try and act casual. You're wound up tighter than a friggin' watch spring."

He debated letting her have some of his sake, if only to loosen her up a bit.

"Easy for you to say. You don't have half the damn bar starin' at you."

"Hey, no one asked you to come along." He replied gruffly. The remark silenced her. She stared down as her hands as if suddenly finding the texture of the fabric of her gloves fascinating. The sake would be a bad idea he concluded. Rogue was foolishly flirtatious even when she was in full control of her faculties. A trait he chalked up to her trying to compensate for her inability to touch. He didn't need to risk her putting anyone in a coma.

"Look, when he does show, you follow my lead, got me? I'll be the one to approach him. You watch my back. He'll have allies here. We don't want to make any more of a mess than absolutely necessary. Understand?"

She nodded mutely, finally taking a sip of her tea, her gloved hands precariously grasping the slick sides of the small porcelain cup. She winced slightly as the liquid hit her stomach. Quickly she set the cup down.

That poison was something else. Powerful enough to affect even me, Logan mused. His healing factor had flushed most of it out of his system. Yet it had been potent enough to even temporarily incapacitate Rogue, despite her near invulnerability.

Still bothered her enough to keep the kid from eating, he noticed. She had not been obligated to accompany him. No one would have thought any less of her if she had remained at the hospital to fully recover. But she had insisted, despite the protest of the doctors. Her unyielding resolve led him to question her motivation. Perhaps she was trying to prove herself. In the end it didn't matter. The bottom line was he had no other options.

"Well, while we're waitin', how `bout you enlighten me on what's goin' down?"

Rogue didn't know much about the situation. He figured he at least owed it to the girl to let her know what exactly she had gotten herself involved in.

"Mariko's father was the head of a clan, one of the most treacherous of all Japanese underworld clans. When he passed on, Mariko inherited his place, his title. She's got a half-brother, Harada, who thinks he should be the rightful heir. And he isn't alone."

He let out a deep breath, running a hand through is thick mane of unruly hair.

"Hell, he's probably right. He's a sick son-of-a-bitch, a much better fit for a murderous gang than Mariko. The only way he can become lord though, is at the death of his half-sister."

"So you sayin' that this guy us tryin' to bump Mariko, his own flesh and blood, off?"

"You got it. He won't stop at nothing `til she's dead. Even if it means going through the X-Men."

"So how you plan on stoppin' him?"

"Only way I can, darlin'. By finding him first and ending this. Akio, he's the owner of this place, he knows a lord by the name Nabatone, who can tell us where to find Harada, the Silver Samurai, as he calls himself. That's who we're waiting for."

"Who is this Nabatone?" The name sounded familiar to her, but her mind wasn't clear enough yet to try and figure out why.

"He's the head of a rival clan. From what I can tell, Harada apparently made a deal with him in his effort to seize the Yashida clan. Harada is either a genius or a fool. Nabatone is every bit as deceitful as the Silver Samurai. He wouldn't be helping Harada unless he knew there was a way to profit from it. Either he thinks that he will be able to manipulate Harada once he gains control of the Yoshida, or he plans on killing or getting Harada killed as well."

"You think the Samurai is aware of this?"

"Don't know for certain. He can't be stupid enough to trust Nabatone. And as we've seen, he's working with Viper. She's equally ambitious. More than likely they have a deal worked out. She helps him off Mariko and he'll help her get the power she's after."

"She scratches his back and he'll scratch hers, huh?"

"Yeah, the question is, just how deep?"

Logan finished his meal and settled back reading a Japanese paper, though he found his concentration severely lacking. They had wasted the day chasing specters and had turned up only one solid lead. To say he was frustrated was the understatement that ate Cleveland. Rogue pushed her food around her plate aimlessly with her chopsticks. An uncomfortable silence hung between the two. After a moment, she cleared her throat lightly.

"So, uh, how do you think they're doin'?"

Logan set his paper down.

"When I checked in with Mariko last she said they were doing as well as could be expected. They made it through the night, the hardest part is over. Mariko's got the best of the best doctors workin' on `em. She says the docs were surprised at how well they are recovering. But then again, they don't know the X-Men. Takes quite a bit to take us out."

He clenched his jaw. The attack on his friends had acutely agitated him. Despite his bravado, he was worried. The X-Men were his only family, outside of Mariko. Kitty was practically a daughter to him. He alone was responsible for bringing them to Japan. They had come to share one of the greatest moments in his life, yet instead they lay hospital beds, fighting for their lives. And of all people, he and Rogue were left standing: he didn't deserve to be sitting here. As far as he was concerned, neither did Rogue. A dangerous current of rage flowed beneath his cool exterior. He fought to keep composed. If he gave into his anger he would risk losing his friends and his bride-to-be. Mariko's life was in his hands. He would have the opportunity to avenge his comrades soon enough.

To his surprise, Rogue appeared to be genuinely concerned about the X-Men. He squelched the impulse to ask her why she gave a damn. She'd tried in the past, to do them all in on her own, and had nearly succeeded on several occasions. Perhaps she too shared in his guilt. Or maybe she was hoodwinking them all. He wasn't sure which was the truth, nor was he in a position to care. Storm was MIA. His gut told him she was safe. Or at least as safe as one could be in the company of Yukio. Ororo had vanished with the mysterious woman shortly after they had been poisoned. Storm was a grown woman and Logan knew firsthand she could manage herself. Logan would have to trust in that for now. He had enough on his plate to deal with.

As the hour grew late, the crowd in the bar began to dwindle and the lights were dimmed. He sensed a change in the atmosphere and the sudden wariness the staff exhibited toward the two Gaijins, himself in particular. The bartender whispered something to a waiter, who nodded and disappeared into a back room. Aiko was here. He didn't need to have witnessed the exchange to determine that fact though. He had smelled the man and his imported cologne the instant he had come in. Obviously Aiko was hiding in the back somewhere. Logan stalled for several moments, waiting for a few more patrons to leave. When only a handful of regulars remained, he decided it was time to act. He set his paper down slowly and leaned in over the table towards Rogue.

"Look sharp, girl. It's show time."

Rogue snapped to attention, a sudden sparkle, not unfamiliar to Wolverine, lit her eyes.

"Like I said, follow my lead. You got my back. If something comes up, I'm trustin' you to handle it quickly and efficiently." His voice was low, as he looked her dead in the eye. "These people are deadly, Rogue. We don't need anymore casualties on our side."

She smiled at him sweetly.

"You got it, boss."

He rose quickly and approached the hallway he had seen the waiter duck into moments before. Two men dressed in black moved rapidly to intercept him. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Rogue looking about carefully as the last of the patrons, as if sensing trouble brewing, abruptly took their leave.

"Need to speak with Aiko." Logan spat out roughly in Japanese, dispensing with all formality. These men deserved no respect.

"I am sorry, but you cannot. He is not here," one of the men replied evenly.

Logan moved like lightning, taking down one of the men with a solid uppercut. He easily dodged a swing thrown by the other, and with surprising grace, Logan grabbed the man by the neck and released his claws. Several men moved to aid their comrade and Rogue turned to face them with a malevolent grin. She slipped into combat stance, flexing her fingers.

"Ah wouldn't do anything if Ah were you," she warned almost playfully. She raised one hand and drew her finger across her throat, indicating the fate that would befall their friend if they did not heed her. The men held their ground.

"Aiko, you coward, show yourself!" Wolverine bellowed. "I've got business with you and I won't hesitate to take out your men and your lovely establishment to get to you."

Aiko appeared suddenly, brandishing a gun.

"Call off your dogs." Wolverine commanded, inching his claws closer to the neck of the man he held firmly. Aiko nodded and his men obligingly stepped back.

"I would be careful who you address as a "coward" you Gaijin dog."

He fired a shot at Logan, one he easily outmaneuvered. Abruptly Logan threw the man he held through a nearby table and in one fluid motion, closed in on Aiko, slicing cleanly through the muzzle of his gun. He pinned Aiko to the wall, blades mere centimeters from Aiko's neck.

"If the shoe fits, Aiko. I don't have time to fuck around with you. I need to know where Nabatone is. Now!"

The man laughed.

"You think I will tell you?"

"It's already a lousy night for business, Aiko. You want me to do the same for your health? I won't ask for the information again."

Aiko swallowed hard. Rogue's voice rang out, her brogue peppered with inappropriate joviality.

"Y'all better cooperate, sugar. We've been getting' the runaround all evenin' an' it's makin' Wolverine a wee bit testy."

Aiko gave her a look that would have turned milk sour. He was fighting hard to remain calm, but the beads of sweat forming on his brow belied his fear.

"I dare not betray my oath of silence. It would mean my life."

"In that case, bub," Logan drew back his arm preparing to strike, "you got a problem."

Rogue focused her attention on the scene before her, unaware of the sleek forms converging on her from the shadows. She leaned back casually against the bar.

"Ah do so enjoy watchin' a professional work. Playin' your sidekick is provin' to be a real education, Wolvie."

Without warning, a one of the men attacked, cutting Rogue off. Playing the sai he held, he struck Rogue forcefully in the shoulder. His eyes widened in shock as the blade bent.

"In more ways than one!" Rogue exhaled quickly, surprised by the man's boldness. Recovering from the ambush, she reached behind herself swiftly grabbing the man roughly by the collar. With minimal effort she lifted him clear of the floor.

"That, sir, is no way to treat a lady."

In a sweeping arc, she hefted the man over her head and slammed him into the floor with a bone-cracking thud. She looked down the bridge of her nose to the broken man firmly imbedded in the floorboards.

"Don't do it again."

Aiko gasped in amazement at the brutal display of strength.

"You're out of options, Aiko. I want the Grand Oyabun of the Yakuza, Nabatone Yokuse."

Aiko squirmed as Wolverine brought his claws slowly towards the man's face.

"You'll never reach him, Gaijin. Nabatone-san is defended by a veritable army, the finest martial artists in Nippon!"

"That's my problem. Yours is more immediate."

Aiko swallowed slowly, considering his options. Survival by any mean necessary was his nature. Reluctantly he told them was they wanted, trusting that whatever transpired, he'd come out ahead. Either Wolverine will kill the old man or vice-versa. Satisfied, Wolverine flung Aiko to the ground. Sheathing his claws, he watched as the man scrambled to his feet and fled.

"What's out next move, Wolvie?" Rogue questioned as she approached him from behind. Logan produced a cigar from his pocket unceremoniously biting the end off and lighting it.

"Nabatone." He replied, releasing a thick plume of smoke. "He'll lead us to Viper and the Silver Samurai."

"And then?"

"Things get nasty." Taking another deep puff, he strode to the door and after a careful look, out into the street, Rogue at his heels. Outside they mixed with the night rush on the streets. A bit overcome by the brilliance of the neon lights that now surrounded them, Rogue glanced around nervously. They didn't exactly blend in.

"You think they'll follow us?"

"Nah, they know where we're headed and they want no part of that."

They settled into a quick pace.

"You think he told us the truth?"

"Yeah, I'm sure of it."

"But if what Aiko said is true, he just basically signed his own death warrant."

"He didn't have much of a choice. Not telling me would have meant death as well. He knows if he lied to me, the result will be the same. He's gambling that I'll finish the old bastard before he has a chance to exact revenge against the one who betrayed him."

Logan suddenly pivoted, grabbing Rogue forcefully by the arm and pulling her into a dark alley. Coming to a halt, Logan sniffed the air.

"Now what?" Rogue asked jerking her arm away from him, confused and a tad annoyed by his actions. She only liked to be touched on her terms.

"We fly."



Logan had Rogue do a quick aerial reconnaissance over the ground of the old lord's estate. To his surprise, he saw no guards of any sort. He motioned for her to set them down in the woods just outside the curiously darkened dwelling.

"Ah thought he said Nabatone was guarded by a veritable army. That was too easy." she whispered to him as they lurked hidden in the shadows of the forest that surrounded the grounds.

"We ain't in yet, kid. Nabatone's got the place wired to the gills, trust me on that. His only fault was he didn't take a flier into consideration. Not too smart."

Rogue squinted as she examined the mansion.

"No guards."

"Doesn't look like it."

Soundlessly he crept to the entrance.

"Stay close and follow my lead."

Rogue rolled her eyes. Logan was beginning to sound like an overplayed record.

Ah swear you'd think he was under the impression Ah've never done this before.

"Sho nuff, boss, anything you say." she drawled out slowly, intentionally thickening her accent as she followed him, settling into a cautious run.

"You think we're playing games, kid?" his voice, a low whisper, carried back to her.

"No sir, Ah'm just not afraid of bein' hurt. One of the benefits of bein' invulnerable."

They approached a large imposing statue of the Buddha sitting in the middle of a foyer of sorts. The moonlight streaming in through the window distorted the Awakened One's peaceful repose. The cool stone lit softly in blue tones radiated an air of foreboding. He looked over his shoulder at her.

"Famous last words."

"Mah stars, Wolvie, you sound jealous!"

Logan choked on his retort as he suddenly halted, holding up a hand to stay her.

"Someone is downstairs. Alone."

Rogue stepped past him rapidly. She was tired and her stomach had not stopped lurching since she had awakened in the hospital earlier that day. She was intent on ending this cat-and-mouse game.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go get the sucker!"

In her haste, she failed to see laser beam light as she strode on confidently ahead, and the robot activated by her breaking of the beam. With his heightened sensed, Logan heard a click and in his peripheral vision, caught sight of a floating orb, moving too fast to be seen by the average human. It fired a single shot at the intruder. For a fraction of a second he was tempted to let the kid take the hit, to let her find out just what her stolen invulnerability's limitations were. But he might need her later. With stunning speed, he lunged for Rogue, sweeping her legs and taking her down as the blast just missed them. A horrendous explosion rocked the room and the air was instantly filled with smoke. As it cleared they found themselves tangled on the floor, Rogue on top. Her eyes were wide as she regarded the remains of the statue, now smoldering pile of rubbish. Logan shook her by the shoulders forcefully.

"Next time watch your step. That could have been you!"

Rogue looked down at him, evidently confused by his unexpected display of concern. Slowly her _expression transformed, a glint mischief played in her eyes.

"Mah hero." The words come out husky and breathless. "A save like that deserves a reward."

At another time, with any other woman, Logan might have enjoyed his current position. However, in this case, he found it completely unsavory. The voice may have been Rogue's, but the behavior reminded him painfully of someone else. A person who, because of Rogue, was for all purposes, dead. Her face was too close to his, her lips too close to his own

"No."

A swift and strong, though not fully articulated upper cut to her jaw accented his words. He held his fist in place under her chin, his unforgiving claws lurking just below the surface of his skin punctuated his meaning. He studied her for a moment, their eyes locked, neither of them speaking. Satisfied she had comprehended his message, he roughly pushed her off and rose to his feet. Still sprawled on the ground, Rogue rubbed the spot where he'd struck her. He looked down at her with revulsion. He didn't need this kind of shit right now.

"Don't ever pull a stunt like that, make a threat like that t'me or any other X-Man even as a joke, understand?"

"Ah…Ah didn't mean any harm," she stuttered sheepishly, her eyes downcast.

"That's why you're still breathin'."

He stalked off. Maybe he had overreacted. Perhaps it was Rogue's nature to josh around, he didn't know. There was very little he did know about the girl. Except that she obviously had a basic lack of good judgment and a dangerous sense of humor. He was sure, however, she had not truly intended to hurt him. He relented momentarily, glancing back to make sure she was behind him. It had to be difficult for someone so young to keep herself in check all the time. He almost regretted he'd had to give her such a brutal reminder. Almost. He shrugged the though aside, he had a job to finish. Sniffing the air once more, he picked up the strange scent he'd been tracking, following it to a closed door. He motioned for Rogue to stand behind him, giving her the signal for silence. Leaning in close, he listened for a moment. He heard nothing, no voices, and no movement. Not even the sound of breathing came from the room on the other side of the door. He smelled only one scent. He'd been right, Nabatone was indeed alone. Giving Rogue a curt nod, he threw back the screen.

"Bingo."

Nabatone was kneeling behind a small table on the floor at the far side of the room. His form oddly rigid, he did not acknowledge the intruders. Slowly, Logan approached the figure. Rogue remained positioned as a lookout just inside the entrance.

"Wolverine, what's that smell?" The girl held up a hand to her face in repulsion. Logan's reply was flat.

"Decay. Our esteemed crime lord Nabatone Yokuse joined his ancestors well over a week ago."

At least, Wolverine thought to himself as he studied the decomposing body before him. He heard Rogue approach.

"Don't come any closer, kid. He isn't very pretty."

Rogue's voice was small as it drifted to him over the short space of the murky room.

"But didn't Lady Mariko say she'd seen Mr. Nabatone earlier tonight? That'd he helped arrange the meeting? How'd he do that if he was dead?"

Realization hit Logan like a wrecking ball.

"It must have been an imposter. Damn it to Hell, we've been suckered! While we're out in the boondocks chasin' smoke the Samurai has a clear shot at Mariko and the X-Men."

Panic seized Logan and he turned, rushing back through the door with Rogue following suite. Adrelalne fueled Logan as they raced from the house, Rogue seemingly in synch with him. She became airborne the instant she hit the night air, her arms suddenly encircling Logan's chest.

"Get us to the hospital! Now!" he bellowed not realizing he was already clear of the ground.

"Hang on, boss!" she called to him with misplaced mirth. "It's gonna be a bumpy ride!"



He knew Rogue could fly fast, he'd heard her create sonic booms once before. Yet, one could not comprehend that kind of speed until they have experienced it firsthand. It felt like the wind sheer alone was going o flay his skin clean off. Despite the knowledge that Logan was extremely uncomfortable, Rogue did not slow down. They couldn't spare even a millisecond if they hoped to save the X-Men and Mariko. Instead she simply latched into to Logan more securely, understanding that he would not be able to hold on merely with his own strength. He was pleased to know that despite her nonchalance, Rogue understood the gravity of the situation. Their pace notwithstanding, Logan had a sick feeling they would be too late. After what seemed like an eternity to Logan, they reached their destination, barreling through the sterile hospital corridors. Loagn could hear a woman's voice shouting. He caught sight of the speaker, a striking woman clad, like Rogue, entirely in green. They had made their appearance just in time to witness Viper commanding her minions to destroy Logan's family. Rogue dropped him and rolling to slow his momentum, he saw her careen headlong into the small army Viper had amassed, scattering them like bowling pins. He made a mental note to thank her for the effort later.

"Viper hon, that ain't very sociable. Maybe your playmates better delay their visit `til y'all learn some better manners!"

With the breaking of glass, Rogue cleared the hallway of Viper and her men, hurling them out of the hospital window and into the adjoining courtyard, leaving Logan to face the Samurai alone. The ninjas were quick to regain their footing as Viper barked orders at them.

"She is only a girl, despite her powers! While you remain the deadliest assassins in Japan. Kill her!"

The last part of Viper's tirade resonated in Logan's mind. He put aside his concern. Rogue would have to handle the assassins on her own. He prayed the girl would be skillful enough to manage by herself. Harada waited. Logan could smell him.

"There's just me left up here, Samurai. Show yourself, if you dare."

Fully clad in the gleaming silver armor that earned him his moniker, Harada stepped into Logan's line of sight.

"You will not find me lacking in courage, Gaijin."

Wolverine's fists clenched reflexively.

"Do tell. That why you brought an army?"

"I need no help to claim my birthright, dog." Harada all but spat, his sword already brandished.

"Or to deal with you!"

He rushed Logan. Claws bared, Wolverine mirrored his assault, closing the distance between them. It was a deadly pairing; Harada's energy sword was capable of slicing through almost anything. Wolverine's bones and claws were forged of pure adamantium, the strongest metal known to man and virtually unbreakable. He survived the Samurai's first cut; Harada faired equally well. The two appeared evenly matched, trading blows for several minutes. Yet, Wolverine had lifetimes of experience and training behind him. Fueled by the instinct to protect those that he held dearest and his inhuman stamina and healing factor, he eventually outdistanced Harada. Easily dodging the Samurai's increasingly desperate swings, Logan managed to finally grab the fading man's wrist, twisting his arm while simultaneously puling it straight. With all his strength, he connected a blow with his free hand to the Samurai's arm, breaking it. Maintaining his grip on the broken appendage, he released his claws once more, ready to deliver the final, fatal blow. Without warning, a slender, familiar hand grasped Wolverine's wrist, restraining him.

"IE, Logan-san, no!" Mariko was beside him, pleading, her grip on his wrist insistent. "Enough blood has been spilled, beloved. Let this be an end to it! My half brother has lost. Grant him his life."

Logan looked deeply into the bottomless black that were his lover's eyes.

"I do that Miko, this'll never be over. He'll keep coming back `til one of you is dead!"

Yet he hesitated, unable to refuse her. She remained silent, silently pleading with her eyes. A loud chuckle filled the hallway. Logan turned to find Viper standing behind them, her gun trained on the couple.

"Have no fear, Wolverine. Your dilemma is about to be resolved. Stand away from the Samurai…and no false moves or I'll fire."

He knew she intended to fire, regardless, once Harada was clear. However, the battle had taken its toll on his body. He decided to play things Viper's way, buying time for his body to recover. He lead Mariko aside, slowly moving her toward a door, hoping to shove her through to safety if given a chance. He cursed inwardly, wondering where Rogue was. There was no sign of the young southerner. Wolverine figured she had more than likely become too cocky and gotten herself nailed.

Dammit, of all times. He thought furiously. Just when I fuckin' need the kid the most.

"Viper…" Harada gasped weakly, holding his injured arm. "Mistress…forgive your humble servant." Harada slumped forward, collapsing.

"Kenuchio!" Viper cried out, for the first time acknowledging concern for her lover. She rushed to his side.

"He has failed." Harada mumbled, his voice barely a whisper.

With Viper temporarily distracted, Logan saw his opportunity. He pushed Mariko forcefully toward the door. Seeing the movement, Viper leveled her gun at them. The outcome wasn't even close. Logan felt the heat of the laser ray as it burned towards them. Still running and pulling Mariko in front of him, he steeled himself, ready to take the impact of the blast. In the distance, he heard the telltale signature of an object moving at a high velocity. A green blur rushed at them, and he felt a blow, not from the ray but a hand, striking him like a cannonball between the shoulder blades.

"Take a hike, shorty," a familiar southern twang rung out. He and Mariko were launched into the air, hurtling through the swinging doors.

"Lemme do mah good deed for the day."

Viper seethed in anger at the sudden appearance of the girl. She pressed harder on the trigger, releasing more energy into the blast. Rogue positioned herself directly in the beam's path. Cringing under the intensity of the ray's force, she fought the pain, refusing to budge, continuing to shelter Mariko and Wolverine from the blast.

"A noble gesture, X-Man. I hope your compeers appreciate your sacrifice."

Rogue laughed hoarsely.

"Jokes on you, lady. They couldn't care lass whether Ah live or die!" she replied through gritted teeth, wondering what exactly the blaster was made of. She felt it burning her despite her invulnerability. Jaw clenched tightly, she was determined to block Viper's shot, no matter the result. Lady Mariko had been kind to Rogue, without prompting, and despite her past actions. Rogue would not let any harm come to her.



"Damnit!" Wolverine swore as he tried to buffer Mariko from their collision with the doors. Hitting them like a small meteor, they plowed on through and after a jarring series of if tumbles, came to a painful stop in a jumble of limbs. His head reeling, he picked himself up and pulled Mariko into his arms, giving her a cursory once over.

"Remind me to kick that girl in the ass. She damn near put us in orbit!" he grumbled. Either Rogue was a show off or she was unaware of her own strength. Assuring him she was bruised, but otherwise uninjured, Mariko waved his ministrations away. She met his gaze gravely and looked back towards the room they had just exited. They could hear Rogue's muted voice and a strange sizzling sound, like water on hot rocks. He nodded and with a grunt took off with his usual fury, bursting back through the doors. Instantly his senses were assaulted by the stench of burning cloth and flesh.

"Rogue!" he roared. She stood, taking the brunt of Viper's laser full in the chest, a look of great determination on her visage. Viper wore an equally resolute _expression, her eyes alight with murderous intent. Her teeth were bared as she fought to keep her finger pressed on the trigger of the rapidly overheating gun. Logan knew Viper was fixed on killing the girl. If his sense of smell was correct, she wasn't far from succeeding. He didn't have much time to act. Forcing his still-healing body to move, he started toward Viper. His stiff limbs protesting, he felt as though he was moving with the speed not of a warrior, but of an old man. He looked around frantically for something, anything, he could use as a weapon to stop Viper, when her gun did the job for him. With a monstrously loud pop, the gun in Viper's hand exploded, throwing her violently to the ground. Rogue's deep exhalation drew his attention. In slow motion, he watched as she began to crumble, her knees buckling as she pitched backward. With speed he hadn't thought he was capable of at that moment, he lunged for Rogue, catching her just before she hit the ground.

"Christ!" he winced, the contact with her body burning his hands. She was scalding to the touch. Gently he knelt down, cradling her singed, wrecked form in his lap. The disgusting sound of rattling lungs greeted him as he sought to find her pulse with gloved hands. She was alive, barely.

"Gee, Wolverine…guess Ah wasn't as…invulnerable…as Ah thought." Her head rolled back listlessly.

"Come on, Rogue, hang in there." he said as soothingly as he could, angling her face up to look at him. Her eyes were wild, scared.

"It seems we part even, X-Man, both sides with casualties." Viper taunted him, tending to her fallen lover. Logan was too preoccupied to pay her much mind,

"This is Harada's fight. It will be his decision whether or not to continue."

Anger welled up inside of Logan.

"I see either of you two again, I guarantee it'll be for the last time," he growled.

"Perhaps," Viper responded coolly. "Farewell." A glaring yellow light enveloped both her and the Samurai as she activated the teleport ring on her finger. Wolverine and Rogue were alone in the hallway. He looked down at the girl, brushing a stray lock of hair from her sweaty brow.

"Rogue, you with me?"

She coughed violently as she fought to drive air into lungs that were unspeakably ravaged and quickly filling with fluid. He regarded her injuries, trying to mask his dismay. The laser had managed to incinerate Rogue's chest wall. Her ribs were scorched and sickeningly visible through the smoldering wound. Red was seeping through her uniform at an alarming rate, turning the green to brown.

"So much for mah brilliant career. An', Ah think, mah life." Her voice was raspy and soft, resigned. Her huge eyes focused on him, terrified and shimmering, the pupils unbelievably large. Looking down on her red but swiftly paling face, Logan could see just how truly young Rogue was. She couldn't have been more than 17. She shuddered lightly in his embrace. She was just a stray no one wanted, who, for whatever reason had put herself in harm's way for a man who despised her and a woman she barely knew. A mere kid who had helped him take out the most powerful clans in all of Japan and as a result, lay dying in his arms.

Fuck it all, he thought. The Hand had already sullied what was to be one of the most joyous events in both his and his beloved's lives. He would not let them ruin the occasion entirely by adding a funeral to boot.

"Don't talk stupid. My healing factor can save you."

In that instant, it no longer mattered what Rogue had done in the past. She had sacrificed herself for him and honor dictated he was in her debt. He cupped her face, leaning closer to her.

"No!" she wailed with the little strength she still possessed. "You need that to save yourself! If Ah absorb your powers, Wolverine, you may die!"

"My risk," he said softly, touched by her misplaced concern for him. He pulled her closer.

"I'm a man who repays his debts, Rogue. You sacrificed yourself for Mariko. It's only fair I return the compliment." He brushed her check gingerly with his thumb. Rogue's eyes closed slowly at the caress.

"'Sides, darlin', who's gonna stop me?"

Too spent to argue, Rogue sighed, bracing herself for the contact. A single tear trailed down her cheek. Slowly he bent to kiss her, wanting to demonstrate his gratitude with an intimate gesture. He was surprised by the tenderness with which she greeted his touch. He tasted blood and a curious sweetness as he waited for the rush of pain that usually accompanied Rogue's powers. It never came. Instead, he was filled with a slight, but not entirely unpleasant tingle that gradually spread throughout his entire body. He felt a gentle tugging at his consciousness as slowly his vision dimmed to a pinpoint, and his body, swiftly draining of energy, slumped against hers. His head swimming, he closed his eyes, and the last thing he registered was something warm, almost like an embrace, as he slipped away into the darkness.