We'd like to get to know you...is there anything you'd like to tell us about yourself? (i.e. where you live, professional aspirations, hobbies, interests, etc.)

I enjoy pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain. Kidding. I don’t like pina coladas at all, to tell you the truth. I live in Australia, and I just graduated from my second undergraduate degree—Multimedia. My first one was in Visual Arts.

Despite my pursuing the visual medium at a tertiary level, I’ve wanted to be a writer since I was about 11. I even started a novel way back then. It was a thriller, and about the only thing I can remember is that the title was, Deadly Byte. While I’m not writing a thriller, I am at the moment working on an original novel. It’s been an aspiration of mine to be published for many years now. I thought this year was the year to take the chance seeing as I currently find myself with two degrees and no job!

As far as interests go, I’m a complete cinephile. One of the things I loved about my Multimedia degree was studying Film & Video. It was a natural extension of my photography, and there’s nothing like being behind a camera. There’s also nothing like being graded for writing papers and discussing films I’m passionate about. Even in art school I’d find ways to link my topics to science fiction (a particular genre I was born and raised to love)—The Matrix films, Synthespians (digitally created characters), etc. My favourite author is Neil Gaiman, and obviously my favourite comics are X-Men ones. I’m also a huge Joss Whedon fan. I admire his style, his writing, his direction. Other directors I admire are Christopher Nolan, Sofia Coppola, and Wes Anderson.


Why did you decide to start writing fan fiction?

I decided to write fan fiction as a way to get my writing going again. It started off as purely a challenge to prove that I still had it in me. That, and I wanted to write a smutty fic about Logan and Veronica (Veronica Mars). I had started reading various fic online, and just found it a wonderful way to let the fans have a go at creating situations with their favourite characters, or even satisfying particular wants. At the time I wrote Skin on Skin, we were only at episode six of Veronica Mars here in Australia, and already I was into Logan/Veronica. And then of course, there’s getting satisfaction out of a pairing like Rogue/Logan which has never happened in the comics, and only seemed to increase with the films. Until X3, but we won’t get into that.


How were you introduced to the X-Men fandom and Logan & Rogue characters?

Well, X-Men has been a fandom of mine for about sixteen, seventeen years. It started with comics and the original animated series. About the only incarnation I haven’t particularly had much to do with is Evolution. I’m still a 90s cartoon girl at heart. Rogue and Wolverine were always my favourites, so it wasn’t too much of a stretch of the imagination to pair them together. Of course, there’s a period from my early high school years I’d rather not remember where I was a Romy ‘shipper…


What is it about the Logan/Rogue relationship that you like to write about?

What don’t I like to write about their relationship! I think I’ve covered most things. I think the thing that intrigues me most is the opportunity for angst to underpin all the ‘hotness’ to put it simply. There’s always—at least in the movieverse—the chance to exploit Logan’s struggle with any feelings for a young girl, like Rogue. The way he might come to terms with it. And in the comicverse, I think the thing that draws me is that they are for the most part best friends, and near equals. But in both cases there’s a chance to explore what lies beneath the relationships, and what happens when things are taken to the next level; when lines are crossed.


Succor’ and ‘Adrenaline" are comicverse-based stories. What are the major things you try to keep in mind when writing the comic version of the characters as opposed to their movie depictions?

Funnily enough, those two are probably the only Rogan stories I’ve written on pure instinct without a lot of um-ing, and ah-ing in regards to dynamics. The thing about comicverse is that Rogue is so much stronger. She’s a team leader, she’s got the strength and flying from Ms. Marvel, and she’s just kick arse. Wolvie, well he’s not so much about the brooding in the comics. Not always, anyway. The comic Rogue is the one I fell in love with, so I guess I feel there’s some sort of need to be true to her character, to be true to the one who inspired me in the first place.


It seems you have *two* OTPs ? Rogue/Logan and Rogue/Pyro. Compare the two. What do you like about each relationship and what do you think Rogue finds attractive about each guy?

Yeah, guilty as charged with the whole two OTPs. Couldn’t help it. Rogan has been with me since before the films. Ryro popped up out of X2…

Okay, so the comparison thing! I’ve never been very good at it, but here goes. I think the thing I like writing in regards to Ryro is John coaxing Rogue out of her comfort space, getting her to see beyond the skin and the gloves, and to embrace the devil within. The thing about Rogue and Logan is the huge potential for such primitive emotions, and lust. I like the ability to delve into the animal side but keep it grounded in the human—basically what I did with Ensare. I like that balance of nurturing, and sexuality.

I think the thing that both guys have in common that appeals to Rogue is the lack of bullshit. And the ability just to be who they are, be straight about what they want. They just might not be straight in the way they reach the conclusion, or the ways in which they get it. Plus, it’s hard to look past two such good looking guys, right? I mean, Bobby’s got nothing on them.

Also, in my mind—for all Bobby’s hot air—Logan and Pyro are the only two who genuinely don’t care about Rogue’s skin. There’s a fascination, and an element of danger for Pyro; and for Logan, I think it’s clear from X1 that he couldn’t give two hoots. Even when she drains him.


Is the John in your stories based on Nice Guy!John from X1 & 2, or Villain!John from X3?

My John is pretty much a mish-mash of what I think he would be had he been a more prevalent character from the beginning. It’s interesting that you call him Nice Guy!John in X1 and X2 because I don’t see that at all. I like to work in the rogue (sorry, wasn’t intentional) streak in him, the side that was drawn to the Brotherhood. It’s important that he isn’t always seen as the good guy—the nice guy. He’s not Bobby, just like Logan isn’t Scott. But I must admit a lot of more recent work has had Villain!John from X3. I feel this ridiculous need to keep writing X3 fic just because I felt that the film was such a horrible atrocity. Plus who doesn’t enjoy writing the bad boy? But a lot of my John is just stuff I’ve magnified, or picked up. Oh, and John’s snarkiness. Gotta have the snark.


Many stories were written in response to requests. How does that work?...do people give you detailed suggestions or just a general sense for a story?

Once in a while I put up a post on my LJ where the first five people to comment get a fic written. They tell me if it’s Rogan, or Ryro and a setting, or a particular thing they want to see happen. I also usually ask for a genre, just so I don’t wind up writing some PWP for someone who would have preferred angst. If I need more info, then I’ll ask for it. There are few occasions I’ll fulfill someone’s specific request with the story already mapped out. Broken was one of the few cases, and it was necessary and important for my friend to have it written a particular way.

I haven’t done it for a long time, but I will now that you’ve reminded me! Mind you, I’m usually okay if people just ask me stuff out of the blue. The only time I don’t take requests is in regards to a series. I get that people want to see certain things happen, but I’ve usually got the series mapped out already and want to do it my own selfish way!


You’ve written quite a few different types of stories—PWP, comicverse, AU, multi-chapter, one-shots, various pairings, etc. Why such a variety? Which type (if any) is your favorite?

I write such a variety because I always want a challenge. PWP was kind of accidental. I tried my hand at it, people seemed to like it—so I kept going. These days my PWP has a plot! I honestly don’t know what my favourite is. Once upon a time I would have said PWP, but the truth is I do like a good in depth series that has EVERYTHING. Ensnare is the perfect example and a work I am just so, so happy with on all levels. There’s something unbelievably satisfying when there’s angst, smut and darkness rolled into a neat package. Really tests my writing, and it stretches the characters.

As for the pairings, that’s my own fault. I always have the same argument with “purists” who only ever ship the one pairing. That’s great, and I appreciate it—but I always like to examine different dynamics. The one constant is Rogue, and like I mentioned before she was the character I just fell in love with. She’s been my hero since I was a little kid. Her comic form, anyway. Her movie form I think is an excuse to put some of me into her. To flesh out something that hasn’t existed over a few decades. And if I name a favourite pairing, I’m liable to get lynched by either camp! Truth is I don’t have one. I like them both, and I like them even better when I cross the two of them together. That’s why I write stuff like Something I Can Never Have, and my OT3 fic.


You’ve noted that some stories were quick to write, while others, such as ‘Best Laid Plans’ took months. What is the process you go through when writing a story?

My process? It really depends on the story. Something like Ensnare takes a lot of plotting for each chapter during discussion with my beta, Jaq, in between trying to write it. That’s the most labour intensive one I’ve written. My other stuff usually just comes quite quickly. Sometimes inspiration strikes, and it just flows. Other times, like Best Laid Plans, inspiration struck and then quickly ran away. I had started writing it when I first signed up for 100 Situations, but the thing just wasn’t coming together. Forced dialogue, dodgy characterizations… every writer’s worse nightmare. I opened it up every week, and still nothing. You have absolutely no idea what a relief it was to post the damn thing. I hate having unfinished stories. Ideas, on the other hand—they’re never in short supply. I have a lot of stuff I haven’t written yet. For the most part I go with the plots that are bugging me the most. The X-Men/Supernatural crossover was one of those urgent ones. It had to be out, and done. It took me a week and a bit to write all chapters. Pretty solid writing, and some plotting with my beta, Jenn. I’m always exhausted at the end of stuff like that! My brain wants to shut down and not do anything. It’s not the most accommodating of processes.


What's the one thing you would like to change/improve about your writing?

Tough question. Not because I think my writing’s perfect, but because it’s hard to nail down specifically what I’d change, or improve. I think one of the things I’m still striving for is a better balance between language and plot. I don’t try and get overly poetic unless that’s my aim, but I sometimes think my vocab needs a little boosting. I’ve discovered since working with Jaq, that I rarely use metaphor. She always adds them in, and I keep wondering why I don’t personally use them. I think it’s rare for metaphors to pop up in my fic.


You have author friends who serve as beta readers. Do you think that fic authors can survive without good betas or a similar support network?

I think it’s entirely up to the author themselves. Jenn (feeferj) basically fell into my lap. I’d posted the first chapter of Instinct, also the first X-Men fic I’d worked up the courage to write, betaless. My beta on my Veronica Mars fic had been an online friend for years, but she wasn’t into X-Men so I didn’t want to ask her. But on the first chapter, I appealed for a beta if anyone was willing—for the rest of the series—and Jenn put her hand up. She had faith in me, and I’ve never looked back. There’s a complete synergy between us when we work together. I found a similar thing in Jaq, but her and I coming together was borne out of mutual respect, our nationality, and Jenn’s inability to beta at the time. I personally find it hard to write such big things without people to discuss them with, and if the person happens to be an author then there’s an understanding in what I have to do, and how I work. I like having a “network” that I can go to. It also helps having people in both ‘shipper camps. Jenn’s the only one I work with that straddles both fences. I think she contributes me with turning her onto Rogue/John because of betaing for me, so apologies to Rogan readers.

I think fic authors can survive without such a network, but I honestly believe that working with peers helps to add to your work. There’s things I’ve learnt from Jaq, Jenn, Psych, and ModernAudrey that have helped to bolster my work, and add to me as a writer. I honestly can’t imagine doing it any other way. If nothing else, it just helps to be able to discuss things and bounce ideas. Very few stories I write without at least one of those people knowing about it.


Several of your stories were written for the 100_Situations site. Can you explain what this is, how it works and how/why you got involved with it?

100_situations is a LiveJournal fic challenge community. The idea is to write a story for each prompt on a table—there’s 100, 5 of which are ‘writer’s choice’. I got involved at the time because I was still new to fic, and figured it was a good way to keep writing, and keep trying new things. An excuse to write as much fic as I could. Of course, I bit off more than I could chew signing up for two pairings. And you don’t have to write pairings. It’s any fandom, or original works and any characters, or even general stuff. I found it trawling LJ for fic communities.


Are the 100_Situations stories connected or standalones?

Both! I’ve managed to make series out of a few prompts, and others are standalone. It depends on how big the plot is, or if I want to work on knocking out a lot of prompts. The technique of creating series has been more successful with my Ryro table, than my Rogan one.


'Devils and Flames’ is a crossover story between X-Men and Supernatural. Why Supernatural? What made you think the two ‘verses and/or characters would mesh well together in a story?

Supernatural was the most natural choice because it’s a show I’m a fan of. Much like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the characters appeal to the writer in me, but I don’t dare mess with Joss’ verse! I’m actually too intimidated to try. Eric Kripke’s creation on the other hand… yeah, I’ll mess with it! It was fun just being able to indulge my sense of humour, while working in some action and a little romance. As for why the verse and characters would mesh well… It was just a hope on my part. I figured that with Dean and Sam already dealing with demons and spirits—a mutant wouldn’t be that strange. But I was very clear about the fact that it would be Rogue and Pyro to represent the X-verse with Logan as a secondary character. There’s a little more of him, and some Beast in the sequel. The reason why it was Rogue and Pyro was because of their personalities, and the chance to explore a Rogue/Dean dynamic. I think Dean’s a little similar to both Pyro and Logan. He doesn’t have powers, but he is protective, he’s a fighter, and he has that ability to snark. But if you want to know how it really started, it was as a picspam conversation with Scatterhearts. I was being completely irreverent about all the characters having hot arses, and who’s arse was hotter. There was a battle between Pyro and Dean, and some perving on Rogue by Dean. You’d probably have to read the chat transcript to actually understand it. Although I’ll understand if you back away quietly and don’t make eye contact.


Have you written any just Supernatural fan fic stories?

'Devils & Flames' was the only SPN related fic I’ve written. I figured it was safer to dabble with a crossover and try and work out if I can write for the characters. Bring them into my world, and see what happens. I might try a pure one, but I’m honestly loving doing the crossover thing too much.


How do you usually handle Rogue’s mutation, particularly in regard to your NC-17 rated stories?

Rogue’s mutation is dependent on the situation. Quite clearly post-X3 fic doesn’t exactly need to take it into account unless she doesn’t take the cure. I usually cheat and have her get control, but the times I remain faithful—the guys usually have ways around it. Gloves, layers of clothing, scarves condoms, etc. The truth is it’s not that hard to take into account so long as there’s something to deal with it. Otherwise it’s just a whole lot of angst, with an unconscious Logan on the floor.


How detailed do you like to get when writing smut?

How detailed? Lordy! Depends on the fic. And it depends on the situation. I guess I do like to be quite detailed. When smut first entered my X-Men fic I actually had someone else write the scene, but with direction from me. After a while I got more confident, and more detailed. If you’re writing smut, you kinda have to commit!


I know we don’t have all your stories archived. About how many Logan/Rogue stories have you written and which is your favorite to date?

With the 100 Situations stuff, there’d be over 30. I’m not really sure. Maybe 40 if you count OT3. I haven’t worked it out! My favourite purely Logan/Rogue is probably 'Adrenaline'. I realise I write a lot of movieverse, but that was just so much fun to write. But, in all honesty my absolute favourite is 'Ensnare' hands down. It is one of my proudest writing moments.


Is there a story you wish you never started?

Oh god, yes! While the first 'Broken' is a personal highlight for me as a showcase of my ability to write angst, the sequel was just… I gave in to reader feedback, and now I have an open series I haven’t done anything with. I must have put up part 2 a few months ago and I just haven’t touched it. I have no idea where to go. It’s one of my few regrets. I should have left it as a one-shot.


Tags’ was your first attempt at writing in first person POV. How was it? Why do you usually avoid this POV?

Tags was interesting. For some reason I actually find Rogue’s first person POV hard to write, even if I am a girl. I hate to mention his name again—but I am A LOT more comfortable writing Pyro in first person POV. 'Fancy', 'Penchant' and 'Weakness' are prime examples of that. I did do another Rogue POV for the sequel to 'Fancy', but again… not so comfortable. It really depends on the character, and story. I tend to avoid it because I’m not always comfortable with it. It gives me pause for thought that I can write a horny teenage guy, and not a girl.


I’m sure any and all feedback is gratifying, but is there anything you wish readers would respond to that they don’t?

Ah… good question. I do always appreciate feedback, but I sometimes like to know that my writing has been successful, and not just the hot content! There are sometimes lines in fic that I am hugely proud of, especially if it’s one of the few funny lines I’ve worked in—but it gets lost if there’s any smut! So I guess a bit more “OMG, that was hot!” combined with a “And this line was just hilarious/beautiful/whatever—” would be great!


We all have times when the words just won’t come, when the ideas dry up and nothing seems to work. What suggestions do you have to overcome the dreaded writer's block?

Honestly? Just step away from it. Go do something entirely un-fandom related (unless you’re working original stuff, in which case go do something fandom related!) and just forget about it. If something else if clicking but you’re other story isn’t—work on that. Another thing is to just write the complete opposite of whatever you’re trying to do. A lot of times, I can’t actually maintain an angsty mood. Words stop coming; plots start to stagnate. Those times are usually when I start writing pure PWP just to get away from angst. Then I can dive write back in and get in touch with my inner emo kid. Challenges are also great. It’s usually what my request posts get borne out of—an inability to get the words going, so I ask for prompts. Also helps to have a “network” with which you can just discuss ideas, and why the story isn’t happening.


The story title, ‘Something I Can Never Have’ is from a song title. Where do your titles usually come from?

They usually are single words that fit the story. I always think brief is best! SICNH was really because the song fit the story so perfectly. It was kind of spawned from the lyrics, in a “What if Logan realised Rogue was who he wanted, but she’s very much involved with someone else” way.

So usually titles are picked out of a dictionary or thesaurus. Very rarely do I know them before a fic is written. It’s usually the last thing I do.

Does music play any other part in your writing besides providing story titles-i.e. inspiration, set mood, etc.?

Oh definitely. Songs are a huge part of my writing as far as mood music and inspiration goes. Smut is best written to something down and dirty like Queens of the Stone Age’s ‘Skin on Skin’. Angst… well, I usually pull out the Nine Inch Nails, and Augie March, sometimes Mazzy Star. Sometimes it’s just whatever I’m listening to at the time. With Devils and Flames it was good to have a few AC/DC tracks, and “classic” rock. Chapter 4 was written listening to Jimi Hendrix.

What advice/tips would you give anyone wanting to try their hand at writing fan fic?

It’s intimidating at first, or at least it was for me. The one thing to remember is to make sure you have a story. Mind you, if it’s PWP the story’s not so important as the quality of the smut writing. Look at a story you really enjoy and see what it is you enjoy about it—besides the pairing/fandom of course. What is it that kept you reading? Consider what you’d have done differently if there’s a story you didn’t particularly enjoy. And also consider why you didn’t enjoy it. Make note of things you always cringe at when reading. My absolute, most important tip is to stay true to the characters. Switch up the situations, but make sure they react to them in character. Even AU fic needs a certain element of the original incarnations. Even if it’s just the familiar phrases, or gestures.