She didn’t know what worried her the most; the fact that she couldn’t feel Logan through the bond at all, or the bloodcurdling scream that echoed from his room.

Door was locked, but the motel wasn’t exactly five star material. She got it open with the key to her room. In the dim light seeping through the curtains she could see Logan, still sound asleep on the bed. Had it been a false alarm after all? Her own imagination playing tricks with her? She stepped closer. Now she could see thin sheen of sweat glistening on his skin. He looked like he was sleeping, but he was very tense. His breathing came erratic small gasps through clenched teeth.

“Logan?” She whispered his name. He twitched a little, turned his head towards her voice.
“Logan?” She called him again. His eyes opened slowly. For a moment it looked like he didn’t know where he was.
“Logan?” She asked once more. He took a deep breath and sat up, rubbing his face tiredly.

“What the fuck were you doing in there?” He asked with hoarse voice.
“I… I don’t know. Are you alright?” She asked.
“No…” Logan grunted, pulling his knees against his chest and wrapping his hands around them. From this angle she could see he preferred sleeping naked.
“Are you?” Logan asked.
“I’m fine. It was your dream?” She more stated the fact than asked. Logan nodded. She sat beside him on the bed. He was trembling.
“Was it only a dream?” She asked. She had never seen anybody react so strongly to a simple nightmare. Logan shook his head and swallowed.
“A memory…”
“It was something that has happened?” She asked. She wasn’t sure if he wanted to talk, but she couldn’t very well just leave him now.
“Yes…” He was staring off to distance, clutching his knees like he was afraid they were going to run off and abandon him if he let go.
“Come on… You look like you could use a hug,” she whispered, sliding behind his back and wrapping her limbs around him, carefully avoiding touching him with bare skin of her palms.

They sat like that for several moments. She wasn’t sure which one of them had started it, but they were rocking slightly back and forth. Logan grasped her hands through the sheet that had fallen to his lap and pulled them tighter around him. He wasn’t talking, just stared at her behind him via mirror on the opposite wall. That blank, numb stare was slightly unnerving. She tried the bond again. And again impenetrable wall stopped her. Logan narrowed his eyes.

“Don’t… It’s… It’s not safe yet.”
“Okay. I won’t do it again. Should… Should I leave?” She asked. Logan’s eyes widened a bit. He started to turn, then changed his mind and leaned his neck on her shoulder. Move brought his face right beside hers.
“Don’t go.”

He closed his eyes and let his head rest on her shoulder, breathing deeply. He was relaxing slowly.
“What happened?” She asked, her voice a mere whisper.
“Lots of shit you’re better off not knowing.”
“I’ll find it out anyway, sooner or later.”
“No, you won’t. We’re not going to sleep together before we have our heads sorted out.”
“Sleep together? Was that an offer?” She asked, trying to ease him with joking. Slight smile tugged his lips.
“You never know… Would you like it to be?”
“Oh, no, mister. I’m immune to your charm.”
“So they all say. Haven’t met the one able to resist yet.”
“How would you know? What about me?”
“I’m already between your knees.”
“Logan!”

She had to resist the urge to slap him. Instead she ruffled his already tousled hair gently, much like he had done to her earlier. He let out a satisfied sigh and leaned heavier on to her. That sigh shot straight at her stomach, igniting something she hadn’t even been aware existed. She flinched, trying to move to a more comfortable position.
“Am I too heavy?” Logan asked, starting to get up. She held on to him and pulled him back.
“No. Not at all.”
“Do you… Ah…”
“Do I what?” Marie asked. Logan shook his head.
“Nothing. Did you sleep well? I mean before this shit…”
“Like a baby. Can I ask you a question?”
“Sure.”
“What is it with redheads? Is it because of Jean?”

He obviously hadn’t expected that question. He wrinkled his forehead and rubbed his stubbled chin.
“You don’t have to answer, I was just… Just making conversation,” she said quickly, cursing her curiosity silently.
“No, no, it’s a good question. Let me think about it…”

He hadn’t finished his thinking when door suddenly opened. Skulking figure stepped in and turned on the lights. Sabretooth.

“Well, well… Isn’t that nice! Runt and his bitch. You don’t mind if I borrow her for a while, Wolverine?” Humongous mutant growled, grabbed Logan and threw him against the wall. Logan smashed against the mirror that broke, and he fell to the floor escorted by small, flashing shards of silver and glass. Before he had the time to get his bearings Sabretooth picked up the TV from the corner and threw it at him. TV hit Logan in the head and he fell limp to the floor.

She had tried to escape through the window, but it was bolted shut too tightly. And Sabretooth had apparently made his homework. He was covered from head to toe. Only skin visible was his face. And truth to be told she wasn’t that eager to touch him anyway. She had already gotten enough troubles from her touch with Logan. So there was very little she could do when Sabretooth grabbed her, slung her over his shoulder and walked out from the door to a black van that was waiting outside.