Few moments later he was none the wiser than earlier. Marie was too panicked to observe her surroundings thoroughly enough, and he had gotten a strong impression that she was isolated from the Magneto’s group already. She was in the machine.

“Step on it, Summers!” They may have had only few minutes left before Magneto would power up Marie and force her to act.
“Why don’t you go outside and give us a push?” Scott snarled through the intercom.
“Very funny…” Logan grunted, turning his attention back to Marie.

She was calmer now. Able to form coherent thoughts. And scared out of her wits. He could feel her fear churning though him, curling to the base of his spine. He could smell his own reaction to it, as well as the anxiety radiating from Jean, Scott and Ororo, and it only intensified cold, paralyzing grip of terror from his gut.
“Stop being so fucking afraid, kid…” He whispered.
“I’ll tear Magneto to shreds personally when we get there. You have nothing to be afraid of…” It wasn’t helping. Marie could sense his insecurity over that particular promise.
“After all, we have some unfinished business. Sabretooth kind of interrupted something…” He murmured, fully aware of amused looks on both Jean and Ororo’s faces.
“I never did answer to that question of yours. You do want to know the answer?” He whispered. Marie was getting curious.
“And I made you another promise. Can’t really follow through with it if you go and croak on me. Not that you don’t have a great body, but I’d prefer you’d be in it.”

“Great body? So I’m not a boobless scrawny brat?” She giggled hysterically, noise echoing from the wall around her. Again she could feel warm hands on her, sliding over her breasts. Touch was only fleeting caress, meant to assure her from Logan’s opinion about her.
“How do you do that? Like this?” She asked, trying to mimic his actions.

“Hands off, girly. This fucking uniform is tight enough already… and unlike you, I have an audience. Who are getting little too interested about this.” He could feel her laughing, and her hands reaching for him again. It was impossible to dodge the slow, sensual caress, running from his head to his toes. And it was impossible to contain the scream that tore from his throat when he could suddenly feel Magneto’s electrified presence mingling rapidly with Marie.

“What’s this? A bond? With… With Wolverine?” She was struggling against Magneto’s hold from her, but old mutant’s grip from her hardened as soon as he realized he could use the bond to his advantage.
“No! Don’t you dare to touch him!” She wrenched herself out of Logan’s mind and felt the shields slamming shut behind her.
“My dear boy… How original of you to use the metal from your bones to cover your inner self…” Magneto gasped. She could tell he was weakening from the outside, but on the inside he was getting stronger. And reaching towards Logan through her.



Old mutant was tearing through his defenses like they were made out of butter, wrecking havoc, forcing him to retreat. His mind was as useless as the metal buried inside of him against Magneto. Man had lived too long, fought too long and gone through unspeakable hell. He could feel Jean trying to get in, but his shields blocked her.

Suddenly Magneto froze. Logan could feel him, hovering confused, and fearful, torn between destroying him and escaping. At the door. Door to his dream.
“Fuck you, Buckethead. Curl up and die!” He wrenched the door open with the last remaining strength, and the creature from his dream charged forward, hungry for fresh blood.



Magneto let go of her and backed off abruptly, leaning against the wall of the machine. He was pale as a sheet. He stumbled out and closed the door behind him, leaving her in to darkness again. Something was coming through the link. She could feel it approaching.
“Logan?” Suddenly he was there with her, demanding that she raised her shields immediately.

“Shields! The fucking shields, kid! Now!” With the creature running loose in his head it wasn’t safe for her anymore. There was no telling what would happen if the terror from his dream get inside of her. And she was too shaken, too confused to do much else than just to cringe back when he tried to make her understand why it was so important to raise those fucking shields of her because he was too tired and hurt to protect her, too scattered and messed up.

“Let me…” Jean stepped in as soon as he lowered the tattered fragments that were left of his shields.
“Watch it. It’ll tear you apart…”
“I know what I’m doing. Just relax, Logan. And tell Marie I’m here. I don’t want to scare her.”
“I’ll do that. Jean… Thanks.”
“Yeah, yeah… Remember this next time when you get the urge to stare at my breasts,” telepath muttered, already deeply immersed to his scarred mindscape.

He leaned back and closed his eyes. Jean had done this before. She had helped to create the prison for his nightmares. She knew what she was doing. And he probably deserved any kind of revenge she decided to extract from every leer and lusting stare he had cast towards her during years he had known her. As long as Jean managed to keep Marie safe from the monstrosity lurking inside of his head he was willing to grant her full entry and reigns over him.

“Come out, come out, where ever you are…” He could hear Jean muttering under her breath. He cracked one eye open. She was sitting opposite him, eyes closed, lips parted, deep line of concentration etched on her forehead. Thin sheen of sweat was gathering over her brow.
“It’s coming. Stop shouting.”
“I’m ready. Come on, bitch… Come to mama…”
“Jean? Remember, it’s part of me. I can feel everything you do to it…”
“I remember, I remember…”
“Oh, shit. Just try not to mess me up too bad, okay?”
“It’s here.”