It took a little adjusting for her to be able to ride with Logan with the dress she was wearing, but soon they were speeding through the night, her propped up in front of him. To her surprise Logan chose the nearest exit from the main road, turning towards a lake where the students usually went for a swim.

“Changed my mind,” he explained shortly when he stopped the bike and helped her down from the saddle. White, soft sand sunk under her, and she stumbled a bit, taking a hold from his shoulder.
“I better get rid of these…” She giggled breathlessly, kicking off her shoes. Logan picked them up and put them in the saddlebag. He shrugged off his jacket and draped it over her shoulders.
“Remembered something. I once came here, few years back. Was so fucking drunk that I couldn’t have counted my own fucking fingers even if I tried. Don’t know what made me come here instead of… Well, I came here. And saw this.” All the while Logan had spoken they had been walking towards the still shoreline of the lake. Now they stopped, and Logan gestured towards the water.
“Oh…”

Black smooth surface was practically glowing from the light cast on it from somewhere above. Stars. All the stars of the sky down at her feet. She could only stare, speechless, breathless.

For him they still looked cold and distant, but when he lowered his shields he could feel only warmth. Then something… Curiosity?
“This isn’t you. This isn’t what you do.”
“Yeah?”
“Then… Why bother?”
“Why bother? Kid… Marie… This is… I know you like this. There’s not much in my life from what I can honestly say it’s good for you, but this is one of those things I can share with you. I don’t have to get all giddy and obsessed over some blinking lights to be able to enjoy this with you.”
“Giddy and obsessed?”
“Shit. You know I didn’t mean it like that.”

She sighed and leaned against him. His hands wrapped around her. She let her shields down, and felt Logan doing the same.
“You know me. I know you.” For some reason he sounded less than pleased.
“Yes. So, what’s the problem?”
“There is no problem. Just… Shit. Tell anyone that I said this, and there’s good spanking waiting…” Logan murmured, nuzzling the top of her head.
“Spanking? Hmm… I could tell Scott…”
“Marie.”
“Okay, okay. I won’t tell.”
“This scares me.”

She could see him, hovering hesitantly at the background. Images of what he had done before, what was his usual approach when it came to opposite sex flashed briefly through her mind. After those an image of her, followed by nothing. A void.
“I don’t have a fucking clue how to go on from here. I want you. I want you in my life. What ever happens tonight, I want you to stay with me.”

His usual routine, find, fuck and leave was out of the question, but that was all he could remember ever doing. He had often prodded and poked Summers for being soft and whipped, hell, the man was as whipped as it gets, but at least he seemed to know how to maintain a working relationship.

“You’re thinking about Scott?” Marie huffed.
“Yeah. I’m kind of jealous for him. It’s… This all, it seems to be so fucking easy for him.”
“Easy? Newsflash, buddy. Even Scott was born alone. He hasn’t always been with Jean. They had to start things from the scratch, just like us.”
“Us?”
“Yes. Us. You’re not the only one with jitters…”
“Yeah. We're both quite pathetic. What do you say if we head back home and see what happens?” Logan grunted. Marie turned to face him.
“I… I was thinking… Could we try something?”
“Now?”
“Yes. Just keep your mind open…”

Her hands, covered in green silk, slid around his neck, and she tugged his head lower. When she started to lean closer he realized what she had meant.
“Marie…”
“I think this might work, I’ll be quick…”
“Quick? Bullshit…”

Before she had the time to react she felt Logan’s shields slam all the way down, his whole being out in the open, mingling with hers. His hands wrapped around her, pulling her tightly against him, and his lips claimed hers to a searing kiss. And nothing was happening. He wasn’t dying, struggling for his life. She grasped him harder, fingers tangling to his hair, trying to get as close to him as possible. She could touch him. She was touching him, and nothing bad was happening.

“Don’t do quickies with you, darling,” Logan panted, slightly out of breath when they finally parted.
“How did you figure this out?” He asked. Marie shook her head.
“I wasn’t sure… But at the statue… The pull was slower than usually, and we had our shields partly open…”
“Let’s try something else. Close it.”
“Huh?”
“Shields. Close your shields.”

She did as Logan asked, and she could feel his shields rising as well. He raised his hand.
“They’re up?”
“All the way.”

Logan’s fingers grazed her cheek gently. Touch was the lightest possible, it barely registered, but they both could feel the pull starting. Logan gasped and let go of her.
“Well, this is interesting.”