He waited. Waited until she could process his last sentence, listening her muffled sobs at the end of the line.
“But… But you said you’d be back for me…” Her voice, filled with sorrow over his betrayal sliced through his chest like a knife.
“Yeah. Well, guess what kid? I lied. Get over it.” He forced his words, cruel edge, to cut through the distance, and then gave the final blow.
“You’re useless to me anyway. Goodbye.”

He hung up the phone, placing the receiver to its cradle carefully before his grip cracked the fragile plastic casing. Then, unable to resist the impulse pushed forth the claws and swiped the whole gadget in half, watching when the pieces tilted and started to fall down from the rickety table as in slow motion. Curled on the bed on his side, pulling his knees against his chest and screwed his eyes shut to stop the tears from falling, his hand curling to a tight fist, scrunching a scrap of paper he had been reading earlier, words from it floating under his eyelids.

…impregnation successful. The host, Eva Marie D’Ancanto is adapting well to her new surroundings. As soon as her pregnancy has been confirmed, we’re able to move on to the next stage in program. Safe house has been located, and we will be transporting miss D’Ancanto to Meridian, where she will be placed under supervision. Her progress will be monitored daily until birth. The child will be taken in to custody after manifestation.

To your inquiry regarding the donor, we won’t be needing his services any longer. I sincerely believe Weapon X program would benefit from his abilities a great deal, and I’d be more than happy to release him under your supervision…