This kid is a cheeky little bitch. I offer her a ride out of Laughlin City and I get these kind of remarks off her. Well, she’s got spunk; I’ll give her that. Sounds like some cage fighter too. Rogue. But just by looking at her, I can tell she ain’t. But she better watch herself. The Wolverine doesn’t take these kind of comments for long. “What kind of a name is Wolverine?” I’ll show you if you want, kid. I can’t help but think she’s scared of me though. She made up some lie about her skin so I wouldn’t touch her. I know young women have to be careful these days, but isn’t she taking it a bit too far? Well, one look in the mirror and I know why she said it. Look at me. Don’t want to meet me in a dark alley, do you? I’m surprised at myself though. I really am. Picking up young girls, bah. What if this kid finds out I’m a mutant? It’s like shouting ‘rape’. I’ll be swarmed upon by angry hordes. All I want is the quiet life. Honestly.

“My name is Logan,” he relented after the young hitchhiker had decided to throw a witty retort at him.

“Marie,” she replied, a hint of a smirk crossing her lips. She then paused, her eyes passing over his form, “Y’know.. you should wear your seatbelt.”

Logan paused, glaring over at her, “Look kid,” he said, gesturing at her with his cigar clenched between index and middle finger, “I don’t need advice on automobiles from a hitchhiker.”

“Well who else are you gonna get it from?” she snapped.

“I don’t need this,” snarled Logan, his hand flinging to the gear stick as he slowed the car. His hand hitched up the handbrake. He turned and glared at her, “Listen to me, kid. When you’re travelling with me in my vehicle you don’t get cocky. So you got two choices here. Zip the lip, or get the hell outta here.”

Rogue stared at him, turning for a moment to look out of the windscreen. The snow was falling thick and fast and was already beginning to cover the glass in a fresh sheet. The road ahead looked long and treacherous. It also looked deserted. She wouldn’t find any other vehicle to hitchhike in for many hours. The windscreen was now completely covered in a layer of snow. It caused the inside of the car to darken, and as Rogue turned to look at Logan again, she noticed his eyes glint in the shadows. His question was reworded in her mind. Life or death?

“I choose life.”

“Excuse me?”

“I mean. I’ll shut up.. “

“I’m glad we had this conversation,” muttered Logan before he turned and set the camper van off again, the windscreen being cleared as the wipers swished down upon the snow. Rogue began to ponder her current situation. It was all very well preferring to sit inside the warming van than trek in the thick snow, but she knew this guy could do some damage. She’d watch him take down a brawler after receiving a serious range of hits himself. She knew she wasn’t to get on the wrong side of him. She just hoped he wouldn’t mind her using his hospitality. If you could call it that.

She didn’t even have any clue where he was taking her. She’d never said where she wanted to go. She wasn’t entirely sure herself. She had made a very big mistake that morning when getting a ride to Laughlin City. She had thought it was a city, not a little grubby joint in the middle of nowhere. This Logan seemed to have some sort of destination planned. She’d just go along with him for now. And when she arrived there she could decide just whether she was willing to ride with him for any longer. Not that he’d offer. He looked like he already doubted bringing her with him. He must have a heart though, to not leave her stood out in the icy road.

“What ya thinkin’ about kid?”

Oh, so now he wants to talk.

“Nothin’.”

Logan smiled knowingly to himself, “People always say that but never mean it.”

“Well I mean it,” said Rogue stiffly, turning to look out of the window.

Logan glared at her out of the corner of his eye. He had attempted to make her feel better and he’d just got snapped at. Next bar they come across, he was dropping her off. No doubt about it. You just can’t have moody hitchhikers.

Rogue leant up against the window, giving a sigh, which misted up the cold glass. “Sorry..” she whispered under her breath. Missable. But out of the corner of her eye, she saw him fasten his seatbelt.