The silence closed around the five like a thick blanket of suffocation. Gasps of shock had come from the X-Men, who stared at the large claws suddenly in front of them. This had not been expected, and judging by Rogue’s face, she clearly had no inkling of this either. Jean was the first to move, stepping back from Logan as her wide eyes rose from the claws to Logan’s face. His eyes sharply darted upon her with a stern glare, only causing her to retreat some more. Metal claws were not a mutation.. this was not normal, not even by a mutant’s standard.

Logan quickly looked between each person, sighing quietly as he closed his eyes. The claws pulled back into his hand, disappearing into his knuckles, which sealed up almost immediately. “I’m sorry,” he said quietly, not sure who he was really apologising to, or what for. Perhaps a number of things. There was a distraught expression his face, only subtle. But he looked agitated and lost all of a sudden. He shook his head hopelessly, mouthing silent words as he turned away, his fists clenched. He slowly walked away, leaving the others in an unsure silence.

Rogue’s eyes followed him away, an expression of disbelief still upon her face. Slowly, her head bowed. She knew what she had to do. She looked up at Scott, swallowing slowly, “I’ll talk to him,” she murmured quietly, “Go and wait back at your jet..” Meeting his gaze, she nodded her head once with a quiet, “Please.” Scott looked hesitant, although he slowly inclined his head in agreement; he turned slowly, the other X-Men following him. Storm glanced behind her as she walked, fearful eyes staring at the back of Logan’s retreating body.

As the X-Men made their way back through the snow, Rogue turned, sprinting towards Logan who had gone to retrieve his backpack and presumably continue on his way, “Logan!” she called, making him stop instantly. He didn’t move, he just bowed his head with a soft sigh.

“I’m sorry, kid,” he muttered quietly, “You go with them, they’ll probably take better care of you.”

But Rogue ignored his words, “Logan..” she began quietly, “Are you a mutant?”

At her question, Logan looked round his shoulder at her slowly. He let out another sigh as he turned to face her, nodding his head almost reluctantly, “Yeah..” he muttered quietly, “Yeah, I am. I’m sorry I didn’t tell ya kid.. I didn’t want ya to be scared of me.” He closed his eyes, cursing himself inside. This was way too much sentimental crap for him. He was outta here. But before his wishes could be shown on the outside, Rogue spoke.

“No.. it’s not that,” she said quietly, “It’s just that.. the mansion I was taken to.. it’s a haven for mutants.. a place for them to belong.” She slowly watched him with questioning eyes, “I didn’t have anywhere until I met you.. havin’ you.. a friend. But this place, this mansion.. it will help you as much as it’ll help me.”

“Kid, what you tryin’ to say? Get to the point.”

Rogue nodded slowly, gently interlocking her hands together nervously, “I’m a mutant too.. I.. I didn’t want you to know.. I thought you might be scared of me.. or want to hurt me.”

Logan stared at her in silent surprise, “So.. the people who were after you.. they were mutants too?”

“Yes..”

“And you knew that those people who were with you now are mutants? Before they displayed their powers?”

“Yes.. I realised that after that display.. I wouldn’t be able to hide my real self much longer. I’m sorry, Logan, I was just so scared of what might happen if I told you what – “

“Ssh..” whispered Logan quietly as he stepped closer to her, “Kid, it’s alright, I understand. I knew you were hidin’ somethin’.. I just wasn’t all that sure what. I never guessed ya could be a mutant too.”

“But Logan,” murmured Rogue as she looked up at him worriedly, “Those mutants that were after me.. they may be back.. and the X-Men think I’ll be better at the mansion with the other mutants..”

“X-Men, huh?” growled Logan, fixing a steely glare at the trees, “They don’t think I can protect you from a few goons. I was just thrown off guard this mornin’ kid. I woulda normally torn them from limb to limb just for comin’ near you. Do you think you’ll be safer with them, kid? Cause.. if you do.. then go with them. I ain’t your parent.”

Rogue shifted uncomfortably, looking down, “I do.. but I want you to come too..” she heard a quiet grunt of disapproval come from Logan, and she quickly looked up with frantic eyes, “No, Logan, listen.. please.. they are decent people. And Professor Xavier is a good, kind man.”

“Kid.. I’m better off on my own. I got too many problems.”

“But Logan.. it’s somewhere to belong. Don’t you want that? Do you really prefer driving from place to place just to scrape cash together? And alone?”

Logan looked down slowly, closing his eyes, “No..”

“What are you leavin’ behind if you go?”

Hesitantly, Logan looked up, “Nothin’.. more to the point, what am I leavin’ if I don’t go?”

“What?”

“I’ll come,” said Logan quickly, turning and grabbing his backpack out of the snow. “But it ain’t for their benefit, kid. I’m gonna take care of you. Those mutants won’t get you, not with me around. I promise.”

A relieved smile appeared on Rogue’s face, and she quickly set of walking besides him as the pair headed towards the trees, “So, no hard feelin’s, after all these secrets?”

“No,” murmured Logan as he glanced down at her with a slight grin, “You lied to me and I lied to you. That makes us square, don’t it? However.. these X-Men have got another thing comin’. I don’t take being slammed into a tree very well.”

“As long as you don’t get yourself kicked out.”

“I’ll just be subtle,” said Logan mischievously, “Not that I would have wanted to be pals with people like that in the first place. But I’ll make sure I stick around, for you.”

“You promise?”

“I promise.”