The corridors were only filled with a few students, after the last lesson had finished, the majority of students had gone to do their own things. Logan quickly stalked through the school, his footsteps swift and distantly placed. His overall mannerisms were obviously giving off a negative impression for students watched him almost fearfully as he passed by. His fists were tightly clenched and eyes roamed students piercingly.

“Pyro?” he snapped in question each time he passed a group, waiting for a reaction. Some students offered information that continued to lead Logan to his final destination. However, the longer it was taking to find him, the more Logan was getting irritated, and the more he growled and glared at passer-by’s. “Pyro?” he shot at a group of students ahead.

One of the students turned round curiously, “What?”

Logan’s eyes narrowed and his pace quickened. John’s eyes fixated upon the oncoming man and a quick flicker of fear was evident in his gaze. He knew why Logan had come. Quickly, he turned, moving into a fast walk away from his friends and towards the staircase. The speed suddenly increased to a full-fledged run as he dashed down the staircase, ignoring the confused questions from his friends. But Logan had speeded up also, leaping down the steps much faster than Pyro and pressing on in a swift sprint after the younger mutant.

As John ran down the ground floor corridor, he was called to by a passing student, “John? Where’re you going?”

“Later, Bobby.”

John continued on, his pursuer quickly running by Bobby and blatantly ignoring the student’s questioning. All of a sudden a last of fire arced high over the top of John’s head and fiercely flew behind him towards Logan.

“John!” called Bobby from the distance, his face stunned.

But Logan quickly darted out of its path, the fire instead hitting the wall and rapidly setting some curtains alight. Nearby students quickly began to scream. But Bobby ran on forth, extinguishing the growing flames with a blast of ice.

Logan had caught up with the teenager, extending a hand and grabbing John by the back of his jacket. With a brutal force he yanked the mutant to a halt before throwing him up against the corridor wall besides him and pinning him with a hand. John was quick to begin struggling, trying to fight away the hold. But it was too heavy. “I’ve done nothing wrong!” he quickly snapped, glaring up at Logan.

“Rogue says different,” snarled Logan, raising a fist. “You listen to me, kid, and listen carefully. If we were outside school grounds I’d have these so far through your neck you wouldn’t be able to scream.” And his claws quickly shot out of his knuckles in indication, “But I don’t think Xavier would appreciate me killing one of his students in front of an audience. So think of this as a warnin’. Stay away from Rogue, and leave her the hell alone, or I will be meetin’ you right when ya don’t expect me. Got that?” John was staring at him in a wide-eyed silence. “I said you got that!” barked Logan, raising his voice. John appeared to slump against the wall. He nodded very minutely. Logan released his hand from the younger mutant and shook him to his feet. “Now get outta my sight.”

John didn’t seem to hold any wish to disobey Logan’s last order, for he quickly scrambled around the corner and disappeared.

“Wolverine,” came a stern voice.

Logan looked round slowly to see Scott Summers watching him, his arms folded. “What?” answered Logan with a dignified calmness.

“You do not go round threatening to kill our students,” Scott’s voice wavered, as though he was trying to keep his temper under control.

“Shut your trap, Cyclops. Like I would do that? I’m jus’ givin’ the kid a warnin’. It’s his fault Rogue fell. He’s been givin’ her trouble before, I’ve seen it.”

“That does not – “

Logan turned his back on Scott, waving a hand in disinterest, “I don’t care,” he called, turning from sight down a corridor.

Scott was left looking scandalised and shocked into a temporary silence. “I’ll be speaking to the Professor about this!” he called, but Logan was long gone, and the only ones to hear him were nearby students who were quickly gossiping about the event. Scott sighed, glaring at the corner Logan had just disappeared round. Scott shook his head, turning on his heel and walking back the way he came.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Logan had gone straight back down to the infirmary where Rogue lay silent once more. Whilst he wouldn’t have killed the younger mutant, he thought he deserved the threat. He promised to take care of Rogue, and if some kid was going to hurt her, then they’d have to face Wolverine. He stood besides her bed, leaning upon the edge with his knuckles. Logan wasn’t sure whether she had fallen to sleep or drifted back into her unconsciousness. He feared it was the latter and had planned to keep a bedside vigil until Jean returned.

“I saw Pyro,” he told her unresponsive state. “He ain’t gonna bother you again, kid,” he murmured solemnly. He exhaled a weary sigh when she didn’t respond, even though it was expected, although reluctantly. His eyes lowered across her body and noticed that her arms were not gloved. He hadn’t seen her hands without the gloves before, and for a split second, contemplated taking her hand in his. But the idea was quickly discarded, and not just because it would hurt him. His palm had hovered uncertainly over the smooth back of her hand before he quickly pulled away and clenched it into a fist once more.

“Logan?”

Logan quickly threw his eyes upon her face, her eyes were still closed but she was responding distantly, “Marie?”

She turned her head slowly, eyes peering up at him, “Logan..” she said again in a quiet voice, there was a slight smile drifting upon her lips, clearly pleased to see him. She raised her hand slowly, taking his nearest forearm delicately in her bare grasp.

Logan moved closer towards her, not noticing the coming dangers of her touch. Then it hit him before he could draw breath. His entire insides seemed to freeze solid, unable to move his limbs, as the very warmth of him seemed to seep towards her gentle hold. Rogue having took hold of him quite accidentally had no intention of hurting him and released him with a frightened gasp. But it was too late, Logan crumpled to the floor, just as the infirmary doors parted and Jean walked in. Her eyes met the situation with a shocked face.

“Logan!” screamed Rogue as she threw back the covers of her bed. She leapt out after him, but balance poor. She collapsed to the floor besides him, but quickly supported herself with her hands, “Logan! I’m sorry! It was an accident!” Panicking, she pushed herself up, spinning round to see Jean walking forward.

But Jean wasn’t looking at Logan, her eyes had moved upon Rogue in confusion. “Rogue..” she murmured, eyes watching her temple, “Your bruise.. it’s fading.” And before her eyes, the large purple blemish on Rogue’s temple was disappearing from the skin.

At the doorway, Storm ran inside, “I heard Rogue scream – “ her eyes quickly noticed Logan on the floor, twitching slightly. Storm entry seemed to catch Jean’s attention for she quickly turned from Rogue and crouched towards the man.

“Get him up on one of the beds.”

Rogue backed away from the trio, her face startled. Her balance was no longer unstable nor were her limbs shaky. She lightly touched the side of her head, where her head had ached so terribly. But there was nothing.. she stared at Logan at the women quickly began attending to him.

What had she done?