The next morning, Rogue was startled awake as a figure burst into her bedroom, calling her name. She blearily recognised Logan as he came to the side of her bed, talking, but Rogue wasn’t registering what he was saying. Blinking a little, Rogue shook her head, raising a hand, “Woah, wait a minute. I’m not here yet.”

Logan paused, grinning a little, “Sorry.”

Rogue pushed herself into a sitting position, rubbing her eyes and yawning quietly. “Ok, now I’m ready, go on.”

“Xavier has found a lead,” Logan announced, leaving a suspenseful pause for effect.

But Rogue just blinked at him, “Huh?”

“He’s found a lead, using that Cerebro machine of his. Found something that might link to my amnesia, and my claws.”

Finally catching on, Rogue gave a soft ‘oh!’ before she looked concerned, “Does that mean you’re leavin’?”

“No..” said Logan slowly. “Not yet.” He paused, looking a little uncomfortable for a moment. “Well, I was kinda wonderin’ if you wanted to come with me. Y’know, continue your road trip to Anchorage?”

Rogue paused at his words, surprised at his suggestion but she couldn’t help but see a problem. “But.. I’m here to stay away from the Brotherhood.. what if they find me.”

“They won’t find you,” insisted Logan. “I was unprepared before, but this time I won’t let anyone take you. I’ll take care of you, kid. I already mentioned it to Xavier.. and he said it was up to you. He’d keep an eye out from time to time with Cerebro, check the Brotherhood’s whereabouts.”

“An’ you really think this will work?”

“Why not?” said Logan with a shrug. “I can go check out the lead in the Rockies, an’ then we’ll continue on up to Anchorage.”

“When did you find out all this?”

“Er, ‘bout ten minutes ago. Wanted to tell you as soon as possible..”

Rogue laughed quietly, “It sounds pretty good,” she agreed with a nod. “Just as long as I got no Brotherhood trailing me – “

“I told you – “

“I know.. And I would wanna come Logan, even if we weren’t going to Anchorage. ‘Cause I wanna be there when you find out stuff about your past. I wanna help you.”

“I want you to be there, kid. It’ll be too quiet on my own,” Logan smirked at her teasingly.

“Oh, very funny,” huffed Rogue jokingly as she pushed her way out of bed. “Now go on, you get outta here so I can get dressed. Then we can go and talk to the Professor about when we’re goin’.”

Logan stepped back to give her room, looking curious, “Why, when do you want to go?”

Straightening her bed covers, Rogue smirked, “Today.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


There was a light drizzle in the air as Rogue made her way downstairs. She secured the tops of her gloves up past her elbows as she descended the steps. Passing a window, she glanced out at the grey grounds, the diamond leaded window blurred by the drifting mist. Her attention was caught as footsteps ran across the ground floor entrance, a student coming into view and disappearing down the next corridor. Brought out of her reverie, Rogue blinked a little before she continued down the staircase.

Turning into the next corridor, Rogue came upon the Professor’s office and knocked her knuckles lightly on the varnished wood of the door. Before the first knock could even sound through, Charles Xavier’s voice called pleasantly. “Come in, Rogue.”

Rogue pushed into the office, quietly stepping across the soft burgundy carpet. The rain had begun falling a little heavier, the growing pitter-patter of the raindrops against the tall office windows being a background to her greeting. “Mornin’, Professor.”

She sat that to one side of the desk, Logan as sat down on one of the couches, one ankle resting on the opposite leg’s knee in a comfortable manner. He smiled a little at Rogue when he saw her.

“Good morning,” replied Charles, smiling as he indicated that Rogue was welcome to sit down also. “Can I offer you a cup of tea? Logan turned down my refreshment, for some reason,” his lips twitched.

“I’ll have one, Professor,” said Rogue, grinning as she sat down besides Logan, “Thanks.”

“Thought you might,” Charles commented, pouring the hot tea from a silver teapot. Adding milk, he smiled slowly, “And I know you don’t take sugar.”

Accepting her tea, Rogue gave the man a bemused expression. Whilst she knew of his telepathic abilities, it was always a little odd to have someone know you so well after a short period of time.

“So,” pressed Logan, “about what we were talkin’ about earlier,” he glanced back at the Professor, who was busying himself with a sip from his own cup.

Placing it down into his saucer, Charles looked up, “Indeed,” he said, resting his fingertips together in a poised triangle. “I assume you informed Rogue moments later?”

Rogue hid her smirk behind her teacup, taking a small drink of the hot liquid.

“Well, yeah,” answered Logan quickly, briefly peering down at the girl besides him.

“And what do you think, Rogue?” asked Charles, eyes moving upon her as he directed the question.

Rogue looked up from her drink, glancing at Logan before back at the Professor, “I think it’s a good idea,” she answered. “I know we still got the Brotherhood around, but y’know.. Logan said he’d take care o’ me, an’ I trust him.”

“And do you feel well enough after the events of this week?”

“Yeah, mumbled Rogue, averting her eyes a little, “Logan’s healin’ took care of that. An’.. his powers have left me now, I feel as normal as I can be.” She finished with a small grin on her face, and Charles regarded her with a smile.

“Very well, I assume transportation will be required, and I’m afraid your vehicle is written-off, Logan. However, I am willing to lend you one of my cars, my Cadillac Escalade, actually. Best for those Canadian conditions.”

Rogue and Logan shared a glance with raised eyebrows.

“I’ll, er, try not to throw it down any cliffs.”

Charles chuckled quietly; “I have complete faith in you Logan. But never put the car’s survival before your own. I can replace a vehicle, but I cannot do the same for your lives.” There was a pause in which Charles manoeuvred himself around his desk, his wheelchair gently moving towards the seated pair. “Also, I’d rather you didn’t try and sleep in the car, you need decent breaks when travelling, so I will be providing the expense of your rest stops – “ Rogue had quickly opened her mouth to protest but Charles raised his hand gently, “ – don’t worry, Rogue, I am entirely happy with the matter. I wish you safety and comfort on your trip.”

Logan glanced between the two, rubbing the back of his neck in an awkward manner. “Well, if you’re sure, Charles. .I will take care of her. I promised her that.”

“Of course, Logan. I will keep an eye on your whereabouts, and if there is trouble, Scott, Storm and Jean will be on their way instantly. Scott has kindly checked the car a few hours ago should you want to leave soon.”

“We can go now?” said Rogue, jumping up out of her seat.

“If you wish.”

Rogue spun round, grinning at Logan, “Well..” she paused sheepishly, “I kinda already got my bag packed.”

With a smirk, Logan pushed to his feet, “Sounds like we’re decided then.”

“Take care, Logan,” said Charles warmly, extending his hand.

Logan regarded it with a dubious glance before he slowly outstretched his own hand and shook his slowly. He nodded his head in a firm motion, “You too.”

“I hope to see you again,” continued Charles as he gently place his hand again Rogue’s clothed upper arm, squeezing affectionately. “Don’t forget to keep in touch, especially if you see anything suspicious.”

“Ah promise,” said Rogue with a bright smile. “I’m gonna go get my bag, an’ we gotta sort out yours, we should get some drink too ta take ‘cause you need that when travellin’..” she continued to babble excitedly, hurrying on out of the office.

“There will always be a place here for both of you,” said Charles softly, watching Rogue leave. He turned to Logan, “Never forget that.”

With a small nod, Logan made his way to the door, “Yeah,” he said quietly. “Thanks..”