The next morning shouldn’t have come as a surprise to Rogue, but she couldn’t help but be a little taken aback when she was lured out of her slumber to find a sleeping Logan lying besides her. Sunlight filtered in through the closed blinds, squeezing light through the gaps to illuminate the dusty particles that floated through the air. Rogue was wrapped warmly inside the duvet, which was covering her right to her neck, besides her, Logan was a little more dishevelled – probably due to his nightmares. He lay sprawled on his back, covers somewhat disturbed and his already untamed hair a little wilder.

Rogue’s thoughts travelled back to last night, and the brief moment in which she had felt so torn and confused. Nothing else had been mentioned once they had returned back to the room, and they had proceeded to drift off to sleep undisturbed. Rogue exhaled a quiet sigh as she continued to rest on her side, facing Logan’s still sleeping form. It was peaceful, and her concerns seemed to be much less of an issue as she watched him. Everything was all right now.

Besides her, Logan moved a little, rolling from his back and over onto his front. This action caused him to close the gap between them. Rogue shuffled backwards quickly, not wanting their skin to touch and give Logan a poor wake-up call. Sleeping on, Logan settled his head onto Rogue’s pillow instead; one arm sprawled out in front of his face. Rogue had continued to edge backwards, maintaining this when she felt his closest knee bend and come upwards against her bare thigh. He might have had his jeans on, but it was still relatively unexpected. However, she didn’t have anywhere else to go, and with a shriek she toppled backwards off her side of the bed and hit the floor with a thump.

Logan stirred and with a quiet groans he raised his arm from the pillow that supported his head and lethargically rubbed his face. Once his hand dropped he peered around at the empty space about him before he spotted Rogue sitting herself upright on the floor. His eyebrows shot upward as he leant over the edge of the bed. “What you doin’ down there?”

“I didn’t do it on purpose,” muttered Rogue, feeling her cheeks beginning to burn. “I fell out of bed.” Logan chuckled softly, kicking back the covers and pushing himself out of bed. Watching him, Rogue continued, “You rolled over,” she informed him, determined to take the blame off of herself.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” he asked, and without warning he grabbed her by her hands and promptly pulled her to her feet.

Blinking as she suddenly found herself stood, she answered after a pause. “You looked comfortable.”

Logan then did something else unexpected, his hands left hers, and instead picked her up in his arms and placed her back on her side of the bed. Without a word, he clambered back over the ruffled duvet and dropped back down besides Rogue, who was still watching him. He regarded her in silence for a moment, before he gave a small smile, “Have you been watchin’ me sleep?”

“No!” said Rogue defensively, too quickly. Noticing Logan’s smirk, she continued. “I happened to wake up facing you and you were in my line of sight.”

Logan chuckled quietly as he looked up at the ceiling, absently running a hand through his hair to push it away from his forehead. “Sure,” he murmured, then turning his head back to look at her with a smile.

“Shut up,” she muttered softly, giving him a playful slap with her bare hand. Just as her palm was about to make contact with his chest, he grabbed her hand, tugging her underneath his body as he positioned himself above her. His hands were pinning wrists down to the pillow to prevent anymore playful strikes. His actions unexpected; Rogue was easily caught between his thighs when he straddled her, though supported his weight with his knees rather than on her abdomen.

“That’s not very nice,” he told her with a mischievous expression. Rogue continued to look taken aback by his frolics, and it was only as it dawned upon her how well she was held down and how they were positioned did she become worried.

Sure, it was playful, but giving last night’s situation, Rogue felt a little unnerved. Logan gazed down at her, his dogtag swinging like a pendulum in-between their bodies. “Logan..” she said quietly as she stared up at him, finding her voice to be somewhat caught in her throat. His feral-like behaviour was unexpected, and Rogue found herself beginning to admire the way his half-naked body sat around her hips.

His untamed face became attentive, and he continued to watch her with such a scrutiny Rogue felt he could read her mind. “What?” His voice was low and gentle. It was almost suggestive growl.

Rogue glanced across at one of her pinned hands, eyes trailing the clasped fingers about her soft flesh. “You’re gonna hurt yourself.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Logan..” she said again, looking back up at him.

“No, look. Look how long I’ve been touchin’ you. Nothin’s happened yet. It’s longer.”

“It’s gonna happen, Logan! Please!”

He pulled back from her wrists, pausing as he gazed down at her again. “Nothing happened.”

“It could’ve done!”

Logan slowly bowed his head, as though he was realising something. “You’re right, I’m sorry.” With that, he eased himself off of her form and made his way over to the bathroom door.

Rogue slowly sat up, becoming conscious of how her nightdress had ridden up her thighs and quickly pushed it back down. “What’s got into you, anyway?”

“I’m sorry, kid. I was just tryin’ you cheer you up after last night.” He was stood at the sink in the en-suite, rinsing his face with warm water. He had his back to Rogue, who sat watching him from behind with a small frown. She remained silent, and as Logan finished washing his face, he strode out to join the main room again. “We’ll reach Laughlin City by the evenin’,” he informed her, tone back to its rough quality and face a little stern.

This news seemed to cheer Rogue up a little, for she smiled. “Really?”

“Sure,” he answered, pulling his shirt off a nearby chair and buttoning it over his torso. “And after that, it’s Anchorage.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The skies showed signs of an oncoming sunset as their vehicle trekked across the icy roads towards the horizon. Up ahead lay Laughlin city, an important place for these mutants. Earlier that day they had left the Athabasca with brief goodbyes, and as Rogue noted, Susan didn’t look overwhelming depressed at his departure. Perhaps it was true what Logan said, she didn’t care where he went. It was just the sex. As far as Rogue was concerned, it was her friendship with Logan that was something to be envious of, for Logan had very few friends, none of which shared the connection they had. That deep loyalty and unshifting support that had remained even during their argument, and was the one thing that drew them back together again.

“Feels like I ain’t been here in decades,” murmured Logan as he stared down at the distant bar as it came into view. “A lot’s happened, ain’t it, kid?”

Rogue grinned a little, “It sure has. You gonna fight tonight?”

“Don’t see why not. Not a bad joint, this.” He glanced over at her as he drove the car into the snowy carpark. “You gonna watch?”

“Yeah, I’ll even place a bet.”

Logan chuckled in response, allowing the engine to die down before he unbuckled his seatbelt and stepped out of the vehicle. “Are you even legal?”

Rogue shut her car door a little harsher than intended. “I’m eighteen!” she told him, stung by the joke. It was one thing to call her kid, but to then question her age?

Judging by Logan’s expression, he hadn’t really been aware of her age up until now, and whilst he didn’t look surprised, he looked like he didn’t know how to react, and so made up for it by turning around and walking inside. Refraining from rolling her eyes, Rogue followed after him, making sure she was close behind him as they entered the bar. She didn’t want to get split up from him in this place.

The darkness of the bar was punctuated only by a few meek spots of bare light bulbs. With large crowds of various large men and scantily clad women, the bar Rogue met Logan was exactly as she remembered it. “Let’s see who I’m gonna beat, huh?” murmured Logan with a smirk as he glanced over his shoulder at Rogue, then striding off through the crowded room towards the bar.