The ongoing drones of the helicopters still filled the nighttimes sky, their bright searching beams turning off as they retreated from the mansion grounds. Rogue ran down the dark winding roads, burning determination boiling through her veins as she pushed herself onward, faster and faster, to reach the mansion and do what Logan wouldn’t do. As she rounded the crest of the hill, the mansion looked eerily empty. The helicopters were now barely marking the horizon, and the grand building was left with it’s smashed windows and broken doors. Increasing panic built in Rogue’s chest as she stared down at the mansion, soon picking up her feet and racing down the light slope towards the open wrought iron gates.

She didn’t want to leave the X-Men or the students to their fate. Even though she wasn’t as strong as Logan, she would still fight her way in there if any soldiers were still present. She wasn’t quite ready to run away and be a coward. She had dignity, and she would defend them as they defended her. But at the same time, the change in Logan angered and upset her. The only time before she had seen him different was radically so because of Wolverine. But this time, it seemed different, it was still Logan.. just a horrible Logan. she fought to push him out of her mind as she sprinted on through the mansion’s open gates, racing up the driveway, praying that they were safe.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Logan was angry beyond rationality. But at himself. He knew he had only himself to blame for the change in their relationship, and was furious but bemused at his behaviour. He hadn’t intended to upset Rogue, nor make her angry. But the defiant gleam in her eyes fuelled the fire within him, and he had longed to provoke, to goad her like she was his prey. Slamming the car door shut, he started the engine with a ferocious rev of the accelerator, soon reversing the car in the narrow road. Aware his moment of unexplained conceitedness could have cost him everything; he raced off back towards the mansion at a much reckless pace than before.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The front doors of the mansion had been blown open, the beautifully crafted wooden scorched and singed, hanging pitifully off the hinge. Rogue carefully stepped inside, her eyes staring around at the destruction the soldier’s had left in their wake. As soon as their cover had blown, the soldiers didn’t hold back in breaking inside, taking no care as they charged through the mansion in their assault. The remains of a vase smashed crunched under her feet, and Rogue stopped, lifting her booted foot to stare down at the broken pottery. She slowly crouched down, picking up the largest shard and turning it to study the pattern with a saddened expression. “Who’s done this?” she muttered to herself weakly.

“Stryker,” came a voice, and Rogue froze in her actions. Behind her, Logan stepped through the door, his eyes taking in the appearance of the once beautiful entrance hall. Carefully, Rogue rose to her feet, still holding the piece of vase in her hand.

“Stryker?” she replied quietly, not turning to him just yet. The Wolverine in the back of her mind tensed up.

Behind her, she heard Logan advance a few steps, his words quiet and cautious. “Alkali Lake.”

A sudden chill ran through Rogue, murky visions of agonising torture flashing to the forefront of her mind. Screams rang through her ears, the vision of bloodied claws causing her gut to writhe it discomfort. The memories fled as Rogue span round, staring up at Logan with a fresh anxiety in her eyes. With Alkali Lake came Wolverine. “You need to get out of here,” she quickly whispered. “He’s not after the X-Men, he wants you.”

“Why did you think I didn’t want to linger?” muttered Logan, his arms folding as he rested on the doorframe. “He was here. Stryker. He wanted Wolverine.” Logan slowly closed his eyes, breathing out heavily.

“Logan, don’t give in to him,” Rogue whispered quickly.

“I’m sorry for what happened out there,” murmured Logan. “It’s just..”

Rogue advanced towards him carefully, “It’s him. Wolverine,” she said as she came towards him. “He was tryin’ to come out again wasn’t he?”

There was a slow and solemn nod from Logan.

Rogue slowly glanced around the building, unable to stop her heart sinking at the destruction. “Where has everyone gone? Is there anyone still in the mansion?”

Logan lifted his head slowly at her words, responding as he concentrated a little harder to identify anyone in the multitude of new scents that drenched over the mansion. He then looked further down the corridor, a hand lifting to indicate silence from Rogue. He slowly tread forwards, expert silence worked beneath those hard soles. There was a fallen body ahead in the dark corridor and whilst Rogue could not see, the slowly extending arm towards a rifle was unmissable to Logan. There was a split second of stillness before Logan darted forward, fast motions spurring the rattling barrage of fire. Claws swiped the weapon into useless scrap, other hand driving fist towards the soldier’s neck, soon eliminating any strength the human had left. The corridors were littered with more than the remains of broken artefacts. Luckily, the lack of light meant Rogue couldn’t see how bad Logan’s previous bloodshed had been.

Logan straightened, turning to see Rogue peering anxiously through the darkness. “The mansion is empty,” he said stiffly. “Last chance, Marie. Make your choice, are you comin’ with me or not?” Rogue looked towards him slowly, her eyes studying his face before she nodded her head in agreement. He strode forwards, taking her hand in his and hurrying towards the door. This time, Rogue turned and followed, their previous dispute forgotten as she travelled with him. She didn’t want to put Logan in danger by making it easier for Stryker to get him. She agreed. They needed to get away from the mansion and leave quickly.

Admittedly, she was apprehensive about the future, aware of what had happened with her dealings with Wolverine in the past. She loved Logan; she didn’t want to see him taken by the same dark force that prowled in the back of her mind. She knew how horrendous it was, she know how fearful his life had been before he found her. She wanted to make it all better. It seemed now the tables had turned. Rogue wasn’t the one in danger. It was Logan; Logan was the one who had someone after him. And after everything Logan had done for her, Rogue had no qualms about sticking by his side, no matter what came their way.