The door of the motel room was unceremoniously slammed behind Rogue’s sulky entrance, following Logan into the room. Both of their bad moods had barely ebbed on the journey here. Logan seemed happy enough to ignore her, trudging towards the window and staring down over the snow covered car park. Fixating an irritated glare at the back of Logan’s head, Rogue stomped into the en-suite with the decision to shower. Both to try and freshen up after almost twenty-four hours on the road and to be away from Logan.

Behind a locked door, Rogue stripped from her clothing, chuntering under her breath about Logan’s ever timely decision to jump in the save the day. Just for once, she had wanted to sort out her own problems, not have someone rush in to steal her glory. Other than that, Rogue’s harsh anger was relatively unexplained, but she didn’t care about its source as she violently wrenched on the hot water and stepped inside. Both of them had been increasingly uptight since leaving Westchester, and Rogue still had no real idea of where they were going. Logan seemed to be making the decision, but she was curious as to why they were passing through Canada (which she discovered herself since Logan hadn’t been talking to her.) In all sense, they needed to sit down and talk about their plan of action regarding the situation at hand. Rogue was well aware the pair of them behaving in such an aggressive and sulky manner was not going to help matters, but that didn’t stop her from continuing to mutter to herself as she washed her hair under the hot water of the shower head.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Rogue exited the en-suite dressed in her only clothes, surprised to see that Logan hadn’t budged from the window. He had remarkable patience to stay in one place for so long, for Rogue had spent as much time as possible in the shower, exceeding half an hour easily. Her time apart from him had calmed her down a little, but she wasn’t willing to push her luck. She knew Logan was probably irritated for several reasons and didn’t feel like getting any mouthful of abuse. When Logan was in this state, Rogue was prepared to leave him to it. She passed behind him without even glancing his way, moving to sit on the edge of the bed and try to neaten her wet hair. Eventually she settled for tying it up in a tight ponytail again.

It was then Logan turned from the window, at a slow, careful pace. He also spoke, “Are you alright?” he asked quietly, allowing his eyes to roam over her face. Rogue had only just managed a nod when a frown appeared on Logan’s brow, halting her from responding. Advancing, he came closer to her, gently lifting a hand to place his cool fingers against a harsh bruise at her cheekbone. “I’m sorry I didn’t come out sooner.”

Rogue refrained from rolling her eyes, and settled for a low sigh. “Logan, you don’t need to worry about me. I could have handled it myself.”

“Oh, come on – “

“No, Logan!” Rogue cut over, giving him a warning look. “I’m sorry, but you’ll have to accept this. I’m not the frightened little girl you rescued from Laughlin City anymore. I know how to look after myself.”

Logan crouched down in front of her, a sigh of his own escaping his lips. “And you’ll have to except this, Marie. I can’t stand aside and watch some jumped-up dick try and hurt you. What kinda guy would I be if I didn’t feel the need to protect my girl?”

At this, Rogue’s eyes glanced down, seeming awkward for a moment. “I know..” she said softly. “I just feel like you don’t give me a chance, like you don’t believe I can do anythin’.”

“That ain’t true,” replied Logan with a frown. “I’ve seen you executin’ them moves, kid. I know you’re good. Storm has taught you a lot. But all the same, I got instinct, and that’s an instinct to protect you.”

“Even though you said you’re not a hero,” said Rogue, glancing up at him with a small smile.

“Well, I’m a hero for you, ain’t I?” Logan replied, a crossing smirk crossing his lips.

Nodding her head, Rogue leaned forward, sighing softly as she pulled him into a tight hug. “I’m sorry I was being such a bitch to you.”

“Nah,” he said quietly, holding her close. “I don’t know what’s been up with me these past few days.. my head’s been all over the place.”

There was a moment’s hesitation before Rogue pulled back, “Is that Wolverine?” she asked, and as the name was spoken she felt a shiver run through her, a sudden flash of burning eyes flaring through her mind.

Apparently Logan hadn’t noticed her reaction to the words, for his eyes were lowered as he was staring fixatedly at the floor in silence. Then, very quietly, he said; “Yeah. It’s been a lot more prominent lately,” he explained. “That personality..” He then sighed, “I know it’s not an excuse for – “

“No, no..” said Rogue, shushing him gently. “I understand, Logan. It’s Stryker, I know that. He’s tried to get Wolverine out and it’s unsettled you a bit. But things will be alright, you’re away from him now, things will be back to normal soon.”

“I hope so,” he replied with a weary sigh, leaning to kiss her forehead. “I keep feelin’ emotions that ain’t my own, wantin’ to do things I don’t wanna do.”

Rogue closed her eyes gently as his lips made contact. When he pulled back, her eyes lifted to survey him with a gentle smile. “Just remember what saved you last time,” she said softly, his lifting gaze now meeting hers. He mutely nodded, managing to return a weak smile for her. “You know, what? Maybe you should get some sleep,” said Rogue, resting her hands upon his shoulders. “It’s been a long twenty-four hours, and neither of us have had a good sleep.”

“Well, that’s what we got this bed for, ain’t it,” he replied, smiling as he noses her cheek and stood to his feet. “I’ll go take a quick wash and then join you.”

“Ok,” said Rogue softly, watching him as he turned and proceeded to retreat, entering the bathroom and disappearing behind the closed door.

There were no hesitations about climbing into bed that night. Rogue eased herself into bed after kicking off her shoes, fully clothed due to have nothing else. She sighed comfortably as she sank down against the pillow, buried to her neck in the warm confinements of the duvet. Sleepy eyes faced the window, time mindlessly drifting by as she silently watched the nighttime sky. It had been an exhausting few days and Rogue had almost drifted off when she was stirred by the arrival of something warm behind her. She smiled a little to herself as she felt Logan’s arm curl about her waist, his hand lightly stroking over her stomach. His hold became a little more prominent and he possessively pulled her back close against his chest.

But his grip was getting tighter and Rogue opened her eyes in confusion, a frown deepening her brow. “Logan?” The muscles of his arms were not relenting in their increasingly firm hold, so much so it was becoming painful. Giving soft winces, a bemused Rogue glanced over her shoulder. Things suddenly flashed bright and hazy, her eyes meeting solid black as agonising pain flooded through her chest. She drew in a strangled breath that was abruptly useless in it’s endeavours; for she had felt his claws successfully rip upward into her ribcage.