The pain was agonizing. Logan knew his body would prefer to sit and rest as it healed, but he forced himself up the sloping cliff of snow. He could smell the scent of that wretched mutant, a mutant of whom Logan now wanted to shred from limb to limb.

He could have killed Marie..

Logan hurled himself across the top of the cliff, rolling over into the snowy road and across the broken barrier, which the van had crashed through. He gasped quietly as he pushed up onto his hands and knees, looking up through the blustery wind to see Sabretooth stood waiting a few feet away with a lewd smile sat crookedly on his lips. His amusement in the situation made Logan’s blood boil, and ignoring pain and injury, he leapt from the floor, flying at Sabretooth with a throaty roar.

The pair tumbled backwards into the snow with angry noises as a brutal fight ensued as the pair struck each other without mercy. Logan was rather handicapped in this fight, for he already had numerous bleeding wounds before he even got into the fight with Sabretooth. The fall of blood was progressively increasing, only made worse as Sabretooth suddenly raised his hand and viciously sliced five claws down across Logan’s face before throwing the mutant off his torso.

Logan hit the hard packed snow a few metres away, his slowly healing face now fresh with new wounds. Five lines of shining red lay across his face. Logan winced slowly as he lay on his front, gradually picking his head up off the floor and cracking his neck loudly. Then, all of a sudden claws dug tightly into his back, gripping his skin as he was hurled off his back and dragged round to face a bloody visage of Sabretooth. The smirk was still in place as his fist pulled back and crashed it into Logan’s gut.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The sounds of the fight echoed eerily over the white landscape. Rogue was sat in the snow, holding her broken wrist painfully in her lap. She stared at the top of the cliff with frightened eyes, hearing but not seeing the fighting. The pained snarls and angry growls formed horrible visions in her head to what could be happening up there. But then, it went quiet and Rogue watched the empty cliff top with a bated breath. She heard a crunch in the snow a short distance away, causing her to gasp and quickly look round.

“Hello?” she called in a nervous voice, “Who’s there?”

The trees rustled quietly, the deep undergrowth visibly shaking.

“Hello?” Rogue’s voice doubled in it’s anxiety.

Then, out of the bushes staggered Logan, as bloodstained as he was before. He quickly looked around the area, squinting his eyes before he spotted Rogue and noisily crunched his way over to her. “Rogue!” he coughed quietly, coming to a halt besides her and crouching, “It’s alright, come on. Let’s get out of here.”

He rested his arms about her waist as he lifted her up from the snow, setting her on her feet. She saw him anxiously looking around the area and a brief smile flicker over his lips. But within an instant it was gone, and she was sure she just imagined it. She didn’t feel all that great; her mind was playing tricks no doubt.

But Logan merely tightened his hold, looking cautiously around the area as he hurried her into the trees. “Logan..” winced Rogue gently as she limped forward, her injuries hurting all the more as she was rushed along. But he didn’t seem to notice. He quickly pushed her forward into the bush and out of sight, glancing around him one last time before he suddenly showed no sign of limping injury for he abruptly turned and leapt in after her, his eyes burning a flash of yellow. A horrified scream followed.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The fresh white snow was dotted by splashes of crimson. Only more came as Logan was thrown on his front for a countless time, smearing blood from his face and into the snow. He gasped quietly as he laid there, the blood of his fighting injuries seeping off his face. Sabretooth growled as he walked up behind Logan, flexing his fingers slowly as he made to grab the man by the back of his clothing.

But a sudden scream pierced the cold air and froze both of their actions. Logan quickly lifted his head, staring at the cliff edge. Rogue! With a growl he whipped round with a surprising grace, balancing on his hands as he clunked two heavy feet across Sabretooth’s face, sending the feline-like mutant tumbling back to hit the snow. Logan sprung onto his feet with a new burst of energy. He ignored the fallen Sabretooth, sprinting to the cliff edge and leaping off. He ran down the steep slope, skidding and slipping as he frantically hurried. He scrambled around plants and rock, tripping a few times before at one point falling head over heels and rolling several metres down into the valley in a cloud of powdery snow enhanced with a grunt of pain.

In pain or not, he pushed himself to his feet as he landed near the battered camper van. His eyes scanned the area sharply, sniffing intently and hearing for the slightest sound, “Marie?” he staggered around slowly, straining to hear anything in the blowing wind, “Marie!”

As much as he yelled, his enhanced abilities did not betray him. Rogue’s scent was fading fast. Logan stood in a dumbfound silence for a moment, staring at the destroyed vehicle that lay on it’s back in the snow. How could she have gone? His bloodied fists tightened. It had to be something to do with that Sabretooth.. He looked round, glaring at the top of the cliff he had just ran down. Sabretooth’s scent was also fading.

A stricken silence fell around him, even the wind seeming to quieten so he could mull over just how alone he suddenly was. But then, that silence was suddenly broke by the sound of a helicopter’s blades, and from above the trees a helicopter flew over, too high from the ground for him to see clearly inside. He stared up at it, watching it fly over with angry eyes. It continued on across the trees, the sound of its blades fading as it quickly flew away.

A sickening feeling of hopelessness settled upon Logan as he slumped down to sit down in the snow, staring in at the wreckage in a shaken silence. As quick as that, she was just.. gone. Surely he must be mistaken. He lifted his head into the breeze, trying so desperately to find her familiar scent, but it had weakened. Gone with that helicopter. He had only known the girl for a few days, but to suddenly have her taken without warning and in such dangerous circumstances triggered a horrifying wrench on his heart. Slowly Logan bowed his head, holding his forehead by his palms as he sat quietly.

Then it hit him. What would he do now? What the hell could he do? He was pretty sure that his van had been written off after the little tumble, so that meant a long walk was in store. But what about Marie? He couldn’t just leave her, wherever she had disappeared to. But how did he catch up with a helicopter? How did he even begin to work out where it was heading?

He slowly picked himself up off the floor, deciding he should try and see what he could salvage from the mess of the carnage. He had only managed to reach its side when the rumble of an engine alerted him and he quickly threw his head back to stare up at the sky hopefully. A spectacularly large aircraft flew overhead, sleekly built, colour of dark silver. It wound across the sky with expert precision, slicing through the air cleanly. It zoomed off in pursuit of the helicopter, causing the trees below to rustle as he swiftly passed by.

For a brief moment, Logan stood with an awed expression on his face. Eventually a sullen frown crossed his features before he turned to face his camper van, pulling open the upside down door which merely fell off with a tired creak and collapsed upon the snow. He sighed quietly before he stepped inside to gather what he could.