Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, this is the ending the my bunny wanted this fic to have. Basically because its a similar feeling that the end of the song has.
The months moved on passed her. Christmas, the New Year, all came and went without her eyes or heart registering any of it. All there was was the nightmares that became of life of their own. No longer was it just Logan in danger, but now Logan with other women, Logan not being defeated in a cage fight but instead enjoy it, savagely beating his opponent, Logan beheading men in black masks then opening his blood soaked arms.

Then there were the dreams, the fantasies, of her and Logan together. They were so beautiful and all the more painful in their absurd fakeness. It all spun around her until she didn’t know what reality drained her more. But still she could not remove the tags from their place around her wrist.

Months, and still he had not come home. It was only two other times that she knew of that he called the mansion, once talking to the Professor the other to Jean again; neither did he ask to speak to her. Neither did he give them any information to pass on to her. All they told her was that ‘he was fine’. That she shouldn’t worry over someone with a healing factor. That he was just being Logan.

She tried to drag herself out of her own misery, sick of her own pathetic ness. Then she heard the noise. The blessed sound of the roaring and all the heaviness in her soul rushed out faster than she could barrel out of her room. It was definitely the unmistakable rumbling of a motorcycle engine. He was back.

She actually laughed as she shoved students out of her way to get to the front door. None of it matter. Not the waiting, not the nightmares, not the looks and the stares she got from people, none of it. He was back.

The black beast came to a dust-blowing stopped right as she busted out of the door. He swung his leg over the side, stepping off.

“Rogue,” he greeted when he saw her.

Her whole body locked up and froze. Her heart stopped beating; her chest stopped bringing in air, her pale skin lightened to near translucent levels.

He quickly took her helmet off and threw it aside. “Rogue, are you alright? What’s wrong?”

She shook her head, no longer able to keep the tears that had been welled up for over a year at bay. Her own sobs choked her but still she didn’t move.

“Rogue, what the hell is the matter? Do you want me to go get Jean?” he asked worried, his gloved hand coming to hold her behind her head.

“No, Scott,” she pushed his hand away and stepped back. “No. I’m...I’m fine.”

“You sure?...” he asked skeptically.

“Yeah.” She didn’t wait for him to say anything else and just started walking. She didn’t know where she was going, she was just moving further down the driveway, away from the mansion. Away from all the people and everything.

Her body moved along the graveled path but her mind replayed all those images in her head. Images she had a year to create and he had just as long to ruthlessly tear them down. It was not some hopeless, unknown crush of hers. He knew. He knew how much she loved him. He told her as much with his eyes just before he walked out the door.

He knew. The bastard knew.

She suddenly collapsed to her knees onto the hard surface of the drive way. Her momentum sent her forward but she caught herself with her hands. Her gloves kept them from getting scraped. He knew.

She moved to wipe the cascading tears off of her eyes but yelped in pain when the hard metal of the chain scrapped across her face. Her other hand flew up and grabbed at it, not rubbing or caressing it, but clawing at it. She tugged on it but it refused to release its grip around her wrist. A frustrated scream escaped through the tears as she pulled on it again with all her might until finally the clasp gave.

It looked so defenseless in her trembling hand. It looked like such a perfect symbol of love. But it was nothing but an unwanted, painful lie; just as unwanted as she was. And she foolishly took it; took it from a man who so easily gave it too her. He knew and still he gave it to her.

She shook her head, cursing herself and him. Then she gathered all the strength she had and threw the useless scrap as far down the barren driveway as she could with a wretched roar. She didn’t even hear it land. Now it was just as unwanted to her and she was to him.

THE END


Almost Lover- A Fine Frenzy

Your fingertips across my skin
The palm tress swaying in the wind
Images
You sang me Spanish lullabies
The sweetest sadness in your eyes
Clever trick

Well, I never want to see you unhappy
I thought you’d want the same for me

[Chorus]
Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I’m trying not to think about you
Can’t you just let me be?
So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
Should’ve known you’d bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

We walked along a crowded street
You took my hand and danced with me
Images
And when you left, you kissed my lips
You told me you would never, ever forget
These images

Well, I’d never want to see you unhappy
I thought you’d want the same for me

[Chorus]
Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I’m trying not to think about you
Can’t you just let me be?
So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
Should’ve known you’d bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

I cannot go to the ocean
I cannot drive the streets at night
I cannot wake up in the morning
Without you on my mind
So you’re gone and I’m haunted
And I bet you are just fine

Did I make it that
Easy to walk right in and out
Of my life?

[Chorus]
Goodbye, my almost lover
Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I’m trying not to think about you
Can’t you just let me be?
So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
Should’ve known you’d bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do