”Anything, my ass…” Logan grunted, chewing on his cigar. Marie was somewhere close by, probably getting her tongue sucked out and nipples twisted to tight knots. Scent of her arousal was mingling with the fake smoke and stench of booze and cheap perfumes.

Scott had ordered him to clean up the Blackbird. His turn and everything. He had spotted Marie and asked her to help out.
“And you just had to go and promise her anything in exchange, you fucking dumb shit…” He grunted and threw back a girly blue drink Marie had discarded in front of him earlier.

This wasn’t his kind of place. He was too sour. He was too old. He was too fucking tired and agitated and all too aware of all the people around him. Loud and repetitive beat of the noise they had the balls to call a music was tearing huge gaping holes through his eardrums, of course only figuratively speaking. He had checked, twice already. Battled his way to the men’s room and to a decorative mirror in there to see if the blood was actually pouring from his ears, but such luck hadn’t yet happened.

“Kid!” He reached with his right hand, blindly. Felt something between his fingers and grasped it. Pulled it in front of his face. For a moment a very confused and scared frat boy stared at him, then he discarded the poor schmuck and reached again, finding a shirt that felt familiar. This second try produced Marie.

“What?” She looked slightly pissed off, but he figured he’d be a hell of a lot more pissed if she’d done the same to him.
“Sorry. Didn’t mean to interrupt, but I was wondering if we could move this party to somewhere less…”
“Public?”
“Noisy. If I spend one minute more in here I’m liable to bust my eardrums.”
“Okay. I just tell… Where the hell did he go?”
“That prick that tried to get in to your pants? I think I saw him running towards the exit.”
“Logan!”
“Sorry? How the fuck was I supposed to know that he’d run…”
“You could have at least tried to stop him! I was this close of getting laid!”
“Well, excuse me… Think of it as a payback. Can we please leave?”
“But you promised me that you’d spend some time with me…”
“Marie! The entire time we have spent in here you have been sucking tongues! Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but if you wanted to spend some time with me…”
“Fine. Let’s go.”

She was sulking. Definitely sulking. The fact that it was raining, and Logan had earlier decided to be a responsible adult and left his bike back at Xavier’s since the entertainment of the evening consisted mostly of booze didn’t improve her mood. Nor the fact that Logan found it only hilarious that her date had taken off. She wanted to go home. Go home and go to sleep like a good little girl.

“Where the hell are we going?” She asked when it started to look like Logan was contended walking in the freezing rain.
“You’ll see. You’ll see soon enough…” He answered throwing her a cryptic smirk. She wiped off the strands of wet hair that had plastered over her forehead.
“Fuck… I probably look like Alice Cooper by now…” She muttered, trying to remember if her mascara was waterproof.
“Cute Cooper,” Logan corrected her, stopping her and wiping the dark smudges from under her eyes with his thumbs.
“I really am sorry if I interrupted something important. But I thought that I should at least let you know that I was leaving before I left. Wouldn’t been fair to abandon you.”

She shrugged her shoulders. It was so goddamned hard to stay mad at him when he looked at her like that, sincere apology shining in his eyes, small smile tickling the corners of his mouth.
“Nah… It wasn’t that important. Wasn’t as if I was planning to marry the guy…” She drawled. Logan snorted.
“Marriage is overrated anyway. For what do we need spouses for?”
“Uh… To share our lives with… Logan? What are we doing here?”

They were standing at the dock. Water was lapping gently against the support pillars somewhere down below, and she could see the enormous bulk of the Statue Of The Liberty standing further in the darkness.

“Sightseeing? Considering that we both almost got killed up there I thought it would be only appropriate to come and see the place.”
“You haven’t seen it before?”
“I have. But never really looked at it.”

They stood in silence, Logan a warm and sturdy column behind her back, his hands around her shoulders and his jaw resting at the top of her head.

“Marry if you want to. When you find the right guy. Me… There’s not that much to share in my life. And what there is to share… I already share it with you. That’s enough for me.”