”When do they get in to their thick heads that we’re not an item?” She huffed, plopping down on the couch beside Logan.
“Not anytime soon if we keep cuddling up like this…” Logan grunted, throwing his arm around her shoulders and pulling her against him snugly.
“You should have seen Jubes when you walked in with Kate last night.”
“Huh?”
“I was in the kitchen with Jubes when you two came in. It took her less than ten seconds to drag me out to the patio so that you could sneak in without me noticing that you had company. Like it matters… Where is she, by the way? Why on earth are you sulking here on your own instead of cuddling up with Kate?”
“I’d imagine she’s with her husband. It’s their anniversary today.”
“What the crap? How the hell do you think you can keep your girls if you keep going after married ones?”
“And what gave you the impression that I want to keep them? Easier for everybody this way.”
“Even if I lived to be hundred years I’d never understand you…”

Logan was flipping through channels, his fingers curling idly around strands of her heir that rested on her shoulder. Wednesday, and there was nothing good on TV. Wednesday and their turn to stay home and watch that the kids obeyed the curfew.

“We should get married,” she suddenly sighed, stretching on the couch so that her head rested on Logan’s lap. He had turned off the TV and was staring at her with suspicious eyes.
“Why?”
“I don’t know. We’re already acting like old, married couple?”
“And that’s a good reason to get married?”
“Well, Yeah?”
“Jesus, kid… How fucked up from the head you are?”
“Look who’s talking…”
“Takes one to know one… But seriously, where did you get this bright idea?”
“Felt like something we should do. Seeing as everybody already thinks we’re planning to get hitched as soon as there comes a good excuse to make a trip to Vegas.”

Logan was playing with her hair, his gaze fixed to a painting that hung on the wall above the TV. She could tell from the small crinkles at the corners of his eyes that he was thinking.

“Would it change anything?” He finally asked.
“No? Why should it?” She asked.
“Marriage usually comes with certain privileges and obligations.”
“Well, you already think I’m a hottie, and you don’t look too bad yourself…”
“Fuck, kid… This is a joke, right? Just tell me when it’s okay to laugh.”
“Not a joke. Just something that came to my mind when I was thinking how boring this night is going to be.”
“I don’t know should I be insulted or flattered.”
“Just forget it… You think we could sneak out for a while? Go and rent some movie?”
“What kind of a movie? Last time you cheated.”
“Cheated? It was an action movie!”
“Rated PG-13. And only real action happened at the last possible minutes.”
“You started snoring after first five minutes. You looked so tired that I had no heart to wake you up. It isn’t my fault that you missed the whole freaking show.”
“It was black and white. Who the fuck makes black and white movies today anyways?”
“Only first scenes were black and white. Stop whining. At least the lead actor was good looking.”
“So… While I slept innocently like a baby you kept drooling and having x-rated fantasies about strange men in leather coats, is that it? Is that proper behavior for my wife to be?”
“Logan!”
“Fine. Go and get your coat. But no more Jackass-movies, okay?”
“Jackman, Hugh Jackman!”
“What?”
“The name of that good-looking actor. Jackass is a completely different show.”
“Jackass, Jackman… What’s the difference?”
“Jackass-guys are a bunch of hideous looking morons. Jackman looks a lot like you, you big dope!”
“Oh… On the other hand, it isn’t fair to judge that movie so hastily. After all I slept through the better part of it. Maybe we should rent it again…”
“You’re so easy!”
“Easy and free, darling. And all yours for tonight…”

She sniffled and reached for a box of tissues. Logan beat her to it and offered the box to her. She turned on his lap facing him instead of the flickering screen of the TV. He was a manly man, of course he wasn’t sniffling, but there was the telltale moist gleam on his eyes.

“We should have picked another movie…” She whispered. Logan shook his head.
“No… It’s… It was okay. Better than staring at the Shopping Channel,” he grunted, reaching for the cover of the film and picked it up. Stared at it for a moment.
“But I like old movies better,” was his final judgment.
“Why?” She asked, wiping her nose.
“In those the hero gets the girl in the end. Nowadays the hero, the girl, or both of them get killed. Or end up otherwise separated.”
“Aww… You’re just a big softie…” Marie smiled and snuggled closer to him, pressing her face against his chest. His hands curled around her and she could feel him shifting a bit.
“Yeah. I’m a pansy. I like happy endings better than this weird crap. How the hell is it supposed to make that poor guy to feel any better when he knows that his girl went to Heaven instead of Hell?”
“He knows that she’s in the good place with her family?”
“Hmph… Wouldn’t matter to me. Maybe I’m a selfish bastard, but all I got out from that ending was that they were separated against their will. I couldn’t… I wouldn’t let that happen. Ever.”

His hands clasped even tighter around her, and she could feel his warm breath on her skin when he nuzzled the crown on her head briefly before letting go of her.

“But what the heck do I know about those things anyway… Up you go, it’s time to make the rounds and check if those brats actually obey the curfew tonight. I think I heard a window opening at the second floor few minutes ago…”