”So… Itsy-bitsy’s taken care of, and Summers is heading back to the campfire. What do you want to do next?” Logan asked. Marie shivered from the mention of the spider. Lucky escapee from Jean’s lab on sublevel of the mansion.
“I think it would be a good idea to take a bath…” She hissed, rubbing her thighs together. She could still feel the bony, hairy legs brushing against her skin.
“Bath it is, then. You bring bubblies and I bring few candles and we’re…”
“I’m not going in to a bath with you!”
“Weren’t we supposed to spend this night together?”
“How about this: I’ll go and take a quick shower, and you go in to the kitchen and make me some hot cocoa?”

She really didn’t need a bath, or a shower for that matter, but felt miles better afterwards, wrapped to a bathrobe and fluffy towel. She had brushed her hair and was on her way to the kitchen when she stumbled upon something peculiar. A trail made out of mini-marshmallows. It started from her door and extended to the distance, disappearing behind the corner.

She followed the trail, picking the marshmallows to a small bag that she had found hanging from her door handle. The trail ended in front of the stairs that led to the attic of the mansion. She could already smell the scent of cocoa and coffee. To her surprise there was not even a hint of beer in the mix, or any other kind of booze either.

She climbed the steps carefully, her toes already tingling from the slightly cold breeze that whipped at the attic. Sight that greeted her stopped her and made her eyes water.

A small table stood at the middle of the wide-open space. Pillows had been arranged around it. There were candles everywhere, as well as warm quilts. On the table stood two mugs and thermoses. There was also a bag of mini-marshmallows. When she let her gaze turn upwards she saw that the placing of their little picnic was carefully considered. There was a window right above the table and the pillows. It was open, and she could see the dark blue night sky that was decorated with stars, and big, fat and full moon.

“Shit. If you’re going to start bawling I just have to move this party elsewhere…” Logan grunted, brushing past her, carrying a tray filled with crackers and different kinds of salty and sweet snacks.
“It’s… Thanks… Thanks for this…” She managed to stutter and walked to the table.
“It’s for me as much as it is for you,” Logan said, helping her to sit down and spread a blanket over her shoulders. He took a pillow next to hers, folding his feet surprisingly gracefully under him before taking a thermos and pouring her some cocoa.
“Figured you’d want these…” He said, scrunching open a fresh bag of marshmallows and plunking a handful of small wobbly sweets on top of the steaming cocoa before handing the mug to her.

“For what do I owe this pleasure?” She asked when Logan had poured himself some coffee and picked her cold feet on his lap under a quilt he had wrapped around his shoulders.
“Nothing… Everything. I don’t know. Maybe that spider?”
“Spider-man gave you the idea to throw a picnic for us?”
“More like what it was doing…”
“Should I be insulted?” She asked. Logan rubbed her toes. Shrugged his shoulders.
“You just basically accused me of being frigid, and you don’t know if I should be insulted?” She asked.
“I didn’t say that you’re frigid. But I’m curious. Half of the mansion is panting at your heels. Hell, you could beat down ugliest suitors with a stick if you wanted. What’s keeping you back?”
“It’s none of your business. But to ease your mind: I do have a sex life.”
“Vibrators don’t count.”
“Yes, they do. When used properly.”
“They don’t count. And you know why. You get off when you want, that’s a plus. But that’s all you get. Piece of rubber won’t talk with you. You can’t cuddle with it at the end of the day.”
“Can’t get a nasty case of STD either…”
“Can’t fall in love with one either…”
“And why does it matter? I have my trusty dildo for the moments when it feels like this isn’t enough.”
“This?”
“Us. Being friends.”
“You’d want us to be more than just friends?”
“No. It wouldn’t work.”

They leaned back, both mindful of their drinks and settled on their backs on the pillows, staring at the stars above.

“Why do you think it wouldn’t work?”
“It wouldn’t. Trust me.”
“Is it because of Kate?”
“It isn’t because of Kate. It isn’t because of Cas. It isn’t because of Bambi. It isn’t because of you. It’s because of us. Because of what and who we are.”
“Perhaps you’re right. Perhaps…”
“I am.”
“You’re awfully sure about that.”
“I am.”
“You don’t know what you’re missing…”
“Oh, believe me, I know perfectly well what I’m missing. I have had you in my head once.”
“That’s cheating. You told me that you didn’t look.”
“I only told you that I tried not to look. Something may have slipped past my guard every once and a while…”
“What exactly?”
“Wouldn’t you want to know… Let’s just say that it kept me warm when I still had a crush on you and nights were long and cold when I waited my knight in shining adamantium to come home and sweep me off from my feet…”
“Tease.”
“That I am.”
“And I wouldn’t want you in any other way.”

She curled against his side, and they drifted slowly to slumber.