”So… Care to tell me why we drank last night?” He asked. Marie mumbled something incoherent that could have been a curse or just a simple plea to leave her alone.
“Considering that even I have a hangover I’d like to know if it was worth it.”
“It was Max. He was being an ass.”
“I could call him. Apologize. After all it was my fault that you were late.”
“Aww… That’s sweet. But don’t bother. He’s a jerk.”

He rubbed his face tiredly, trying to get rid of the sticky feeling inside of him. Marie snuggled closer against his side.
“Jerk? Are we talking about the same guy? The one you were planning to marry some day?” He asked.
“Yeah. He’s a jerk. And there will be no wedding. At least not with him.”
“Care to tell me why?” He asked, letting his fingers map out Marie’s back in soothing patterns.
“I guess you could say that my eyes opened when I saw his parents.”
“They were pricks?”
“That’s an understatement of the year.”
“Need me to pay a visit to them?”
“Nope… They’re not worth it… But there’s something you could do,” she whispered with a shaky voice, burying her face against his chest.
“Okay. What is it?”
“Just stay there… Hold me. Please?”
“Christ, Marie… You don’t have to ask. Come on. Just let it all out…”

He held her as she cried and let her use his shirt as a handkerchief. It had been a good while since she had been in this state. It had been a good while since she had last needed him like this. And suddenly he felt guilty. Guilty as hell because it only felt good holding her like this and some part of him almost wished she would break up with men more often just so that he could comfort her more often.

“Sorry. Got snot all over you…”
“Don’t worry about it. My shirt’s seen worse. Better now?” He asked. Marie sat up and wiped her face, taking a deep, shuddering breath.
“I guess… Don’t feel like dancing yet, but…”
“Well, that’s a shame. I was going to ask you to escort me tonight, but…”
“Where?”
“Same old, same old… Xavier’s throwing some sort of shindig again, and he needs me to keep an eye on things. Well, since you’re not in the mood I guess I’ll just have to resort to my little black book…”
“Tonight? Do we have the time to go shopping first?”
“I thought you wanted to mope around alone.”
“Duh! You know Xavier’s parties and how they usually go. Somebody has to step in and protect you from those old hags that are looking for a young stud.”
“Rescue me? Young stud? You know, last time I checked I might very well be decades older than any of those hags…”
“Stop whining. I’ll go and take a quick shower. Make sure that your account is ready for some serious pounding.”
“Uh… My account?”
“Well, you asked me to go with you. Surely you’re a gentleman enough to pay for my new clothes?”
“Fuck. I knew there was a catch…”
“Oh, come on, Scrooge. You can’t expect me to wear the same dress I wore last time!”
“And I have to pay because…?”
“You’re loaded. And I’m broke.”
“Fine. Shoo. Go and take that shower. I’ll meet you in the garage in an hour.”

Marie left room, already smiling and giggling slightly. He knew that smirk. Knew it very well. She’d bounce back. No matter what happened, how bad it was, she always bounced back. And that was good.

He tried to remember how much money he had left in his wallet from last night. Yeah, up to some standards he was loaded. Compared to Marie he was the regular Uncle Scrooge, but no amount of money was enough when she got in to mood to spend some. Yeah. They’d have to stop by ATM.
“Damn.” But in the end it would be worth it. He had to admit that he liked these little trips with her. What was there to complain? She needed somebody to tell her an opinion of the clothes she bought. He’d be there, good old Logan, always ready to help out, and while she was in the dressing room he got to ogle women of all sizes and shapes milling around, dressed practically in to nothing as they kept trying to find just the right dress or shirt. Yeah. Would be all-good. And if he was real lucky Marie would want some coffee as well, and he could indulge in to some really sugary concoction that Starbucks offered, just to keep her company, not that he really liked the stuff. Really.