She couldn’t help it. Time after time her gaze wandered towards the cage, no matter how hard she tried not to look. The problem was, that there was a lot to look for.

Logan had, after all, thawed out surprisingly quickly after she had brought out the big guns and made him several pots of coffee. Digesting enough caffeine to dope a horse had made him jumpy and antsy, and they had decided to brave the storm and go to the bar.

She knew it was stupid. There was absolutely nothing wrong with her watching. There were two extremely fit and good-looking men in the cage. If one of them happened to be her best friend, and if for some mystical reason she felt more drawn to him than to his adversary… Wasn’t it only natural to seek the safest option in life? And it wouldn’t be fair towards Logan if she started cheering only when he went down in the ring, now would it?

She tried her best to be not too obvious in her ogling, but quite soon it became apparent that she wasn’t fooling anybody, least of all Logan who kept throwing quizzical glances towards her and sniffling the air when ever she went to refresh his drink.

“See something you like?” He finally asked when she suddenly blushed furiously when his fingers brushed against hers when she handed him the bottle of beer he had asked for.
“Just appreciating the view…” She huffed. Logan shook his head.
“Don’t go there, kid. Mac’s not called ‘The Bruiser’ because of his achievements in the ring…” He rumbled. It took her some time to realize that Logan thought she was running hot for the huge bulk of a man standing at the opposite corner.

She had to admit that the man in question wasn’t bad looking. Not at all. But somehow he didn’t quite compare to Logan who had grabbed a towel and was currently practically hiding behind it, trying to dry off sweat and blood from his face.
“Uh… I take your word for it,” she stuttered. Logan threw away the towel and nodded.
“You better. Besides, I think you would find somebody more… Suitable from the bar than from the ring anyway. These guys, they’re too rough. No good for you.”
“Yes, daddy!” She snapped, suddenly annoyed over his coddling attitude. Logan flinched.
“Daddy?”
“Well, you’re certainly acting like one… Hey!”

Logan had reached through the bars of the cage, and pulled her roughly against the cold metal. Their faces were only inches apart. She could smell the beer. Blood. Sweat. Anger and frustration were rising in his eyes, turning them even sharper shade of hazel. He moved swiftly, let go of her shoulders and grabbed her hips instead, lifting her higher. She had to reach through the bars and clasp his shoulders to stay in balance, and when she did that Logan took the opportunity and kissed her.

It was fast over. She was standing on the floor again, her head spinning, and the gong announced the next round starting.

She stumbled back to the bar and slumped to a stool, cradling her burning face behind her palms. She was still sitting there at the end of the night, listening the slowly dwindling noise, until all that was left was the soft clinking of bottles and glasses as the bartender kept organizing them behind the counter, and approaching footsteps from behind her.

“I’m sorry.”

She lifted her gaze. Logan was leaning against the counter, elbows on the table, hands crossed under his chin and his eyes cast to nowhere in particular.
“I got carried away. I shouldn’t have done that. If… If you want to get back home, I can take you…”
“Shush,” she whispered, surprising herself with her ability to talk.
“We were both out of line. I should have known better than to act like that.”
“And I should have known better than to grab you like that. You’re my fucking friend and I… There just are some things that don’t belong in to this what’s between us. I really am sorry, kid.”
“I’m not sorry about the kiss,” she confessed. Logan’s eyes snapped to hers.
“You’re not?” He asked surprised.
“I’m only sorry for what led to it. But it was a nice kiss. Only one for me tonight, it seems…” She sighed; glancing around and finding the bar empty besides them and the bartender. Logan tilted his head remorsefully.
“I probably scared off everybody from your tail… Shit.”
“Don’t worry about it,” she said, leaning against his side. Logan turned slightly, bringing them nose to nose again. Now there was no anger in his eyes. He blinked when a wayward strand of hair fell over his forehead and landed over his eye. She puckered her lips and blew it off. Before she had the time to retreat Logan’s lips brushed against hers briefly, innocently.
“Friends?” He asked.
“Friends,” she confirmed and laid her head against his chest, wrapping her arms around him. She could hear Logan let out a shaky breath, then his hands wrapped around her and for a long moment they just held each other.