“Catch!” She caught a small package and managed to catch a glimpse of Logan running past her room. He looked like he was in awful hurry. Few minutes later when she still stood stunned at the middle of her room, clutching the small package, she could hear low rumble from outside. The Blackbird. No wonder Logan had been running like the devil was at his heels. He had been as bored as she lately.

She plopped down on her bed and huffed.
“Oh, yes, Marie! We’d love you to come with us! Sure! Isn’t that why you’re training? To be an X-Man? Bullshit. B-U-L-L…”
”S-H-I-T. It’s good to know that you have learned how to spell,” came a chuckle from her doorstep and she sat up, embarrassed and blushing. Logan was leaning against the doorjamb, his hands crossed over his chest. She turned to look and there it was, just outside of her window, black, sleek jet taking off.
“What the hell are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be over there?” She asked gesturing towards rapidly shrinking black dot on the sky. Logan grunted and shook his head.
“They can handle themselves perfectly fine. Scott and Jean. Borrowed a cabin from a friend of mine for their anniversary. Scott forgot the keys.”
“And because you’re so thoughtful and considerate you rushed after him your keychain jingling, right?” She asked.
“I rushed after them with my keychain jingling because Scott’s an anal asshole and he would have called the whole thing off from the first sign of trouble, and that would have pissed off Jean, and in result Scott would have been sleeping on the couch for the rest of this month.”
“Aww… That’s so cute…”
“Yeah. Couldn’t let that happen. You know how Scott likes to go to sleep at nine? And how hockey season just begun?”
“Oh. But you have a TV in your room.”
“No I don’t. Don’t need one when there’s perfectly good home theatre in the living room.”

Logan walked in and sat to the floor, leaning against her bed frame.
“Aren’t you going to open that?” He asked, and she realized that she was still holding the package. Very small package. A size of jewelers box –package. Too small for necklace –package. Too small for necklace but just perfect for a… -package.
“Logan…” She tilted her head and held her breath, trying to figure out what to say.
“Come on, kid. Just open it,” Logan urged her.

She took a deep breath and started unwrapping the silvery foil. She found a small, black box from underneath it. Her eyes darted between Logan’s face and the box that lay on her palm.
“It’s not going to bite. At least I think so…” Logan said completely serious and stuck out his index finger, poking the box gently. She could see his nostrils flaring. Something flashing briefly behind his eyes.
“Just open the goddamned box, would you? This curiosity is killing me!” He finally huffed.
“Curiosity… This isn’t from you?” She asked.
“Nope…”
“Well, in that case…” She sighed relieved and grasped the lid, peeling it off carefully.
“It’s from the professor and me.”

She squeaked and nearly dropped the box, but it was already too late. Logan was cupping her palm with his own larger one, steadying her hand. She squeezed her eyes shut. She could feel Logan’s breath fan over the skin of her palm, then a low whistle.
“Would you look at that… Looks pretty good to me…”

She cracked her eyes open carefully. Looked in to the box. Dropped it and jumped up, wrapping her arms around Logan’s neck and squealed from joy.
“You asshole! You could have just told me! You scared the shit out of me with this ‘mysterious package’ –thing!” Logan just smirked and ruffled her hair.

On her bed sheet laid the gift from the professor Xavier. An official approval to the X-Team. A gleaming X made out of steel. When she picked it up and looked at it closer she noticed that it was slightly different from the others. Three distinctive gauges ran along the length of the X. Claw marks.

Logan pulled his keychain from his pocket and showed her his insignia.
“Had this remodeled as well.” It was the standard X, but now a palm print decorated the middle part of it.
“Prof said that even if this is official, he wants somebody to look after your pretty ass out there. If you’re in a tight spot, just call me. I’ll be there, kid.”
“I’m quite sure that professor didn’t mention anything about my pretty ass, but thanks, Logan. And remember, if you’re stuck and need a hand…”
“I’ll pull my ugly mug out of trouble and then call you. I’m big and mean enough for the both of us, Marie.”