”This is so unfair!”
“It’s not that bad. Or would you rather be out there in the rain?” Logan asked shuffling a deck of cards he had swiped from Remy earlier that night.
“It wasn’t like I left the comm. because I went to get some ice cream! I just came to give you a hand with that bike!”
“But Summers was right. If somebody had been following me, we would have gotten both caught,” Logan pointed out, then started flipping the cards on the table to even rows.

“Devil’s game…”
“What?”
“That’s what my mom used to call Solitaire. Devil’s game.”
“Hmph. Solitaire is Solitaire. For what do you need the devil in it?”
“My grandpa was a gambler. Even when he was at home he had always a card deck with him. If he couldn’t find anybody to play with him he said that he would play with the Devil, then. That maybe he’d find a worthy adversary from him.”
“Fuck. You sure had some seriously fucked up relatives…”
“What ever… I’m going to make tea. You want some?”
“Tea? Uh… Okay…”

She sauntered over to the cupboards and reached for the tin container on the upper shelf. It slipped from her fingers and clattered on the counter, spilling teabags all over the kitchen.
“Just one cup for me, thank you…” Logan muttered after glancing briefly to her direction. She grabbed a handful of teabags and threw them at him.
“What was that for?” He asked puzzled. She started collecting scattered bags and stuffing them back to the tin.
“Nothing. I just hate it when Scott is right. What the hell was I thinking last night?” She huffed.
“Me. You were thinking about me.”

It came out sounding almost like an accusation. She grabbed a pot from the cabinet and filled it with water. Put it on the stove and then turned to look at Logan who was calmly arranging the cards on the table.

“And what’s wrong with that?” She asked.
“Nothing. Usually. I like it when there’s somebody I can count on to back me up. I like it when that somebody is you.”
“But?”
“Remember what I told you when I gave you that pendant?”
“Yeah. You said that you’re big and mean enough for the both of us. Never thought that you actually believed that macho bullshit.”
“Not macho. Not bullshit. I’m big and mean enough to be sent in first. Durable bastard. But you… You got brain for the both of us. Everybody, including Scott, can see that. If something goes wrong when I’m out there I know that you’re here, making sure that all the necessary precautions are taken before you come to fix what I broke. I don’t trust Scott to do that. I don’t trust Professor to do that. I don’t trust Ororo to do that. Just you.”
“Oh.”
“Yeah. Now, how about you put that brain of yours to good use and fix me some coffee instead of tea?”
“You sure do know how to stroke a girl’s ego…”
“And that’s why you love me so much, darling.”
“If I were you I’d go to sleep one eye open tonight…”
“And that’s why I love you so much, darling. Many people try to threaten me, but you’re probably the only one who has the guts and means to back up your words.”

She waited for the water to boil and loaded the coffee maker. Sat opposite Logan, her gaze flickering to the array of cards in front of him repeatedly. She could see small muscle at the corner of his mouth twitch slightly. That twitch turned to a small grin when she scooted her chair around the table and ended up lurking the cards from over his shoulder.

“You’re doing this all wrong. Look… Take this pile from here and move it over there. Then you can switch these two cards and…”
“My God. Your mom was right. I have been sitting here whole five minutes and I already have an itsy-bitsy demoness lurking over my shoulder…”