Story Notes:
A/N: I don't own any of the X-men. This takes place a few years after X1. Partly AU: Logan is back from searching. The biggest changes would be Sabertooth is living in the mansion, he’s part of the X-men, yet still his growly self.
A/N Note: I don't own any of the X-men. This takes place a few years after X1. Partly AU: Logan is back from searching. The biggest changes would be Sabertooth is living in the mansion, he’s part of the X-men, yet still his growly self.


It was the greatest feeling I ever had. Followed abruptly by the worst feeling I ever had. ~ Blow~

Rogue had finally done it, after four years of not being able to touch, she had figured it out. Deliriously happy making her way to tell him that they could finally be together with out scarves or gloves. The sounds of grunts and rutting coming from his room, weren’t registered until she was about to open the door.

Just as her hand settled on the door knob when she finally registered the noise on the other side. She heard her voice and by the sounds of it thoroughly enjoying herself.

"oh Logan, harder, yeah right there", a gruff "fuck, you like that huh" was the reply.

She didn’t think her heart could shatter with a few words but it did. She carefully opened the door, she didn't want to but had to see with her own eyes. There they were with his back to her so he didn't see her. He was taking her from behind riding her like only the Wolverine could, and Jean was enjoying every second of it. and then everything was blurry it took a moment to realize that it was the tears in her eyes.

Slowly she closed the door behind her, so as not to startle the couple. Little did she know that a pair of feral eyes was taking in her every move and scent. Perhaps it was his time to take what he'd always wanted.


Making her way back to her room Rogue remembered all the moments that they had shared together. How shortly after she graduated they had gone on a road trip to Alaska, where they had made love. Looking back he had never promised her anything, never told her he loved her. They never even talked about being in an exclusive relationship, as if the Wolverine could ever be in a relationship. She had told herself that his actions spoke louder than words ever could, that he did love her, or as much as he could love anyone. Like a stupid love sick teenager she had built her dreams around a man that cared so very little for her. He had taken her heart out with a hot poker and stomped all over it. Looking at herself in the mirror all she could think of was how stupid she was to think that she could possible compete, she wasn't even in the same league. She wasn't graceful, poised and polished like Jean was, or exotic and calm like Storm was. She was just plain old Marie, with voices in her head, untouchable skin, and now apparently unlovable as well.

In a fit of rage she tore apart her room unconsciously breaking every present he had ever given her, when she was done the room looked like a tornado had blown through when she finally looked in the mirror again she noticed the chain that was peaking out from under her shirt, tearing it off and throwing it across the room.

finally spent of all her energy she collapsed on her bed, in gasping sobs. After quite some time she caught a glace at herself in the mirror “that’s what you get Marie, for ever trying to be normal or have something for yourself”, she silently promised herself that she would pick herself up and move on. Shit if he could fuck around with no regard for her, then she'd be dammed if he saw her pining away for him. She may not have much left but she had her dame pride and even the Wolverine would not take that away from her.
She closed her eyes, locking everything inside of her. No one knew about their “relationship“, they had wanted to keep it private. And she was going to morn in private as well.

The next morning brought with it a coldness in rogue that she never thought she was capable of. She started making plans there was no way she was going to stick around because she may be able to accept the fact, that the man she loved had broken her, but she wasn’t going to stick around to rub salt in an open wound, there was only so much hurt she could put herself through.

The summer break from College was just starting, it was perfect she'd go away on a trip and might just not come back. Glancing at the clock it was 7:00 she could have breakfast while everyone was still asleep, and then have a quick meeting with the professor. Taking a quick shower she headed down, fully expecting to be alone yet not surprised to see Scott sitting down, just staring at his breakfast as if it was the second coming. He was so distracted that he didn't even notice her until she was sitting next to him.

They took one look at each other and knew what the other was going through. At that moment she felt so bad for him, his wife had been fucking another man. Knowing that there were really no words that would might bring comfort, instead they ate in silence.

“I’m leaving not sure when I’ll be back or even if, but you should probably take some time too, I‘m sure Alex would love a visit from you. Take care of yourself.”

“Rogue, be careful.”

After having spoken with the professor who of course had told her that this would always be her home, and to please keep in touch. Keeping metal tabs with cerebro was almost impossible unless she willingly let her mental shields down, even then it was incredibly strenuous for the professor, it great distances.

Deciding that some shopping was order for a drastic change of wardrobe. Gone would be long sleeves and gloves. She took off in one the cars for a day of shopping and pampering. A few hours later armed with a car full of clothes, she decided that it was also time for a new look, off to the beauty salon to be pampered.

First thing to go, was her long dark mane, her hair now rested just above her shoulders. Next was colour. She decided to get rid of the white streaks and color her hair a deep Cherry almost black to the eye. The end result was actually better than she had imagined. (Think Charlize Theron in Aeon Flux).


Finally home at home she began to back her bags. About an hour later car packed up keys in had and one last sweep of her room, was when she noticed the tags that were on the floor next to her dresser. With a deep sigh she bent over and picked them up. She held them in her bare hands and felt the weight in them, what had once given her great comfort, now felt like an albatross around her neck. Closing her eyes so many memories flashed in her mind. Hadn’t she always given him everything inside of her, sharing her dreams with him, her hopes, and now it felt tainted like she had never really belonged to him, to anyone.

Taking deep breaths she tried desperately to center herself. Taking a plain white envelop from her draw she placed the tags inside. With a heavy heart she wrote Wolverine and nothing more on the front sighing to herself, “I’m sorry I wasn’t enough for you, I’m sorry that I ever got in your way”, she whispered to the empty room. Willing the tears not to come, she closed the door to the room and to her heart as well.

Deciding which way go was relatively easy, now that she no longer needed the gloves to hide behind she was wanted to head some place warm, where she could wear as little clothes as possible. She started driving west she really wanted to feel some sand on her feet and decided that California would do. However destiny would have other plans for her.