I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death.
Patrick Henry



It was a simple plan, create a diversion, destroy evidence and rescue any remaining mutants inside. Three separate teams one for each tack, but as always nothing is ever simple.

Gambit, received the message from Cyclops to activate the bombs that were in place. The place lit up brighter than the fourth of July. Pyro lit any and all objects that had gone flying into the air creating more destruction. Iceman had covered the front in ice so that once the troops came out it would slow them down. Meanwhile Havok and Polaris were on the left flank waiting for the multitude of soldiers that were making their way out to see what was happening.

All too soon there were dozens of guards with guns aiming in the direction of Pyro, Gambit, and Iceman. With a sneer on his face Pyro created a wall of fire in front of the soldiers, he was so full with rage that the wall feed off his emotions and grew in size licking at the soldiers bodies. The thought of Rogue inside and being experimented on and prodded at like she was no better than an animal, made Pyro mad with fury. How anyone could not love her, was unconceivable, and to hurt her was unfathomable to him. The wall of fire burned so hot the soldiers hair was singeing, and their weapons grew hot in their hands, forcing them to drop the hot metal. The Pyromaniac was blinded by his fury, the love that he had for the southern beauty fuelling his darker emotions. He could feel the threads of his control giving away, as the fire grew to enormous proportions, he couldn’t even hear Gambit shouting at him. The agonizing screams of the soldiers didn’t stop him as they began melting before him. Only feeling the satisfaction flow threw him, as they turned to ash.

Gambit and Iceman were shocked to see their team member burn the soldiers alive that they never noticed more soldiers filing to the right of them. They never saw the soldier raise his weapon and aim it at Pyro.

Polaris caught the flash of metal and acted as quickly as she could, using her power to try and pull the gun out of the soldiers grasp, however it was a split second to late and a tipped bullet grazed the side of Pyro’s head, effectively putting him out of commission and the fire all but went out.

Havok acting quickly let out plasma blasts to distract the soldiers, and give Iceman a chance to pull Pyro out of the line of fire and get him back to the blackbird. Gambit regaining his composure joined in the battle sending out his charged guards at the armed men to disperse the clusters they were in.

Turning completely to clear ice, Iceman tried to retrieve Pyro, while Polaris took their guns away from them. Gambit and Havok used their powers along with their combat skills to fight off the soldiers as they piled out of what was left of the main entrance to the compound.

Meanwhile Wolverine and his team (which was made up of Nightcrawler, Mirage, and Colossus) were waiting for the bulk of soldiers to come out so they could sneak in from the South East side to get inside and rescue Rogue, Sabertooth and any other mutants that may still be alive. Logan wanted so desperately to help his team members when he saw Pyro go down but Wolverine took over and knew that getting to Rogue was a priority, biting back a growl, he signalled for his team to follow him into the side entrance.




Taking a deep breath, Rogue tried to hold on to the remaining strength she had left(which wasn‘t much), repeating the same mantra in her head over and over again, I have to get out I have to get out. Using the wall to help support her up. God she was so cold, the flimsy hospital gown did little to cover her, combined with bare feet against the concrete on the floor sent chills up her spine. She tried to move as quickly as possible, trying to ignore the gush of warm blood that tricked down the inside of thigh, and the throbbing pain in the base of her spine. She didn’t want to think about what it meant, it wasn’t the time, or the place to mourn for things that couldn’t be helped. Concentrating on the pain in her abdomen, because the pain in her heart was so much greater.

Reaching the end of the corridor, the whole place shook bringing Rogue to the floor once again. The sounds of explosions and alarms went off and the hole place went to hell. Rogue tried her best to hide behind some debris as soldiers ran through the corridor, guns in hand.

Finally some luck was on her side the were heading in the opposite direction, once the way was clear Rogue made her way towards the holding chamber they had Victor in. She hoped that whatever had made that explosion was help, but she couldn’t be sure, even if it was she didn’t know if she could face her would be rescuers, it seemed all too late for her. She couldn’t remember much, mostly feelings, and they weren’t very pleasant. Her worst nightmares had come true, wanting to at least spare Victor any more agony. The guilt ate away at her, he may not be a good man, or very honourable, but he was here because of her, because they were looking for her and found him, found them both. She trudged on, welcoming a fate of certain death.



Chapter End Notes:
Here you have it, Hope you enjoyed this chapter a few more chapters should wrap up this story. Wanted to show Pyro's dark side in this, he may be an X-men, but he's still unpredictable. I also like the idea of Pyro loving Rogue so much and not wanting anything in return simply wanting her to be safe.