"How long have you been here?" Rogue asked softly, trying to fill the silence. The room was entirely still. Rogue had realized sometime ago that there were others, none of which were willing to talk, though. Although she had lost Logan’s abilities sometime ago, she could almost smell the fear wafting through the cages. It didn’t mater, though. The only being she could see at this time was Pyro.

“A week, maybe two. You lose track of time easily.” He sighed as he lowered his head. “They don’t turn off the lights. No one talks. To often, people don’t come back. No one wants to make friends.”

“There’s no hope left here, is there?” It was more a statement than a question, but he shook his head no, anyway.

“You’ve noticed the collar around your neck, right?” He tilted his head in her direction as her hand reached up, almost on its own. She hadn’t noticed before, but sure enough, it was there. It felt could and hard, but very light. She wondered if it was metal or some kind of hard plastic. “That thing suppresses your mutations. We’re completely normal with them. They already know what we can do, they don’t need any demonstrations. They’ve been studying us for years.”

“But why us? I mean, I don’t know about the others, but you and I, we both have flaws to our mutations.” The look he gave her was full on uncertainty.

“Come, on, John,” she smiled at him, almost forgetting where they were. “I kill people with a touch. Until a few days ago, I had no control. I have all these personalities in my head, screaming all the time. You can’t produce fire, only control it, play with it, really. Why didn’t they go after Bobby, who can use the humidity? Or Kitty? Why not those who can actually control what they do a little more easily?”

“I don’t have all the answers, damn it!” He yelled suddenly, forcing her mouth to close with an audible snap. She watched as he physically relaxed, waiting to see what he did next. “Am I still in your head?” He asked softly.

“Always.” She didn’t want to look at him, and so she lowered her head, allowing her hair to hang over her face.

“Am I one of the ones screaming?”

“Sometimes,” she whispered slowly. “Sometimes you want in control so bad, it’s painful. Sometimes, you’re cold and distant, like you don’t want me to know what you’re thinking, like Bobby. Sometimes you’re like Erick, manipulative, condescending, and hurtful. And sometimes you’re like Logan. Quiet, soothing, helpful. But, a lot of times, you’re yourself. The way I knew you when we were just kids. You try to make me laugh in a room full of people, just to feel my cheeks grow red. You like to crack jokes on other people as I walk through the school. You have a major crush on this 16 year old girl named Cloud. You like to tell me about how she used to follow you around like a lost puppy.” She saw his face fall, and giggled. “You got to remember, in my head, you’re still 17.”

He looked at her and smiled softly, remembering the things he left behind when he went to join the brotherhood. “Were you happy?”

“Yes. That last day, when I could not only touch, but touch the one man I have always wanted, was the greatest moment of my life, and I had only just grasped it before it all vanished. She could feel tears sliding down her cheeks, but was too tired to hide them.

“Specimen number 368785.” They grew quiet as they heard a distant door open and close somewhere in the large room. “Code name is Rogue. Real name is Marie D’ Ancanto. Manifestation at 16 years of age. Skin absorbs the life force of any one the specimen touches. In the case of mutants, also absorbs abilities for an undistinguishable amount of time.” The voice was very cold and detached. It was a woman, and she was speaking with someone as they came closer to the cages.

“And if she kills them?” A male voice asked, curiously. The enthusiasm in his voice was more disturbing than the woman’s coldness.

“It’s believed that it is permanent.” She replied. “She absorbed a woman named Carol Danvers, and gained the abilities to fly, super strength, and invulnerability. She is almost perfect.” The woman sighed, and Rogue couldn’t help but to shudder.

“Almost.” She could hear the man’s chuckle, and she wanted to scream. “Who will she breed with?”

“No one will. She already carries the child of the Wolverine. Sabertooth confirmed it this morning. He could smell her ovulation and Weapon X on her. He is willing to bet she’s pregnant, and he’s pissed about it.”

“Why is that?” The man asked.

“Isn’t it obvious? He wanted her for himself. She was supposed to be the final installment to his payment, provided we received the first offspring that showed both parents mutations”