The pounding of her heart was all she could hear as the car speed from the garage, with Logan behind the wheel and John and Bobby huddled in the back, all of them still in shock, confused and afraid. It had all happened so fast, without warning…she had, in one moment, been sleeping safe and sound in her bed and the next, the world she had come to love had been under attack by anger looking soldiers carrying guns filled with darts they had fired at kids without hesitation. Screams and cries for help had shattered the night, frantic and fear filled and all she had been able to think about, the only one she had been desperate to find had been Logan…had to find Logan…had to…those words had echoed in her head again and again, and even after she found Bobby and John and Logan had ushered them off to safety, he had been the one and only thing on her mind.





She had known she couldn’t leave without him…she wouldn’t…even if Bobby and John had not gone back with her, she would have went back on her own and she would have found a way to save Logan.





Just like he had always found a way to save her.





“What the hell was that back there?” John sounded breathless.





“Stryker. His name is Stryker.”





“Who is he?” Rogue whispered, her eyes on Logan.





“I don’t know. I can’t remember.”





For her, that said it all. It told her what Stryker was to him.





A ghost from the past.





A shadow figure that had haunted his nightmare for years.





Looking down at her bare arms, her bare hands, her bare skin, she noticed the tags on her wrist.





The tags he had given her, promising her he would return.





And he had.





To find hell.





Unhooking the chain from her wrist, she held it out to him.





“Here. This is yours.”





He glanced from the road, to accept the tags, looked down at them and back at her, as their eyes locked and without words, she told him it would be okay, that no matter what happened, she still believed in him and always would.





Always.





John popped from the back seat.





“What are you doing?”





“I can’t stand awkward silences.”





Rogue winced, as did Logan, when The Back Street Boys blared through the speakers.





“Christ, John.”





“Sorry.”





“Jeez, Scott has shitty taste in music.” Logan looked ready to claw John.





“John, sit the hell down.” Rogue snapped, thinking a clawing wouldn’t be that

bad.





Ignoring both of them, John kept punching buttons.





“Wow. I don’t think that is the CD player.”





Reach for the discover John had made, Logan told him to sit down and this time, he listened.





“What the hell is this?” Logan asked, glancing at Rogue.





“Some sort of com device, is my guest.”





“Good. Maybe we can track someone day.”





“Where are we headed, Logan?”





“Storm and Jean are in Boston. We’ll head that way.”





“My parents are in Boston.” It was the first time Bobby had spoken since they had left the mansion, he had simply set back and watched the others.





Mainly Logan and Rogue.





He had been the only one grateful to John for breaking the awkward silence.





“Good. We have a place to go.”





Bobby fell quite again, as did John, and Logan seemed to forget the to boys were in the back as he glanced towards Rogue, to find her pressed against the door, clearly feeling uneasy about the exposed skin.





“It’s okay, kid. Relax.”





“It all happened so fast, I didn’t think to get any gloves…”





“I would rather have you with me gloveless than covered head to toe with those son of a bitches that crashed the mansion.”





She smiled a little. “Logan…”





He reached out and stroked a lock of hair back from her face and tears burned her

eyes at the simple touch.





His touch.





“It’s okay, kid. We’re okay. You’re with me and I ain’t gonna let anything happen.”





“Promise?”





“Always.”





She smiled again and sighed, leaning back against the seat, feeling almost relaxed as Logan winked at her before turning his attention back to the road while Bobby silently watched the scene, feeling like an intruder and wondering if Rogue would have even missed him if he hadn’t escaped the mansion.





THE END







Title: Come Back For Me

By: Lisa

Summary: A Scene I Would Have Loved To See In X2.

Disclaimer: Not mine.

Feedback: Please. I like it lots. It makes me smile.





“Logan?”





Her soft voice came to him as he laid alone in the tent and he smiled, knowing by her sweet smell that it was really *her* and not the Blue Bitch.





“Come in, kid.”





He set up as she unzipped the tent, stepped inside, took a moment to zip it back up and finally turned to face him.





“I can’t sleep.”





He scooted over on his sleeping bag and she took the invitation to sit down next to him, which was just where she wanted to be.





“Want to tell me what’s wrong?”





“Everything. Logan, this is big.”





“I know. I wish you were somewhere else…”





But she shook her head. “I wouldn’t want that, I want to be here cause you are.”





“Kid…”





“Do you believe in God?”





The question caught him off guard and he frowned. “God?”





“Yeah. God. The Big Guy. The Creator.”





“I’m familiar with the concept, kid.”





“So am I, but do you think He’s up there?”





“Hell, I don’t know. Maybe. Maybe not. Never thought about it much.”





“I didn’t use to, until my skin kicked in.”





“And? Do you believe in him?”





“Well, after my skin kicked in, I decided no, but then I changed my mind.”





“What changed your mind?” He was curious now.





“You.”


“Me?”





“When I met you, I kind of figured there had to be a God, cause allowing me to met you saved my life and I realized you were a gift He gave me and I haven’t stopped thinking Him for it. I never will.”





“Marie…”





“Today…” Her voice cracked. “I thought I was gonna die, Logan, when I was sucked out of the jet and all I could think was how could God give me this great gift and then let me die before I could spend all the time with you I want to spend with you.”





He wasn’t sure what to say to that. He just knew what he couldn’t say.





Not yet.





“And now, this all isn’t over, we have to go to Alkali and I know I’m gonna be stuck on the plane with Bobby and John while you run off with Jean and Ro to find Scott and The Professor and I…I’m scared for you, Logan.”





“Hey, kid, you know I’ll be fine.”





“No. No, I don’t know that. I don’t know that cause I do know this Stryker guy is insane, he has something to do with all the bad stuff that happened to you before and if that’s not bad enough, Magneto is in on this and he is suppose to be on our side…”





“Kid…”





“But he is the one mutant that has the power to hurt you.”





“Marie, listen to me. Carefully. I will be fine. You will be fine. We will all come out of this.”





“How do you know that?”





“I just know it.”





“Logan…” Her eyes were wet with tears.





“Have I let ya down yet, Marie?”





“No. Never.”





“Do you believe me when I give my word?”





“Always.” She offered him that brilliant smile.





“Well, before you ask this time, I’m gonna promise, Marie. I promise you, I will be fine, at the end of all this and so will you, darlin’.”





“That’s a big promise.”





“It is.”





“I’m holding you to it.”





He smiled. “You had better.”





Their eyes held, and as always, with them, a simple look could convey more than words.





Lifting her hand to her lips, she pressed a kiss to her gloved fingers and then touched them to his mouth.





“Come back for this, Logan. Come back for me.”





“I promise.”





“I believe you.”





He laid down and she stretched out beside him, her head on his chest, his hand in her hair, each of them taking solace in the peace they had found in one another, knowing the dawn would bring more horrors, but for now, she was with him and he was with hers and that was all that mattered.





The End