Story Notes:
I know this has been done many, many times by many talented writers, but I had to do my own take on it, to join the club, and because I *still* get tears in my eyes every time I watch the movie and see that scene. How anyone can see the look on Logan’s face and not believe he belongs with Marie is beyond me…some people just can’t face what is *so* obvious.
He paused at the door to look back at her, half smiling to himself to see that she was smiling as she played a game with the Ice Kid, the one that reminded him of some sort of Scooter Clone. He reeked of honor and good intentions, which was just the thing that Marie needed, or so he told himself as he sighed, knowing he was a bastard for looking at her longingly while a voice inside his head that sounded suspiciously like his own steadily screamed *mine* over and over. She was just a kid, an eighteen year old girl he couldn’t touch without nearly dying…she was an eighteen year old kid he had no right *wanting* to touch, but the desire was there and that desire had played a key factor in his decision to head north right away.





In the med lab, when he had first started to come around, his senses had been nearly overwhelmed by the unmistaken Marie Scent, indicating to him that she had been at his side so recently that for a moment, he had foolishly hoped it was her small hands that had been running of his body.





Instead, he had found Jean.





Jean that he should have wanted, should have desired.





Jean that really left him could, because red hair didn’t compare to brown.





Cursing himself a fool, he turned to leave, reminding himself it was for the best.





Then he heard her running towards him and when he looked back, her eyes were wide and beautiful and he nearly lost all resolve to stay away.





“You running again?”





God help him, but that voice, that sweet, soft, southern accented voice could tug at his heart and make him rock hard with desire all at once.





Who would have ever thought that would be possible?





“Not really. Just headed north to check some stuff out.”





She nodded at that, knowing what he meant, understanding better than anyone, not only because she had him in her head, but because she was the first person in his life who had ever cared to understand him.





He stroked a gloved finger over the white streak in her hair.





“I kind of like it.”





He did too. Too much.





Damn.





“Logan…thank you.”





“You don’t have to thank me, kid.”





“Actually, I kind of do. I mean, you *did* save my life. Again.”





“Anytime, kid.”





She smiled at that. “That’s a hell of an offer.”





“It’s one I’d make to only you.”





Her eyes found his and held. “I don’t want you to go.”





He didn’t want to go…he wanted to stay…he wanted to pull her into his arms and hold on for dear life.





Unhooking the tags from his neck, he pressed the only key he had to his past into her hands and closed her gloved fingers around it.





“I’ll be back for this.”





Again, their eyes locked and she smiled, the message clear, the words that he had said alluding to the words he couldn’t yet say.





I’ll be back for this meant I’ll be back for you.





He had made her yet another promise and she knew all too well that when Logan made her a promise he kept it and that knowledge warmed her, even as she watched him walk out the door, knowing in her heart and soul that he *would* walk back in it some day soon.





He would be back.





For his tags.





For her.





And she would be waiting.





The End