Story Notes:
This song is by Garth Brooks. I am not sure who wrote it, but it is yet another song that makes me think about Logan coming to terms with all he feels for Marie. If you’ve heard the song, you understand and if you haven’t you need to hear it and just a bit of a warning, the video for the song will have you reaching for the tissues, but I promise, this fic will have a happy ending.
We call them cool
Those hearts that have no scars to show
The ones that never do let go
And risk the tables being turned

We call them fools
Who have to dance within the flame
Who chance the sorrow and the shame
That always comes with getting burned

But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

We call them strong
Those who can face this world alone
Who seem to get by on their own
Those who will never take the fall

We call them weak
Who are unable to resist
The slightest chance love might exist
And for that forsake it all

They're so hell-bent on giving ,walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

Standing outside the fire
Standing outside the fire
Life is not tried, it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire

There's this love that is burning
Deep in my soul
Constantly yearning to get out of control
Wanting to fly higher and higher
I can't abide
Standing outside the fire

Standing outside the fire
Standing outside the fire
Life is not tried, it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire

Standing outside the fire
Standing outside the fire
Life is not tried, it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire



Living at Chuck’s was like being trapped in a fucking soap opera. Every damn day had a new twist waiting to be revealed…the little duo that Marie hung out with yammered all the time about who wanted who and who loved who and who needed to get their head out of their ass and realize they were in love.





Shit, it could drive a sane man crazy and since I ain’t anywhere near sane to begin with you can only imagine that the never ending drama could get so annoying that even Scooter was tolerable.





And that fucking says a lot.





Anyway, it was daily.





Bobby wants Marie but Kitty wants Bobby and John wants Kitty but Jubes wants John and Jean and Scott are a couple, but Ro has always had a thing for Scooter and Kurt is in love with Ro.





See what I mean.





It ain’t just the kids, it’s the fucking adults too.





Fucking love tangles every fucking where you looked.





But not me.





Nope.





The Wolverine don’t get caught up in that shit, thanks very much.





The Wolverine don’t need no one.





Well, expect for Marie, but that was different.





Marie was Marie. She was a kid. She was my buddy.





Then she was twenty one and stronger than me cause of her encounter with Carol and she could control her skin.





And she looked like walking sin in that leather uniform.





So I acknowledge, Marie grew up.





Marie got hot.





But she was still my buddy Marie and I was still The Wolverine.





Then it happened.





**He** came strutting into the mansion with that fucking fake accent and talking in the third person and flattering Marie and making her laugh.





My first thought was, it ain’t his fucking job to make her laugh.





That’s my job. If Marie is sad, I cheer her up. If Marie is upset, I hold her.





Then Frenchy crossed a serious line.





He went and fucking asked Marie out. On a date.





Oh, holy hell no. No way. Not happening. Not over my dead body and since I can’t easily be killed, I told Marie she was just fucking out of luck, cause I wasn’t gonna **let** her go on a date with Remy La Dickhead.





Looking back, might have been the wrong approach, cause Marie, she is a sweet girl, with that southern accent and those big brown eyes but when she gets pissed off, the saints in heaven, their knees start knocking.





Well, after I went and informed Marie that I wasn’t gonna **let** her go on a date she put her hands on that pretty hips of hers and she looked me right in the eyes and she said fuck you, Logan.





I told her to watch her mouth.





She laughed.





Then she let me have it.





She said, I love you more than life, Logan, and I have since the day I met you and I know I will go right on loving you for the rest of my life, but you are too much of a damn old chicken shit asshole to admit you love me to.





I tried to cut her off, but she wasn’t having it.





She went on, I know you think it’s silly, all the romance drama that goes on around here, but that is a little something called life and at some point, most everyone finds that they are in this position where they realize they love someone more than life and they realize they have two choices.





I said, what are the choices.





She says people can play it safe and lock the feelings inside and never let them out and never risk getting hurt or they can say fuck it and take a chance and confess what they are feeling and make a go at it with the one they love so much.





Then she says, a lot of people think they are strong if they can be alone and not need someone and those kinds of people, people like you, you see the rest of us as weak and foolish but I’ll be weak and foolish over strong and alone any day.





Her eyes got serious.





She said it’s gut check time, Logan.





Now or never.





You know you love me, Logan.





You know it scares you.





But I am scared too.





I am scared you won’t fight the fear and let yourself love me.





You got a choice, Logan.





You can play it cool and walk away or you can jump into the fire with me and risk

it all, because I really don’t think we will be risking that much.





We love one another.





What else matters?





She got quite after she asked that and I stood there for a second, thinking about all she had said…thinking about what my life had been before Marie and how I would sooner die than go back to a life without Marie.





The decision was easy.





I jumped right into the fire.





I told her she was right, I loved her, I had for a long time but I had been fighting it, but I wasn’t gonna fight it anymore.





No more standing outside the fire.





No more holding back.





No more being scared cause there was nothing to be scared of.





And needless to say, Marie never did go out with old Frenchy.





She married me.





And next month, she’s having my baby.





A baby that proves that jumping into fire known as love with Marie was the smartest thing The Wolverine has ever done.





Just wish I had done it even sooner.





The End