Author's Chapter Notes:
Bobby's in over his head, Logan gets his world skewed a little and he teaches Bobby what he has to live with every time he kills.
The stink of chemicals was overwhelming, smashed equipment littered the floor of the corridor, frost picked out objects in a few places. Where Bobby had stopped to check something, a piece of glass, a document. Walking side by side they checked each side door, each lab smashed beyond repair, documents destroyed, work that had taken years to produce, stolen. In every lab the hard drives of the computers were missing, this was a clean operation, thorough and professional. The smashing of equipment had been left to the goons who were still here. So who were using the F.O.H?

Laughter made them halt outside a lab, the next door up was occupied. They could hear the sound of men laughing and the small buzz of a cutter. Moving to either side of the open door they took a quick look inside.
Four men were holding down straps on a theatre table, the occupant of the table was half shaven, piles of blue/black fur were drifting to the floor. The occupant didn’t struggle, didn’t fight back just laid there. By the size of him he was at least six and a half feet in height, his musculature was heavy but not entirely human. Looking at the men stood around he found what he’d been looking for, Bobby.

He’d been strapped to a chair using the same ties as he’d found on Cyc, his face showed a huge bruise already forming. But at least one of them had a black palm print on their skin where he’d touched them. Smiling he looked over to Cyc, he nodded and held up four fingers, then three, then two, then one.

There were twelve men in all in the room the first blast from Cyc took out at least four. Watching as their faces turned from humour into shock as he ploughed into the room and into their bodies, slicing through them. Scattering the remains around the room with the ferocity of his actions. Not giving them enough time to draw the weapons they had at their waists, letting the animal free to kill, to tear, to destroy those who would kill him if given half a chance.
One man had a gun to Bobby’s head about to pull the trigger when Cyc blasted him through the wall, his power increased by his anger, some control lost by the actions that had prompted his fire.

The wall cracked and fell, a zigzag crack opened up along the ceiling, sending dust into the air. They had to leave before the whole place came down on top of them. Cyc checked on Bobby while he unstrapped the man on the table. He caught a look at his face and the features there, some human some animal. His eyes opened as he felt the straps being removed, they were amber and seemed to echo his own animal inside. “Come on, we’re leaving.” He held onto the fur that covered most of his skin and pulled him upright, the amber eyes swung around the devastation around him. Quickly moving over to Cyc and Bobby, he picked up the unconscious young man and ran out of the room toward the fire escape. He looked at Cyc and shrugged, hey talking could wait, they needed out of here and soon. His ears could pick up the strains the concrete structure was going through, listening to the grating of stone, feeling the ground shift under his feet as they ran toward safety.

Things were getting worse by the second, hearing walls exploding under the pressure of the floors above. His mind brought an image of Marie to the surface, her face smiling, eyes bright and full of mischief. Spurring him along the corridor, flinging open the door and pushing Cyc and the Doc ahead of him. Growling out in anger as they moved too slowly, he could hear the floors below them collapsing inward. Sending ripples through the ground, picking up on the vibrations that were echoing around the concrete stairwell. After what seemed like an age they burst through the top door and flew out of the double glass doors. He waved them toward the trailer, he had someone to pick up first.

The Sniper.

Reaching the evergreen patch he found him still huddled over himself. Using the strap he lifted the small mans weight easily and threw him over his shoulder, his groans of protest echoing in his ear.
“Shut up before I make it more permanent.”
Running over the tarmac surface he could hear the sound of an engine being fired. Cyc’s car exploded from the back of the trailer, Cyc sat behind the wheel looking for him. Reaching the car Logan threw the unconscious man in the back seat. Cyc watched as he bounced against the leather seats, as if he’d just dumped raw sewage in his seat well. “He’s our sniper, the one who tried to kill Xavier. Get him back alive, I’ve got Bobby to get us home I’ll bring the Beast back with me.” A deep baritone rumble made him turn, his eyes met a chest full of fur. “If that’s alright with you Doc?” A rich mellow voice washed over him.
“Of course, if you believe that this is the correct action I will happily come with you. Does the jet have some kind of medical facility on board?” The perfect syntax and calm demeanour took his breath away, it was true what the old saying said ‘Never judge a book by its cover’.

Cyc smiled as he saw him struggle to come to terms with the large mans intelligence. “Yeah there’s a small medi kit in the back.” He watched as the Doc moved Bobby from one meaty arm to the other, the muscle rippling under the skin. “Do me a favour Cyc, tell the Prof your okay. He’s been worried.” His gaze told him much more than his voice and Cyc smiled.
Tapping his skull he smiled, “Already done.”

Looking back at the squat building he saw dust and smoke begin to billow out of the doors. The acrid smell of burning plastic and wood reached his sensitive nose, turning to the Doc he spoke. “Time to go, before the neighbours realise we’ve been here.” Running away from the trailer and Cyc, they reached the jet in time to see Cyc reach the main road and blend into traffic.

Pointing a controller, stairs lowered and they got on board. Quickly flicking a switch inside, the stairs lifted and the jet cloaked itself from prying eyes. He could now help out and see what damage had been done to Bobby.

Walking to the rear of the jet the expert hands of the Doc’s were running over Bobby’s frame, his huge paws moving in delicate circles. Checking for breaks, looking for damage, eyes locked on the task, ignoring him completely. Still watching he opened a compartment and handed him the medi-kit, a huge hand took the box from him and made his own form feel small. Logan's eyes met the Doc’s and again he felt the pull of the animal inside him, the challenge of another Alpha Male.

Quashing it back down he concentrated on Bobby. Looking him over he could see a few scuffs on the tough leather, no holes though. Noticing the boot prints on his ribs he held down a snarl as he helped the Doc move him into a better position. Watching as he worked quickly and quietly, taping up the bruised ribs, looking at the bruises on his face and treating the shock of attack. After twenty minutes of treatment they both made him comfortable in the back, strapping him in safely. When he was secure they both walked back to the front of the jet, the Doc having to stoop, his bulk looking uncomfortably squashed in the cockpit.

Flicking the radio to life Logan made a call to the school, Ororo answered. The relief visible in her voice as they made arrangements for her to come and pick them up, she’d be about ten minutes with Kurt to help her. Flicking it off he turned to the huge bulk sat uncomfortably in the seat across from him.
“So what’s your story?”

The large amber eyes turned their stare into his own, looking for a trace of humour, of deceit, or mockery. They found nothing but curiosity, the animal beneath extending all its senses, remembering the scent mark of the new member, the look of the silhouette, the shape of the mind and the reactions he could expect from it. Logan could feel the same weighing up, the look of curiosity, obviously he knew something about him but he wanted to start the ball rolling.

Clearing his throat the Doc started, “Dr Hank McCoy at your service,” extending a large paw toward him. Taking it firmly he shook hands with him, “Logan. Cyc probably told you a bit about me, all bad probably.”
“No he hasn’t told me anything about you, all he did tell me was about the facilities at the school and the Professor. He mentioned the students and their educational needs, are you a teacher?” A huge grin spread across his face.
“Yeah you could say that, I keep the peace you could say. I teach them self defence and tactics, security.”

He watched as Hank reassessed him, seeing the process move across his face, mentally down shifting him. “I may not be great on books but my senses never lie, there’s more to life being a mutant today than knowing how many atoms there are in something.” Watching as Hank was about to ask him which object, was it solid or gaseous, frozen or liquid. Smiling he knew he’d got the measure of him for now, a born teacher, someone the kids would love to argue with. No wonder Xavier had sent Scott to pick him up. Looking out of the window of the jet he could see the reflection of the blue lights of the police and fire service.

Turning back to Hank he spoke, “What happened in there? Where did the F.O.H fit in with your lab?” At the mention of their name Hank’s eyes narrowed and his frame tightened up, noticing the change in his body the animal made itself ready for attack.
“Nothing, they had nothing to do with my research. Unknown to me the head of the facility was a member, he’d been collecting copies of my data and sending them to Washington. To god knows who or what department.” Anger started to show in Hank’s voice and frame he could feel the tension level rise in the jet. Watching as McCoy fought to control the anger, pushing it down, turning it into the control he needed. Turning his amber eyes to his, “I didn’t know what they were doing with my research until it was too late for me to stop it. They have my database of volunteers, the families with the mutant gene, the male carriers. I found that they’d been using my list to chemically sterilise them, thats why I contacted the Professor. He’d been present at my last public symposium and had approached me about funding further research into the mutant gene problem. When I found out I had to find someone with enough political strength and resources to help, the Professor was the first person who came to mind.”

The implications of what he’d said sank in, they were sterilising men who were the carriers of the mutant gene. But according to Xavier that was almost a third of the population, any man could carry the gene. His look must have given away what he was thinking because Hank spoke. “Yes I know, almost a third of men carry the mutant gene. They couldn’t possibly treat everyone, but if you could research the family lines.” Hank left the sentence hanging in the air, the implication heavy and unspoken.

Inside he knew why Stryker had been interested in this place now, why he’d wanted the place shut away from prying eyes. Bringing people in from all over the country, telling them that they had a rare problem that they could fix with one injection. Most people trust what the medical profession tells them, accept without question because they’re doctors. Feeling his knuckles beneath his gloves and the ridges of skin there, he knew the price of acceptance, of ignorance and it was too high. Looking out at the blue lights reflecting he hoped that they’d find the evidence and blow it wide open, although he doubted it would ever come to light.

******************************************************

Ororo arrived with Kurt a few minutes later, watching as Hank’s eyes widened at the sight of Kurt, assessing, measuring, detailing every movement he made. Something about the gaze troubled Logan, the cool indifference of his mind as it calculated the mutations needed to produce Kurt. Turning away from the cockpit he decided to go and sit with Bobby, at least he wouldn’t have to look at those eyes again. A memory fired in his head, a pair of eyes doing the same calculation, noting every detail, every piece of muscle, every sinew, every piece of him. No, he decided to give their new teacher a wide berth. Hank smelled okay but there was something he wasn’t saying, but he’d find out eventually.

Bobby was awake when he sat down, his eye swollen and already turning purple. The scent of witch hazel ripe in his nose, he smiled at the bright blue chip that pierced his gaze. “So what happened? I told you to keep out of trouble.” Bobby shifted in his seat, wincing as he moved bruised ribs.
“I followed the junk trail to the labs,” he unzipped his suit and pulled out two pieces of paper. “I was picking these up from a file when I was jumped. Well kicked really.” He winced as he remembered the force that sent him flying down the corridor. Taking the papers he saw his own name on the top ‘James Logan’. Looking at the sheets, eyes scanning the information, alluding to a family which have the same genetic markers as he had. That he could have family somewhere, not close family but family none the less. Holding the sheets in his hands he could feel Bobby’s eyes on him, watching for a reaction, hoping that he’d done something right.

“I know it isn’t much but maybe the Professor can try to track them down. You never know we might be related.” Bobby’s face was uncertain, his scent sour with trepidation. Had he upset him? Had he pushed a button too far? Looking into Bobby’s eyes he smiled. Folding the papers he tucked them back into his suit, “Why don’t you find out, you know I haven’t got the patience. Even if we aren’t we might find out a bit more about who I am and where I come from.” Watching as Bobby’s eyes widened as he realised the significance of the task he’d given him, the weapon he’d handed to him, one that could destroy him utterly, his past.

“I’ll try to find out as much as I can but it’s only a page of gene markers. I never got the chance to pick up the rest of the file. I was being used as a hockey puck at the time.” Watching as Bobby struggled to find a way to say thank you, a way to show him that he’d do his best to find out as much as he could.
“So what did you hear about the big guy?” Bobby moved his head and caught the bulk of Hank sat in the cockpit.
“Yeah they seemed very reluctant to do anything with him, I know they were going to take him upstairs after they’d shaved him. Maybe they were going to transport him with the car?” Scratching his face he looked at Ororo talking to Hank, watching as she laughed and touched the almost black fur that covered his body. Not noticing Kurt’s eyes as they traced her every touch, there could be trouble there.

“Maybe, but it seemed odd that he was there alone. Did you find out anything about the dorm on level six?” Bobby nodded.
“Yeah when they thought they’d put me out one of them asked should I be put back in the ward. They must have thought I came from upstairs, missed as they’d cleared the floor. They didn’t really know what to do with me so they were going to leave me down there, as well as Cyclops.”

The cold tone in his voice got his attention, the cold hint of indifference had crept in. As if he hadn’t mattered, that dying wasn’t something to worry about, that only his vengeance was. He caught the coldness in his eyes and decided to move him away from the subject.
“You did pretty good for a first time out, your still alive and you played possum to get more information. The first time I went out I got shot. I found out the hard way that I could heal real fast. Although I never made the same mistake again.” Bobby’s eyes found his and he could see the lesson sinking in, never approach alone. Wait or go back for help, don’t put your life at risk, not for any amount of information. Putting his hand on Bobby’s shoulder he sank and relaxed into his seat, feeling the jet move into the air, taking them home.

Closing his eyes as the sensation of weightlessness took all the tiredness from him, sending him a vision of Marie rushing to greet him. He’d survived again, another death avoided but another body count to balance it. He’d be glad when he could wash the blood from his skin, sometimes it felt as if he’d never come clean.

*******************************************************

Xavier was waiting with Cyclops when they touched down, their respective faces glad but tinged with something. Helping Bobby down the ramp seeing the look they gave the young x-man, he knew then what had happened. The sniper was dead. Deciding not to say anything he helped Bobby to the infirmary, passing the twin gazes of his tutors watching them re-evaluate him. Deciding that he’d get in first with Bobby, helping him to sit in a wheelchair he wheeled him toward the infirmary.
Leaving Xavier to greet his new teacher, listening to the small talk and strained tone of relief that they were safe. Looking down at the blond head underneath his chin, he wondered if they had enough to deal with already.

The doors opened quietly to the infirmary it’s softly lit the walls seemed to glow slightly to him, he’d woken up in this room too often for it not to be like a second bedroom. The tech was away doing something in another part of the complex, parking Bobby next to a bed he walked over and threw open the soft cover and motioned to him to get on it. Stiff and jerky Bobby moved onto the raised bed and began to remove the leather suit that had kept his ribs stable. “I’ll be back in a minute.” Walking away from him he looked around the corner and saw the corpse, wrapped up in a sheet he could smell the decay from where he was. It was something you never forget, the smell of a body.

Walking over he pulled the sheet away, the body naked under the sheet. A black bruise expanded from his midsection and threadwormed over his skin, an almost blue black mark was centred on his stomach. Bobby’s punch had wrought much more damage than he’d thought. Putting his fingers on the flesh he felt it give under them, it felt like a water balloon. Slick oil pushed up out of the skin as he put his gloved fingers on it, the smell recognisable instantly. The man’s own scent, Bobby had destroyed his skin completely and the tissues beneath it, frostbite in seconds then the slow death of being thawed out. As he scanned the corpse he wondered if he should’ve killed him when he’d had the chance, he’d never suffered from it but he’d seen many people die from frostbite over his time. It’s not a good way to go and Bobby could just reach out and do it anytime he liked.

Pulling the sheet back over he returned to him, seeing his wounds for the first time without the suits covering. A purple area covered his torso and back, a shoe print was visible on his skin, the ridges defined and raised. Taking a mental note of it he looked Bobby over, apart from the bruises he seemed to be in good shape. Time for him to face what he’d caused.
“Bobby, the guy we brought back,” he paused allowing him to get curious. He watched as Bobby reacted to the bait.
“Yeah, is he down here? Have you seen him? Is he awake yet? Has Cyclops managed to get anything out of him yet?” The bruises on his face making his speech a little stilted.

“He’s dead.” Watching as the information slid in, the man he’d chased after and stopped was dead. “He died from frostbite.” Bobby’s eye’s widened as he realised what had caused the man’s death. Opening his mouth to speak, “Before you start let me say something. You did what you thought was necessary to stop him, you let go of the control over them. That’s what killed him, not your powers. The control you lost killed him, nothing else.” He looked into the blue of his eyes and saw the ice melt inside. “Come on, you need to see him.”

Bobby stiffened up on the bed, hands gripping the edges of it, frost particles prickling out onto the fabric. He smelled his fear and growled. “If you're willing to kill a man, you’d better be willing to see the body afterward. Now get off that bed before I pull you off!” Squaring his shoulders to the bed he gripped the edge and made ready to throw it over with Bobby in it. Seeing the look in Logan's eyes and the animal just beneath the surface, watching him as the blood raced around his body, tense ready for a fight if need be.

Bobby slid off the edge and his bare feet slapped on the cool floor, putting his arm around Bobby’s shoulder he walked him round the corner. The smell of rotten skin was ripe in the air and hung in a curtain around the corpse. He could see him start to breathe through his mouth, the only thing that would do would leave a greasy feel to his mouth that would take hours to clear. Moving to the other side of the gurney folding his arms he nodded to the sheet. Bobby was pale, sweating and he wasn’t sure if he was going to hold his stomach together. “Take it off.”

Bobby looked at the sheet as if it were covered in cobra’s, his eye’s looked deep into his begging him to touch the sheet. “I’m not doing it, you killed him by losing control. This is how you get it back, where you see what happens when you do. People die and that’s not a pretty sight. If you lose *control*, people *die*.” Logan pointed to the sheet, “Now take it off before I *make* you do it.”
Fear bloomed in his eyes and his hand gripped the edge of the sheet. “All the way off Bobby, so you can see where you hit him.” Slowly he moved the sheet back over the body, revealing the damage wrought on the man’s body. Watching his eyes as they scanned the pale flesh, looking at the black traces of veins and arteries that had frozen and blocked. Revealing the large fist imprint on the midsection and the liquid look it had, bloated and almost over ripe.

Bobby’s fear and hatred of himself, of what he could do shone out. Tasting the fear in the air moved round to his side and pulled the sheet back over the body. “Do you understand what killed him?” Bobby just nodded, tears already falling from him. “You did what you had to, you just forgot that *personal* isn’t as important as *why*. You let anger get in the way and you lost it, it’s okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them.” Logan pulled Bobby round to look into him, the young eyes were full of pain and guilt, the death weighed heavy on him. He’d killed someone, he hadn’t thought about it when he’d done it. All he’d thought was that he’d deserved it, he’d tried to kill Rogue, tried to kill others who meant something to him. Watching the confusion run across his face, the pain in his eyes, feeling torn between his own anger and the loss of a life.

Pulling Bobby toward him he wrapped his arms round him, holding him. “It’s okay.” Bobby sobbed quietly into his shoulder as he spoke. “You never forget Bobby, you just don’t make the same mistake again. Revenge ain’t great is it?” His head moved slightly against him, moving back from him a little he looked into his eyes and saw the kid he knew surface again.
“We start training next week. Outside where if we have any accidents with ice it doesn’t really matter. I don’t think we need to see the Professor sliding down the corridors do we?” A quick flash of a smile erupted from Bobby, like the sun after a storm. “Come on lets find that medic and get you patched up properly.”

Moving him away from the gurney and back to his bed he wondered if he’d softened that wall between them. Marie was still waiting upstairs, he could feel her trepidation, her fear. After he’d settled Bobby he would go and find her, suddenly needing her arms around him to bring back some of his own warmth. Bobby shuffled back onto the bed and tucked himself back in, eyes a little red from crying but he could see a new understanding in them. That fighting wasn’t easy when you had a conscience, you do enough to keep yourself and those you love alive. Nothing more.

Patting Bobby on the shoulder and walked away as the medic walked up, before he left he turned back. “If you want any company, I’ll be on patrol later. Just so you know.” Seeing the relief flood over his face as he spoke, maybe it was time for another introduction. A nice one, involving an old bottle and two glasses. Smiling he left the infirmary, images of Marie playing on his mind.