Author's Chapter Notes:
Logan and Colossus go 'shopping' and Hank has a heart to heart with the resident bad ass Logan.
The place was crowded, people were bumping into him all the time and his temper wasn’t getting any better. Peiter had navigated them to the main shopping area where they’d been ambushed yesterday by the group of young men. It was a week to the twenty-fifth and the crowds were out in full force, it reminded him of the caribou, every single person consuming everything in their path. Leaving nothing behind but tracks and fertiliser to show they’d been here, Peiter broke him out of his thoughts as he pointed out one of the young men. He was only slightly built but the new coat he was wearing added to his bulk, making him seem like a puffball on legs. Peiter made to move but catching hold of his arm he just shook his head, they’d wait for the rest of them to arrive.

It was nearly eight thirty when the rest of the gang showed up, a mixed group of sizes shapes and colours. There were a couple of football players in there too if he wasn’t mistaken, their bodies already taking on the form of professionals. They watched their movements, seeing them eye up potential victims, seeing them latch onto a couple, out to have fun.

Following at a distance, pulling at the woman’s coat and scarf. Taunting the man until he turned around and was instantly surrounded by the gang. Using pack tactics they found the weak spot and exploited it, separating the man from his date, he’d left her vulnerable outside the circle for the rest of the gang to get at. One of the larger men draped his arm over the young woman and tried to bring her closer to him, she pushed out of his grip and lost her scarf in the struggle.

He’d seen enough to know what they were, they were children playing in the schoolyard. This was their territory and as such they thought they had the right to treat others badly. Well it was time for their lesson. Turning to Peiter he smiled and nodded and they set out into the crowd.
Locking his eyes on the largest, he barrelled into the young man, knocking his arm flying off the young woman and straight into their ring around the victim. The victims took the opportunity and grabbed it, they both forced their way clear and lost themselves in the crowds. He turned to the young hothead in the middle and smiled, holding out his hand to apologise.

“I’m sorry for that, my friend here was getting a little excited about seeing you again.” He looked round and met Peiter’s gaze, he had to give him credit the kid actually smiled before he realised who he was. The smile froze on his lips and the rest of the group had turned to see. To see if there was any fun to be had, with the two new toys that had walked in on their fun. Without a word the kid bolted leaving his friends unsure what to do, Peiter had already gone after him chasing him through the crowds leaving him with the other six. Logans smile didn’t reach his eyes as he looked around the group in front of him, they stank of fear and uncertainty which didn’t improve when he spoke.

“Right, who’s going to be first to tell me about last night?” Three of the smallest melted away into the crowds, leaving him with the footballers, who now seemed much more self assured and cocky. He could sense the change in the air, felt the change from predator to prey, they thought he was weak, a small old man with no strength.
Watching as they weighed him up by looking at his clothes, his hair and his boots, mentally calculating his worth and thinking they were worth more. Looking around the atrium he could see Peiter had his boy near the doors, locked in an arm lock and he was taking him outside to the truck. Seeing himself as others were around him, surrounded by three large young men, not shopping or smiling deciding that it might be better to take this outside. Away from the crowds and into the car park, where there would be space to manoeuvre. He backed away from the young men and just winked, showing his teeth as he smiled.

“We got what we came for boys, go back to bothering the normals eh?” He could smell their confusion and heard the intake of breath as they worked out they’d been tricked, fooled into their own plan of divide and conquer. Laughing at their stupidity, he walked toward the doors, listening to their barely restrained voices. Weaving through the crowds he made the doors in record time, pushing through them into the cold night air. Feeling the wind strip all the false scents and sounds from his senses, feeling free to do what needed to be done. He could see Peiter with his prize, the kid was pleading, could hear every word as he walked over.

*****************************************************

Scenting the fear that was rising off the kid, allowing the animal to feed from it, letting it’s bestial nature free to wallow in the adrenaline. Tightening his fists as the blades slid out, feeling the almost sexual release of them, sensing the fear that hitched up a notch as he brought them up into the half-light of the car park. Light sparkling off the edges, reflecting in the kids wide eyes as he watched them being brought up under his chin. Peiter holding him steady, there was no chance of him moving onto the blades. If he kept still all he’d have were memories of a dark night in a car park, if he struggled it’d be his last.

The kids eyes were huge as he looked into their depths, washed out and frightened. He knew he’d been abandoned by his friends, left to whatever they were. Peiter tapped his shoulder just as he was going to ask who had paid him. Moving his eyes away from the man in front he met Peiter’s gaze, “They're coming over, at least seven of them.”
“Men or boys?”
“Definitely men, some have armbands.” As the words filtered through to the animal underneath he smiled, they didn’t even have to leave the mall to find the goons who’d made Damask’s first trip out a misery. Tonight was getting better all the time.

He freed Peiter to move by taking the kid out of his hands, hearing the voices of his friends the kid began to smile again, sending his scent blooming out to his nose, gaining confidence with each new voice he heard. “You're gonna be sorry now old man, Dan’s gonna hurt ya.” The tone grated across taught nerves, bringing his blades upward ever so slightly, pricking the skin and making him bleed down his throat. The sensation silenced any other comments and brought back the stench of fear so strong that it covered everything.

“Three to your right, two directly behind and four to the left. They don’t look armed,” it was time to face the welcoming committee. Drawing his hand back from his throat, pulling in the blades he gave the kid a good solid punch under the chin. He dropped like a sack, pooling around his boots. Stepping around the body he turned to face the group that were approaching quickly now that they’d seen their friend fall to the cold ground. He met Peiter’s gaze and saw the cold rage flare up in his eyes as he recognised some of the men from last night, nodding to him they both stepped into the coming crowd.

Peiter went right, coolly side stepping a telegraphed move and smashing his fist into the unprotected back of the attackers head, dropping him instantly. Two men went to pick up the body at their feet but a swift kick from a boot ended that idea, a bloody face went down next to the puffball coat and stayed there. The group on the left made a rush together, forcing Logan back against the truck door, feeling the punches land in his midsection, chest and head. Then the bright flash of steel as it pushed into his ribs, feeling the flesh part painfully as the blade grazed against the rib, deflecting it downward.

Seeing the grunt of triumph on the face of the man who did it as he pulled the knife out again. Seeing himself fall forward onto his knees as the tissue started to knit back together, letting him alone as they thought he’d been dealt with they turned to Peiter. He heard their taunts echo around his ears, fuelling the rage the animal needed. He heard the blade snap as they tried to stab him, Peiter’s mutation came in handy especially in fights. Pushing aside the wet cloth feeling the skin knit back together, growling deep in his chest he flew into the crowd around Peiter.

Punching and biting he put three down before they even knew what hit them, the others were more concerned with Peiter and his fists. Currently he was hammering down on a unprotected head, feeling the pressure of the blows raining down on the mans skull he wondered if he had a head made of stone. Peiter’s skin shone amber in the car park lights making him look like a statue come to life. Punching one in the spine and one in the back of the head they both dropped quickly, blacking out and settling into the snow. He could feel the rage burning off Peiter, he wanted to kill this man and he would if he didn’t stop him. Catching his arm as Peiter made to finish the job even he had a hard time just holding him still. Catching his eye and shaking his head he watched as Peiter unclenched his fist and let the man fall to the ground. “That’s enough, we’ve made our point. Now we take them to the police.” Peiter’s skin changed back and he looked at the heap in front of them.
“Why, they won’t believe us. They’ll believe them,” he gave a body at his feet a nudge. Smiling he answered.
“Yes they will, why do you think I parked here of all places. Look up.” On top of a light was an old video security camera, Peiter smiled as it sank in, they looked like friends on tape even the kid they’d brought out here.

That’s why he’d kept the blades unseen under the kids chin, on tape they just looked like they were talking and getting ready to go home when a group of men attacked them for no reason. “All we have to do is wait Peiter.” He could hear the sirens in the distance getting closer and closer. Moving away from the prone forms he leaned against the truck, lighting a cigar in the cold air. It had turned out to be a good day all in all. Even with Marie leaving for her holiday, Peiter smiled and just leaned back with him. Understanding how they’d managed to get all of the gang together by playing bait with one of their own. “When they question us which they will, all you have to say is that you came back to finish your shopping that they interrupted the other day. You brought me because I have the truck, seeing as they wrecked your own transport yesterday.” Winking as he said it they both began to laugh out loud, relieving the tension they both felt inside, making a memory that they’d both remember for years to come.

*******************************************************

It took four hours of statements and cross-questioning to get the police to accept their story, that they’d been the hurt parties. They’d been the ones who’d been attacked first, that they’d only been back to finish the shopping that had been interrupted yesterday. A quick trip to the school and the look of surprise on the cops faces as they’d seen the damage wrought to the van. Photographs were taken, more statements from Damask and Jubilee who exaggerated everything but made it sound even worse than it had been. Even Bobby showed up and had his bruises photographed and statement taken. The men were in custody and they’d be back later to sort out the details of the fight later. Seeing as they had the video from the Mall parking lot there wasn’t much they could do but admit it.

Their vehicles were searched and paint from the school van was found on them, as were several unregistered guns. After they’d left with all the evidence they needed from them and the vehicles, he doubted they’d be back. Not until after Christmas anyway, especially as the court system seemed to grind to a halt over the holidays. They’d all be cooling their heels in the local jail for the holidays.

Scott had been present for the interviews and he’d put his own spin on the proceedings. That he was going to sue if the case wasn’t given priority, seeing as the attack was on minors who weren’t even seen by the police until this other incident. They should have been seen the same night but he’d been told to let them come in the next week or so and they had been attacked again by the same group of people. He’d wrapped it up in words that he himself wasn’t too sure of and neither was the beat cop. He’d been flustered enough by his surroundings and the smooth professional manner of the man in front of him to make him worry and get annoyed. He wouldn’t show it to Scott but the guy’s who’d caused all the trouble would be having a hard time later. After the police had left Scott had grabbed them both.

“What do you think you were doing?! You could have gotten yourselves killed!” He looked at Peiter and saw cold Russian indifference staring back at him. Sighing at Scott’s over reaction he spoke.
“I wouldn’t have allowed it to get that far Cyc, you know that. What you rather have happened, for Peiter to go down there alone like he was going to last night and maybe kill someone? That’s how he felt, hell that’s how *I* felt last night when I saw them come back and I’m not as controlled as he is!”

Scott looked at them both, knowing that it could have gone wrong, that they could’ve been killed but it didn’t. They’d been smart, used the territory to their advantage, made themselves out to be the victims and the police had bought it, this time.
“You put the school at risk Logan! You put the kids at risk, that’s what I’m angry at. You didn’t think about the consequences for the people here. Jesus Logan its Christmas and the kids are going to need to go out to the town, you could have made things worse for them not better!”

He tried to keep the growl out of his voice, tried to keep the animal under control as it rose to the surface. He’d been through the wringer today and now he was being chewed out for it, for protecting the school, the one place the kids needed to feel safe in. He couldn’t hear what Scott was saying all he could hear was the blood pounding in his head and the feeling of weight in his hands, the itch of the blades underneath the thin layer of skin. Oh how easy it would be to just shut him up with a slice, one upward thrust and he’d shut that mouth for him permanently. The silence reached him and he focussed on Scott again, he’d stopped talking and was listening to Peiter. His face still showed anger but as he caught and understood what Peiter was saying to Scott he walked away, better for both of them if he did.

He needed some rest, some sleep, some beer and some food. It had been a long day and underneath he had the knowledge that Marie wasn’t here to help him calm down, wasn’t here to touch him, wasn’t here to hold him and tell him he did the right thing. By acting like an animal he’d saved the kids from losing another piece of being a kid, he showed them that they weren’t weak they couldn’t come and pick on them when they thought no one was watching. He’d done his job just as Xavier had asked him to and damn what Scott thought. His claws fired on reflex and he plunged them into a door, the feel of release as he slammed into the solid frame was almost sexual. Relieving the pressure in his body for a moment, allowing him to breathe through the rage, through the animal that was raging under the surface.

Maybe it was fate that led him to the kitchen, to see Hank sat there hunched over a bowl of chilli eating slowly and reading a book propped up on the counter top. He lifted his head as he walked into the kitchen, his amber eyes meeting his and triggering the animal again.
“Any left?” he asked looking at the bowl in Hanks hands. Nodding at the stove where a pot still steamed with the remains of dinner for twenty, feeling the saliva slip down his throat as he smelled the beef resting his hand on the spoon.

“Who made it?” Looking into the brown mass and filling his nose full of the wonderful aroma. Hank put down his spoon and looked at him straight in the eye, “I did. Why?” Nodding to himself he reached for a bowl and began ladling out his dinner. Hank watched him fill the bowl to the brim, licking the remnants off the ladle and put it in the sink. “Hungry?” Hank asked as he walked to the table already eating the chilli in large bites. Seating himself across from Hank he allowed him to watch him eat, well eat was an understatement. To eat you have to taste the food you put in your mouth, he was too hungry to taste, just shovelled.

Hank watched in a kind of detached horror as the bowl diminished in size until there was nothing left but the juices. Scanning round he noticed the breadboard and pulled the rest of the loaf toward him. The remains were mopped up without mercy leaving the bowl almost as clean as it came out of the cupboard. Feeling better he stretched himself back in the chair and felt himself unwind for the first time that day. Hank was still staring at him. “What? Did I drop some on me?”
“I’d hate to get between you and your food Logan, I don’t know if I’d come out alive.” The small joke at his behaviour made him sting a little but it was true. He hadn’t eaten since lunch and he’d been all over the place since then.

The sight of the dinner dishes reminded him of his challenge, looking round and seeing the chore rosta on the wall he looked for Jubilee’s name. She was there, on sink duty but the dishes were still here and there was no sign of Jubilee. “Where’s Jubilee, she’s on dish duty tonight isn’t she?” Hank looked up from his book.
“She took a call around half an hour ago, from Kitty.” The words sank in as Hank had spoken them. Marie was going to call when she got there and he’d been out with Peiter sorting the small shopping problem. Pushing himself away from the table he picked up the phone in the kitchen and patched himself through to the dorm. It took three rings before someone answered and put Jubilee on. “Jubilee, we have a contest to start soon, you’d better get yourself downstairs and get the kitchen clean before I tell Cyc you skipped your duties tonight.” He could hear her mind working it out, if she left the conversation now she could get the kitchen sorted and clean before Cyclops came down to judge. If she didn’t she’d be on dish duty for the rest of the month. Sighing she answered.

“Okay you win, I’ll be down in second. Oh by the way Rogue is on the line waiting for you.” Her voice sounded nonchalant but he knew she was hoping to listen in on the conversation, “Fine patch her through Jubilee, you know how to do it. Then hang up.” He deepened his voice just a little to get her attention and she patched him through after saying goodnight to both Kitty and Rogue. Hearing the click of her handset going down, waiting for Marie to speak. He listened to her breathing on the other end, soft, warm he could even smell her in the room with him even though she was on the other side of the country.
“Hey, how are you?” Her voice sounded tired, sleepy almost. Smiling into the receiver he answered.
“Fine now I know you are, did you get there okay? Kitty’s brother didn’t bother you did he?” She laughed lightly down the line, reminding him of rain on ferns in the forest. Her voice soothing his nerves, settling the animal underneath, knowing she was safe.

“No he was a complete gentleman, all the way to the cabin, well they say cabin but Logan it’s huge! There’s more room here than at home!” Listening to her talk he just let her voice wash over him, settling down on the counter top he listened to her tell him all about the flight down. The small problem with the baggage handler (who wouldn’t let her take her own case), the amount of snow they’d just ploughed through with Kitty’s parents in their Landrover. She’d just finished telling him that they’d had dinner when she finally realised that he hadn’t said anything for a while. “You still there Logan?”
“Yeah.”
“Well aren’t you going to say something?” Catching the note of concern hidden in her voice he answered.
“I miss you.” Not caring that Jubilee had just come in the kitchen, making enough noise with the dishes to wake the dead. He could hear her breathing on the other end of the line, could feel her thoughts even this far away from him.
“I’ll be back soon, it’s only a week.” He knew what she wasn’t saying, the Marie in his head was saying it for him, she’d waited a year for him to come back. Just to come back and see him, not to have the relationship they had now, just to *see* him. She was going to be away for a week, eight days at the most. He felt like a spoiled child but he needed her here with him but he knew she needed this time. So he’d suck it up and be a man about it.

“What you got planned today then? Going out in the snow? Getting the Christmas tree?” Even he knew the light air he was putting on hadn’t convinced her but she didn’t let it show too much.
“We’re just settling in today, it’s been a long day for us all and we’re just having dinner and going to bed.” Behind her he heard Kitty say something to her that made her laugh. “Oh yeah tell Bobby to take pictures of the challenge tonight, Kitty wants to see the results by tomorrow. Don’t be too rough on her Logan, she did make a mistake.” He felt her smile down the line and he wrapped his mind around it, seeking the warmth and comfort he needed from her.
“Yeah I’ll be easy on her,” he heard Jubilee chuckle as she caught the phrase in the room. “But not that easy, a challenge is a challenge and I’ve just eaten chilli tonight. I always get a thirst after a good chilli.”

Turning he caught Jubilee looking at him in the reflection of the windows and she quickly finished wiping the dishes. Turning his attention back to the line he could hear her yawn.

“You’d better get some sleep, its nearly midnight here now. You know how you like to turn in early these days,” the smile crept over his body as he thought of the last few nights and mornings. Yes Marie did like to turn in early but not to sleep. He knew she’d caught his intention when he felt her stumble over her words.
“Well yeah, we do have to be up early tomorrow and I could do with the ‘sleep’.” He laughed down the line. “I love you Logan and I’ll be home soon.” Holding it as close to him as he could and as far away from others ears, he answered.
“Yeah I know, I love you too.”

Feeling a little awkward at revealing such emotion in the presence of others he waited till Marie hung up and stalked back to the table where Jubilee was stacking plates. She refused to look at him, even when he put his feet up on the table right next to the dishes. Hank was still reading his book and seemed to be engrossed totally within it. He decided to push his luck and he moved his boot against the edge of the dishes and gave them a slight nudge making them rattle. He had to hand it to her, she was very calm and almost didn’t look at him. But she did and he caught her scared look, she was frightened of him, of what she’d gotten herself into, the time of night and her own fears of what she might say or do.

Deciding to put her out of her misery he dropped his feet from the table and grinned. “Jubilee are you doing anything tomorrow evening?” She paused with the last dish in her hand, weighing it up gently before she returned it to its place in the cupboard. Her face showed lots of curiosity and her scent was signalling a slight sense of dread.
“Nothing after class, why?”
“I need some supplies for our game. It wouldn’t be fair to do this half cocked now would it?” She weighed the new information in her mind, watching the emotions run across her face as she worked out what he was asking her to do. He was asking her to go *shopping* with him. If she refused he might bring back something so terrible that she’d just die of embarrassment. If she went with him she might be able to influence him, smiling, she accepted the invitation.
“Sure I’ll go with you. Where are we going?” Looking across to Hank who was still engrossed in his book to see if he was listening.
“Rosie’s. It’s a small little place just in the town, it’ll have everything we need for tomorrow night. I think we’ll just keep this shopping trip between us three though, I don’t want Cyc on my case again.”
“Sure Logan, not a problem. I’ll meet you down here after class.” With that she left for her room, looking relieved.

Catching Hanks eyes watching her as she walked away, swinging her hips as she bounced out of the room. Smiling at the glint he found in Hank’s eye he couldn’t let it pass without comment.
“I thought you were spoken for?” A flick of annoyance spread over Hanks features but softened as he realised the jest within it.
“That is correct,” as his fingers strayed to the brown hair that was intertwined with his own behind his ear. “But it does not mean I’m dead from the neck down. Sometimes teaching here can be a little bit of a struggle. Especially as I seem more receptive to the scents that seem to pervade the halls. I wonder sometimes if it would be easier to live in a cave somewhere.” The smile that ended up on his lips was borne from frustration, he understood exactly what he meant. He remembered his first few weeks here and decided to share something of how he coped with it.

“When I first stayed here it was summer, hot sweaty and full of hormones. Girls walking round half naked, young bodies everywhere and every single mind thinking the same damn thing.” Finding Hanks eye he noticed him put the book down and concentrate on his words. “It was all I could do to walk down the hallways without picking up some excited scent of someone or something. It almost drove me insane.” He didn’t mention the night he’d caught himself outside Maries room, about to open the door and walk in, room mates or no. He’d scented her desire for him all day and the animal had waited until he was too tired to resist any longer. He’d managed to walk away, to go prowl the hallways, till he’d bumped into Jean who’d been getting a fan for her and Scott. She’d read the desire there in him and had thought he’d been coming for her, part of him had wanted her but not the part that had mattered.