Author's Chapter Notes:
Logan gets a surprise present and an agreement is made between him and Hank over a huge problem.
He woke to the smell of bacon, the scent making him realise how much he’d missed over the last few days. There was church music on the radio and he realised it was Sunday, that meant it was the 21st, only four more days and she’d be home. Stretching himself in the chair he noticed the bed had been made and Jubilee was nowhere to be seen. Listening to the sounds coming out of the kitchen he heard Rosie’s deep throated laugh and a sharp squeal from Jubilee. Ah that’s where she was. His mind picked over the last nights events and the realisations he’d been made to face upto. He had been needed more than he’d ever thought, just by being there he’d made a difference to their lives.

Well, his stomach rumbled and the smell from the kitchen was making it hard to concentrate on anything else. Shuffling to the kitchen he was met by the sight of Jubilee trying to juggle juice, pancakes and a plate full of bacon to the small table. Quickly he caught the plate of bacon before it fell to the floor and put it down on the smooth Formica surface. Rosie smiled as her eye caught his and saw the save of the day. “Morning Logan.” His eyes met up with Rosie’s and he smiled, the warmth he felt reflected in his smile.
“Wow Logan that’s the first time I’ve ever seen you smile.” He turned his gaze to Jubilee and just winked as he plundered the plate of bacon and stuffed the still hot pieces of pork into his mouth. Licking the grease from his fingers he answered her.
“Just has to be the right person Jubilee at the right time and this morning at Rosie’s, bacon and the scent of good coffee is enough for now.”

Rosie nudged Jubilee and got her to sit down at the small table. The pile of pancakes was put down, with cheese, syrup and butter, even a small piece of steak left over from last night was put on the table. “Thanks Rosie, let me know what we owe you and I’ll settle up later.” She waved his comment away like an annoying wasp.
“Don’t be so damn stupid, you’ll have to dig us out this morning anyway. Call that payment enough. There’s enough snow around your truck to make a good sized snow slope, the phones are down but your mobile should be working, mine is."

He stopped halfway through a pancake and just stared at her. “What? You said I should get one and I did. The thing is damn handy, especially when I’m doing the cellar and can’t get back up the stairs.” Jubilee watched the banter between them both, Logan arguing that she needed more permanent help and her arguing she just needed a decent cellarman. One who wouldn’t rob her blind.
“Well there’s always a few kids at the school who need extra money. We don’t all save the world you know, some of us just want a normal life.”

Her comment cut through their discussion about her business and how she should be more careful with all the trouble that had been around lately. Rosie looked at Jubilee and weighed up the idea, if she did take on someone from the school they’d get the cash and she’d get someone who would be honest. Cellarwork was the one place you could make money if you knew how to cheat, but if she could train them up maybe she could have someone to leave the place to when the time came.

“Yeah I can see that honey,” her eyes weighing up the slight female figure in front of her. “Who would you have in mind?” He just kept quiet and finished the food in front of him, stealing pieces of bacon from Jubilee’s plate when she wasn’t watching. Jubilee mulled over the thought, who would she recommend? Peiter was definitely X-Men material as was Bobby but Carl might be upto the task. Quiet, resourceful, calm and his gift would be a bonus in this line of work, he was an empath picking up the emotions of others and soothing things before they got out of hand. He’d come to the rescue of several classmates after the raid, helping them to soothe their dreams and fears, what better than a barman in the town?

Thinking it over she answered.
“Carl.”
“Who’s Carl?” Logan's eyes pierced her through, looking for a clue of involvement. She caught it and sneered.
“It’s not like that Logan, he’s an Empath, he picks up feelings and helps you to calm them down. He’s been quite a help with the younger students over the last year, he even helped me out a couple of times. He’s about to leave the school and he doesn’t have anyone to go to, I’m sure if you talk to him he’d be interested in it. He likes it round here, he originally came from Ottawa I believe. But I’m sure you’ll like him Rosie.” She felt Logan bristle at her words, as if he was being challenged by a younger man for his wife. Rosie caught the wave of feeling and slapped his shoulder.

“Get down you old dog! You can’t tell me who I can hire and who I can’t.”
“But Rosie, you can’t just hire anyone anymore, the way things are going you have to be careful,” he never got to finish what he was saying.
“Now listen here Logan,” her voice had a steel edge and was directed straight for him. “I may not be the most capable of people but I do know a good offer when I hear one and if I want to hire this Carl then I damn well will. Having an Empath round here might be useful, having you around is good for business too, no-one fights anymore when they know you’re in here. It ain’t worth it but maybe this Carl could stop em even before they think it, now that’s all I’m going to say on it Logan and your not going to tell me what to do.” Her fist slammed down on the tabletop making the plates rattle, her face was red and her cheeks were almost scarlet. He looked up into her eyes and saw her defiance staring right back at him. She may be getting on in years but she was still in control of her life and she was damned if she was going to give in on stuff now.

“All I’m saying Rosie is that he’s a young man and you might want to check him out first. Not everyone’s as good a bed warmer as me.” The corners of his mouth were raised in a half smile and she caught the joke and laughed loud, filling the room with it’s rich sound. Jubilee just sat there not understanding what had happened, how the conversation had turned from polite and calm to serious and then back to humour. She just shook her head and turned to her plate noticing for the first time that half of it was missing.
“Hey did you steal my bacon?” She looked him square in the eye and saw him wink as he pushed out of the chair and shrugged on an old overcoat and picked up a shovel near the door.
“Yup, I need it more than you do. That is if you want to get home today Besides I thought you were a vegetarian?”

With that he just walked out the kitchen leaving Rosie laughing and Jubilee complaining about his eating habits. Today was going to be good, his belly was full, his heart was lighter than it had been in weeks and Rosie may have found someone she could rely on that wasn’t him. Hefting the shovel he unlocked the front door and was met by a wall of snow, plunging the sharp edge into the drift he got started, feeling the soft loose snow slide away. It wouldn’t take long and they’d be back home, maybe he’d come back later with this Carl and make sure Rosie was happy with the kid before he let him work here. He wouldn’t let her know what he was doing but he guessed she’d figure it out anyway, he cared about her and he didn’t want them to cause her trouble. If the F.O.H were in the neighbourhood she needed someone who could blend in, not make waves, look normal. Well it’d sort itself eventually but he just wanted to be sure she was making the right decision for her and the kid.

******************************************************

They arrived back at the road to the school at around 10am and saw the small snowplough coming down the road being driven by Peiter. He waved at them both and had a huge grin on his face, when the way was clear they all drove back home. Jubilee smiling at the brightness of the day and the amount of snow that had fallen last night. Parking the truck in the garage he was met by Kurt, his tail lashing from side to side as he picked up some of the bags of shopping out of the back. His nose caught an undercurrent coming from him and he looked at the little man as he struggled with the paper bags.

“You okay Kurt?” Catching his eye and noticing the small darker patch on his skin, a bruise. His bright eyes locked onto his and he felt the air change in the room, Jubilee picked up her bag and walked off with it, totally oblivious to the exchange that was happening in front of her. They both let her leave and he walked closer to Kurt, sensing the anger burning in the man in front of him. “What’s happened Kurt? How’d you get the shiner?” Kurt’s tail lashed the cool air, showing his emotions his head dropped away from his gaze and his tail dropped limply to the floor.
“It’s nothing Logan, nothing to worry about.” He could smell the lie all over him and he felt his body stiffen as he heard the heavy footsteps of Hank coming down the path to the garage. He picked up on the fear that Kurt tried to hide as he bamfed away with the groceries, leaving him with Hank picking up the other bags quietly. Hanks own emotions tightly controlled and his movements a little stiff, there was a fresh bandage on his hand that covered the palm. About the size of a bite mark. He put two and two together and got it confirmed when his eyes met Hanks, the guilt was plain for him to see and scent. Something had happened last night, something that he should have been here to stop.

“Okay, what happened last night? Kurt’s just gone as if his tail was on fire, what happened between you two?” His question was met by nearly open hostility, the control slipped from his grasp and he saw the Beast under the skin of Hank. Breathing slowly through his teeth, he felt the man gain control of himself again, felt his own instincts kick into gear as he watched the struggle in front of him. Breathing back under control he answered.
“We had a slight disagreement. That’s all Logan, it’s nothing to worry yourself about.”
“I’ll be the judge of that, I’m in charge of our security here and I need to know what’s going on. I get stuck in town for a night and I end up coming back to see two of the adults acting like adolescent boys. What happened, he look at you the wrong way?” Hank glared at him and he saw the effort it took to control his temper.
“No nothing like that, Kurt and Ororo have just announced their engagement.”

The sentence hit home, he’d seen the looks that Hank had given Ororo and now he’d been pushed out completely from that relationship. He wouldn’t even joke with her now, she was someone else’s and he was just an animal again. He almost touched him but the snarl that came from his throat made him think twice. “I’m sorry Logan I have to go.” He just dropped the bag on the garage floor and ran out of the garage, his tracks easy to follow in the fresh new snow. He watched as he went past the tree line and up into the hills behind the work site, he’d find him later he had food to put away first and Kurt to check on. Jubilee had returned to pick up more food and looked at what he was watching. “Where’s Dr McCoy going?” Her voice snapping him back to the now. He looked at her smiling face and the lightness in her eyes, he wasn’t going to burden her with this.
“He’s gone to find us a suitable tree for the rec room, time we got the tree don’t you think?” At hearing the news her eyes sparkled and she squeaked excitedly, picking up the bag Hank had dropped she grunted with the weight. As she shifted the bag to make it easier to carry she caught his eye and smiled devilishly.

“I know something you don’t, something wonderful.” He smiled as he listened to the news of Kurt and Ororo’s engagement through Jubilee’s eyes, they’d already told the Professor and the other students. She was bursting to tell him the extra piece of information that she alone knew. “I’m going to be a flower girl! At the wedding, I’m going to get to be in it!” Her voice had reached his threshold of pain now and she squeaked as she ran into the kitchen with the bag. Following after her his eyes met the sight of Ororo and Kurt holding each other. Love obvious in every touch and movement between them, coughing lightly he gained their attention.

“I understand congratulations are in order.” He saw the blush creep over her skin and the swing of Kurt’s tail sped up a little. “I should go away more often for the night if this is what happens. Maybe we’ll find the kids have all done their work chores for the day and are just slacking off.” Ororo met his gaze and laughed, its rich sound filling the room.
“Logan the kids are fine, they’ve been doing their assignments in the library and the rest of the day is theirs, what’s left of it.” With that she looked out of the window and watched the sky turn pink, even though it was only 12 noon. “After all Logan it is the solstice, the shortest day.” Kurt pulled Ororo closer to him and made her giggle.
“Ah yes but that means it’s the longest night too.” The meaning wasn’t lost on him and he laughed as he put the food away in the cupboards. Just as he’d finished loading one cupboard Ororo asked the question he knew she would.
“Where’s Hank?”

Jubilee answered before he did.“He’s gone to pick out a tree for the rec room. We’re decorating tonight!” Her face was lit by the thought of having a real tree indoors. “We always had a plastic one when I was younger, do they really smell all that good? I mean do you get bugs as well?” The thought of bugs suddenly made the idea of a plastic tree sound good. Ororo laughed.
“No child, the bugs are dead by this time of year.” He had to add his own little piece of humour to the whirlwind of thoughts going through her mind.
“Yeah but you’ve seen National Lampoon haven’t you? What if we get a squirrel?” Jubilee just stood there and looked shocked, the realisation that he was making fun of her slowly making its way across her features.

Laughing deeply as he saw her smile at him and threw a packet of chips at his head. “Hey next time make em plain okay?” as he threw the cheesy snack back at her. Pushing himself away from the cupboards he turned to Kurt and saw the relief in his eyes. He hadn’t told Ororo how he’d got the bruise and he wouldn’t either. Ororo noticed the lack of meat in the shopping and looked pointedly at Jubilee.
“Where’s the meat Jubilee?” Her tone seemed a little sharp and he butted in.

“I didn’t buy any, the meat was old, tough and wasn’t good. I’ll go get us a dinner today, what do you want? We still have deer out there, boar, turkey, what do you want me to bring back?” Ororo gave it some thought.
“Maybe we’ll try Boar and Turkey this year. That is if you can get them both Logan?” Smiling he let his claws slide out of his fists, bringing them up to his face.
“Of course I can, what kind of hunter would I be if I didn’t know where my quarry lived?” He smiled a wolfish grin and saw Ororo blush as she saw the hunger burn up in his gaze.

Seeing her squirm against Kurt he laughed and went to get a shower and into some fresh clothes. Then he had to go hunting something a little bigger than boar and he hoped he’d find him before something else did. They needed all the predators they had and he didn’t fancy having to track and kill an injured wolf or black bear.

Nadir
*****
The sun was low on the horizon when he finally caught up with Hank, his trail had been easy to follow, huge wide tracks, long strides that showed he used his hands as he ran. Almost on all fours as he went flat out across open ground, he found him resting under a huge pine, his clothes folded neatly under the overhang keeping them dry. Watching as the steam rose from his fur, listening to his breath, scenting his frustration, his rage.

Keeping himself low he moved closer, listening to the mans heartbeat and sensing that he knew he wasn’t alone but he didn’t trust his instincts as well as he should. He could see him put it down to the animals around him, allowing himself to relax again into the trunk of the pine. Moving quietly he crept up on him, being around three feet away before he spoke. “You‘re quite easy to track Hank, you might want to do something about that if you want privacy.”

Hank started and his eyes narrowed in the half light, taking in his form and relaxing back, making no effort to cover himself from his gaze. Using the opportunity he took in the full shape of Hank, from his thick muscled legs, sloping backward like an animals so his toes took the full weight of his body. To his large barrel chest and the huge shoulders that almost covered the trunk of the pine he was leaning against.
“What do you want Logan. I came out here to be alone, I don’t need nursemaiding. I’m fine.” The scent of annoyance was rich in the air, blending in with the sharp tone of the pine. Crouching down he answered.

“You don’t look fine. What happened Hank, why’d you hit him?” His amber eyes blazed their annoyance at him.
“Is that what he told you? That I hit him? Maybe I should’ve then he’d maybe realise not to play games with me.” Confused he looked at him, reading the scents coming off him. Guilt mixed with anger but also need as he remembered the night before.
“So tell me what happened.”
Hank shifted his bulk making the top of the pine sway as he made himself more comfortable on the pine needles under him.

“I was in the library putting books back after the last lesson and Kurt was putting up the last of the decorations on the walls. His tail kept brushing against my fur, I asked him to stop it and he just carried on. He rubbed all over my back Logan, he even wrapped it around my throat.” He could feel the heat rising off him as he remembered the feelings and the air was suddenly rich with musk, a heady scent mixed with the clean scent of the pine. Feeling his own animal rise to the scent in front of him, tightening his own control over the drive he could feel creeping up on him.

Locking eyes with him he saw Hank pick up on his own excitement and he carried on. “I lost it. All the months of keeping myself under control lost, I just grabbed him and he bit me.” His amber gaze boring into his as he realised that it wasn’t Ororo he’d been after, it had been Kurt. “Every time someone brushes past me Logan, every time I get touched. It’s like an exquisite torture Logan, I can’t get rid of it.”

He thought about it, every time he showered, every time the wind blew across his skin, every single hair on his body hardwired to his senses. No wonder he’d been so stand offish with everyone, always a little behind everyone else, he didn’t want them to touch him just in case. Kurt had just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Instinct was a bitch especially when you tried to reason with it.

So here he was out in the cold, trying to ease the frustration he felt but he knew he couldn’t until he did something about it. He’d have to find a way to deal with it, looking at his hands he saw the ridges and claws, the thick skin covering them making delicate sensation an impossibility. Hank caught his gaze and pulled his hands up for him to see better in the growing gloom. “Not exactly surgeons hands are they? I can feel sensation with them but its about half of normal.” The answer to his question being presented to him about why he hadn’t eased the pressure himself. “If I could I would, all it does is wind me up further. I don’t have the fine motor control I used to have.” The wry grin that covered his face never reached the sorrow in his eyes.
“What about…” he never got the chance to finish the question.
“Could you see the headlines? I could. ‘Local genetics expert caught in brothel raid, held for questioning along lines of 'animal abuse'.” Scenting his frustration as it wound up a notch at him being so close to him and breathing in his own distinctive scent, a mixture of excitement and curiosity.

“How long?” Hanks amber eyes hit his and he found himself seeing the need being spoken without it ever leaving his lips.
“About a year now. Nothing, I’d always concentrated on work. I thought it didn’t matter till six months ago, when I changed, when it all changed.” Huffing Hank laid his large hands on his knees and looked at Logan with barely disguised hunger, knowing that Logan himself had felt the same as this too many times before not to help. The first tear fell from his large eye as Logan touched his face. “I never meant to hurt him Logan, I just needed to touch someone, to be touched.”

Bringing himself closer to Hank he felt the large arms wrap themselves around his waist and pull him onto his knees. The cloud of pine scent blooming under his nose mixing with the warm musk of the body in front of him. Feeling his own excitement at being held so close, so tightly his hand running down the smooth blue/black fur of Hank's chest, feeling rather than hearing the rumble that came from Hank as his hand moved downward. Spreading his fingers wide, allowing the sensation he knew he was causing to widen out from his movements through the thick fur.

Feeling Hanks hips move upward unconsciously need overpowering his sense of thought, of propriety, just wanting the touch of another on him. Allowing him to find the release he’d needed for so long, the smooth touch of his fingers as he found his already rock hard erection.

Logan had to ask him, even though he knew the answer he had to ask. “Do you…” he never got to finish the question as Hanks mouth met his and he knew the time for questions had past. Grasping him tightly in his palm he could feel the smooth ridges and raised bumps on his shaft, the whole length was ridged. Any woman would love to feel this inside her, to feel the strength of it, the power as he bucked into his palm. Bracing himself against the tree he managed to tear his mouth away from Hank and take a breath, his eyes were on fire. The amber of them alive with it and he could hear his claws sink into the bark behind him, his other hand holding his neck. Feeling the claws sink into the skin, pricking him and feeling the welling of blood under the tips.

Feeling his own animal rise to events that were happening, feeling his own need begin to boil through his blood. To feel the fur on his skin to wrap himself around it to lose himself in it, growling he moved to Hank’s neck and bit down. Feeling the shudder that went through him as his teeth sliced through his skin, bringing blood to the surface of his fur. Speeding up his thrusts as he neared his peak, until he squeezed his palm tight, making him slow down, making it last. Lifting his head away from his neck he kissed Hank again, giving him a taste of his own blood in his mouth. Hanks rough tongue chased the taste round his mouth making him growl with his hunger for it.

Releasing him for a moment, he shrugged off his coat and shirt, straddling his thighs. Feeling the hard muscle bunch under his own as he took his weight easily, watching his eyes fill themselves on his own body. Feeling the rough pads of his fingers as they traced over him, wincing as the sharp claws dragged across his flesh, leaving trails that healed almost instantly. Just leaving the blood marks behind, which Hank moved to clean from his skin seeming to glow against the snow.

Watching the amber eyes as they traced each line of red as his tongue followed each one, its rough surface making his skin goose with its touch. The warm breath on him more erotic than he could have ever imagined, feeling the large canines brush past his chest making his heart speed ever faster and the ache in his groin all the harder. Taking Hanks large hand he pushed it against his own erection and reached for Hanks own that stood between his thighs. Leaning forward toward him, pushing his own groin into Hanks already straining erection, rubbing the length along the back of his own hand as it opened his trousers. Feeling the cold air on his sensitive skin he hissed as he felt the heat of Hank rub against him, as each little ridge and bump moved against his own smooth skin.

Feeling hard to keep in control of his instincts he growled harshly in Hanks face and watched as his eyes narrowed in response. Understanding the feelings that were raging through him, mirroring his own, locked together with each others hands wrapped around their respective erections. Moving as one, feeling each touch, each moment of friction, sliding against each other, gaining ground quickly, knowing they’d both follow the others movements. Relishing the feel of Hanks warm fur against him, the feel of his ridged penis and the warmth of his breath, the scent that seemed to fill him, surround him, smothering him. Feeling the familiar tickle of his own release he pulled Hank to him and kissed him, grinding against him as he felt himself come over Hank’s fur.

The scent bloomed and he felt Hank stiffen against him his hand sinking into the pine bark, listening to it tear away as Hank thrust against his body. Feeling the warm heat spill over his stomach and listening to the soft purr that was settling in his chest and reverberating through him. Hank pulled him closer to his chest, holding him tightly, feeling him rub himself against him, warming up his goosing skin. Hank moved his other arm down from the tree and wrapped it around his back, just holding him there, rumbling into his chest.

Feeling the tiredness slip through him and into Hank, as the sun slipped down under the horizon, starting the longest night of the year. Running his fingers through the blue black fur, wondering if this was a thing he’d want to do again, if he could.

Lifting his head he caught the half closed eyes of Hank and saw the smile etched on his lips. “Hey Hank, thinking of letting me go sometime this year?” Hank rumbled and opened his amber eyes to stare at him, the full realisation of what had just occurred hitting him square in the mind and seeing him recoil from it, as if it was something to be ashamed of. Quickly he let go of him, the cold rushing into places where moments before he’d been warm, held close to a warmth he really didn’t want to separated from. Pushing against his chest he pulled himself upright, walking a few yards he scooped up a handful of snow and brushed it across himself, cleaning his skin. Hank watched him, as if wondering what to do now, sat there with all his emotions running rampant, the moral issues and the consequences filling his mind.

“Don’t think Hank, just get dressed, its getting cold.” The large man took a handful of snow and rubbed himself down, wincing at the sharp ice that had formed on the crust. He shot him a look as if to say ‘you could have warned me’ and he just laughed. Bending to pick up his shirt and coat, Hank took hold of his arm and he looked him straight in the eye. Logan could see the man was having difficulty understanding what had happened, was trying to rationalise it but he couldn’t. Putting his hand on Hank's large cheek he tried to explain it for him in a way that he could understand.

“It all comes down to instinct Hank, you see what you want and you take it if you can. That’s all it is, it isn’t sex, it isn’t even *human*, it just *is*. Stop trying to make it something it isn’t, you needed I gave and you gave in return.”
“But you have…” he didn’t finish the sentence, he didn’t need to.
“Yeah I do, but she knows me Hank, I’d never let anything come between what we have, we’re each others but she knows me Hank, she understands my instincts. I will tell her about this and she’ll be off with you for a while till she comes to terms with it in the way I do. You were hurting Hank, if it hadn’t had been me who would it have been? One of the students, Ororo, Jubilee, Kurt? I’m the nearest thing to what you are Hank and you can’t hurt me, not physically anyway.”

Pulling his coat closed he looked at Hank as he dressed himself again, hiding the magnificent figure he was in shapeless clothes. “You know where to find me when it gets too much for you Hank or until you find someone who can cope with the rough.” His eyes flared at the mention of the feel of his penis, showing a little discomfort. “You’ve got to be comfortable with who you are first Hank, then everyone else will be.”
Hank knew he was telling him the truth of the matter, that he’d tried to deny the changes that had taken him over.

That he wasn’t the same man he’d been six months ago, he was the Beast and yet he had a mind too. Maybe he should try to mix the two, try to get the best of both worlds instead of running away from both. He looked at him stood in the snow, his self-assurance shining out of him like a light. That he could lie here in the snow with him, give him the release he’d needed for so long and not ask for anything but reciprocation and that he accepted it without question. No doubt, no self-hatred, just understanding of his needs and how to get them met. Xavier had been right he had a lot to learn from Logan.

Walking out into the failing light he caught up with him and spoke. “Where did you say I’d gone?”
His eyes twinkled catching the remainder of the light. “I told em you went to find a tree for the rec room. We’d better find one and bring it back. I’ve got to come back out later and get the Christmas dinner, Ororo wasn’t too happy at not finding any meat on the table when we unloaded the shopping.”

His smile lit up his face as they walked back to the school, about half way they found a suitable small spruce. It took a few pushes from Hank and the young tree came up root ball and all. Cocking his head to one side he weighed up the weight of the tree and looked at the barely sweating Hank.
“Hank do you know how strong you are?” The question seemed stupid but as he moved around to try and pick his end up he realised he couldn’t. Hank picked up the root ball and was only just beginning to sweat. “I think we need to get you to the gym and find out. I can’t even lift my end and I can push 250 on a normal day.” Smiling at the compliment Hank pulled the tree back across the open lawn and into the garage where Jubilee was just about to climb onto a snow-ski.

“Hey your back, we were getting worried. It’s nearly 4, you’ve been gone a long time, everything’s ready for the tree in the rec room.” Jubilee looked at him and his empty hands. “I thought you were going to get the Christmas dinner?” He looked at Hanks retreating form and smiled at her words.
“I will be Jube’s, a mans got to get the priorities right though hasn’t he? You wanted a good squirrel free tree and that’s what we found. Good tree’s take time.” He saw the calculating look she was giving him and knew she didn’t believe a word of it but she left the line of enquiry. Climbing off the snow-ski she walked over to him and her nose wrinkled up as she approached him.

“What is that smell? You smell like you fell in a skunk bath!” Pushing him away from her he laughed out loud as she retreated back into the school to watch the tree be placed and decorated. He scented Kurt just before he coughed to let him know he was there. “You know Kurt your scent is always stronger when you’re stressed out.” He turned to see the small man, his tail lashing the air in frustration and his eyes curious. “Next time Kurt when the man asks you to leave something alone do it. It’ll be safer for everyone.” He moved quickly from foot to foot, almost dancing in front of him.

“You’re not mad at me?”
“Why what else have you done?” The small man looked nervous for a second and then became calm. He had done something but what he couldn’t tell, the little man was very evasive at times. Kurt cleared his throat and moved closer to him, touching his coat and pulling his ear down to his mouth.
“There’s something waiting for you in your room, I was asked to go and pick it up for you. Ororo sent me to get it, after she got a call from Xavier. Something important.” He looked at the little man and saw the nerves he was trying to hide, whatever it was had shaken him and he wanted to find out exactly what this thing was.
“Thanks Kurt.”

Bolting from the garage he ran through the halls of the school, his mind wondering exactly what it could be. Why Ororo would risk sending Kurt out to get it whatever it was? It must be important to send him out into a storm front that hadn’t even left the state yet. Passing the rec room the room filled with the small crowd of pupils, all trying to get at the tree at once. Every hand holding a trinket or bauble they wanted to add the boughs.

Taking the stairs three at a time he caught a familiar scent, its richness pulling at his core but she wasn’t here, she was in Montana. A sudden unbidden vision came to mind, Marie ill or injured laying in the infirmary but why did Kurt tell him to go to his room? Finding the door slightly ajar he flung it wide, feeling his breath coming in gulps, fighting past the lump in his throat.

Marie was laid on his bed, her foot raised up on a pillow, her bag at the side of the bed. “Hi honey I’m home!” Her eyes were bright and she seemed okay as he raced over to her and hugged her tightly to him, breathing in her scent. The animal checking her out, matching the scent he had to the one in front of him now. It was her alright but why was she home? She caught his confusion and just pointed at her ankle. “It broke, so I’m back. I called home and asked if I could get someone to pick me up.”

He looked at the foot raised on the bed, the dressing around it didn’t look enough for a cast.
“But if you broke it, you should have a cast on it. Why haven’t you got one on yet?” She smiled and he caught a subtle shift in her scent. She played with his hair as she answered him.
“Well they couldn’t give me an x-ray so they just bound it up for now. Its only a hair line fracture so I thought I’d come home and let you wait on me hand and foot till it heals.” She smiled at him as he worked out all she’d need from him was a quick touch and she’d be better. “Oh there’s something else you need to know too,” she pulled off her glove and touched his face with her bare hands. The smooth skin on her fingertips exploring his sideburns, feeling the hairs roots, tickling him. Watching his face as she explored him.

“It happened when I was away, I had this really odd dream with someone in it, they showed me where the switch was in my head and how to use it. So I can touch you Logan. Whenever I want, whenever you want.” Her smile was almost lecherous as he struggled to compute all the information she’d just given him. He began to kiss her face, all over her forehead, touching her as if this was dream that he’d be made to wake up from.

Slowly something she’d said dawned on him, they hadn’t given her an x-ray, or they ‘couldn’t’ give her one. If they couldn’t that would mean that, she saw the realisation dawn on him and her eyes sparkled.
“Hey dad.” As she finally saw the information sink in and be processed into his head. He just sat there feeling so many things, so many questions, so many different emotions vying for attention she decided to speak for him. “They took a blood test, they always do these days apparently and I found out sat in the x-ray dept. I phoned the Prof first and he got Scott to radio here and Kurt brought me home. No-one else knows yet but you and the Prof.”

He watched her face as she calmly told him that she was going to have his child, ‘his’ child. He felt the floor go out from under him and he had to sit down on the bed, a thousand thoughts emptied through his mouth. Tripping over the words until he stopped making sense and Marie put her bare fingers to his lips quieting him. “Now take a breath and calm down. We have to discuss this Logan.” Her eyes filled with a quiet seriousness that he hadn’t seen before.

“Are we going to have this baby Logan? I mean I didn’t think it would happen so soon and I know we joked about having kids but we never really discussed it did we?”
He could see her trying to be the adult here, trying to understand if he said no and he wanted to wait, he could feel the turmoil inside her. Trying to be brave about it, she was young and she had all of her life ahead of her but he was old enough to cope with what she couldn’t. Rosie had reminded him of that and he just kissed her without her having to concentrate on keeping her gifts separate from him. Feeling her relax under his grip and just melt into him, knowing she was getting exactly what she wanted, what she’d needed. She was his and he was hers, she was pregnant and it was definitely his, definitely theirs. He’d always wondered if he’d ever left women with children but as he’d passed through places again and never seen them towing kids he’d just thought that he’d been unable to, till now.

Shuffling her forward, he got on the bed behind her, wrapping himself around her small form. They talked all night, about the future what had happened over the few days that she’d been away. About Hank and the incident with Kurt and what he’d done to rectify it. She hadn’t gotten into a state she’d just nodded and that told him that he’d have further discussions about this later but they had more important things to discuss.

When the dawn finally arrived Marie was half-asleep and he was holding her curled up form in his arms, her foot forgotten for the moment. He’d come through the winter, through the longest night and come out the other side, from here the days got longer. The sun got a bit higher and he began to think about what he had wrapped up in his lap and the little growing bundle she had under his nose. It looked like Rosie had been right all along, he was here to stay this time, he had something to stick around for. Settling down on his bed holding the one thing he knew that kept the darkness away he slept in first rays of the new sun. Painting his room walls a rich red a colour that no longer held such fear for him or jealousy.

Drifting off to sleep he never felt the hand drift across their heads as the thoughts of Jean left them laid together. Finding the peace he’d sought for so long in the arms of the one who’d really loved him from the day she’d found him. Moving with the warm wind she left, finding her way back to Muir Island, where Scott waited for her in bed.