Author's Chapter Notes:
Marie goes home with her new husband but the past needs to be dealt with before the furture can be addressed.
A few truths come to light and Logan gets to see where Marie gets her fire from.
“Well sugar, it’ll have to be a cold shower then because I’m snagging the bath. I’d almost forgotten how hot summer can be here, New York’s a long way north.” As Logan followed her swaying hips with his gaze, Logan noticed it wasn’t just New York that was pointed northward he was too.

It was as if Marie had been switched with someone else, she fitted here so completely, her movements had become more graceful more fluid. He was seeing her as she had been, before she’d left, becoming more scared the further north she went. Bringing her home was something he’d thought about but Logan knew she had to do it when she was ready. Marie was stood by the open door waiting for him, the air conditioning droning in his ears and the cool air making his skin goose. Seeing her new husbands discomfort in the heat Marie stroked Logan’s cheek and kissed him quickly.

“Come on lets get inside our room and settle down for the night, I’m beat and I could do with that bath.” There was a tension in her now they were inside the hotel and she needed reassurance.
“It’s okay Marie, we’re doing the right thing here. I know you need to know and I’ll be with you through every step.” Dropping their bags Logan held her to him and felt the small shudder pass through her. “Come on let’s get our room.” She lifted her head and her smile was back, she loved him and trusted him to keep her safe.

Quietly they checked in and settled down for the night, eating a small dinner and just letting the days events pass over them. Realising how much had changed with a few words and a signature, they were together in the eyes of the law now. He was tied to her by more than his heart and soul, she had him on paper. Although his last name on the certificate was Xavier as was Marie’s now but that didn’t matter, it tied things up for them both. Easing Marie’s fears that he’d leave again and Logan’s that she’d never marry him because she could do better. They fell asleep quickly and dozed wrapped in each others arms as the world outside carried on in the heated southern summer night.

Logan woke to the smell of coffee and bacon, seeing Marie stood by the phone a small hopeful smile on her face. Seeing that he was finally awake Marie sat down next to him, her hands wrapping around his waist. “Morning Sugar,” her accent had deepened just by spending a few hours here and it made him smile.
“Who’d you call?” Her eyes went over to the phone and she answered him with a nervous smile playing on her lips.
“My aunt, on my mothers side. She always was more open to the world and she’s going to phone my mom and dad and tell them to come round this afternoon. I wanted to get this over and done with, then we can enjoy the rest of our time together.” Her nerves were evident as she held him, her fingers were playing with the chain around her neck, reassuring herself that yesterday had been real. Bringing her head up to look at him Logan kissed her and felt her relax a little, his hand rubbing her belly and being rewarded by a small kick against his hand.
“See even the baby’s awake and raring to go,” Marie’s eyes were nervous and Logan knew how big a deal this was for them both. She was going back after years away and she was coming back pregnant and married. Not the most ideal way but it was something they both needed to do, to find out if they were welcome or not and if their baby would have grandparents. Sighing Marie got up and Logan followed her to the large breakfast waiting for him, smiling his encouragement Logan got started.

Inside he told himself he wouldn’t do anything to ruin her chances at having some kind of relationship with her family but if they put her or the baby in danger he’d kill them all without a second thought. Marie looked at him across the small table and found his hand, squeezing it as if she’d read his thoughts. “I know Logan, I know you’d never let them hurt me but I’ve got to try.” Looking at her hope-filled face Logan wondered if this was a good idea, she looked fragile as if it had finally hit her with what she was about to do. He’d protect her the best way he could even if it meant killing to get her away safely. Nodding to her open face and the bright smile that illuminated his vision Logan squashed his fears, Wolverine on the other hand kept his instincts sharp and honed for trouble. One of them would be right today, Logan hoped it would be him, but he doubted it.

*********************************************************

The house was a typical southern wooden veranda wrapped house, large windows and airy rooms to keep the air flowing. The garden was in full bloom and the grass was cut neatly round the flowerbeds, Marie just sat in the rental car for a few moments soaking it in. The house looked lived in and the paint was peeling from the veranda, the swing seat outside the windows looked well used. Logan had dressed in a light coloured shirt and jeans, his hair stuck in its usual unruly mess but Marie, Marie looked beautiful.

Every inch the southern beauty he’d known she was, as they’d walked out the to the car she’d attracted stares and a few smiles from women. The diamond on her hand had been noticed and she wore it over her sheer gloves, dressed in a long summer dress that covered most of her skin she sparkled as she walked. This was home and it would always be part of her no matter what happened today. She’d been quiet on the way apart from giving him directions to find the house, now they were here he wondered if this is what she really wanted. As if she’d heard him Marie undid her seatbelt and opened her door, Logan quickly followed and ran round to help her out.

Being pregnant was sometimes difficult and cars weren’t made for pregnancy. Watching the street Logan locked up the car and took Marie’s arm, walking toward the house they both heard the voices coming from the garden. Going up the small steps to the front door, Marie swallowed and straightened herself before ringing the bell. Logan stood right behind her, ready for anything, barely keeping his blades inside a small growl forcing its way out of his mouth making Marie smile as she heard it. Taking his hand in hers she waited for the door to open.

The woman was small but almost perfectly round, her hair was an odd colour of deep red and her glasses were propped on the top of her almost neon hair. She took in the sight of them both and quickly hugged Marie tightly making sure her skin was away from Marie’s face. Kissing her hands and taking a good long look at the ring on her finger, a smile breaking out across her face as she ushered them inside. She hadn’t said a word and she put her fingers to her lips, asking them for silence as they all heard Marie’s mother walk toward them, her voice echoing around the hallway.

“Who was that at the door?” Her eyes raising up to take in the sight of her daughter, dropping the plate she’d had in her hands to the floor. The shock registering on her whole frame as she just stood looking at her, Marie sending all sorts of signals to Logan confusing his senses until she spoke her voice shaky.
“Momma?” She moved forward a little, her hand splayed across her stomach and one gripping Logan’s own as if he was her lifeline. “It’s me Momma, Marie.” Logan watched the emotion run across her mother’s face, scented it too, happiness, joy, relief, grief, stress, need, everything wrapped up in her. Logan could see the woman struggling to move, wondering whether to run to Marie or to stay still, Logan nudged Marie closer and saw her mother break and run forward. Tears flooded both of them as Marie lost herself in her mothers arms, letting go of Logan’s hand suddenly feeling shut out as they held each other.

The sense of love echoing around the airy hallway, glancing at the small aunt stood to the side tears falling down her cheeks as he watched the two of them hold each other. Even with this display of love and relief Logan still felt on edge, there was something wrong and the look that came from her Aunt when Marie spoke confirmed it. “Where’s dad?” Her mother moved back a little and ran her hands down Marie’s arms, catching hold of her hands and gripping them tightly. Marie was quick on the uptake as she scented the anxiety radiating off her mother, “What is it? What’s happened?”

Her mother let go of her hands and ran out into the garden leaving Marie confused and angry. Turning to her Aunt Marie saw the pain etched on her face and she knew she was too late, he’d gone. As her aunt moved forward, Marie just felt the knife slip into her chest and twist, Logan beat her aunt to it and held her upright as the world slipped from under her feet. Her whispers quiet as Logan held her to him, “No, I can’t be too late. I just can’t be.” Logan looked at the aunt, her face was all emotion as she guided them into the kitchen. Past the broken plate and toward the large table, stacked with boxes and paper, guiding her into a chair Logan pulled another next to her. Marie’s voice was calm although her body was shaking with the effort to stay calm, her hands wrapped around her belly.

“What happened Sophie?” Logan’s attention was all on Marie and he gripped one of her hands, feeling her fingers intertwine with his and crush them tight. When she spoke her aunt’s voice was soft and gentle like summer rain.
“He left her. She woke up one morning to find him gone and nothing to tell her where. She thought he might have taken off after you but no he’d just gone, tired of being the ‘mutie’ father. Things weren’t good when you left Marie, I know Cody’s parents weren’t right in blaming everything on you but it was the only way they had to strike out at what had happened to them. They didn’t know he’d recover in a few weeks they thought he’d be gone forever. You left before they had a chance to apologise honey, when they did come round your father just took it personal. Soured everything, lost his job, the house.”

She looked at them both and Logan felt Marie’s breath hitch at the last comment. “It wasn’t your fault honey, there were things before you left. Your daddy never was one to let people get one over on him. Your momma’s been staying here for nearly a year now.” Marie’s eyes met her aunts and Logan could see the pain in her, the hurt that she’d been left out of it, been forgotten so easily.
“Do you know where he is?” her aunt dropped her gaze and both of them knew she did but they left that for later.
“She loves you Marie, she still prays for you in church every day. She never wanted to hurt you but when you ran she couldn’t follow you, didn’t know if you’d follow your map. She sent out some investigators and they managed to trace you to the Canadian border but that’s all she knew. When you called I almost died of shock, I’m thankful I managed to get to it first.”

Sophie’s gaze went out of the window to her mother who was sat in the lawn seat swinging in the sunshine. “She’s been unwell. Her heart they say but I think it’s just the hoping. She’s worn out waiting for news and hoping to see you and when you just turn up out of the blue heaven it’s bound to shock her a little.” Turning her gaze back to Logan and Marie Sophie continued, “Why don’t you go tell her the good news, tell her how you’ve been doing? I can see you’ve grown up fine and dandy; here with a good man on your arm and a ring that’d make Cresus jealous. Go tell her your real, she needs to hear it from you Marie, show her your real and not a dream. I’ll keep handsome here occupied.” Looking at the small woman and back to Marie he felt her shift and get up, her belly moving her forward as she rose.

“Marie? You sure you want to do this alone?” Logan looked for the fear he expected to see in her but there wasn’t any sign of it, she looked grown up, capable.
“No Logan, I’m fine. I’ve got to do this, time to show momma I’m all grown up now. I’m going to have a baby in a few weeks and I want her to know she’s always welcome to see her, that she has family who still want to care for her. Even if she doesn’t want it.”

Letting go of his hand Logan watched as Marie walked outside into the sunshine, head held high and her spirit strong. He was so proud of her, she looked indestructible then glowing with the sun as if she was part of it. Sophie’s voice snapping him back to her, “She’s a marvel ain’t she? Never thought I’d see her again, not like this anyway.” Her plain gaze snapped back to look at Logan, suddenly she was all steel and teeth, “So tell me when exactly did that ring find its way on her finger and why hasn’t she got a mark yet?” Logan sized up the woman in front of him and smiled this he could handle. Sitting back in his chair he met her gaze straight on and smiled warmly, his eyes boring into Sophie’s and he could see her blush rising as he didn’t move it. At least he knew where Marie got her blush from now.

“We were married yesterday but we’ve been together for nearly a year now. I found her in Canada, took her with me a ways.” Logan hesitated about telling her about the whole risking of her life and his stabbing of her but he carried on. “She ended up at a school for mutant kids, I helped her out for a while, got her settled. When I came back to check on her we kind of got together, but she’s been mine since I found her hiding in my truck.” Sophie’s gaze hardened as he realised how that might have sounded.

“Her skin still kills but she can control it the school taught her how and I waited for her to be ready. Hell she jumped me when I got back, had it planned out, she knew I loved her and she just waited for me to get back to show me.” Sophie had a smile on her face as she watched Logan struggle with his words.
“Well she never was one for missing out on the things she wanted, I remember the way she’d make sure she was first in line for everything. Food, love, anything. She was a little fighter before all this happened, she’s stronger than her momma that’s for sure.” Sophie’s gaze on the pair now seated on the lawn swing, hands wrapped round each other. “Caught herself a better husband too by the looks of it.” Logan got up and looked out of the window, seeing Marie holding her mother’s head to her shoulder and knowing Marie was being the strong one. Heart swelling with love and pride he turned to Sophie.

“Where is he?”
“HE lives down at the local Y.M.C.A, took to drink after he lost everything including his wife. He just gave up on them both. I see him from time to time, he comes sniffing round for money or just to hurt her. He doesn’t want her but he’ll make her life hell until she dies, he’s that kind of man. I don’t speak ill of many people but he’s the exception. The only good thing that’s come from him was Marie and even then he didn’t want her when she was born. Wanted a boy.”

There was something else she wasn’t telling him, he could feel it in the air something unsaid, Logan felt a growl ease out of his mouth it’s sound rumbling in the calm air of the room.
“There’s something else isn’t there? Something you’re not telling me.” Sophie turned to look at Logan, his features set and his eyes blazing, “She wants to see him so you’d better tell me so I can look after her. I won’t allow anyone to hurt her and if you hold something back from me that could get her hurt that means I come back to you.” The tone was all threat and Sophie gave a wan smile as his words sank in.
“You would wouldn’t you?” Logan nodded and Sophie sat down at the table her frame crushed from within as she spoke.

“I came home one night soon after she moved in, Ed had been round. He’d come to give her some money apparently but he left her with more than the cash.” Sophie’s cheeks blazed red as she spoke, her throat forcing the words out. “He beat her. Almost cost her, her right eye. I asked her to press charges but she said he’d never hurt her this bad before and that he didn’t mean it. He’d been upset about her spending more money to find Marie, upset she was here instead of the roach motel he had as a home for them both.”

The word ‘before’ sang out to Logan and he pushed out of the chair and looked at Marie, his body language clear for Sophie to read. Unclenching and clenching his hands were the only way of controlling his anger right now, inside Wolverine was howling for freedom, to destroy something, someone.
“Did he ever?”
“Hit Marie?” Logan turned to look at Sophie and he saw her shake her head. “No he never did hit her.” Her gaze rested a little too long on Logan’s own and he felt the cold dread slide through him. Quickly putting what Hank had told him one night together, that a mutation like Marie’s sometimes comes through trauma. From an event that the mind has drowned in the subconscious, something it couldn’t face. Seeing Sophie realise that he’d put it together she sighed, deep and cold.

“She doesn’t remember it, no one ever told her. She was six and it’s time someone knew; it’s been eating her momma alive ever since that day. She came to look after me, I had pneumonia and she was too young to risk exposing her to it. We don’t know what happened or when it happened but she was so different when we got back, withdrawn and afraid, didn’t want to be touched. I knew Ed had done something to her and I hit him. By God, I wish I’d had the strength to kill him back then, her momma didn’t believe it, couldn’t, wouldn't believe it. She knew he’d done something to her so we watched her, checked her every day for years until she was old enough to look after herself. He never went near her again, never even touched her only hugged her shoulders. When her mutation kicked off it brought everything back up, the whole sordid little episode. He knew what he’d done to trigger it and that he was responsible, you want to know why he left her momma? Guilt, plain and simple, never could face upto his actions that poor excuse of a man. If Marie wants to see him I’d be careful, real careful round him. He might look broken and old but he’s a crafty son of a bitch so you watch out for her you hear me? Or I’ll be back for you myself.”

Sophie was crying now, her face red and her eyes burning. Marie had been through more than she realised, her mutation might never have been switched on, if not for her father’s actions. If it hadn’t she wouldn’t have been in his trailer, he might have never met her, might still be drinking and fighting his way around Canada or worse been back in Stryker’s hands. It wasn’t something he could be thankful for but he was in a way because it had brought her to him and he’d make sure she found out about this when she was ready to.

“I’ll tell her.” His tone was even but his body was humming with tension, Sophie just looked at him reading him like he was an open book to her.
“Want a drink?” Logan speared her through with his anger and regretted it instantly as he saw her flinch.
“No. I could do with knowing where he is right now.”
“Well that would hurt her wouldn’t it if you went after him and she’d want to know exactly why your beating the tar our of him.” Her gaze was plain and Logan could see the sense of her words even if they did nothing to alleviate his anger. “I do have a tree stump that needs moving though if your feeling like you need to burn off some energy.” Forcing a grim smile Logan nodded and looked out of the window, both women were facing the kitchen and Marie was gesturing to the house, to him. Seeing his name mentioned he walked out into the sunlight hoping it would clear the darkness that had invaded his heart. His instincts had been right, things were going to get worse before they got better he just hoped Marie and the baby were upto it.

Logan could hear the conversation now, as Marie slipped off her right glove, seeing her mother move away a little until she explained she could control her skin. Watching the amazement run over her face as Marie touched her face, drawing her delicate fingers across the face she’d needed to see, to touch for years. Fresh tears flowed from both of them as Marie just held her mothers face cradled in her palm, Sophie’s voice cutting through the moment with its shock. “Well good goddamn, when did this happen?” Logan turned to see Sophie carrying a tray with tea and food stacked on it. Handing it over to Logan without a second look she just grabbed Marie and ran her hand down her cheek, her own voice becoming broken. “I never thought…”
“I know but things change, even when you least expect it.” Marie’s words echoing the sentiment they all felt. Logan felt uncomfortable and Marie’s mother noticed quickly taking the tray from him, her eyes met his and the woman tried to say something to him but it had been too much already.

Feeling an arm wrap around him Logan looked at Marie who had his body next to hers, smiling warmly at him, calming his anger and frustration somewhat. “Momma I want you to meet my husband, he’s been the world to me since he found me somewhere south of the arctic. This is Logan, the best thing that was ever born, made or created, he loves me momma and I love him just as much. And this little one,” Marie’s hand swept over her stomach protectively “Is ours. He didn’t force things momma and by the time he met me I’d nearly given up on everything, he gave me hope, love and he cared for me from the moment he saw me. There’s not many men that would do that momma, mutant or human.”

At the mention of the word mutant her eyes widened and Marie noticed, squeezing Logan a little tighter Marie continued. “I ain’t gonna lie momma, he’s like me, a mutant. His gifts are different but we’re okay and the baby’s normal. There’s been so many tests I can’t even begin to tell you but so far she’s healthy and growing fast.” Her mothers face was calming again and Sophie was pouring out tea when Logan suddenly had Marie’s mother in his arms. The relief flooding from her was something that he’d never expected, he’d expected something else, something a little more violent if truth be told. She just held onto him and whispered her thanks into his shirt, seeing Marie rub her mothers back with her bare hand and her mother just accepting it gave him hope. If she could take them being together and Sophie was all for it her father may not be such a burden after all.

After she’d let go Logan looked at her, her grey eyes were tired and her face was aged by life but underneath he could see the strong bones of Marie. She’d been beautiful once before life had crushed her, before a fracture had destroyed the symmetry of her face. Before her husband had beaten her half to death, the fact cooling Logan’s emotions and driving Wolverine to the surface again. A growl rumbled through him and Marie caught it, her face showing confusion when he pulled out of her grip and looked round for the tree stump. Seeing it in a corner of the garden he headed straight for it, he caught Marie’s “Logan? What’s wrong? Logan?”

He managed to shut it out, concentrating on the task at hand, he had to do something before his temper got the better of him. He heard Sophie call to Marie and the tearful excuses of her mother as she excused herself from the garden. The metallic ringing of his blades forcing themselves out of his hands concentrated his attention on the stump and finally he allowed Wolverine to express what he’d needed to. Knowing that they were watching him, the weight of Marie’s eyes never leaving his back as he tore the rotten wood to pieces.

He’d almost finished tearing the log out when he felt Marie’s shock go through him, the mental connection they had flooded open. Marie playing in sunshine, a shadowy hand coming down toward her and a pain that split everything apart. A male voice telling her to be quiet to be calm, then the smell of human musk deep and strong. Logan looked behind him, back up the garden, Sophie and Marie were sat on the veranda, Sophie was wrapped around Marie and the pale countenance that had covered over Marie’s skin made his stomach lurch.

Sweating under the heat of the day and work Logan ran back up the garden, claws still unsheathed, forgetting he wasn’t at home. Sophie saw him running, claws out and a murderous look across his face, her eyes grew wide and she gripped Marie tighter forcing her to look in his direction. Marie was up and out of her grip in seconds flinging herself into his arms, tears already falling her voice cracked and weak, “Logan…he, he…”.

Wrapping her up quickly in his hands as his claws drew back, his whole body humming with distress that Marie was hurting. Her voice sounding through him, “I don’t want to see him Logan, never again. I’ll kill him if I see him Logan I swear it. After what he’s done to us both he deserves it.” Her blotchy face found his and Logan felt the strength of her anger in him, she meant it if he came by here she’d kill him without a second thought. “I know now why my momma made me leave, I’ve got to talk to her Logan. Then I want to go *home*.”
“I thought you were.”
Marie shook her head some colour returning to her face and a steel returning to her body.
“No, this isn’t home anymore. Home’s on the south slope with a crib waiting to be filled. Home’s the one you built for us, not here in the heat, not anymore.” Her last few words as cold as Bobby.

She sent him a feeling of strength, showing him she was fine, underneath he knew she wasn’t, not yet. She’d need comforting later but this was something she had to face, the truth about her father who he really was and not the fuzzy pink daydreams she had of him. Reality was always worse than memory, he had first hand experience of that.
“Okay, we’ll go home tomorrow but I think you should spend some time talking to your mom. Sort this out as much as you can while you’re here.” Looking into her calm gaze Logan felt his pride soar as she understood what he was trying to tell her, that once this was done he’d never bring her back even if she begged him. He wouldn’t put her or their child at risk and he’d protect them both with everything he had, her mind filled with doubt. Logan catching her train of thought quickly stopped her.

“Hey, stop thinking about it, go and talk to her, find out what happened and we’ll deal with it later. At the moment no one’s sure exactly what happened Marie, just that something did, your mom was the one who put up with him and you need to know why. I love you, skin and all, don’t ever forget that.” Marie just hugged him tight as the baby kicked him in the stomach making him wince a little, drawing back he smiled and saw a flash of a smile go across her face. Kissing her forehead Logan released her and watched as she walked into the house, to confront her mother about her father. To get the truth at last, to finish the story she’d only had one part of. It’d be painful but it was something she needed to know as much as he’d needed to know he’d been a puppet of Stryker’s. His gaze fell on Sophie, she had her hands wrapped around her and her face was neutral as she spoke.

“I didn’t tell her. All I said was that her father still asks about her when he’s lucid enough,” her hands were playing with a vine and a small purple flower it’s scent heady in the heat. Looking at the plant Logan nodded to it.
“Did they have that when she was young?” Sophie looked at the flower and her face fell dropping the flower as if it was burning her fingers.
“Yes the garden was covered in it, Marie used to play…” the words petered out and Sophie swallowed the tears that were threatening to overwhelm her. Composing herself she faced him her eyes meeting his straight on. “I thought you were going to hurt me earlier when you ran up the garden, you looked so angry.” Her eyes dropped to his hands and the claws underneath them. Raising his hands Logan slowly released both sets of blades, seeing the curiosity fill her face as he turned them under her gaze. Marie had had the same look when he’d almost killed that redneck back in Laughlin.

“Does it hurt?” Logan laughed breaking the tense air around them both, Sophie looking confused as he laughed at her words. Finally he explained the whole thing, the reaction Marie had had to him and the words she’d used. Sophie settled down on the veranda leaving a space for him to join her, before he did so Logan concentrated on listening to the house. He could hear Marie’s voice asking her mother about her father and the emotion in it, opening the link between them Logan could feel her anger burning under her pain. That her mother had endured things she didn’t know about, that he’d beaten her, abused her over the years, finally leaving her when he’d drained all he could out of her. Sending a mental hug to her Logan felt her return it and settled down to watch the afternoon pass with Sophie, knowing that if he was needed she call him.

**********************************************************

The afternoon wore on into evening and the house creaked and groaned as the heat of the summer day left it, the smell of barbecue wafted over from the house behind and Logan’s stomach growled noisily. Sophie caught the sound and her face blanched, “Oh my, where are my manners! You’ve been here all day and I’ve only given you titbits! Can’t have a man like you starving on my porch I’d never live it down.” Logan cast his mind out to Marie, finding her sorting through memories, times when her mother was laid up in bed, supposedly ‘ill’ but in reality it was when her face was too bad to look at. Putting it together, her mothers ‘nerves’ her wincing movements around her hips, the look of fear when she went out with her dad. Everything adding up and making a scene she really didn’t want to face but it was the truth and she couldn’t hide from it anymore.

Sophie followed Logan’s face as she looked up toward the house. “She’ll be fine, Marie’s strong she takes after her grandame, now there was a woman men feared.” Smiling Sophie went into the kitchen, producing a photograph to show him, a smallish woman with a dark plait over her shoulder. Her eyes were staring straight out at the camera, her arms carrying a small baby in a pink blanket. “She fought to the end,” Sophie’s eyes met Logan’s own. “She died from stomach cancer, she held on to see Marie walk but she died soon afterward. She was a remarkable woman, raised seven kids without a husband, worked every hour she could. We never went hungry and we knew she loved us even when we acted like idiots.” Logan looked at the picture and saw the same steel in Marie’s own gaze. “She knew Ed was wrong for her, but she kept quiet figuring that he’d come round when the baby was born. Most men did but Ed ain’t most men. I’m just glad she died before things started or she’d have killed him.”

Logan looked up into her gaze and saw nothing but the truth there. “She’d have done it no question about it, any woman who had to slaughter pigs before winter alone could have done it and she’d done that for years.” A deep sigh came from Sophie and she stroked the surface of the picture, “I miss her.” Seeing Sophie’s eyes redden she quickly took the picture back and went into the kitchen her voice carrying out to him. “This ain’t getting anyone fed and she’d have a fit if she knew there was a hungry man in her kitchen with nothing in front of him.” Logan picked himself up and walked into the kitchen, his boots making the house sound out as he walked.
“Need help?” Sophie looked at him for a second then a smile erupted out of her silence that lit the kitchen, her eyes sparkling.

“Sure, there’s some stuff in the fridge you could get for me and there’s a ham in the pantry I need.” Nodding Logan turned to the large door that led to the pantry, Sophie’s hand pointing it out to him. Letting himself settle into the sound of the house settling around him, the weight of it sensing the struggle upstairs and the strength it’d take to get over the truth. Picking out the large plate with the ham on it Logan let his mind wander into Marie’s, letting her know she wasn’t alone.

**********************************************************

“Momma?” Marie looked at the woman in front of her, the tear tracks and white hairs somehow separating her from the woman she knew as ‘Mom’. Watching as her head turned to see her daughter, strong, confident, self-assured, she could relax now. She was safe.
“I never thought I’d see you again. Not alive anyway. You hear such stories about kids on the road, what happens to them and how they end up. I couldn’t follow you or I would have Marie, you must believe me. I wanted to oh God how I wanted to but Ed…” She didn’t finish the sentence, the gap enough to chill the air between them.

“Why? Why did you put up with it Momma? You always told me to stand up, fight my ground, never let any man touch me unless I wanted him to. Why couldn’t you do that for yourself?” Marie fought with the anger rising in her self as she felt Logan’s mind touch hers, he was there with her, showing her he loved her, was there for her if she needed him. The touch of him calming her mind and forcing her to look at her mother as an adult.

She’d been a young mother, with a man who was volatile, she had her friends and family around her, people who loved her and yet she’d stayed with him. Her own situation reared its head, she was with a man who some said wasn’t stable, could be a danger to her and the baby. Someone who had the weapons to prove it too, a mutant who couldn’t be harmed but she loved him, knew him inside and out. She’d seen all of him but her mother hadn’t been able to she’d just followed her heart like she had. Loving all of her father without question until it became too much for him to bear, leaving her mother a dried out husk of herself.

Her heart opened to her then and Marie just understood, “Momma we’re more alike than you know. Logan, well he’s different, even for a mutant, he’s been hurt a lot. He was experimented on by people in the government years ago and it’s left a few scars on him, in his mind.” Her mother’s eyes widened and Marie could sense her fear for her daughter. “It’s okay Momma, its like Rusty he has nightmares occasionally that’s all. When I’m around they seem to go away, I calm him and he calms me. It’s kind of odd, but we fit together you know, like we were looking for each other but we never knew it. He loves me with everything he is and he’d never hurt me, hell he’s touched me twice when I couldn’t control my skin.”

A question died on her mothers lips as Marie continued. “It’s not important now, what’s important is what happens now. You’re going to be a grandame in around two months time and I want you to know your welcome to visit us but I’m not coming back here again. I wanted to see you so much Momma, to tell you I was alright, but you never stuck up for me when dad said all those things to me. When he hated me for being what I am, what my baby is, it’s hard for me to understand why you let him do it to me.” Her mothers hand reached out and stroked her face, silent tears following the red lines down her face.

“Oh honey I had to let it happen, don’t you see? He drove you away from him thank God, I didn’t want him to hurt you again. If he couldn’t touch you he couldn’t hurt you, Cody’s family were pressing for charges to be filed against you but they didn’t know what to file them under.” Marie grabbed her mothers hands, feeling her grip almost crush her fingers. “I just didn’t want him to touch you Marie, not after the last time.” The memory resurfaced in her head and she felt Logan’s thoughts push it aside, he’d not allow her to do this now, she needed her family around her to support her when she did that. She couldn’t do it here, it was too raw.
“I know, I know.”
“Marie?” Her mothers face was almost pleading with her as she spoke, “Would you stay here tonight? I mean if you don’t mind I’d like to talk some more with you and Logan.” Seeing her mothers eyes warm with hope, Marie couldn’t deny her this small thing.
“Sure, as long as there’s room for us both.” Seeing her mother smile as she agreed made Marie’s heart settle a little, she just hoped Logan would agree. Sending him a thought about bed and the house she felt his warm reply, smiling she held her mother close and smelled the food cooking downstairs.

**********************************************************

He’d just finished laying the table when he felt the thought push through his mind, a bed, the house and her mother. Sending his feelings back he watched Sophie grilling the thick slices of ham, clearing his throat as she turned to plate up the greens and grits. “We’re staying the night by the looks of things.” Sophie just looked at him as if he’d told something she already knew.
“Really?” Logan just nodded and sat down at the table listening to the creaks of footsteps coming across the ceiling and down the stairs. He tapped the side of his skull to emphasise his point.
“Just got my orders.” Sophie watched the two women approach and saw Marie walk over to her husband, placing herself in his lap and kissing him gently. Her mother went to help with the plates as she spoke to Sophie.

“They’re staying with us tonight Sophie if that’s alright with you? I mean they can have the guest room if it’s big enough, if not I’ll move in for one night.” Sophie just shrugged and smiled as they both carried over the plates to the table.
“Sure sugar, anything for my favourite niece you know that. Just as long as I see the wedding certificate.” The humour in her eyes reaching them all and sending a small wave of laughter around the table, breaking the heavy air that had pervaded with Marie and her mother.

The meal passed well, everyone enjoying the taste of the food and the warmth of the conversation, even Logan finding himself drawn into the web of relations and friends and the news about them. After dinner Sophie washed and Marie dried as Logan and her mother talked at the table, she asked him how he’d found her, what had happened to her in the years since she’d run. He’d told her a little about the attack on the school, about her bravery about how they met, what had happened when he’d touched her the first time and why. Marie had had to calm them that she was fine and that Logan had healed her completely, still could if anything happened to her.

Marie sat on his lap as he described their home, the work it had taken and the plans he had for them both. Seeing their respective faces warm to him as he finished, knowing that whatever happened he’d be there for her, for her child as well. Marie had added her version of events too about his over possessiveness about her condition at first until she’d laid the law down to him. He felt his own blood pressure rise as they laughed in unison at the thought of him fussing over her. Marie smoothed his ruffled pride when she described the beautiful crib he’d made for their daughter, the time he’d spent on it, the love he’d put into every piece of the house. Seeing the love shining from her eyes and her skin made his heart soar, seeing her eyes beginning to drift closed realising how tired she must be Logan just lifted her straight up in his arms. Sophie looked at them both her face beaming out her approval. “Top of the stairs honey, first door on the right.”

Nodding to them both he carried her upstairs, his ears catching the conversation as he walked her upstairs. “See Mary, she came home with more than she left with and she’s found a man who loves her for what she is inside and out. That’s love right there in his eyes Mary and she’ll be safe. God answered your prayers honey and some.”

Listening to her mother’s answer Logan halted at the top of the stairs, “She’s lucky Sophie, always was. She’s grown so much, so fast. I trust him Sophie, I really do, she loves him, she needs him and I saw that when she looked at him in the garden. She doesn’t need me anymore, she’s happy with him.” He heard the sobbing and the movement of furniture, things were changing and tomorrow they’d be going home. Pulling Marie close to him he opened the door to their room, putting her down on the large soft bed he looked at her, knowing tomorrow would be hard for her but she’d come through it so far. Brushing a stray hair from her face Logan kissed her cheek and felt her mind surface from it’s slumber, purring gently in his chest he felt her settle again. Knowing he wouldn’t sleep for a while yet Logan left the door ajar and went back down, he needed some time alone.

Opening the front door he went and sat in the swing chair outside, the strain of his skeleton making the old wood creak. Finding it supported him fine he began to swing gently as the night unfolded around him. Listening to the movements inside as Mary went to bed, the day having been a little too much for her heart to comfortably cope with.

It wasn’t long before the door opened and Sophie appeared with a bottle and a couple of glasses, she didn’t speak all she did was pour and offer. Taking the glass Logan sniffed the contents, a rich heady smell hit him and he quirked an eyebrow, Sophie sipped hers and answered his unspoken question. “Applejack, what you get after you let cider freeze for a few months and take out the ice that forms on the top. Good for what ails you, mind you don’t drop it on the garden though it kills anything it touches.”

The sentiment riding through her voice unspoken, ‘just like Marie’. Lifting the glass Logan took a sip of the heady liquid, the scent of apple blooming in his mouth and the fire burn of the alcohol as it went down. Sweet and rich, heady and ripe something unexpected in it’s amber colour and scent, seeing him swallow the liquid and not choke Sophie laughed. “You’re the first man who’s never choked on his first taste Logan, that makes you unique as if you weren’t already.”

He’d passed the test then, looking over at the small woman as she sat next to him her mouth already forming her next sentence. “You're leaving tomorrow aren’t you?” Logan just nodded as Sophie carried on. “It’s for the best, the baby comes first and she’s going to need to get some rest as she figures some thing’s out.” Sophie’s eyes met his, “It’s not going to be easy although you knew that already didn’t ya?” Logan’s voice was deep and rich, matching the surroundings he was in.
“Yeah I knew, ever since I saw we were coming here I knew. She’s strong but there’s things she has to face here, her father being one of them.” Sophie nodded and she saw the sense in his words, her hand lifting the glass to her lips.

“He’s a stubborn man Logan, if he knows she’s here he’ll make her visit hell. Better if he doesn’t know at all. Let her get the baby born and settled before you tackle that one…” Logan beat her to the quote she was reaching for.
“He’ll come round when the babies born?” Spearing her with his gaze Logan saw Sophie crumble under its heat and she lowered her gaze first, looking out across the quiet road.
“Well, yes perhaps you’re right here. Once an idiot always an idiot, perhaps it’s best he doesn’t know she’s here, you’ll be gone before he gets out of bed anyway.” Draining her glass she left the bottle for him and went inside, her voice carrying through the quiet house, “Lock up when you come in Logan. Today’s been fun but it’s been a bit wearing, goodnight son.”

The affection in her voice making him smile as she went upstairs, not realising that he was probably older than her house. Letting the warmth of the evening calm his nerves Logan sipped the amber fire in his glass and watched the world pass by. Listening to the sounds of the animals and insects around him, missing out on the phone call that was being made across the street.