Author's Chapter Notes:
Logan brings a new face to the mansion and we get to see exactly what he does when Logan goes out alone.
The words ‘Not a chance in Hell’ had left his lips but circumstance had changed everything, again. Marie was still in the med bay, Jean thinking it was wise until the baby was born, when she’d returned later that week Marie had finally unloaded everything. She’d been pushing herself way too hard and he’d been too busy sorting out the house and everything else to notice. Another piece of guilt to land at his doorway so when Charles had told him about the lead down in New Orleans, he’d told him to stick it where the sun didn’t shine.

It was never that simple though, thing was the government had taken it into their heads that they could restart the program Stryker had created. They were targeting young mutants who were ‘unmissed’ by their families, several bodies had already been found by one of Charles’s Outreach Centres. It was brushed under the carpet sure but the marks on the bodies were enough to restart his nightmares.

So here he was sweating in the heat of full summer in the last hell hole on earth, he’d been there a week and so far the ‘lead’ had been nothing but rumours and swamp water. Dressed in his jeans only Logan sprawled over the two chairs he’d put together in the small apartment, there was no way in hell he was sleeping on that bed. The scent of death swam up from it everytime he went near it, the bedding was clean and fresh but the stink of a corpse never left it. Frustrated with the lack of progress Logan flicked open the small phone he had, hitting the button for home he waited for the call to be answered.

“Mutants ‘R’ Us, how may I help you today?” Jubilee’s chirpy tone bringing a small smile to his face.
“How is she Jubilee?”
“The Wolvester! About time you called bud, she’s been a bit grumpy today but that’s to be expected carrying around your little bundle of joy. At the moment she’s sleeping seeing as your kid was playing hockey with her kidneys last night.” The growl he let out was pure instinct and Jubilee knew it, “Hey don’t feel bad about it Wolvie, it’s not as if it’s you whose doing the internal redecorating is it?” He sighed as Jubilee made some actual sense to him.
“How is she?” Jubilee’s voice became serious for a second, her tone all adult.
“She’s doing okay, she’d be better with you here but we all know that’s a bit difficult right now, her mom and aunt have gone. They’ve moved into an apartment down in Tuscon, I got in a little flight practice too. Who knew there’d be so much to shift and so much crap to throw away?”

Logan let her ramble on about the move for a little while, letting the normalcy of life flow over him, taking away the surreal world he was in for a second.
“Jubilee,” his tone snapping her attention to him. “How *is* she?” the sigh that followed worried him.
“She misses you but she knows you’re out there for a reason. Katherine’s been with her nearly every day, I swear that girl gets stuff even I can’t get hold of. She needs you here Wolvie so you’d better finish whatever’s down there real quick or I’m gonna come and get ya and I mean it.” Smiling at the expression he knew would be on her face right now, the knitted eyebrows and the harsh stare that pierced you through. An intensity that was so unusual to see on her face, but when it appeared it was usually something important.

“When she wakes up tell her I called. There should be a package coming for her tomorrow, make sure she opens it alone Jubilee and I mean ALONE!” He could hear the smile from his end of the line as Jubilee answered him.
“Of course, wouldn’t want to go against the Wolvester now would I? You might take me out for another drink.” The playfulness in her voice lifted his spirits a little and he found himself smiling a little.
“When I get home we’ll all have a drink and maybe you’ll finish the rest of the year with me?” The last time they’d drunk anything it had been at Rosie’s nearly a year ago, there were things he still wanted to hear from her.
“Sure Logan, I wouldn’t miss it for the world but you spend the first week with Momma bear, believe me she’ll need it.” The comment made him frown at her choice of words.
“She’s been grumpy?” Jubilee snorted down the line.
“Grumpy ain’t in it, if Sabretooth showed up she’d just take his damn head off no problem. Even Jean’s finding her a little harsh sometimes, although when Katherine’s there she’s all sweetness and light. Oh well pregnancy does odd things to the body so I’m told. So when can we expect you?” He’d been dreading this bit of the conversation.
“Got a last few leads to chase up down here and then I’ll be coming home, maybe a week at the outside.”
“Cutting it fine there cowboy, she’s nearly there as it is, four weeks Jean says at the least so your on short notice Wolvie! She’d kill you if you weren’t here to see her born.”
“Jubilee, I’d kill me if I missed it, besides I can always get a lift.” The laughter from the other end of the phone made him smile.
“Hell yeah! Jean’d send Kurt out to get ya if the blackbird was grounded and believe me that’s no way to travel especially if you want to keep your lunch.” Feeling brighter Logan said his goodbyes and closed the phone, palming the small thin thing he pushed it deep into his pocket. Scanning the city in front of him getting ready to chase down a few things from his past, knowing if he failed someone else would end up like him. Of everything else in the world he’d rather die than let some other poor lonely scared mutant runaway end up like him. Time to get busy.

Logan went over to the small holdall he’d brought with him, inside it was some very small and expensive equipment, the guns that nestled next to it were for back up. The small recording devices were uplinked to a satellite that would be relaying intel as soon as they were switched on. Kitty had shown him the server back home where the information would be held before being copied and sent global. The U.S had a public policy of tolerance and it was showing this off to the world, showing how ‘lesser developed’ countries could cope with their mutant population.

If he did find anything it’d be a bonus and an ace in the hole for Charles, Logan changed his clothes as the morning wore on. Dressing in simple dark grey cotton slacks, soft boots, dark blue t-shirt and his ever present leather. He held no weapons on him, that’d be stupid he wanted to look like a tourist so he behaved like one. Picking up his small map of downtown Logan scanned the areas that Scott had ringed for him, the most pick ups had been from the lower end of the city. Near the docks. It made sense to him but he still didn’t relish the thought of being in dockyards again, the last time he’d come home not remembering anything, including Marie.

Snarling to himself he hefted the small holdall and slung it over his shoulder, if tonight went well, he’d be home by tomorrow. Watching the sun boil across the sky he cursed the heat and the slow easy attitude of the people here. Nothing was ever simple here and he hoped he could get out without causing too much damage. Inside Wolverine smiled at the thought of killing, he’d been bored at home not enough to challenge him. Here there were enough enemies to keep him occupied, even if it was just a drunken sailor or redneck. Rolling his shoulders, Logan set out for his night leaving the room behind him still faintly smelling of death. Carrying the scent with him out into the heat of the sultry evening like the perfume of a rare flower, knowing that by the end of the night he’d be bringing it to someone’s door.

**********************************************************

He’d set up the little devices all the way around the warehouse, the grey vans had been difficult to track across the weaving streets of Old New Orleans but he’d managed. He’d had to drink nearly half a bottle of Southern Comfort before someone had tried to move him, thinking he was just a drunk they’d thrown him out on his ass. It was just what he’d wanted, dirt had stuck to his clothes as he’d laid there in the street, the grey van’s occupants never giving him a second look as he’d weaved over toward their van. Almost dropping to the road’s surface as he reached it. The look of pure disgust on the occupants faces tangible, their words and scents filling his mind, “Fucking waste of space, look at it they don’t know how to live down here. Fucking animals.”

He had their scent now, he could track them without having to see them or them him. Rolling away into the gutter behind the van he stumbled up and away getting himself down an alley way knowing they were watching him. He felt the bump from behind and found himself looking into a pair of demon’s eyes, red with black surrounds, the face young and handsome, the scent unsure and scared but imprinted. Then they were gone and Logan had the sense to check his person, his wallet was missing. Pickpocket, good one too he hadn’t even felt the grab but he’d have to wait till later, the van was his target.

Checking the holdall was still there Logan pulled out everything and started to get himself kitted out for the job. Strapping a knife to his back under the jacket, a gun in each pocket and spare clips, he didn’t want to reveal his own weaponry if necessary. Charles had been clear on that, don’t use them unless it’s the only way to escape, the slash marks were very unique and could be traced to him. If they were dealing with who they thought they were dealing with, they’d love to get their hands on the original experiment. Keeping a growl checked in his throat Logan hefted the much lighter holdall and waited for the van to move.

Half an hour later two men carried a bundle out of the house next to the van, they were quick and efficient no-one even looked their way as they drove away. Only Logan watched them shift out into traffic taking a good long breath, imprinting their mingled scents. Throwing his leg over the battered bike he’d bought, he followed at a discreet distance until they reached the warehouse. Taking a wide berth he’d gotten above them, using the houses to the rear, glad for the moonless night that covered everything in velvet shadows. Reaching up into the fireplace of the empty house, he brought down some soot, rubbing it into his skin to take the shine of sweat away from him and darken his skin. He’d placed one of the little devices watching the entrance to the warehouse, switching it on he knew someone back home would be watching the info coming in.

The smells coming from the warehouse were human enough, but it was the stink of fear that sent his senses rocketing. There were at least twenty different scents here, all terrified, all desperate to be free. The stink of antiseptic and metal were everywhere in there and Wolverine pushed his way forward, trying to get his way. Keeping his mouth shut tight and his hands clenched tight Logan moved around the warehouse, placing a small device in the smashed window frame he allowed himself a quick glance inside. What met his eyes froze him in place, the rest of the world forgotten, everything focussed and pin sharp in crystal clarity.

Wire boxes stacked on top of each other, each one holding a mutant occupant, the thing that made it so much worse than it could have been for him, was that every single one of the captives was a child. They were dressed in medical scrubs and nothing else, there wasn’t one occupant over the age of fourteen and Logan concentrated on the little red light that told him that this was being recorded somewhere miles from here. It didn’t take long for the slim phone in his pocket to vibrate and Logan eased the slim phone to his ear, making each movement silent.

The small handset next to his head whispered into life, “Logan, if you can hear me put a finger in front of the camera,” he did so and withdrew it slowly. Scott’s voice was barely controlled as he relayed what he wanted Logan to do, he was to make a distraction in about an hours time. They were flying down, Hank was coming too to assess the children’s medical conditions, he wanted Logan to take out as many as possible but to keep himself out of the camera’s if he could. Logan held up a thumb to the small camera and switched off the phone. His eyes glittered in the light coming from the warehouse, taking in the sight of the cages and the children lying prone and quiet.

Steel tables with leather straps, the racks of test tubes and needles, the newest occupant was being strapped down to a table. She was about fourteen by the looks of her, dressed in a night-shirt with a cartoon bunny on it. An ugly bruise splashed across her face and Logan felt his control slip, the sharp pain of his skin splitting forced the anger down and away. If he went in there now he could get her killed, and the rest of the kids shot as well, he had to wait but he’d watch and he’d remember exactly who and what happened to her.

Logan moved around to get a better position, putting himself up on the roof now, near one of the slowly moving fans in the ceiling. Almost directly above her on the table, her feet were in stirrups and her night-shirt was lifted exposing her naked genitals, the gloved hands examining her taking a little too much time checking her. The delight radiating from the masked face visible from his vantage point, yet it was the scent of the doctors arousal that turned his stomach. Taking a small syringe from the tray next to him Logan watched as he inserted the whole thing inside her, hearing the laughter from the armed guards around the room. “Another virgin birth doc? Fuck em it’s easier.” One guard let his eyes linger over her naked body his desire visible from this distance. He’d had enough, it was all he could take, the quiet of the warehouse was too much, the dead eyes of the occupants watched as if this was nothing. As if this was a normal thing, that there was worse to come, much, much worse to come and she’d find out about that later. Taking a second look at the cages Logan felt his stomach drop away from him, every single occupant was a girl. This was a farm, a breeding centre.

His breath became calm as he allowed Wolverine to come forward in him, Logan knew that Wolverine was faster, better at this than he was, he didn’t think about the consequences he just did what he had to. Shifting off the roof Logan dropped silently off and waited for the guard who patrolled the outside of the doors to get within reach. Sliding out a knife from his back Logan felt the feral mind of Wolverine take over, still sharing the experiences with him, guiding him with his logic and purpose. The guard didn’t even see him until he was forced onto the knife, the blade slicing up and into his lung, shredding his diaphragm at the same time as Wolverine sliced him wide open. Dropping the corpse forward and hearing the slick slide of his internal organs fall into the soil.

Moving quietly he located the small side door and crept inside, keeping low he hugged the darkness that the sodium lights didn’t penetrate. Settling himself down Wolverine looked at the arrangement of men around the room. Looking over a small pile of crates he saw his opportunity to take out the ones around the cages. Quickly screwing on the suppresser to each gun, finally loading each one carefully with the clips, noting the cross cut into each bullet head. He’d done that yesterday when he’d realised he might need an advantage each bullet would fragment and tear a much larger exit wound. So one shot could kill instead of wasting more than he needed to, taking a breath and hearing the sound of the blackbirds engines Wolverine pulled the triggers.

The four guards fell like bulls pole-axed, the red blooms on their throats telling the damage that had been dealt to them. The rest looked around for the source of the gunfire, finding it they opened fire with everything they had, rolling away Wolverine raised himself as the first bullets pinged off the concrete floor. He was up and firing before they knew what hit them, three more went down before they got a shot in on him. The automatic fire cutting a swathe through his chest, the burn of the bullets tracing pain through his soul, Logan let go of control. Dropping the guns to the floor as his wounds sealed themselves and the damage healed, already racing across the gap between him and the rest of the guards. Some of the girls were screaming but mostly they were quiet, arms wrapped around themselves, lost to the events surrounding them. Claws out Wolverine danced around the rest of the frightened men, slicing and killing, dragging them into the darkened areas to finish them off.

The doctor was in shock, he just stood still as the chaos around him erupted, seeing his protectors picked off one buy one. The shine of metal, a dark faced creature flashed out of the darkness, snagging a guard, the sound of flesh separating was enough. Alone with it his voice raised itself in the vast quiet, the faint roar of an engine meeting his ears. Giving him confidence he spoke to the darkness where the creature was, “What do you want?”

Silence answered him, feeling the eyes of the caged mutants on him, a low growl echoed through the warehouse. Feeling afraid for the first time in years, the doctor picked up a scalpel, palming the instrument he turned to look around the floor. Bodies were everywhere, their blood beginning to cool and thicken, the children in the cages were trying to get free. Eyes filled with hatred watched his every move as he backed away from the girl laying on her back, body spread open to the world.

“It won’t change anything you know, there’s too many of us out there. I’m not alone in this, I’m not ALONE!” The whole room became diffused with red light as Cyclops burst the doors wide open, the rest of the team, quickly ran over to the cages. Jubilee’s face tight and controlled, Kitty’s powers coming in useful as she ripped the cages open, Hank helping some out from the top cages. Scott looking over the scene of the table and covering the occupant. Unstrapping her from the metal bed, handing her to Bobby to carry, the doctor just watching as they worked, anger boiling through him as they took his subjects away. His voice high and his face red as he went for Cyclops the scalpel raised, he never made it.

Wolverine met the blade as it sank into his chest, just appearing from nowhere to save Cyc. His eyes were totally black when he ground out his words, “My turn.” The slide of the blades through the doctors body made Scott’s stomach churn, Wolverine slid them up and down the body in front of him. Tearing what was left of his genitals away, the other set shredding the torso completely, the look of incredulous shock fixed itself to his face as he fell.

Scott looked into the dark black of his eyes and just turned away, there was too much in there for him to try and say something. It’d wait until later, when they were all home. Looking at the shell shocked group of girls all huddling together under the hands of Storm, Jubilee, Kitty and Damask. Seeing their fear from the males around them Scott just nodded to Ororo and they led them away to the blackbird. Turning his attention back to Wolverine Scott saw the hazel gaze of Logan meet his, the words were clipped and short, “There’s others.”

His face tight as he looked over at the cages, the stink of the place making his sinus burn, “It’s not the same as me. It’s worse.” Scott waited for him to finish knowing he was trying to stay controlled, trying to keep himself together. “They're breeding them, kids, they're using kids.” The information burned itself into him, seeing the equipment for the first time through the eyes of a scientist. Everything here was for breeding, to aid conception, Hank was looking through the notes and his face was set hard. Scott looked at Logan and at the rest of the warehouse, “Take what we need for evidence.”

Looking at Logan Scott put his hand on his shoulder,“Burn the rest.” Hank gathered everything he needed, samples, notes everything, Bobby came back to help bringing Pieter with him. The girls were taking them home, and they’d be back as soon as possible, they’d take them all home. Scott watched Logan approach the cages and begin to slice them apart with his claws, Bobby went toward Logan but Pieter stopped him shaking his head to emphasise his point. They all heard his cries and saw the tears on his face but they didn’t mention it, seeing the depravity around them had been enough, making each of them angry and frustrated. At least Logan could allow himself to express it, knowing if he didn’t, he’d explode being a risk to everyone around him.

Finally it was all set up, Logan took the cigar from his lips and threw it down to the ground. The gasoline caught quickly and the warehouse went up, the flames rising into the lightening sky, feeling a little alone he reached for his wallet to look at the picture of Marie in there. Needing to see the reason he had to be careful, finally remembering that he didn’t have it, it had been lifted by a thief. Getting the co-ordinates for the meeting place Logan went to find his little thief, the nights events still fresh in his mind. He needed that picture, Logan just hoped the little thief hadn’t thrown it away, he’d hate to set two fires in one day.

**********************************************************

Remy had managed to keep one step ahead of the thieves guild, the small space he had as a home was waiting for him. He’d just been ‘entertaining’ a few people and he needed the sleep, his name was becoming known in this part of the city and he knew he’d have to move soon. Feeling the inner pockets of his coat, Remy could feel his haul for the night banging against his thigh, the bruise from his latest ‘entertainment’ still forming. Wincing as he finally got into his home, the small pile of blankets his only comfort here in the city. He could have stayed with his ‘client’ but it was too risky, not after last time, the wound on his shoulder had taken two weeks to heal properly and it was still stiff. The last thing a pickpocket needed was clumsy hands, he’d almost dropped the first wallet of the day. Thinking back to the drunk he’d rushed into, the sharpness of his eyes and the feel of his bulk, probably a mid-western boy come for some fun and frolics but his eyes had stayed with him all night. Their hazel haunting him as he’d been under the sweating body of his latest conquest, trying to smile as the pain of knowing he’d never see such a pair of eyes look clear at him.

No he found his ‘clients’ after the drink had done its work, after the loneliness of their situation made them easy targets for his charms. He’d lifted nearly a hundred from this last one, that’d be enough to get him somewhere to lie low for a while. Remy was just emptying his pockets when he felt the skin of someone else’s hand brush his own, deftly grabbing the last wallet from his fingers, the voice deep and powerful in the small space. “I believe that belongs to me.”

He hadn’t been hard to track, the scent of this kid was everywhere, he’d tracked him across the seedier parts of the town finally finding him at a brothel. Logan’s face had creased as he hoped he wasn’t spending his money in there or using his credit card, the bill to Charles would take some explaining. He soon found out that he had it backwards, the kid came out of the back door stinking of someone else and his hands counted out a good deal of money to the madam. She slammed the door on the young man and Logan could see the thin figure shudder against the chill winds that blew from the river. Staying at a distance Logan followed the young thief, watching him as he moved with grace and purpose through the crowds.

At one point he was almost caught by a burly man with a scar that ran down his face, the young thief’s scent spiked with fear as he hid under a car until the man had passed. Logan looked the huge man over as he passed him, definitely Mafia, if the tattoo was anything to go by. The kid wasn’t too bright about being followed or maybe he was too tired to care, the scent from him had been telling Logan he hadn’t slept well in an age. It was only a matter of time before someone caught up with him, his visible mutation was enough to make people cross the road from him but there was something else there too.

Keeping his distance Logan watched the young man pick up a card from the floor and make it glow, the light making it easier for him to see his way in the darkness he called home. Logan kept back, his face clean of soot but his clothes still had the remains of several men on them. Seeing the young man throw the card into the air expertly and seeing it explode with a small crump, his features lit by the glow. There were hollows there in the thin face and Logan knew he’d ask him to come with him. Logan couldn’t leave him to this life, he’d be dead within the week and Logan knew it.

Following him quietly into the tiny space that he called home, Logan stood behind the young thief and plucked his wallet out of his hands when he brought it out, “I believe that belongs to me.” He saw the thief stiffen and turn, fear radiated out from him until he met his gaze, the voice weak but accented drifted to Logan.
“You?” The kid didn’t move, didn’t back away from him he just stood there looking into Logan, he saw several different emotions pass the dark red eyes in front of him before he saw the practised smile slide across his face.
“What you doing here kid?” The question gave the thief some time to think and he moved back from him.
“Nothing, Remy just making a living best way he can. It not easy when you’re so ‘talented’.” The last part of the sentence just dripped with sex and sarcasm, the cajun accent becoming thicker and his scent beginning to lose some of it’s fear.

He’d worked out if he’d wanted to kill him he’d be dead by now, Logan watched the hands weaving and found them quietly charging up a credit card in his fingers. Grabbing the hand quickly, Logan brought it up between them.
“Yeah real ‘talented’ aren’t ya?” The young thief tried to move his wrist away but the grip was solid firm and strong. He quickly let the charge dissipate from the card, reabsorbing the energy. Logan noticed the fear was back and he decided to make the offer. “You want to stay here and let the local Mafia find you? Or do you want to do some good with the ‘talents’ you have? Must be hard being a mutant down here, New Orleans ain’t the most tolerant of places.” He could see the young man trying to work out his angle in all this, quickly finding his confidence Remy answered.
“Remy work for no one, he do as he please. This little thief still have some honour left.” Smiling Logan worked it out and dropped Remy’s hand, taking a good scent of the wind blowing in from the cracks in the walls Logan could scent company coming. Turning to the young thief he grinned as his eyes darkened.
“Remy huh?” The young thief nodded, “Well your going to have to make your mind up in about five seconds because that’s how much time we have before the group of goons you had following you gets here. Your choice.”

The man’s eyes were darker, much, much darker but Remy trusted his instincts, and at the moment they were telling him to trust this stranger, this mark who’d done nothing but talk to him. He was capable of hurting him but he’d just come back for his wallet, inside Remy had hoped it had been for him but he squashed that quickly. Straining his hearing Remy could hear the braying laughter of Anton, the Thieves Guild enforcer. He liked mutants, loved to see them trying to move after he’d finished with them Remy had stumbled on one of their last ‘jobs’. Seeing the man in front of him smiling darkly he took his chance, “Remy think we should leave now.” The man smiled and nodded, his body was tight and humming making Remy wish he had the time to brush up against him, to feel the thrum of his skin but he had other priorities right now. Moving quickly Remy left through a panel in the wall of the small shack, it opened into another building and Remy heard the larger man following him. Hoping he was doing right by following his instincts Remy said a prayer to his grandame, she always told him to follow his instincts they’d keep him living long after sense had been and gone. But with the large man behind him he hoped she was right.

The kid was bright but he had a problem with speaking about himself, he always spoke in the third person, as if he wasn’t the one making the decisions. Logan shrugged it off, hell he had nightmares and a second personality that made Charles Manson look good. The kid had tried flirting with him, using his body to get himself out of trouble and Logan couldn’t help but wonder how many times he’d done that for it to be so easy for him. When Remy had realised his charms wouldn’t work, he’d scented the fear rising again and he’d had to change tack the goons had just made things easier. Wolverine had wanted to stay, he wasn’t finished yet and his anger at the occupants of New Orleans wouldn’t wait. Someone somewhere knew what was going on with the labs, maybe Remy knew something he was a thief and a pickpocket. Maybe he’d found something out in his jaunts around the city, Logan caught himself as they reappeared into a back alley.

The daylight giving some colour to his clothing and the arterial red splashed across his shirt and trousers. Remy took one look and paled, his nerves spiked and he tried to run. Logan grabbed the back of his long leather coat and held on, pulling him back and wrapping him up in his arms. Logan could feel Remy’s heartbeat pounding through the leather but he didn’t struggle when he tightened his grip. “Look kid I’m not going to hurt you, I’m trying to help you. You stay here you’ll be dead in a week maybe less, come with me and you’ll have somewhere safe to be. Somewhere you don’t have to worry about being ‘talented’.” Logan could feel Remy relaxing in his grip as the words entered his head. Seeing the young face turn to look at him, seeing the naked need in his face to believe him, to trust him but not being able to.

Logan scanned the alleyway and seeing no one around he brought one hand away from the body he was holding, bringing out a small amount of claw. “See kid, your not the only one with ‘talents’.” Remy’s black ringed eyes went wide and he relaxed in the grip that held him, he knew now, he was a mutant too. His scent had calmed somewhat but he was still confused, “Trust me, if I’d wanted to kill you I would have.” Logan let go of Remy then and the young man moved away a little looking at Logan a little deeper.
“So why you come for Remy?”
“You had my wallet, I wanted it.” Remy’s hands produced the wallet again and handed it back to Logan, he hadn’t even felt the removal of it. “Fuck! How did you do that?” A grin that was almost devilish split his young face.
“What can I say Remy has many ‘talents’.” Damn he was flirting again, Logan’s hearing picked up on the sounds of men following and he just grabbed the wallet from Remy and began to run. He couldn’t wait for him to make up his mind, he’d either follow or not. Hearing the light footsteps following his Logan made his way to the meet up point, hoping Scott wouldn’t throw a fit when he brought another stray home.

**********************************************************

The blackbird was heated and ready to go when they arrived, Pieter was changed into his battle form, his skin shining in the sunlight. Logan barely gave him a second glance but Remy almost stopped until Logan pushed him ahead of him. Pieter raised the ramp and the blackbird soared into the sky, Logan noticed his stuff was here, the bike strapped in and secured. His small amount of clothes were stacked next to it, the holdall lying next to it.

Bobby looked at the new arrival and held out a hand to the stranger, “Hi I’m Bobby.” Remy smiled and shook the hand that had been offered to him, Logan noticing the way Remy was already weighing up his competition here. Seeing the black hair of Jubilee Remy was moving toward the front of the blackbird when Pieter stopped him dead and put him in a seat, buckling him in. His red eyes glowing and a serious look on his face as he strapped him in, Pieter was making sure Remy knew who was in charge here and it made him smile. Remy saw his charms sliding off the large Russian and Logan snickered to himself as Remy finally settled down in the seat. Finally deciding to get some rest Logan watched the kid fall asleep, half way home Scott threw a question down to him. “So did you find your thief?”
“Yeah he’s here with us. He’s a very ‘talented’ kid, calls himself Remy, got most of New Orleans Mafia after him for some reason.” He could hear the cogs of Scott’s mind working and he just got it over with before he asked him, “NO I didn’t do anything stupid. I just got the kid and left, I figured we wouldn’t have the time for me to have some fun. Although the danger rooms going to get a work out when I get home.”

Jubilee piped in first. “Uh-uh bud, you're needed in med bay and when she knew you were coming there were four of us holding her down in there. Your spoken for bud, any energy you have now she’ll take and then some.” The quiet that echoed around the blackbird was complete and Jubilee felt her cheeks redden a little. “What? It’s not something you’re used to? I mean you're all men and have needs, what’s wrong with Rogue having them? Or is it because she’s pregnant?” Flicking her gaze to Scott she saw the deep flush of colour across his face and Jubilee laughed, “Damn embarrassed by a horny pregnant woman! Jean’ll be in stitches!” Scott recovered quickly.

“No it’s just that the other girls down in Med Bay may not be ready to see Logan right now.” Jubilee just shook her head and answered as they did the final turn toward home.
“Nope some of them want to see him, say thanks for killing that bastard. Looks like Wolvester there has a fan club and as you know there’s nothing like life saving to build hero worship around.”
“Yeah just as long as they understand I’m off limits I don’t care.” Jubilee heard his comment.
“No need Wolvie, Rogue did that for you. Made it clear in no uncertain terms that you were off limits and she laid out the consequences of random touching or flirting. They got it pretty quick although I’ll say one thing you’ll never have to worry about baby sitters when she comes along. You’ve got about twelve to choose from.”

Hearing about the baby made a thought rise unbidden and unwanted in his head and Logan needed to know, it was something he had to know before he got home. “Jube’s?”
“Yeah?”
“How many?” She looked over to Scott who just nodded to her to tell him, they all knew the details now, plus who had been the main donor for the program. Logan wasn’t going to like it one bit, but he had to be told, if he found out later he’d rip Scott a new one.
“Hank said its fourteen confirmed, three others he’s not sure of.” Pieter leaned across and put his large hand on Logan’s arm, the cool metal on his skin forcing Wolverine back down. Logan knew there was more.
“Tell me.” Jubilee cleared her throat and looked at Scott to take over the controls, he did and brought the Blackbird down toward the hanger. Jubilee turned in her seat to look at Logan, her eyes filled with the knowledge that could kill him.
“It’s not yours, but it’s similar. Sabretooth.”

Anger flared and Pieter caught his arms as he lost complete control of himself, Wolverine howled to the surface and Jubilee felt the tears flow from her as Pieter held him down. Growling low Wolverine turned to snarl at Pieter who just held him still in the seat with his bulk as they landed. Bobby woke Remy and took him inside the mansion, Scott sent a message to Charles and Jubilee just held herself as Wolverine tried to get free from Pieter. His eyes were black and the rage she felt from him was overwhelming.

He wanted to kill, he wanted to go find him and rip him apart, but if they let him go he’d be walking back into the military’s trap for him. He’d be lost to Rogue and he’d be back in the lab, two things they couldn’t allow. Katherine walked into the blackbird and went straight to him, putting her hands on his temples from behind she purred and cooed. Pieter and Jubilee watched as she calmed him, her hands roving over his skin, through his hair, the scent of woodland filling the small space. Katherine’s eyes a pure green as she soothed him, it took a while until Pieter felt safe enough to let go of him. Scott had left by then leaving Jubilee and Pieter with him, finally when his eyes were hazel again Katherine kissed the top of his head and left taking Pieter with her. Jubilee the only one left to sort out the post flight checks. She didn’t speak to him, he’d say something if he wanted to.

His head had felt as if it had been on fire, his blood had been screaming, he wanted to find him, to kill him. Sabretooth! He wanted to see him dead, they were using his sperm to impregnate children. Even the thought of it made his stomach churn and the anger raise in him again. Katherine had come, her hands had been on his temples soothing him with the forest, with the gentle peace all around him.

Jubilee was still there, her sadness and sorrow tangible in the air, she knew about abuse, she’d been on the receiving end more than once herself. And now she was expected to cope with twenty girls who had been treated like animals, unstrapping himself from the seat he stood up behind her. “Jube’s?” She didn’t stop her checking she just answered him.
“Yeah?” Logan put himself in her way and pulled her up out of her seat, she was holding together, barely.
“Thanks.”
“No problem. Just glad it wasn’t you. Could you imagine twenty little versions of you running around here? We’d have no school left by the end of the year.” She was smiling but it didn’t reach her eyes. Pulling her to him he felt her hands slide round his waist and squeeze tightly, scenting her tears as they fell. Her quiet sobs were muffled by his shirt and he could smell the blood covering him knowing that Jubilee must need this or she wouldn’t even be touching him like this. When she’d finished he moved away seeing her eyes shining a little brighter.

“You’d better go see momma bear, she’ll probably be climbing the walls by now. Hank said he was putting her down in the ‘Motel’, better for her and the baby.” Logan turned to leave when Jubilee stopped him in his tracks. “Hank wants to abort them all but they need permission from their parents first. Thing is there’s some that are almost too far gone to do that, if they don’t get permission soon…”. She left it wide open and Logan knew what she was getting at he turned to look at her and saw the hurt all over her face.
“Hey we’re a family aren’t we? There’s enough room round here for more than one rugrat.” Jubilee didn’t smile and her words were filled with fear.
“But what if he…”
“He won’t. He’ll never know Jubilee, they’re our kids now. We’ll look after them, no matter who their parents are. Hell I’m not exactly the fatherly type but I’m here and you know me Jube’s. If they’re here, they’re my responsibility and that’s enough for me. It don’t matter who or where they came from, there safe here and that’s what matters.”

Jubilee saw the truth in his words and her tears began to flow again, holding out his hand to her she walked over and took it. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and walked out of the hanger with her, each supporting the other as they dealt with the blow that had been dealt to them both. Jubilee could have been one of those girls once and Logan could have kids somewhere he didn’t know about. He’d been in the lab’s long enough for someone to have the bright idea to take his sperm, to make more of him. Squashing the thought immediately he walked with Jubilee into the med bay, going to see the new arrivals and make sure the fan club was well and truly disbanded.

*********************************************************

Marie was waiting by the door when he walked in, her smile was almost as big as her belly. She started stripping him immediately, tearing at his clothes her need for him overwhelming in its urgency. Her breath coming in short pants, skin flushed and red, eyes dark. He knew this, he’d seen it in himself often enough, this was all need, all instinct. She was dressed in just a soft robe, her belly stretching the material as she moved against him, her fingers were struggling with the buttons to his jeans. Her strained whimper making him smile as she finally managed to get him free. Tearing the cloth away quickly replacing the material with her naked skin, the sensation of her small hands on him always aroused his basest instincts. “Logan,” her voice felt like velvet on his ears he’d missed her so much, lost in her scent and her touch Logan felt her hands running all over him. Checking him for wounds, for hurt, she did this every time he came home from a mission as if she didn’t trust him to be safe.

Knowing he’d do the same if the roles were reversed, she needed to know he was hers again, feeling her lips against his skin brought the animal back to the surface. Growling as she moved across his chest Logan pulled her robe open and ran his hands over her skin, feeling her shudder at his touch on her. Knowing she didn’t allow anyone else to touch her skin, even though they could, she only trusted him to be totally naked, to be herself. Bringing her head up to see her dark eyes and the need for him shining out at him, she needed him wanted him loved him. Bringing his lips to hers Logan kept Wolverine down as he chased her tongue around her mouth, his rumbling need going through them both as his penis nudged against her.

Pulling away to allow her breath he felt her pushing him down to the floor, his back banging against the solid door. Understanding quickly Logan sat against the door and helped Marie to sit on him, her legs across his; her feet at his hips. Holding her steady as she slid down onto him, the mutual groans of pleasure filling the sterile air as Logan remembered how deep the link was with his mate. Opening her mind, Marie showed him the dreams she’d had of him, coming back and taking her in the med bay. Bending her over so she could rest her belly on the soft mattress as he took her from behind, her fingers clawing into the sheets as he moved inside her.

Seeing the images flow through him seeing her body move on him, feeling her hands digging into his knees as she supported herself, her belly just grazing against him as she moved. Realising that the feel of her belly was just as erotic as the rest of her, she was his, all his and she wanted only him.
She was still tight against him as she slid herself along his length, filling herself with him, needing him to be deeper but he knew that was dangerous. Bringing his fingers around to her clit he worked her as she moved on him, her scent and touch on him bringing his own climax closer. Her moans were loud and he knew someone would hear her the thought brought a smile to his face as she began to shudder around him. Holding his hand steady on her as she flew apart her cry filling the room, making his ears ring with it’s intensity. Gently shifting her while she was still coming down, keeping her climax spiking as he pushed toward his own.
Feeling her muscles contract around him as she came again making him growl loudly, her own whimpers firing the animal inside him. Knowing he had to be careful, he held her up as he neared his peak, reaching it finally as she sat back on him, her belly rubbing against his thighs.

Hearing Marie’s contented purr as she felt him release inside her the spreading warmth making her shift on him again. Feeling her trying to pull him deeper Logan shifted out of her, sitting her on his thighs and holding her to him, they didn’t need words, everything between them was said in touch and mind. He was home and he was staying home now, shifting herself around until she faced him snuggling under his chin and resting there in his arms. Feeling complete again Marie slept, his still warm seed trickling out of her, their combined scents filling the room, repairing the bond that had been stretched by his absence.

Feeling Wolverine settle in his chest Logan looked down at the marvel in his arms, she loved him above everything else, put him first above herself, knew the man he wanted to be because of her belief in him. Kissing the top of her head he closed his eyes and wrapped himself around her, pulling up his legs so he cradled her better. His clothes were ruined, still smelling of death and swamp water, they didn’t matter anymore, all that mattered was what he held in his arms. Logan let the days events slide away as he slept with Marie, the only thing that mattered at the moment was that he was home and he hadn’t missed his baby’s birth.

**********************************************************

It was the knock at the door that woke Logan, it was soft and quiet, not the usual type and that had his attention immediately. Taking a breath he identified the scent, Jean. Why would Jean be down here disturbing him, surely she could check on them both via the camera. Taking a quick look he noticed it hadn’t been switched on, probably remembering the last time he’d been in here and wrecked it. Smiling to himself Logan lifted Marie gently and carried her to the bed, putting her inside the covers Logan pulled on a spare pair of sweats and opened the door.

Jean looked beyond tired and her scent told him something was desperately wrong, “What is it?” Jean just looked him directly in the eye and whispered, ‘Hank’. Her eyes darted to Marie sleeping on the bed and back at him, Logan knew then that she knew about the ‘agreement’ between the two men. Quickly stepping outside and closing the door Logan stood up straight and met Jean’s gaze head on, there was no look of disgust or change in her scent just fear.

“What’s happened?” Jean crossed her arms and sighed heavily.
“He’s locked himself in the danger room. Scott tried to get him out but he’s now in med bay with a concussion. Pieter tried and he’s now guarding the outside of the room after Hank put him through the doors bodily. He didn’t hurt him but the doors are just hanging on. You’re the last hope.” At least they’d tried to get him out themselves before coming for him, moving along the corridor with Jean leaving Marie sleeping behind him.

“What’s he doing in there?”
“Just sitting at the moment, he’s destroyed nearly everything in there.” Logan’s eyebrow lifted at that statement. He knew that the danger room could be programmed to show different environments and obstacles but if Hank had destroyed everything?
“What had he been doing before he went in there?” Jean was lost to her thoughts as she walked, tiredness overcoming her logical thought processes.

“He’s just finished the tissue typing of the girls, they had to be sedated, most of them anyway.” Logan’s face tightened and Jean finally worked it out, her face blanched and she continued, “I’ll get Pieter to clear the floor.” Logan held her arm shaking his head slowly.
“No, just the corridor, make sure Pieter knows not to let anyone down there. Not till he sees me come out.” Jean nodded and Logan saw her concentrate for a second, the tiredness washing over her again. “Go get some sleep, Jubilee can wake you if your needed down in the med bay.” Jean nodded and wandered away, her mind full of the pain and torment from the young girls around her.
Cracking his neck Logan went upstairs to the danger room, looked like he was going to get his work out after all.

**********************************************************

Peiter was waiting for him, his skin shining in the morning light that was filling the hallway. Logan just nodded to him as he passed, the orders were clear, he’d make sure they were carried out to the letter. Logan saw the doors, their buckled edges testament to the rage that had bent their steel faces. Opening the doors he was met by the sight of Hank sat in the middle of the room, the wreckage around him in tiny pieces. Hank’s scent was usually light and airy like the forest in spring but now it was deep, heady and dark. Hank’s head slowly rose from looking at the floor, Logan felt the amber stare go right through him. This was Beast, Hank wasn’t even here anymore, everything he’d seen, everything he’d found out, everything he’d had to deal with over the last few hours had been too much. He’d retreated to somewhere else, leaving Beast in charge, the need to find a reason for torture, for abuse had been too much for Hank’s mind.

A *doctor* had done these things to children, taken them, abused them, experimented on them all because they were mutants, because they were different.
Beast growled as Logan stepped closer, his bare feet pushing aside the broken remains of equipment, seeing the huge furred man shift into a crouch. He didn’t want him here but Hank couldn’t stay here forever, he was needed downstairs in the med bay. “Hank?” Teeth were bared and a low rumble filled the room, Logan tensed himself readying himself for the blow that he knew was coming. He’d almost reached him when the blow came, a hand open and full of claws raked across Logan’s chest, slicing him open. Blood welled up and out of the wounds firing his own instinctive responses, his blades fired as the blow slammed him into the floor. Feeling the sting as they closed Logan watched the large man circling him, trying to keep his own urges to kill forced down. Feeling the slide of his blades as they retreated back into his body, knowing he could kill the man in front of him if he lost control.

Hank dove for him again, trying to throw him out of the room, to get him away from him. Dodging away from the clumsy attempt it dawned on Logan why he was doing it, he didn’t want to hurt anyone, he wanted them away from him. On some level Hank felt responsible for what had happened, the man who’d hurt them had been a doctor, a doctor like Hank. Seeing Hank lower himself for another charge Logan took the chance, “You're not him Hank.” Amber eyes narrowed and a bellow sounded out, loud enough to make the room reverberate with it, anger made him clumsy and Logan used it to his advantage. Vaulting over the large man’s back using his skills to grab the large neck from behind, wrapping his arm around the throat tightly in a sleeper hold. Hank roared and clawed him from behind, the stink of blood washed over them both as Hank shredded his side in an effort to get him to let go. “Not gonna happen Hank.”

Feeling the movements get weaker as he held on, using the metal in his arms to push against the neck and the blood flow going to his head. Falling with the large man, finally letting go when he smelled the change in his scent, all the frustration gone, all the anger lost. Then and only then did he call for Pieter, both of them carrying the weight of an unconscious Hank to his room. Locking the door and leaving him to come round on his own accord knowing he’d be waking up with a headache and the loss of a few brain cells. Logan hoped he hadn’t turned their genius into an idiot, patting Pieter on the shoulder he left him on guard as he returned to his own bed.

Just as he reached it Charles made contact with him.
Sighing as he climbed into bed with Marie Logan answered him.
Wrapping his arms around her sleeping form Logan felt her wriggle into his warmth.
Keeping his eyes tight shut and trying to block out the truth from his mind but knowing Charles would see it anyway he brought up the image of the doctor screaming out his last words.

His tone full of sorrow and pain as he closed down the link between them both and felt the remorse coming from Charles as he withdrew. Holding Marie Logan let himself forget everything but what was in his arms, feeling the new life stirring in her belly knowing Marie would be awake soon. Breathing in her scent Logan found the new scent of the baby mingled in with her own, smiling he ran a hand over her distended stomach feeling the stretched skin move as the baby followed his touch. “Love you, both of you.” Drifting into a peaceful sleep Logan let the scent of his child fill him forging a new bond as he laid there in peaceful slumber.