Author's Chapter Notes:
Marie and Logan set the date for the wedding, Logan gets to put his class through the wringer, Katherine shows Logan what she really *is* and Hank gets a wake up call.
Marie was still fussing over the position of the crib when Logan returned from the small shopping trip he’d been sent on. The beautiful work on the wooden crib was something to behold. Several of the students had carved animals into the legs of the crib and Marie was having a hard time deciding which face to have to the wall. One side had a wolverine on it, the other had a rose pattern, the ends of the crib were attached with horse nails, one nail hanging over the small mattress a little point at the end of the mobile. Blunted at the end so if it fell it wouldn’t harm the baby. Logan had put the crib together over the five days she’d been away and had been rewarded with a smile that put the angels to shame.

She loved it when she found out the wood had come from her favourite tree, at the moment it sat next to their bed in the main bedroom of the cabin. Everything was done, the walls were sound, water was running, the electric’s were on generator as well as the ring main, there was even a well dug for them if they needed it. The room’s were still a little bare but Marie had ‘plans’, hence the shopping trip.

Marie finally noticed Logan stood in the doorway and wrapped herself around him the best she could, “Hey there, aren’t we lucky?” Logan kissed the warm lips facing him before answering.
“Uh-huh we are but what am I being thankful for today?” He wasn’t feeling very thankful about her sending him out to the mall it still held some bad memories and the crowds disturbed him. Seeing Marie realise he was a little upset about the shopping trip she kissed him and wrapped his hands around her.

“That I have the worlds best partner, who did everything in this house just for us.” Smiling Logan hugged Marie to him, the summer heat dissipating into the thick wooden walls, keeping the inside bearable. Looking out of their bedroom window Logan could see the forest, he’d made sure their room faced the wilderness. Facing East so they would get the morning sun, there were other rooms up here, a second suite like theirs with its own bathroom, a smaller bathroom and a smaller bedroom. Downstairs was a large living space with a small office under the stairs, the kitchen was almost tiny compared to the rest of the house but Logan was practical. He expected them both to spend more time outside eating than indoors, hence the veranda on the back of the house.

There was also a cool room for meat storage, no cellar here when the house is built on solid stone. It had taken time to put together but it had been worth every moment to have this place away from the hustle of the school. The back stairs was something that he’d done as an emergency measure, they were small, wooden panelled and cramped. You couldn’t rush down them carrying anything, he knew, he’d fallen down them enough trying it. The walls were carved with animals, Peiter had done them, his eye for detail was something that seemed to fascinate Logan; all the animals were ones he’d seen on his morning patrols. So they all lived around the cabin and seeing them winding up the small staircase made Logan feel at home.

Outside midsummer was in full swing, the green of the hills and trees were almost too much to take in, the half mile they were both away from the mansion seemed like hours when he looked out of the window. He could still faintly hear the kids on the field below the ridge, his sensitive hearing picking up their screams and fun filled play. Well tonight they had their first major try out in survival, the first dry run had gone well and now they needed some more practical knowledge. They’d be taken out to the north and west ridges and left with water and a tent, the rest they had to find for themselves. Logan had scouted the whole area and found nothing of danger really, a few old logs, no animals prowling around that wouldn’t be scared away by a group of teenagers. Loud teenagers at that, kissing Marie his mind came back to the shopping he’d brought in.

“Hey what did you need the fabric for?” He’d picked up a bolt of cotton from the mall, thin and white it had glowed the whole way up here. Marie smiled and rubbed herself along his body, her belly brushing across his hands and Logan felt his daughter move under his fingers.
“You’ll have to wait and see.” Unwrapping herself from him Marie made her way back downstairs, taking her time and touching everything she could with her bare hands. Here she could relax, be free from the gloves that kept her separate from everyone else. A place of their own, where she could walk round naked as the day she was born if she felt like it, hell they both knew Logan would. He couldn’t wait to move in fully at the beginning of July, they were just sorting out the legal bits and pieces first.

It was a matter of pride for Logan, he had money just that he wanted it to be his in everything. Marie was down on the deeds and he’d made sure that everything he owned in Canada was hers as well, all he had to do was get her down the aisle before the baby came and he’d be happy. Thing was it wasn’t something you just sprang on someone, he’d caught her looking at him sometimes, an odd look on her face as if she was figuring something out about him.

He knew she talked to the other him in her head about things and often she surprised him with her understanding of him. He just hoped that this would be one of those times because otherwise he was on the losing side and the mansions women would make his life hell. They’d discussed it before and Marie had seemed to want to wait but the closer the baby came the more Marie seemed to be thinking about it. Marie’s upbringing had been pure southern baptist, until her family had kicked her out and shown her that the morals they lived by didn’t include forgiveness for a mutant daughter. She’d be giving birth to a child outside of wedlock and even though she knew that Logan would never leave her it still made her feel uncomfortable, even with his baby riding round inside her.

Everyone had been great about it, no one commented about it, it was as if they were already married in their eyes. Even Scott had come to terms with seeing Marie wandering around with a huge stomach, he’d even caught him with his head next to the stretched skin of her stomach to feel the baby move. He’d caught a kick to the head that day and Logan had heard the comment as he’d walked into the rec room, ‘There’s no doubting who *your* daddy is.’ It had made his heart swell with pride as he’d come round to see Scott rubbing a red mark on his forehead and Marie in fits of laughter. Scott was still going to see Jean everyday and things were improving, it was her control now they had to refine. They’d had some dark days between them and Logan had begrudgingly admitted that Scott wasn’t a complete idiot, even though he sometimes treated Logan like one.

He met up with Marie outside their front door, locking up the cabin Logan set the security system going and turned to Marie, her face unreadable for a moment. Turning to look at him her arms crossed over her stomach and a determined look in her eye, “I think the third week in July don’t you? That’ll give people just over a month to get used to the idea.” Logan did a quick double take and saw a look that meant he’d better figure this out quickly.
“What for?”

The temperature dropped a few degrees between them and he noticed Marie playing with the finger of her left hand. Understanding fired across his brain and he turned toward the mansion a hint of a smile on his lips hidden from Marie. “Well I know we said we wouldn’t have a large housewarming but I’m sure I could find us some extra meat if need be.” He heard her heartbeat increase and her scent spiked with anger her breath and her mouth opened to give him what for when he added, “But we could do both when we have the wedding up here.”

Turning he saw all the wind drop out of her sails and the smile that lodged in her eyes crept onto her face. Unwrapping her arms she flung them around his tight body, nestling into him and making his throat purr with her touch.
“I love you.” The simple words never seemed enough to express how he felt but when he heard them fall from Marie’s lips they made the world seem right. Kissing her deeply Logan pulled her into him, his body reacting to her closeness. “Uh Logan.”
“Mmmm?” Holding her next to him and wondering how much time they had before someone would come and disturb them and if they had enough time to christen the deck out back.
“Scott’s coming up with Bobby and Paul, they look like they’ve brought the new security system you asked for.” Logan was still concentrating on her curves until she showed him a mental picture of him and her being interrupted by Scott, Bobby and Paul. It was like a splash of cold water on his dick and he snapped his attention round to the three figures walking up the path. Damn why did they always have to be on time, couldn’t they be late for once?

Marie was already welcoming them with a wave and he could see the blush on Scott’s face from here, he’d seen the embrace they’d been in. Pulling away a little Marie went to meet them and Logan followed her, this meant they’d be apart most of the day now, Logan knew Marie would go down and get the women started on the joint celebration. While he got the new security system fitted and tested with help, this evening he had the survival class so he’d be out all night. No chance of getting any relief from the ache in his groin, sucking it up he waited to meet his friends as Marie wandered back to the mansion, a happy glow surrounding her. Watching her walk away Logan suddenly felt a spike of panic and called out to Bobby, “Hey Freezer Burn! Make sure she gets back okay or I’ll turn the heating up in your room!” Smiling Bobby broke away from the other two and handed his packages to Paul and Scott. Saluting Logan he ran back to catch up with Marie, seeing her turn and stick her arm out to Bobby as they walked back arm in arm. Scott made his way to Logan and smiled at the sight of Marie and Bobby walking back to the mansion.

“Not every man would give his pregnant wife to the ex boyfriend.” Logan smiled a cold smile to Scott.
“Yeah but not every man is me and Freezer Burn knows if he touches her nothing is ever going to save him. Besides she’s mine and everyone knows it.” Scott laughed and shook his head.
“I’m sure we do Logan but sometimes I wish you’d live in the 21st century not the 19th.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?” His mind was on the boxes that Paul was undoing, looking at the deceptively small pieces of equipment.
“That perhaps Rogue would like to be married before she gives birth?” The tone of Scott’s voice showing his concern at the state of things and Logan was going to love the look on his face when he told him what was coming up.
“Well yeah we’ve discussed it but I think it’s a big expense for not much apart from a piece of paper and a ring. I can buy her a ring anytime and as for the paper I don’t hold much faith in it, she’s carrying my kid and that’s good enough for me.” He could feel Scott winding up and he noticed his hands flex as he unpacked the other boxes outside the front door, Logan let Scott choose his words and open his mouth before he carried on. “Besides Scooter, we’re doing it next month, same time as the housewarming, makes sense don’t ya think?”

He winked then and opened the door, taking the new system with him, Paul following behind leaving a frustrated and out manourvered Scott. Hearing Scott just blow out the breath he’d been holding and walking in with the rest of the equipment, putting it down on the empty floor Scott looked at Logan’s grin.
“I just hope you know what you’re letting yourself in for, there’s Jubilee, Kitty, Damask, Ororo, Betty, Katherine, Anne? All of these women are going to be in on this Logan, I mean we all remember the last party the women organised?” It had been a social dance and the men had been roped into doing all sorts of things that had meant the reordering of the entire school schedule for a week. The depth of it hit him and Logan looked at Scott, both of their faces showing the pain that had just been unleashed upon the male population of the school.

Bobby chose that moment to run in and lock the door, his nerves showing by the fact he’d frosted the brass handle. Looking at Logan his pale face spoke for him, “You could have warned me Logan! I walked into a trap down there, all the women were sat round waiting for her, it was as if they knew. I walked into a planning session that would put The Brotherhood to shame! They’ve even got the colours worked out for the dresses, when she walked in Jube’s just asked ‘He agreed?’ and she just nodded. I’m surprised you didn’t hear her from here it was that loud, jeez Logan I’m glad it’s not me going down the aisle with her, she’s too crafty for her own good.”

Logan just laughed his rich timbre filling the room and echoing around the ceiling as he worked out what the cloth was for, it was for their wedding. Summer weddings need light material and she was going for tradition, the best cotton she could find, she was practical like him. Marie didn’t want the whole silk and meringue dress especially as she’d be seven months gone by the time they tied the knot. Looking at Bobby and seeing the other two pale as they realised what was coming he couldn’t help but feel sorry for them the women tended to go a little gaga after a wedding. Expecting their significant others to be more attentive and loving, casting a look at Scott Logan spoke, “Fancy making it a double?” seeing the colour drain away completely from Scott’s face Logan laughed hard, tears coming unbidden into his eyes.

Bobby piped up, “Hey do you think we should warn Peiter? I mean Damask is down there in the middle of all this.” The thought of Damask cornering the huge man made Logan crease even further and he just shook his head.
“Nah he’ll learn, you ought to be worried about Jubilee, she’s got her sights set on the ‘perfect wedding’ bub, though god knows what that is to her.” Scott chimed in.
“Knowing Jubilee it’ll be something loud and colourful no matter what it is.” Bobby looked as if he’d just been pole-axed as he slid to the floor.
“Oh God, the stuff she brought back last week.” Bobby hung his head and sighed out heavily, Paul finally speaking up a smile on his face.
“Well why don’t you all get it over and done with at once, that way the expense is covered by everyone. And if you show them that your willing to go through with it at least half of them won’t go through with it but it’ll reassure them that you still want to be with them and ease your discomfort afterward.”

The thing was it made an odd kind of sense in some way, if it worked the wedding would be split between Jean, Scott and Marie. It’d end the gossip mongers fun and solidify their positions with each other, the guys would be able to show their own women that they thought more of them than they thought they did at the moment. If they did want to get hitched which Logan doubted they could always get a blessing first then work out the details afterward. Looking at Paul who had the new system in his hands and was putting the delicate pieces together looked up at the three faces looking at him. “What?”

Scott was the first to speak. “Damn when did you get so smart about women?” Paul shrugged and handed Scott the first completed part.
Bobby was next. “He’s got a point there though, it’d make life easier.” Everyone looked at him and Bobby wilted a little under the glare, “I mean if it works out the way we hope it will everyone wins.”

Scott interjected and his face became thoughtful. “We need a plan.” Scott looked at the piece of machinery in his hand, “Something simple but complex, something they’ll have trouble working out.”

Logan shook his head walking into the kitchen to put the coffee on, this was going to take time and somehow he knew he’d be roped into it. Going back into the large room he saw Scott drawing in the dust of the floor, as if using tactics would ever win over women. Shaking his head he just let them get on with it, they’d tell him when they’d worked it out and the women would be all over it and find a way through it before they’d even finished here today. Sometimes he wondered how stupid men could be but then even he’d been surprised today by Marie.

He’d known she wanted to get married but he’d been waiting for her to tell him when she was ready and she had done. She’d let him plod along until she was ready and now it turns out she’d been planning all along, just like he had with the house. They’d both been planning for the future in their own way, patting the sturdy wall Logan went to pour the coffee. It was going to be a long day and he was sure they were going to need the strong stuff today.

*********************************************************

The security system was finally in and sorted just before dinner, the arguments had been quick and quiet for once. The threat of a massive feminine take over was in the air and they’d all decided to band together in the interests of safety. They could handle their own partners when they were alone, it was only when they grouped together they became a threat. Love had a nasty way of getting you to do things you really didn’t want to do, Logan had been on the end of several of these already. Now it was every other partnered man’s turn when they all arrived for dinner the table was clear and the looks of pure innocence would have fooled anyone but the men it was for. Ororo was snuggled upto Kurt, her fingers wrapped around his and he was nervously playing with the new iron cross he had on his waistcoat. Even Peiter was looking a little disturbed by the way Damask was almost sitting in his lap.

Weddings had that effect on women, not that he’d seen that many in his lifetime, but he’d heard the conversations in the rec room often enough about the way things should be done. The whole idea of romance wasn’t completely lost on Logan, he understood that women needed to feel wanted, needed, special. Hell who didn’t, it was just they had different ideas from men that’s all, his idea was a night alone with Marie, a good hockey game and a never ending supply of cold beer. Marie’s idea of a romantic night had been quite easy, just him, a bed and a door that locked.

She was easy to please but someone like Ororo had very different ideas of romance, he just hoped Kurt was upto it. Damask had bought into the whole hearts and flowers routine which Peiter did encourage in his own way, the quiet Russian was a romantic at heart. He’d do anything to keep Damask happy and she’d bloomed while she’d been here, her mutation was under control but occasionally everyone on the top floor got a dose of what Ororo had called ‘Natures Aphrodisiac’. Logan had wondered how Hank had coped with it but he’d never had the chance to ask him, looking around the dining room he didn’t see him and Marie squeezed his hand as he sat down next to her. Her eyes were sparkling and she was full of plans and ideas, he’d go find him after dinner before he went outside. Smiling at the confused faces of the men around him Logan got started on his dinner, trying to drown out the feeling that something was wrong. That by the end of the night everything would be different and not all in a good way either.

*********************************************************

Hank was sat in the medical bay, his plate next to him untouched and the room reeked of the cold food. “Hank?” Logan could feel the tension in the air even as he’d walked out of the elevator, there was something wrong and he had a nasty feeling he knew what it was. “Can I talk to you a second?” Logan watched Hank slowly straighten up and turn to face him on the seat, as Hank turned he could see that Hank had been crying down here, all alone again. Shutting the door behind him Logan locked it and nodded to the camera in the far corner, when they talked about things between them they always turned off the recording devices it was easier for the both of them. The little red light went off and Logan let out the breath he’d been holding in without realising.

“Hank I’m sorry I didn’t know,” Hank just held up his large hand to Logan and Logan went quiet. Seeing the large man take a breath and calm his mind before speaking.
“I understand Logan I do. Rogue needs you and she deserves to have her day with you, her life with you.” The last few words were broken by pain that Hank couldn’t keep out of his voice, Logan felt the knife slide into his chest with the pain in his lover. He hadn’t meant to fall in love with him, he hadn’t meant to lead Hank on into anything but the mutual release he’d first offered him. But life takes odd turns and Logan had found himself in love with Hank, it wasn’t the same as the love he felt for Marie but it was love of that he was certain. He had a partner in Hank, he filled one side of him a side he wondered had even existed until Hank had reopened it.

There was a tightness in his chest as he looked at Hank, feeling his body betray him again as Hank moved toward him, knowing he wanted to touch him, to taste him to take the pain away he’d caused him.
“I’m so sorry Hank.” Feeling Hank wrap his large frame around him holding tight as Logan wound his fingers through the large deep expanse of fur on his back. “Oh God Hank I never meant…” Hank just held him and rocked backwards and forwards with him.
“I know, I know but we can’t see where our hearts take us until it’s too late.” Hank stepped away so Logan could see his face, his amber eyes were sparkling with tears, even though he understood the reasons why, it didn’t make it hurt any less. “We had fun but you’re getting married to a wonderful woman and she deserves better Logan you know that.” Hank’s scent deepened and Logan caught the undercurrent of stress in it. “She came down here earlier.” Logan’s breath stilled in his throat as Hank continued, “She wants me to be best man. I haven’t answered her yet but if I refuse she’ll think there’s something wrong won’t she?” Logan just nodded as he worked out what Hank was going to ask him next and beat him to it.

“I didn’t tell her Hank, I haven’t told her since you helped me in ‘the motel’ down here. She doesn’t know.” The tension running through Hank was reverberating through his fur, his breathing sped up and he listened to the intake of breath and the words coming from Hank.
“Why not? Logan you said you’d be up front with her always! Why not!” Logan lifted his face into Hank’s concerned one, as if he wasn’t the problem as if the animal Logan felt he was wasn’t to blame for causing Hank pain.

“Because I love you! I love you and I love her but I can’t do that can I? I’m not supposed to do that I’m not supposed to feel what I need with you, what Wolverine needs from you, how calm it makes me, how much easier it is to deal with when your with me. Like when things are easier to deal with when Marie holds me after a nightmare or I fuck up some social graces thing. I need you Hank but I can’t have you and her, if I told her she’d leave me, she’d hate me Hank and I need you. Oh Jesus why do I always fuck things up?”

Hank watched the man he loved fall apart, truly seeing things from Logan’s view he understood why Logan hadn’t told Marie about New York. Not even Charles had told her about the reason he’d sent Logan to go and get Hank, all he’d said was that Hank had gotten into trouble and the only person who would survive it was Logan. But they’d been together since then, several times even down here in the med bay, he’d wiped the tapes of course but it had been regular. The last major encounter had been in his room the day Marie had gone away, the day he’d sought Logan out. It struck Hank then, he was the one in control of this, he could say no and keep Logan away from him, after all he was the one who initiated most contact between them. “Logan.”

Lifting his head Logan met the calm amber stare and knew in his heart what was coming and he began to shake his head, refusing to hear it. “Logan it’s for the best, you have a wonderful woman who loves you with all her heart and you have a baby girl on the way. If anyone has something to be sorry for it’s me, I should never have let you find me in New York, never should have used you like that.” Silent tears were falling from Logan and Hank resisted the urge to wipe them away, making his voice a little colder he continued.
“You have her Logan and I’m not going to let you throw it away over me.” Meeting Logan’s eyes Hank saw the flash of darkness surface, The Wolverine showing himself to Hank. “I don’t want you to touch me anymore Logan, I’ll talk to you, but from now on I’m not going to be alone with you. It’s better for all of us, Marie especially.”

Looking at the clock on the wall Hank noticed the time, “You have a class meeting you in the main hallway in ten minutes, I suggest you get what you need and set out.” Hank let go of him then and turned his back on him, trying to keep his own emotions in check, trying to help him by being the bastard Logan couldn’t be. Sitting back down on his seat, Hank picked up a cold chicken leg and ate the meat. Listening to the sound of Logan unlocking the door and walking silently away didn’t help return any flavour to the ashes in his mouth as the tears clouded his vision adding salt to his meal.

*********************************************************

Logan prowled around, snapping orders left and right at the students gathered in the main hallway, several of the kids were already upset and were frightened of him. Sensing the building fear in them he stopped and took a good look at the group in front of him. There were a lot of the younger kids here and the way he was feeling it wasn’t a good time to send them out. Quickly he halved the group, sending the younger set to set up camp on the field outside the sports hall. Logan explained that he wanted them to be inconspicuous from the ridge above. That meant camouflage and lots of it, he’d been looking in on them later and they were close enough to the house to be heard if things went a little pear shaped. Sending one kid off to tell Cyclops the change in plans, that he’d be down to check on them later he set out with the rest of his group. Trying to squash the anger that was burning up inside him, not seeing Katherine narrow her eyes as she watched the emotions running across his body and telegraphing themselves to her. Smiling to herself as they set out up the trail to the camp site, knowing that she’d be seeing something of the wilderness herself later. She just hoped her instructor was upto it.

The pain he’d been feeling didn’t recede any when he was walking ahead of the kids, he made enough noise to scare off any animals that were still around. The night was coming on and he looked at the watch on his wrist, 9.18pm, sundown was at 9.25pm and the late evening would still make it easy to see until around 10pm. Seeing the campsite ahead he waited for the group of twelve youngsters, they passed him in silence and carried on to the site, he’d drilled into them that they should be quiet whenever they were out of bounds. They never knew who was around and who was watching them a little paranoia was good for their instincts at this stage.

Watching as they quickly set up the tents, got the fire pit organised and sorted out a latrine, it was 9.45pm when they’d finished work. Looking over the small camp Logan was slightly impressed, they had everything neat, tidy, set aside their emergency equipment which they had brought with them without him telling them. No food was allowed and they’d be foraging in the morning to get breakfast, seeing a small brown construction on the edge of the camp Logan went over to have a look at who it was.

Katherine was just finishing her shelter, the hazel rods had been light to carry and the two poles had been useful in helping her up the slope. She’d positioned it so she would get the benefit of heat and shelter from the other tents around her but it would be hard to see if you weren’t looking for it. Her ground sloped down and the entrance to her shelter had a little lip on it to keep out water, a grudging smile found its way onto his face. “Why did you put yourself here?” Katherine looked up into Logan’s face and didn’t answer him, she carried on pulling the tarp taught and pegging it down. When she’d finished she reached up into the branches of the tree she’d put herself next to and pulled a little apple out of it and ate it, her face smiling at him and walking toward the fire.

Katherine always managed to answer things without speaking, Logan noticed this as if words were something she saved. Oh he’d heard her talk but never in long sentences, as if she was reluctant to open her mouth. Logan looked at the place she’d put herself in, there was a apple tree just above her shelter on the right, on her left a large conifer, behind her shelter was a small pine. If anyone tried to come behind her shelter she’d smell and hear them, to the left the conifer would smell and make noise. The only other route available was straight ahead or the right, looking at the apple tree Logan almost fell in the large root hole. That’s why she’d picked it, plus she had food when she needed it without having to move far, she was clever, cunning almost and he watched the other students reactions to her having food. No one noticed, not a single one of them noticed her eat the small apple in her covered hand, she did it carefully and swallowed each bite slowly. Watching Katherine Logan wondered exactly where she’d come from, Anne had told him she came from England a refugee. It hadn’t seemed odd to him at the time but now it did, she could survive well enough without his training and maybe she knew something the rest of the class didn’t.

The fire was beginning to take and Katherine had put herself in charge of it, stacking wood next to the heat to dry it further. Anne was next to her and they all looked a little nervous when he strode back into the centre of the camp, clearing his throat he began. “Right you all know why you’re out here tonight, this is the first of a on going series of nights out here. When you leave Xavier’s you’ll be able to survive out in the wilds for at least a week if not more. I know it’s not what any of you expect to be using, but we never thought the Mutant Registration act would rear its ugly head again. So YOU WILL be graded on each trip out and if I believe you’re not getting the message you’ll be carrying this on into the winter as well as normal lessons. DO I make myself clear?”

There was a series of nods and ‘yes’s’ around the campfire, Katherine had her head down stacking the firewood and Logan’s temper peaked. “KATHERINE!” Slowly her head raised itself and she met his gaze full on with no sign of fear or upset, “Do you understand what I just said?” His voice low and cruel in the approaching dark, she seemed to mull it over and nodded, her smile never leaving her eyes. “Would you mind repeating it for those who didn’t understand me the first time?” Katherine shook her head and cleared her throat, her voice quiet but rich in tone, older than her years.
“You fail to learn you die.” Her gaze pinning everyone around the fire and Logan noticed the words sinking into them faster than he ever could have told them. She looked back at Logan with a smile on her face, a deep gaze hitting his own insides. Her eyes a dark mix of green and grey, forest colours as if she belonged here.

Snapping his gaze around the campfire Logan checked everyone’s tent or shelter before he headed off to check on the rest of the youngsters below. Finding his mood had mellowed somewhat, actually beginning to enjoy the night outdoors as the heat from the day dissipated, seeing the kids settling down into comfortable positions Logan decided to challenge them a little.
“Okay, the lights fading fast and I want you to have at least three items of edible food for me when I get back to see you at 11.”

Logan watched them as they split up into teams and went off into the woods around them, Katherine stayed put next to the fire. Annoyed Logan looked at her until she noticed he hadn’t left, “Aren’t you going to find something to eat?” His face telling her he was annoyed at her, brushing off her hands she got up, her frame built for the outdoors she scanned the ground. Seeing what she wanted she pulled up a handful of plants, dug down and pulled the tubers out. Reaching up to the apple tree she pulled down three apples, going under the pine she pulled out several tightly wrapped cones and sat back down. Brushing her hands clean with some pine branches she took the tubers brushed off the dirt with the pine needles putting them next to the ashes to cook. Taking the leaves Katherine looked for the water bottle and quickly washed them, checking for damage and disease. Tearing into them with her teeth and chewing the raw vegetable, she offered Logan an apple. Putting the pine cones next to the fire to dry a little so they’d open up so she could get at the nuts inside.

Logan took the small bitter apple and tried not to feel like an idiot, the rest of his class was doing well but they’d missed everything Katherine had found right next to where she was. Looking at Katherine her eyes drawn to the fire, reflecting in the silver grey that was already salting her hair, he was about to say something when someone cried out. Dropping the apple Logan ran to see what had happened, not seeing Katherine pick it back up and pocket the apple Logan had held in his hand being careful not to touch it with her own skin. Smiling to herself as she ate her supper as the rest of the class trouped back to the fire with their goodies.

It was Robert, a kid who always seemed to be in the midst’s of trouble no matter where he was, when he’d been doing shop with Scott he’d managed to destroy an engine by touching it. Everyone was beginning to think he had an extra power of ‘Jonah’ the one who managed to destroy anything he touched. When Logan got there Robert was rubbing his head and several of the other kids were laughing, when Logan appeared the laughter quickly stopped. “What happened?” Anne found the courage to speak to him, meeting Logan’s angry stare.

“Robert fell down a rabbit hole, he wasn’t looking where he was going.” Everyone looked okay and the other kids were filing back to the fire, Robert just stood there looking stupid with his foot in a hole.
“Get back to camp and Robert your doing this again, next week, alone.” Everyone heard that and the way back to the fire was quiet and very, very carefully picked. Logan quickly did a head count and found one missing, looking at the faces it came to him who was missing, Katherine. “Has anyone seen Katherine?” The shaking heads around him made his blood boil, they didn’t notice anything that wasn’t in front of them and it was beginning to try his patience, what little he had.

Rustling from her shelter got his attention and Katherine came out of the dark mouth of it, she’d been making her mattress with conifer branches, seeing everyone looking at her she just carried on and got her bed ready. Growling low now Logan cast his gaze over everyone and decided to share the bad news with them all. Seeing Katherine had finished her bed he motioned for her to come out and join them round the fire. “Right well after this little show how of much you’ve learned in the few sessions we’ve done obviously you’ve been treating it as a game. Well from now on none of you will be eating from the kitchens, you’ll be eating from the woods.” The chorus of gasps and pale faces that met that comment made Logan smile, looking at Katherine he nodded at her as he spoke. “Katherine found three sources of food right inside the camp site while you were blundering around in the dark making enough noise to scare any game away. Show them Katherine.”

Slowly and purposefully she moved over to the side of one tent and pulled up a bunch of dandelions and roots, next to it was a curled dock and nettle. Just to the right of the camp entrance was a lime tree in full bloom, Katherine went and picked a handful of the small sweet flowers. At the back of the camp was a mulberry and bramble her hands made quick work in the bushes and came back with the green fruits of both. Passing just outside the edge of the firelight she came back with a large handful of what smelled like garlic and peas. Sitting back down Katherine slowly and surely prepared each thing and Logan watched her hands, passing around the food so each person had a taste of what it was. Seeing a few faces screw up in distaste he put his own comments forward, “If you’d paid attention in botany class with Storm you’d have seen all these right next to your tents. You can bet that I’ll be telling Storm to review the lesson plans and you’ll all be doing a revised lesson over the summer.”

He looked at Katherine who was pulling out the now cooked tubers, passing them around, making eye contact with her for a second Logan saw her eyes narrow a little and look away as if she was angry with him. Turning away from the group he checked the sky and his watch, 10.38pm time to check on the other group. “I’ll be back later and I want to see someone on guard duty when I do come back, pick the rotation out amongst yourselves but make it even.” With that he left them to themselves, going back down through the night filled forest to the field and the younger students.

*********************************************************

Their camp was beautiful, looking from the ridge it looked like a garden bed of plants, they’d managed to camouflage everything even the small fire in the centre. Logan was surprisingly pleased with their efforts and allowed them to raid the small kitchen in the sports hall for food. Being younger he’d expected them to be more difficult but they seemed to grasp the situation quicker and easier than the older students, this was survival, it mattered and they’d learned fast. Logan spent time making sure the shelters were waterproof and secure before letting them settle down to sleep, looking over at the mansion he caught the shine of Scott’s glasses watching them all. Raising a hand to him Logan saw the return wave as he set out across the field back to the ridge and his older class.

*********************************************************

Midnight had come and gone by the time he got up there, the fire was banked and low, the sounds of sleep were all around and yet there was no guard on duty. Next to the fire was a tin with water in it and a sweet smell came from it, walking over to the tin Logan couched down to look in it. Finding something sharp poking him in the ribs when he tried to move, taking a breath he took in the scent of the forest and nothing else. Trusting his instincts he spoke, “If you’re going to use that Katherine use it, don’t just threaten someone who walks into your camp.” Turning to look at the girl holding the sharp stick he noticed it had something very nasty on the end of it, the smell reaching him as it moved in the still air. Her eyes were calm and she just moved the spear away from him and sat down next to the fire, her gaze never leaving him. As if he was still a threat, still an unknown quantity to her and it annoyed him, “If I wanted to hurt you kid I’d have done that by now.”

Logan watched as she thought it over, finally relaxing she put the spear down, but not out of easy reach. She studied his face and frowned, her mouth finally opening to speak to him after a few minutes scrutiny.
“Why do you deny what you are?” The tone of her words reaching into him and pulling on strings he thought only Marie could reach, her gaze pinning him to the truth of the matter.
“I don’t, it’s just hard to be human.” Katherine nodded and smiled to herself at his answer.
“You have no idea have you?” Logan felt out of his depth here, the conversation was one that made him uncomfortable but it was something of a rarity. Katherine rarely spoke to anyone for any length of time and the incident with the tree sprang forward in his mind.

“How did you know about the tree that day?” Katherine looked at the fire and smiled a secret smile to herself and flicked her gaze up at Logan, the look one he didn’t recognise.
“It told me.” The simple answer flummoxed him.
“It ‘told’ you,” the smile on his face already mocking her but she didn’t stop smiling as he began to laugh. “So what’s your gift then? You can communicate to plants is that it?” Smiling as he waited for her answer, she fed the fire and built it high so the sparks were flying above into the sky.
“I’m not a mutant, I’m different.” Her gaze pinned him and he felt the humour drain from him, senses suddenly acutely aware of her across the fire from him. Katherine looked into the fire and her hair caught the shine of the flames making it sparkle amber in the light. “I’m like Wayland, I just am. There’s nothing to define me apart from what I do. I just know things, the right things for those who need them.”

Katherine looked over at the tents and pointed to one, “Susan, she needs to learn love from someone who won’t judge her because of her looks. Anne needs to learn compassion for herself after all what happened to her wasn’t really her fault.” Logan’s face set when he heard her say that about Anne, he’d kept her secret and yet Katherine knew, had she told her too? “She didn’t tell me Logan, I just know. Like I know about you.”

She poked the fire before looking back at him, suddenly her gaze older beyond her years, “You, Hank and your past. The animal that you are and the reasons you fear it.” Cold went through Logan at her words and the strange woman/child smiled at him her teeth a little elongated as she smiled. “Don’t you understand Logan, we’re all animals underneath the skin. Just that some of us understand it and welcome it. You fight it too much and he hurts you because of it, we’re all in two pieces Logan it’s about balance that’s all.”

Her face seemed to change in the haze of the fire, the teeth elongated, her skin darkened and fur sprouted, her shape wavering until it settled on a familiar one he’d seen before. The beta of the wolf pack, the one with the white sides to its’ head, he could smell it, the fur was alive and he stayed absolutely still as it moved toward him. Firelight reflected off the forest grey/green eyes as she passed, their depths filled with something that tugged at the heart of him. Inside Logan felt Wolverine rising, giving him permission to slip the bonds of humanity for a while, shaking off his shirts and shoes he followed her form into the forest. Free to be himself for a while, to be the animal he was inside, trusting instinct here as she pulled him deeper into the forest, deeper into the past of himself.

*********************************************************

Running, he was running following a creature that pulled him along by scent, the rich heady mixture firing everything he was, everything he convinced himself he wasn’t. Using his huge bulk to fly through the leafy undergrowth, his strong hands gripping the trees easily as Hank swung between them. Claws tearing through the bark of the trees as he fought to find the scent and track the sound of the thing that drew him onward. Catching a glimpse of dark skin ahead of his gaze, drawing a growl out of his throat, pulling himself toward the goal just ahead of him. Knowing in his blood it wouldn’t be long till he had what he needed in his hands.

*********************************************************

Logan followed the wolf, going deeper into the forest, into a place he’d never seen before, he’d walked the entire range of the grounds but he’d never seen this place before. A natural ring of trees and a central dip, the wolf went inside and when Logan reached the lip Katherine was stood there. Her eyes alive and bright in the darkness, reflecting the light of the stars, it didn’t surprise him, it was as if he’d known she’d be there. Breathing steadily Logan dropped into the dip and Katherine walked upto him, her scent reaching him for the first time. Scenting of the forest, of the earth, it’s fruit, the scent of pure water, the breath of the forests, of creatures unseen but noticed. Her hands lifted to Logan’s head and she gripped him tightly, making him see her face, her eyes, their fire burning into his own. “Do you understand Logan? Do you see what I am, what you are? What Hank is?”

The deep scent of Hank flooded the small space and Logan tried to turn his head but Katherine held him tight, looking at her, her strength more than his. “He is what you *need* and nothing more Logan. You’re not an animal because you take it, you’re an animal because you try to deny it. Let me show you what you are.” Pulling his face down to hers, Katherine kissed him lightly, the current that passed through his skin into his body almost sending him into spasm. Hands clutching her solid frame to steady himself, there was no sexual feeling here, only a tingle of energy that filled his body. Pulling herself away from him his eyes saw her again, a mixture of human and animal, something different, something strange.

“Now you see me as I am, who I am. Look at yourself Logan, see the Wolverine you hide, the beast you fear.” Looking down at himself Logan saw the body he knew but there were differences, his skin was hairier, his legs were stronger, more muscular. His hands were spread large as his claws slid free, bone not metal and his eyes took in the differences. It felt ‘right’, running his hands up his body he could feel the scars all over him, every single wound he’d ever had was there. As if Wolverine kept them in this form, knew each piece of pain he’d gone through, lifting his hands to his face he traced the scars across it. Knowing he was a patchwork of scar tissue, the times he’d been beaten bloody, the cuts he’d endured, the pain of the operations on him were all there to see. Katherine reached out her changed hand to touch him, the rough skin of her palm grazing over his face flattening the scars out.

“You remember them but Wolverine wears them Logan. You are one and the same just as Hank is a man and a Beast.” Her gaze moving to Hank who was still on the top of the rise looking down at them both, Logan followed it his breath halting as he did so. Hank looked like a god out of an old fable, a mixture of human and animal, his body split between the two. His head and torso human with a few pieces of animal like his teeth but the lower half of him all animal. Katherine’s voice reaching into Logan and making him understand what she was showing him, “Do you see Logan? There is no difference between you or me, no difference between you and Hank, no difference between you and Marie. We are all animals Logan including me.”

Offering her hand to Hank Logan watched as he walked down toward her, taking her in his grip Hank lifted her to him. Pulling her into an embrace that fired Logan’s senses, scenting her need for him, to be taken by the animal in him. Watching her grind against Hank, Logan’s own body began to respond to the sight of her, the scent of her arousal filling the round. Her need to be touched, held, loved, filling the whole world and Logan felt the rush of desire course through him. He needed to touch her, to taste her, to have her, it didn’t matter who she was or how old she was it was a matter of need. Of drive, that’s all it was and Logan let go of his mind losing himself in the need to touch, taste and feel.

*********************************************************

She was there, Hank saw her touch the other male and his body spiked in reaction, she was his! How could she do that, how could she touch him yet underneath he knew there was a reason, there was a sense to her touch. When her hand lifted to him his heart soared and he joined her, picking her up and pulling her into his embrace lifting her so he could wrap her around him. Her fur tickling his chest as he touched her, kissed her, feeling her body writhe against his making him groan with want for her. When the other male touched her body he almost growled but she calmed him, touching his erection with her rough palm and sliding down it, her mouth whispering in his ear. “Remember Hank, wake and remember me.”

Shaking his head clear Hank blinked and found himself holding Logan, a very aroused and horny Logan. His body was covered in scars, the feel of them under his fingers making Hank harder, realising who he was holding. Bringing up Logan’s head, Hank saw the mixture of the two men for the first time and breathed in the combined scent of the two halves. Growling in his chest Hank pulled Logan/Wolverine into his lips and devoured him, holding on tightly to him as he ground himself into his fur.

Just as he touched her back he heard her voice reach him, her body rubbing up against his jeans and making him hard instantly. “Take it Logan, show him who you are inside, not an animal not a man but both, I’ll be waiting for you when you return.” Then she was gone, slipped out from between them and he found Hanks lips on his, pulling him closer into the fur of his body. Feeling his fingers trace over the scars of his skin and scenting Hank’s arousal deepen, pulling his body into Hank’s and rubbing Hank’s already large erection against his own he heard Hank growl out his name. “Logan!”

Pushing away quickly Logan shed his jeans, standing naked he saw Hank stroking himself, the image of him flickering between the two, the furred lover and the old god. Knowing in his heart he wanted them both, just as much as Hank wanted him. They just looked at each other for a moment before they touched, before they lost everything in the desire and need they felt. Taking in the truth of each other, the shape of each other before it faded into what they were in reality, each understanding what had been given and shown. They were right together, they did fit together, they were equal in more ways than one and yet it would always be there no matter what happened to either of them. Logan understood what Katherine had said to him now, he was an animal and he should find pride in it, not be ashamed of it. Hank was the same as he was, just as much as Scott, Bobby and the rest of them were, there was no difference, the only one who’d put it there was him.

“Hank,” his voice low and his need obvious Hank watched Logan as he walked toward him, he wouldn’t, couldn’t deny him. No matter what happened he couldn’t deny him his touch, his kisses, his hands ached to touch him, his body yearned to feel his warm skin next to his fur. They would meet again, not as often but they would meet again and when they did they’d be like this, all need, all desire, honest and truthful to each other. Back to how it used to be when they first started this, without the human emotions getting involved, back to the base of it, back to need. Logan moved first and Hank met him halfway, their bodies quickly intertwining, hands grasping kneading the flesh under their tight grips, drowning in want as they both chased the need coursing through their veins.

Looking down at them both Katherine smiled to herself, it was never easy doing what she did, she only hoped that Logan would come back to camp before morning, she had an itch she needed him to scratch for her. Smiling to herself she slipped away into the forest leaving the lovers to their play.

Hank picked Logan’s body up and opened him, wrapping his legs around Hank’s waist he readied himself for the first thrust into him. When it arrived Logan howled out in pleasure, the sensations and feelings were amplified somehow, hearing Hank growl and grit his teeth as he buried himself in him. Knowing he was feeling the same flooding of emotion, of sensation, as if his whole body was alive with electricity. Pushing against Hank Logan shifted his hips and felt the explosion of sensation run through him, the nerves in his body screaming for release but he couldn’t yet.

Hank moved him, pulling him down slowly and hard, thrusting into his body, seeing Logan’s eyes open wide and his mouth pull toward Hanks own. The kiss that they shared set their minds and bodies aflame, each one firing the other to new heights of sensation, of feeling. As if they couldn’t get enough of the other their bodies creating the need in each other, fuelling the desire, the sensations and emotions within them. Hank’s hips pistoning upward into Logan, each deep thrust making Logan moan, his voice gaining in height with each one. Words falling from his lips as Hank plundered him, “Fuck me Hank, make me yours. Jesus Fucking Christ I need you, I love you!” Each time he spoke Hank pushed harder deeper into his body, the words driving Hank closer and closer to his peak. Seeing Hank’s pupils dilate Logan pulled his lips to his growling out into his mouth, “I need you Hank, I love to feel your dick in me, fucking me, making me yours. Come for me Hank, come in me.” Feeling his body tensing Logan gripped him internally, “Come for me Hank, now! Come for me now!” Finally Hank felt the release he’d been chasing, his nerves almost overloaded with pleasure, the words falling from his lovers lips driving him insane with desire.

Pulling Logan down hard as he filled him sensing Logan’s frustration and his need to follow him into bliss, Hank sank his teeth into the solid neck in front of him. The roar of Logan’s voice filled the night as he came into Hank’s fur, his body shifting as he pulsed into his fur, breath hot and heavy as he pulled Hank’s head from his neck and kissed him hard. Running his tongue around Hank’s bloodstained mouth and tasting his own blood in the warmth of Hank’s mouth. Pulling away Logan found Hank’s eyes burning into his own. Hank’s voice deep “I love you Logan, I need you and I’ll always want you.” He pulled Logan down as he said it and ground his fur against Logan’s skin, making Logan hiss with pleasure. Eyes wild and body humming with the energy he’d poured into him, “I’ll be here Hank, I’ll be here.” Knowing that he meant every word and it meant as much as the vows he was going to take with Marie, they’d stand strong and he’d keep his word.

It was as if they’d been shown the truth beneath the things they’d been searching for, wrapping each other in titles and lines, when neither of them worked that way. They had something that went beyond the ideas of love and romance, this was possession, need, drive. Katherine was right when she said it was beyond what they both thought about, it wasn’t thought at all they’d clouded it by thinking and adding things that were never there in the first place. Hank was his mate and always would be, just as Logan would be his even when Hank was old and grey Logan would still visit him occasionally.

Feeling Hank unwrap his body from his own the night air suddenly filled with sounds and creatures that were absent until now. Putting his feet on the ground Logan held onto Hank and kissed him, throwing everything into it, showing him how much he needed him and yet it was agreed that their time would be separate now. They’d meet out here where they needed to be reminded of what it meant to the other, no longer would it involve beds or sheets. They were too human, too clean, too civilised they were about this, the night, the forest and the halves of their souls that reacted to it. Seeing the same in Hank’s eyes Logan smiled and let Hank go, dressing quickly Logan loped off to find Katherine. He had to make things straight with her, what ever had happened he needed to know it wouldn’t get out to the rest of the school. Smiling he bounded out of the ring of trees knowing he’d never be able to find them again, the scent of Katherine strong in the air guiding him back.

Hank watched as Logan left, his body still humming with the energy that had been passed between them both. Breathing deep Hank took in the scent of his lover, recalling the feelings that he’d experienced. He’d been dreaming and had awoken here with Logan in his arms and his body ready to fuck, he remembered parts of the dream. He’d wonder for years about how he managed to get outside without triggering the alarm system. Smiling to himself, Hank set out for home, knowing he would be climbing into his window tonight seeing as he was naked. Taking one last look at the circle of trees Hank’s mind threw up a picture of the Faerie Glen in Shakespeare in a Midsummer Nights Dream. Taking his leave with a bow Hank left the circle and headed for home, hearing the shrill laughter of tiny mouths behind him.

*********************************************************

Katherine’s scent diverted from the path she’d taken, a deeper richer scent had joined hers, one that reminded Logan of the deep forests of home. Dark earth mixed with blood and leaf mold, definitely masculine and it had chased Katherine’s own scent down. A small niggle of concern was playing in his mind as he approached the scents, there was no noise, no screams, nothing to alarm him but it still made him feel nervous. Creeping forward on his stomach Logan kept his body low and could see two pairs of feet, one Katherine’s one male both were bare. As he crept closer the scent hit him, sex, full on and loaded with promise catching a growl in his throat Logan crept forward. Katherine was still a minor he supposed but he’d never asked her age and whoever it was, was in for a nasty surprise when he stood up. Seeing Katherine’s feet come off the ground and hearing the grunt of a male throat Logan had heard enough and shot forward barrelling into the clearing, claws drawn and a snarl already on his lips.

The sight that met him was something out of a dream or nightmare, it depended on how you saw things. Katherine was being fucked by someone who was made entirely of leaves and branches, her clothes were scattered around the clearing and her face was showing the pleasure the creature was giving her. His claws entered the side of the creature but it didn’t slow its actions, all it did was hold onto Katherine and throw Logan aside. It’s eyes turning to find him as it’s head turned right round to look at him and laugh, Katherine’s eyes were tight shut as she fought to find her pleasure with the creature. She was speaking something, something that made the hairs on the back of Logan’s neck raise and an ache in his groin tighten needing to be released.

The thing turned it’s attention back to Katherine and held her as he finished fucking her, her voice following the thrusts. Raising in pitch as the creature neared its peak, watching from his crouch Logan saw Katherine’s eyes open wide as she spoke the final sentence. The concussion wave went out from them both knocking Logan to the floor for a second making his ears ring. When he came round again Katherine was alone, the leaves and branches nothing but a pile in front of her, the scent of blood and earth rich in and around her. Without saying a word she picked up her clothes and began to dress; Logan stunned into silence, his own clothes feeling tight and uncomfortable. Looking over to him she walked over half naked and held out a hand to him, pulling himself upward he caught the scent of her and found his body moving toward hers. A low growl in his throat as Katherine met his gaze and saw the hunger in him, taking his hands she put herself within them and held them there.

She was so close, he wanted her, he could scent how ready she was for him but he couldn’t move, couldn’t do it, she wasn’t Marie. Growling in frustration at the ache of his body of his soul but his mind wouldn’t allow him to, seeing a smile cross her face as she reached down and opened his jeans for him. Taking him in hand and feeling himself move into her grip, his hands digging into her hips as she moved along him. She didn’t kiss him, didn’t touch him apart from her hand on him, her throat making a soothing sound that echoed through him, calming the hunger inside him. Feeling himself concentrating on the sensations her hand was making on him, feeling her shift to the side of him when he began to pulse with the beginnings of his climax. The arc of his semen falling into the dark earth that had been the creature, a smile touching Katherine’s face as she milked the last few drops from him. Taking a leaf from her clothes she cleaned him and dropped it to the ground, tucking him away she placed a gentle chaste kiss on his cheek and finished dressing.

Logan stood stunned, what had happened? He remembered rushing into the clearing and seeing Katherine being fucked by something huge. Then he was being expertly brought to climax by her, then she just tucked him away as if it had been one of the most natural things in the world. Finally finding his voice he grabbed Katherine as she moved to pass him, “WHAT in God’s name was that?” Her gaze was all his as the false dawn showed itself, her face serious but a small half smile hiding at the corners of her mouth.

“He’s the forest Logan, the one who feeds you.” The words didn’t make sense to him on a logical level but he knew from his travels that the Native Indians in Canada had beliefs like this. Looking at the girl in his grip he narrowed his eyes, “WHAT are you?”
“Flesh and blood like you, nothing more; nothing less.” Her tone was one of a mother talking to a toddler, trying to explain why the world was round.
“What happened to me, why were you fucking that thing?” His grip increased and Katherine tore her arm away from his tight grip, her eyes were wary of him now and her scent was beginning to show a spike of fear.

“I told you he’s the forest and he needs it. Everyone takes but no one gives back, I gave. So did you.” Looking at the ground where his semen had fallen Logan finally made the jump.
“Magic? You were doing magic?” His voice weakened by the thought of it, he’d known a few shaman’s in his time up north, they’d been able to see more in him than he’d been willing to see and had written off their visions as delusions. Katherine smiled as if he’d finally understood.
“Call it what you like but it was needed and ‘we’ did it not just me. Your seed is on the ground too, the autumn will be good this year and spring will bring more animals. They were dying, I couldn’t ignore it.” Moving away from her Logan felt the world tilt as he struggled to comprehend what she was saying, taking a look at the sky she set off back toward camp, leaving Logan with more questions than answers.

*********************************************************

She beat him back and the rest of the camp was still asleep when he sat down in front of the fire and put the rest of his own clothes back on. He watched her from his seat and she seemed the same person but her eyes shone now, as if her encounter had given her something in return. “Why?” she didn’t look at him, she just fed the embers of the fire and made tea. Annoyed he repeated the question, “Why did you do that to me?” Finally able to answer him she looked at him head on and handed him a mug of linden tea.
“You were needed, you love this place, these woods. He needed you. I brought you. Same as Wayland, he needed you to see what you are so you could forget the pain and move on. You can’t do that with a baby you have to live in the now; not the past. Also you needed it.” The simple words had rung true to Logan, he had needed it, now he felt a little easier, more complete.

“What do you know about him?” Katherine smiled and sipped her tea, the new sun making her silver sparkle like dew.
“He’s been around since man first picked up a weapon and he’ll still be here when we’re all memories. She loved him too much.” Logan looked at her with a question on his mind and finally it sank in what the answer was.

“She should have let him die.” Katherine nodded and sipped her tea hearing her fellow classmates waking up, she stretched and drained her mug. As she passed him her hand touched his hair and Logan felt a sensual shudder pass through him, the scent of the woods in autumn filled him and made his head swim with it. Her eyes found his as she climbed into her shelter, looking like a creature herself as she curled up to sleep. Knowing he’d be seeing those eyes whenever he came into the forest alone, her gaze had been predatory and it had frightened him. Closing her eyes Logan watched her settle into sleep trying to get his mind around what had happened in the night. He remembered Hank, he remembered following the wolf that had been Katherine but if she was a shaman what the hell was she doing at Xavier’s? He’d be asking her more questions when they got back later, for now he had the rest of the camp to wake up.

Logan broke the camp early and sent nearly everyone home to write up what they’d learned, they’d be doing this again next week. Katherine was still asleep when everyone else left, Logan knew she’d survive a couple of hours alone and he wanted to talk to her on the way back. Quickly checking the younger children and seeing that they’d fared much better, Logan decided that they’d be a larger group next time and the older kids could learn some lessons from the younger kids. Heading back to the camp Logan saw Katherine pulling down her shelter, her eyes were red and the air around her was tinged with sorrow. He made no noise and just watched her as her shelter faded back into tarpaulin and sticks, finally finished Katherine saw him. A small tired smile was on her lips and she sat on the bundle that had been her shelter, “What?”
She never ceased to surprise him and he grinned at her forthrightness.
“What did you do last night?”
“I told you already.” Her eyes became defensive and she wiped a stray tear away.

Logan shook his head and his gaze intensified pinning her own. “I mean with Hank.” At the mention of Hank’s name Katherine nodded and bent her head.
“You fit, you were in pain and you both needed reminding what it was all about. Not love, not human things, blood and bone things. They don’t need excuses they just are.” Katherine got up to move but Logan got in her way and towered over her, his whole body humming with unexpressed emotion.
“Who are you? What are you? Why did you come here?” Logan’s voice was quiet but the menace was evident in his words and Katherine slipped back down to her bundle, her head falling to her lap.

“Why do you care, I’m just another person like you. Half animal half human, never both, never complete.” Her green eyes blazing now as she looked up at him, making Logan take a step backward. “Why are you asking? Worried I’ll tell people about you and your love? It’s obvious to those who can see it and most humans, mutants included are blind.” Logan looked at her in the clear morning sun, she looked around twenty but he couldn’t be sure, her face had old eyes and her body was used to hardship.

“How old are you?” Dropping to her level so she no longer felt overshadowed by him, her lips quirking into a kind of smile, her eyes meeting his and she opened her mouth, showing her teeth.
“As young as my skin and older than my teeth.” A sad laugh came from her and she picked at the ground a sigh forcing its way from her.
“You don’t know?” Katherine’s eyes pierced through his own and he saw under her calm exterior into the person beneath.
“Not much point registering a birth when you travel all the time. Had my period for seven years, so I’m between seventeen and nineteen. That’s as near as I can get, life was hard enough without worrying about age.” Her fingers played with her left hand where a ring mark could still be seen fading, the shock running through Logan as she saw him notice. Her head coming up and her chin strong as she met his gaze full on.

“What?” Logan chose his words carefully, he’d known several kids that had been in arranged marriages here at the school and they’d ended badly when the kids had manifested as mutants. Logan nodded to her ring mark.
“You were married?” His voice showing surprise and a little sympathy softening Katherine’s reaction to his question. Her face turned away into the fire and she sniffed.
“Yes. A good man, not very bright but a good man.” The question on his lips died as she finished her sentence, “He died when we were attacked, burned alive in the vardo.”

The pain was still fresh in her and Logan reached out a hand to her, her reaction savage and making him rethink her state of being. “DON’T TOUCH ME!” Her voice was all threat and menace, her body shuddering with effort as she tried to keep the anger under control. Her fingers dug into the soft ground around her, Logan could feel something in the air passing him into the ground around him. A surge of energy that made his bones ache, it faded quickly and Katherine pulled her fingers free. Her voice quiet as she spoke to him, “If you’d have touched me you’d have been hurt. Metal doesn’t work well with it. I’ll not kill the bridegroom before his wedding.”

Her laughter full of pain and her tears falling like summer rain, “Though God’s know it would’ve been better if that had happened to me.” Her head bent over and the shudders wracked through her frame, making Logan ache for her, there were so many stories of pain here, every kid seemed to have been beaten abused hurt by the world around them. Katherine lifted her head up and laughed the tears on her face making the whole thing look surreal, taking in Logan’s concern for her she grabbed his large hand in her own.

“You want to know what I am, why I was chased out of my clan, out of home, why my son and husband were burned alive by settled people. I’ll show you; maybe you’ll understand how I know what I know and why I never have a choice in what I know.” He watched her face go slack and peaceful, feeling his own eyes closing of their own accord as something took over his body.

The world was alive, everything was blazing with colour and energy, there were huge swathes of dark black in the forest and Logan could feel the ache and pain of the whole place dying slowly. His own home glowed with life, the tendrils of it spreading out across the forest reknitting the fabric of life around it. Swooping upward he caught the sight of black feathers and realised he was seeing things through a bird, the whole place was laid beneath him, kids were running around and each one was a mess of scars and wounds. Even Marie was injured, her body was littered with scars that were healing slowly and the life she carried glowed with a soft amber light.

Swooping away Logan found himself looking down on himself, holding Katherine’s hand, she wasn’t human, she was a mixture of animal and human. Lifting her head up to the birds eyes she opened her eyes, they were green and her chest was a mass of thick moss, her hair was long and alive with small insects and mammals. “I am everything and nothing. I feel, see and understand everything around me. I have no choice in this, it’s what I was born to do. Magic isn’t magic as you see it, it’s life, in skin and bone, in blood, fur and feather. Every person I see hurts me, every place screams to be healed. I’m here because I’m needed, when I pass they’ll be someone else to carry on but it’s a job I wouldn’t give to an enemy. Understand this Logan, you are what you are because it was what you ‘were’ before the humans took you. You held onto their pain and made it your own, you’re the one to blame for the nightmares not them.”

Katherine let go of his hand then and the image faded in his mind. Opening his eyes again he looked at Katherine, the tears were flowing again and she looked so fragile as if the world would crush her underfoot. She was a mutant but of what kind he doubted even Xavier knew, knowing that everything around her caused her pain. The life in the forest around her singing out at her all the time, the countless deaths that occurred every second all registered by her. Understanding now why she didn’t speak much, she did enough by just being there, trying to even the balance any way possible.

“Katherine, if you need something, just ask me. I’ll try my best to help.” Her face came down to meet his gaze, her eyes now more grey than green. She looked so tired then as if it had taken everything out of her just showing him what she saw every day. Shaking her head she silently got up and finished sorting the fire pit out, picking up her bundle she walked away downhill toward the school and the kids who were out playing on the field. She stopped to wait for him, when he joined her she touched his arm gently and a rush of compassion filled him.
“Thank you but no. You have enough as it is without me. This burden is mine and I’ll do it as long as I can without dying.”

The utter loneliness struck him, she was apart but joined, whole but separate and in the couple of months she’d been here, Logan had hardly seen her with anyone. She made to move away but Logan grabbed her, a solution in his head. “Let us help you, maybe you’re here to learn too. You feel everything around you so you know I mean what I say. I want to help Katherine, you need us as much as we need you.” The simple admission broke through her shell and Logan felt the air around him sweeten, summer exploding around him anew. Katherine’s eyes turning green again as they walked down to the school, looking at the large garage and the stables weighing something up in her mind.

“You can make things with wood can’t you?” Logan nodded as they got to the field, “Think they could make me a vardo?”
Logan stopped for a moment and looked at her. “Well that would be easy if I knew what a Vardo was.” Katherine smiled and hefted her bundle, looking at the figure of Marie walking toward them both.
“She ‘needs’ you Logan,” her eyes sparkling as she walked away to the school giving a smile to Marie as she passed her. Marie seemed to glow for a second as Katherine passed her, noticing her hand just touching Marie’s dress. Knowing she’d given her more healing, more confidence to live, seeing Katherine struggling now with the bundle where before she could carry it without a problem.

Marie’s arms wrapped around him and he found her body pressed up against him her scent distracting him from Katherine. “Hey I missed you,” the honeyed purr telling him exactly what she’d missed and how eager she was to get it again. Looking down into her flashing eyes he was reminded of the sight of Katherine’s eyes when he’d seen her as she really was. Marie’s eyes were the same shade but Katherine’s had been totally green no whites just green. Marie slipped her hand down the front of his jeans and squeezed him on the way past, making sure her body covered the movement. “Fancy some sleep?” Her intentions so far away from sleep Logan laughed and went with her across the field, the structure the younger kids had made was still up and they were playing inside it.

Patting Marie’s behind as they walked into the mansion Logan felt the weight of the building weigh down on him and understood why Katherine needed somewhere of her own. Turning to Marie he asked her something on the way to their room, “Marie what’s a Vardo?” he watched as she worked it out, knowing she knew more than he did even though he’d never admit it.
“I think it’s a gypsy caravan? Why?” Logan smiled as the image popped up into his head. Looking at her open smiling face he told her the truth.
“Someone asked me to make one and I think it’d make a good summer project for the advanced classes.” A sneaky grin was plastered across her face as she opened the door to their room.
“You wouldn’t go far in one of those Logan, they don’t move very fast and I happen to know you love to go… fast.” Her hands were already on his jeans when he walked inside, pulling open his buttons to free his already swelling erection.
“Never said it was for me, I’m not going anywhere. Not for a few years at least.” Picking her up quickly he carried her to the bed, placing her gently in the centre of it, seeing the love she had for him written plainly across her whole body. “I love you and I’ll never leave you. Not again, if I go your coming with me, go that?” Smiling Marie pulled him to her lips, her mouth giving him all the answer he’d ever need.