Author's Chapter Notes:
Logan goes looking for rings and finds something else entirely.... The Wedding Day arrives..... Marie finds out about what's been happening behind her back and Marie goes home and the happy little memories she had of home reveal themselves to be nothing but lies.....
The first two weeks went like an oiled machine, plans were made and executed in a fashion that made the missions the X-Men went on seem like unplanned picnics. Dresses were ordered, flowers arranged, caterers found, registrar found and paid for, all that was left was the ring and that was giving Logan the headache he’d had pounding around his skull for the whole two weeks.

First they’d looked at diamonds, then emeralds, ruby’s were a no-no seeing as they reminded them both of Jean and Scott who were sharing the wedding and had chosen matching Ruby rings. Amethyst, carnelian, topaz, sapphire, the list had been endless and everything had seemed to be the same as something else. Logan wanted something that was unique, a one off, nothing else like it in the world, just like Marie. So he’d resorted to ‘other’ channels, he knew some smugglers from his days of being hired help and had learned of a small boutique in the lower east side of New York. There he was quietly told were the rarest gems in the world, he’d gotten the address and planned to go there while everyone else was rehearsing.

They were having a humanist ceremony, seeing as Marie no longer felt any of the faith she was brought up to believe and he never thought about god, except to curse his name. Scott and Jean were having their vows blessed later by a priest but the service was non-denominational. Logan had just swung his leg over the deep blue-black tank of his bike when Scott had poked his head inside the garage, Scott’s voice high and desperate. “Hey you’re not leaving me here with this lot! They want another run through! This time with the bridesmaids!” The look of utter despair on Scott’s face melted even the Wolverines resolve and Logan growled out a response, hurrying his own preparations if they were at it again.
“Get on and shut up!”

Just as Scott had snagged a helmet and was seated behind Logan the objects of their affection got to the doors, their faces a picture when they saw Scott holding onto Logan on the back of Logan’s precious bike. As the bike roared away Jean put her hand to her mouth to cover the smile that was plastered across it Marie just held her stomach as she laughed into the garage. When both of them had finally recovered Jean smiled at Marie and put her arm around the young woman, Marie able not to flinch as she did so.

“Well that sorts out your rings, I never thought it’d work though. Usually Jubilee’s plans end in some kind of disaster, but this looks like it could work.” Marie smiled and moved out of the older woman’s grip her nose still able to detect Logan’s scent in the air and the annoyance he’d felt, her senses had become more acute of late. Hank put it down to her body preparing her for birth and again her hands were stroking the tight skin of her belly.
“Yeah I know, lets’ just hope they come back in one piece and if Scott gets any ideas about Logan’s baby he’ll be wearing bruises to the wedding.” Jean was about to say that Scott and her had no intention toward her baby when the realisation hit her making her eyes sparkle.
“I’m sure it’ll be fine Rogue, come on lets get the invitations finished, Hank’s going to post them later for us, he’s got some errands to do in town.”

Smiling Marie headed back to the study with Jean, the thought on her mind of exactly what errands Hank was doing, she knew he’d been left in charge of the travel plans for both couples. She even knew that Jean and Scott were going to the Bahamas for a week she’d seen their names on a small tag for the airline but her and Logan still didn’t have anything planned. Secretly Marie wanted to go home, to show her mother and father she was still alive, still standing tall, even if they didn’t want her someone did. Logan did, he’d been her family, her rock, the one thing that kept her steering due north toward her goals. She wanted them to see him, needed them to understand exactly what she’d done and how proud she was of it all.

Sighing she turned back to Jean not realising Jean had picked up on everything she’d said in her mind, sending a quick communication to Hank Jean told him of Marie’s wishes, hoping that they’d be able to do this small thing for her. When Jean received Hank’s reply she just smiled and took Marie back to the list of invitations and they both started sealing the envelopes, hoping that they’d be done before the men got back.

*********************************************************

This was a bad idea. Scott held on for life itself and felt the rumbling growl coming from Logan in front of him as they sped toward New York. His hands tightening around Logan only made Logan go faster, as if he was trying to scare him into speaking, into wanting to get off his precious bike. A spike of anger coursed through Scott then, Logan had stolen his bike and returned her eventually but she’d never felt the same afterward.

He’d had to pick her up from a desolate Canadian wasteland and had to buy her back from the guy who claimed he’d won her in a fight! Scott hadn’t taken her out since and a lock had been put in her engine, it would turn over but not actually go anywhere. He’d wanted to strip her down and start again but Logan was always in the garage and Scott didn’t trust himself with Logan around. He might start hitting him if he found something wrong with her and that would end up with one of them in the med bay if not both.

When Xavier had shown him the new bike he’d been impressed by it’s size and shape, he’d known Rogue had designed some of it using her memories from Logan. It really was a work of art and he’d been a little jealous when he’d seen Logan take her out for the first time. They really did fit together well, as if man and machine were two halves of the same creature. If the sounds Logan were making were anything to go by, Logan didn’t appreciate having a passenger who wasn’t female sat behind him. Keeping his grip light Scott hung on hoping to make the wedding that was only a few days away. If he could keep Logan from spearing him he’d be fine, keeping that thought at the front of his mind Scott relaxed into the journey.

Logan could feel the sluggish response from his baby underneath him, she didn’t like Scott, well they were both in agreement there, but he couldn’t leave the poor bastard alone with the women. They’d both been through the damn ceremony more times than he could remember and the list of things on it seemed to grow with each day. A simple ceremony they’d said, something small they’d said, a growl released itself then as they passed a car full of kids and stressed parents. Pulling away Logan tried to put the image of Marie stood in her dress out of his mind, he’d seen her by accident but she’d made his heart stop in his chest. Her hair was piled up on her head, showing off her graceful neck, the adamantium chain sparkling on her throat as she moved, her sign of commitment to him, her engagement ring she’d called it. He’d wanted to buy her another one but she’d punched him hard when she’d lost her temper about it, she’d been his since she saw him in that bar.

The tags he’d given her had been a ring and she’d returned them when she’d been with Bobby but he’d come back and she’d put on something that had meant more. She wore the metal the same as he did but hers was around her throat so she could show the world how much she loved him. She’d done it by herself and now he wanted to get her a ring that would match it. Scott’s hands relaxed on Logan’s sides and he felt himself settle again, pouring everything into the journey, taking risks he knew the both of them could survive. If he ended up killing Scott he’d have Jean to answer to and that was something he never wanted to face, he’d seen the blow up about the caterer. He’d had a lucky escape there and besides Marie would’ve stuck up for him but The Wolverine never hid behind a woman even if she was pregnant and he knew Jean would never hurt a pregnant woman. Concentrating on his goal, he pushed the bike onward, his own growls matching the engine as they made the city limits.

*********************************************************

The shop was something out of another age, the brass balls that hung from the sign above testament to the shops trade. Scott gave a look that would’ve earned him a clawing if Logan hadn’t been in such a hurry to get inside, the interior wasn’t as cheery as the outside but the displays made up for it. Everywhere the eye could see were jewels, they were labelled as paste copies but even Scott could tell the difference between paste and the genuine article. The shop keeper was a small man, a dwarf almost, his hair tied back, strong muscular shoulders and a gaze that hadn’t left them since they pulled up outside. Logan went straight for the short man, putting his hands on the counter, Logan leaned forward, trying to be calm as he spoke.

“Wedding rings, unique, price no object.” The little man looked Logan up and down and went to a display, pulling the tray he brought it back to show Logan. Scott wandered over to look at the jewellery laid out on it, every single ring was unique, there were different stones of every shade and colour. Even the metals were different, and one was wooden set with a dark blue stone, Scott pointed at it, the words on his lips dying as the little man answered him. “It’s made from Iron wood and the stone is a rare piece of Labrodorite.” His thick fingers picked up the ring and lifted it into the light, the stone reflected all the colours of a butterflies wing, iridescent in the light of the shop. The sparkle and play of light on the stone captured even Scott’s attention, the hues visible even through his glasses. Logan looked down at the tray and found his hands dancing over the whole display, he was feeling panicked, there was too much choice here, too many mistakes he could make. His heart was trying to calm itself and the deep tone of the owner reached him, the rich undertone calming Logan’s racing heart.

“What colour are her eyes?” Logan found himself answering without thinking, “Forest green.”
“What colour hair?”
“Auburn with two malen streaks in the front.”
“Skin tone?”
“Alabaster.” Scott watched the exchange in a kind of shock, Logan was offering information to a total stranger about Rogue.
“Temperament?” Scott expected Logan to snap out a comment, he found himself floored by his answer.
“She’s like a summer storm, wild, carefree, older than her years.” Logan’s eyes were closed as the shopkeeper removed rings and put them in a box, whittling down the selection by the words that were coming from Logan.
“Caring, a giver, terrible temper, concerned for everyone, a saviour.” The last word echoing around the small shop like a rumble of thunder and Scott understood how much Logan had been worrying about this, about the whole thing. He really loved her, he needed her and the smile on the shopkeepers face was strange, there were two rings left and the small man asked one more question.
“Life or soul?” Logan’s eyes snapped open at that comment and he answered without hesitation.
“Soul.”

The large fingers plucked away one ring leaving ‘the’ ring on the dark blue velvet, Logan’s eyes dropped down to the final choice. A clear stone with a colour to it that shifted as the light moved. It looked like a diamond but Logan knew it wasn’t it was something else. Reaching out toward the ring the shopkeeper stopped his hand and picked it up for him. The stone caught the light, sending tiny pieces of refracted light everywhere, making the whole place shine with it.
“Comes from South America, a diamond of some kind but not one you’ll ever find anywhere else. The setting is gold with a platinum centre to give it strength, one of a kind.” Logan looked from the ring to the shopkeeper.
“How much?” The smile that covered the short man’s face warmed his eyes and Scott found himself wanting to leave as it passed over him. Taking a pencil he scribbled something down on a piece of paper and showed Logan, Logan looked at it grunted and took out a folded bundle. Before he put it down on the counter Logan spoke, “Size it to this,” he took out a small ring and handed it over, Jubilee had gotten Marie to try on different rings and noted her size for him. The small man nodded and took the ring.
“It’ll be extra.”

Logan growled at that and the small man’s grin just got wider, “I think we can forget that seeing as you’ve given me this one.” Quickly noting the size he compared the two rings, there wasn’t much in it and the wedding ring wouldn’t need that much stretching. “Half now, half when you come for the ring.” Scott watched as Logan counted off at least seven thousand dollars onto the counter top, the small mans eyes never leaving Logan’s face watching for a sign of his discomfort at paying out so much. If this was half, the ring was worth over fourteen thousand dollars, his own ring for Jean had cost him nearly two thousand and he’d thought he’d gotten a good deal. But Logan was giving over nearly everything he owned for one ring, he hadn’t even thought about his own yet and Scott decided he’d better tell him before he spent everything.

“Erm, Logan, what about your ring?” Logan looked at him as if he’d just told him the sky was pink and saw the world drop out from under him, Logan had forgotten about his own ring. “You’re going to need one as well, she’ll be expecting you to have one Logan.” Logan’s hands had stopped counting the money out and he just ignored the comment although the small shopkeeper had noticed.
“What I need don’t matter, she deserves this.” Scott got annoyed and his tone became harsh.
“Yeah when Jean puts the ring on my finger how’s that going to make her feel when you don’t have one for her to put on you?” The sense hit him then and a pained look crossed his face as Scott realised this was the first time he’d ever bought anyone anything like this and all he was concerned about was her.

Turning to the small shopkeeper Scott saw the stare piercing him through as he spoke to him. “Have you got any rings that’d fit him? Again something unique, something ‘him’?” The gaze travelled over Logan as he weighed up the man in front of him, turning to Scott he spoke.
“Temperament?”
“Hard ass.” Logan shot Scott a look that would have worried him at any other time but here Logan was vulnerable and so he kept his temper. “No let me rephrase that, acts like one, is one occasionally when needed, loyal, faithful, honest, honourable, flirts with anything in a skirt, determined, dogged, a valuable friend and a decent man.”

Logan felt the floor shift as he heard Scott come out with the words that he thought described him and he felt as if none of them were real. The little shopkeeper looked at the man in front of him and saw the struggle to take the compliments heaped on him. Smiling he walked over to a different cushion and came back with one ring, it was a simple band, the metal almost singing out to Logan as he brought it over. It even felt like it was his before he’d even touched it. Turning to Scott the little shopkeeper asked one last question, “Man or animal?” The question stilled their breath and Scott felt his throat tighten Logan’s fists were clenched and the tension running off him was palpable. The question dug deep into Scott’s heart, knowing what he said now could change everything. Looking at Logan, Scott decided to be honest as the little shopkeeper just waited patiently for an answer.
“He’s neither, he’s just Logan.” The answer popped out as if it had been waiting in his mouth, Scott looked at Logan as he said it and the shopkeeper grabbed Logan’s left hand and slid the ring on it. It fitted snugly as if it had always been there.

The words hit Logan square on, putting things into place for him, knowing that Scott understood what he struggled with, what he felt was his own lone fight against The Wolverine. There was nothing Logan could say about what Scott had just said, Scott keeping his face neutral, but Logan smelled the nerves coming from the younger man. He’d told him the truth about how he saw him, he wasn’t an animal to him he was himself and that’s what mattered when it came down to it. He hadn’t been a jerk about it, he’d just answered honestly and it had floored him.

Looking at the simple ring Logan saw how it fitted him snugly, feeling warm to his skin. The gravel voice of the shopkeeper filling his ears, “All the way from Cornwall England, this one, ‘found in a mound’ if you get my drift.” He winked an eye at the two of them and removed it from his finger, “It’ll cost you,” the pencil again went to the paper and Logan watched the figure scratched down. The shopkeepers eyes meeting Logan’s and winking as he read the amount.
“You sure this is what you want? Nothing else?” The grin that met Logan’s gaze was all warmth, the nod final.

Scott broke the mood by speaking, “How much for the axe?” Scott was over in the far corner, a large ornate axe on the wall capturing his attention, the handle solid wood, the metal dull but the edge sharp and shining. The little shopkeeper raised his voice so Scott could hear him, “Read the label underneath it.” Scott bent to read the small yellowed label, then he straightened up quickly his gaze piercing the little man through. The shop had suddenly become very, very small and Scott decided he was better off waiting outside. Keeping his eyes on the little man Scott left, Logan watching as Scott did his best to look normal while fighting the fear he could scent.

“What’s gotten into him?” The little shopkeeper just smiled and pointed to the little label under the axe. Curious Logan went over to look, the label had writing on it and a tally mark system with dates next to each one. It read ‘Attempted robberies 396, thieves killed 65, injured 289.’ The last date was the week before and Logan smiled as he looked at the axe edge, the handle was well used and the shaft was long enough for the smaller man to heft well in the confined space.
“Pay’s to advertise huh?” The glint in the little mans eyes met the smile on Logan’s own as he slid the claws out of his left hand and held them up. “Just so we know each other if you get any other ideas about payment?” Seeing the cold look in Logan’s eyes the little shopkeeper laughed, the sound echoing around the small store, Logan put his claws away and returned to the counter. The money was all there and he took a small receipt and left, Scott was anxiously waiting for him outside. He didn’t say anything to Logan until he swung himself behind him for the journey home, “How do you know you can trust him?”

Logan just looked back into the store and saw the little man pull down the axe and clean it with a soft cloth. The action making the small man’s musculature evident as he did so, seeing him swing the small axe around the open space knowing that he was being watched. Throwing a comment to Scott as he fired the bike, “Because he’s honest and he knows I’d come after him if he wasn’t.” That seemed to settle Scott’s nerves as they pulled away, heading home to the organised chaos that was their weddings.

*********************************************************

Ororo had made sure the day was bright and the sun was already above the trees when Logan finally surfaced, Marie had been sleeping in Jubilee's room, Kitty was there was well. They’d all had a girls night the other evening when he’d gone to collect the rings, the little shopkeeper had been expecting him.

The shop was empty apart from a few knick knacks that looked as if they’d had better days, all the jewels were gone. He’d gone to the counter and the little man had beamed at him as he’d produced the boxes for him, Logan put the rest of the money down for him and picked up the rings. His short strong arm shot out and grabbed Logan’s own, “The payment for your ring?” Logan snapped open the boxes and checked they were the ones he’d wanted, when he was satisfied he closed the lids and put them back down on the counter top. The payment for his own ring was something he’d never been asked for, a breath. He’d brought extra money just in case and he felt the grip on his arm change. The little man motioned to the back of the shop and let go of Logan's arm, Logan followed pocketing the two rings quickly.

The back of the shop was packed up and the little man was holding a dark glass bottle and held it out to Logan, “In there, just one deep one.” Logan felt stupid but the words of Katherine echoed through him, ‘magic isn’t what you think its blood and bone Logan.’ He wasn’t giving blood but he was giving something of himself and he’d wanted to know exactly what he was doing.
“Why?” The little man frowned and put the bottle down.
“Because I need an honest man and that’s what your enemy described you as. That’s why.” The term made Logan’s eyebrow raise.
“My 'enemy'?”
“Yes, your friend with the control problem, watch him he’ll explode one day if he’s not careful.” The man’s hands were fiddling with a small box, trying to open it without showing Logan how it was opened. Logan looked at the small man and a name popped into his head, one that fitted the little man entirely as he finally opened the box and pulled out a small square of brown cloth.

“You’re a dwarf aren’t you?” The little man didn’t answer him he just polished the dark bottle, Logan folded his arms and waited, he had time by the looks of things the little shopkeeper didn’t.
“No, not in the terms you’re thinking along. I just happen to look like one and encourage the stereotype, small people they like to be called, me I’m just short. Nothing wrong with being short.” Logan nodded and looked at the glass bottle.
“What is that for? I mean I breathe in it and then what?” The smaller man was getting agitated now and he just thrust the bottle under Logan’s nose.
“Just do it and leave, you’ve got what you came for now do it and leave!”

The red flushed skin covering his face reminded him of the night he’d been forced to watch the whole Lord Of The Ring's trilogy by Bobby and Marie. Grabbing the bottle he took a deep breath and blew hard into the dark glass, as soon as he had the large strong hands snapped a lid on it and tightened it shut. Pleased now the little man ignored Logan entirely and just cleaned the bottle’s surface again.

Smiling to himself Logan whispered ‘Grumpy as Gimli,’ the words were barely out of his mouth when he felt the prick of something against his skin. Looking down there was a very small sharp knife at his stomach and Logan growled low, looking into the eyes of the smaller man he saw the hatred burning into his own.
“Never, mention that name around me ‘man’.” The word ‘man’ chewed out as if it was an insult. “Not all of us appreciate what your world has done to us, to what we are and how we’re treated. We were freaks before the mutant’s ever came into life and we’ll still be when everyone is a mutant. We live longer don’t forget that and our memories don’t age.”

The knife was pulled away from Logan’s skin and he could see the regret in the small mans face, holding the bottle up for him to see he asked him something. “Lie, say something untrue something big, not just the sky is purple.” Logan looked at the dark surface of the bottle and thought about what he could say, smiling when he thought of something.
“I don’t love her.” The dark glass glowed bright orange then turned yellow almost burning the hand that held it.

He seemed satisfied and walked away from Logan, carrying the bottle with him back into the shop. Logan following and watching as he set up the small bottle where he could see it and others would be hard pressed to notice it if you weren’t looking for it. Before he let go it Logan whispered to himself, the glass glowed yellow again and the little man turned around quickly.
“What did you say? What did you ask?” Shrugging his coat around him Logan felt the two boxes in his pocket and smiled, at him.
“I just asked if you weren’t what I thought you were and I’m right aren’t I?” The little man gave a grudging smile and relaxed his shoulders, his eyes gleaming in the light that made it into the small shop.
“No one would believe you, you know.” The little man settled himself behind the counter and pulled out a pipe, setting it alight he breathed out into the room, the scent of the tobacco rich and old.

“Maybe, maybe not but no one would believe me if I’d told them I’d met a god of sorts, one who shoes horses for a living.” The quick glance at the dark bottle confirmed what he was saying as it stayed dark, the heavy head of the little man nodding at him.
“Then you’ll be happy wearing his ring then, or one of them.” The glass stayed dark as he spoke and Logan knew the worth of his breath now and the ring in his pocket. Smiling Logan took the door handle in his hand and opened the door, the little man speaking to him as he left.
“Be seeing you Logan,” the glass bottle staying dark as he left, going back to his bike and the life ahead of him. Knowing there were more things between heaven and earth that even he knew about, since he’d stopped running the world had become a stranger place but much more interesting.

*********************************************************

Now the two boxes rested on the small side table next to the bed and the day was here, he was getting married. The smells of cooking and the voices of students helping to erect the canopy outside in the garden were coming into the bedroom. His suit was resting on a chair, it wasn’t the whole penguin thing, it was a comfortable thing. The cotton suit had been found to fit him in all the right places but it gave him room to move and breathe, the dark black of it seemed to absorb all light. Seeing as Marie was wearing an off white dress they’d look the perfect opposites, him in black her in white, the small symbol that was on his cuff links reminded him of it. Xavier had given them to him, twin representations of the yin-yang symbol done in silver and ebony. He’d accepted them with a smile and put them with the suit, taking a look at the clock Logan knew he had a couple of hours left.

Stretching he decided to put it to good use and sleep some more, he knew that Scott and Jean were flying out to the tropics later for their honeymoon. He’d kept himself away from Hank the last couple of days because he knew Hank was arranging everything for them. Smiling as he thought about the itinerary they probably had planned for their week away. He knew Hank would get something sorted for both of them, something they’d both enjoy, he was just about to settle back down when he heard the footsteps approaching. They stopped outside his room and he smelled who it was, “Go away, I’m still asleep!” Kitty’s exasperated voice wafted through the door.

“Rogue say’s to get your ass out of bed and get ready, she wants you ready for Cyclops to inspect your suit before you go down together.” Logan growled and he smelled Kitty’s nerves through the door. “She said if I don’t see you out of bed and moving she’ll give her to Cyclops and she has the keys.” Logan’s ears peaked at this and he quickly found himself across the room and searching his jeans for the bike keys. Gone. A long low rumble echoed through the room, Kitty heard him moving and spoke. “She wants me to see you moving Logan so I’m opening the door okay?”

He’d locked it last night but this was Kitty and she could go through anything, quickly grabbing a shirt Logan threw it on forgetting he was still naked from the waist down. Still looking for something to wear he saw Kitty standing inside his room, her own dress a simple light cotton with an embroidered rose design on it. Kitty’s eyes were definitely south of the border until Logan moved, her eyes snapped upward, blushing furiously Kitty just phased back out of the room. Kitty’s unsteady voice came through the door, Logan picking up on her embarrassment and arousal at seeing him half naked. “I’ll tell her your up and moving, I’m sure she’s safe now Rogue only wanted to get you moving.” Not realising he could hear her other comment behind the door, ‘I wouldn’t need much of ‘that’ to get me moving!’ Laughing to himself as Kitty walked down the corridor Logan began to get ready for one of the defining moments of his life. Tearing off the shirt he threw himself into the routine of his morning.

Looking in the mirror Logan heard the door open and Scott stood there looking a little nervous and a perfect suit riding over his nervous frame. A slow whistle escaped his lips as Logan turned to look at him, “Damn Logan your going to make me look bad.” Puffing out his chest a little Logan took a good look at himself in the mirror, the suit did make the most of his frame. He looked like pure sin dressed in night, the easy shift of his body matched the glow that was coming from his eyes. Scott checked his suit over, giving it a little brush down and gave him the simple white orchid for his button hole, it’s colour a point of light contrasting against the darkness of his suit. Rings in his pocket Logan took one last look and walked out with Scott, both of them embarking on the road of ‘husband’ feeling a little like lambs to the slaughter.

Logan caught Scott’s nerves, deciding to tease him a little, “Hey at least Marie ain’t a telepath, she won’t know how nervous this makes me.” Scott smiled tightly and answered him lightly, “True Logan true but she’ll be able to feel all the love underneath the nerves.” Logan’s smile faltered a little but Scott hadn’t finished, “But then again Jean doesn’t have my baby riding around in her or most of my personality riding around with her. She knows you love her, hell we all knew you loved her the first time you came here. You never asked about yourself Logan or what we wanted, you asked about her first.”

Logan felt the man next to him change as they approached the covered garden, stopping just before the doors Scott held Logan’s arm. “I was an idiot Logan, I should have given you the benefit of the doubt but I didn’t and I’m sorry for that. You make her happy and that should have been enough, I suppose it was nice to be a big brother for a while but you always had her heart Logan, always.” The look on Scott’s face was one that Logan hadn’t seen when he’d ever talked to him before, it was softer, more open. Logan grabbed Scott’s arm fully, holding it at the elbow, remembering what Wayland had shown him. The grip on Scott’s arm light but strong Logan’s voice quiet but strong, “I’m here for the long run Scott, I’ll never hurt them and you can kill me if I do.” Scott returned the grip and they both felt the start of a bond that would keep them safe, keep them together through the future and what it could bring.
“If it comes to it Logan I’ll make it quick and I’ll look after them both. They’ll never know.” Scott gripped his arm tight and Logan smiled as they let go of each other, each one understanding the other for the first time. Both had fears, both had dreams but they meshed in places and this was the place they could start from. Stepping out into the sunshine, they went to meet their futures.

*********************************************************

The only part he could remember of the whole thing was the moment he put the ring on Marie’s finger, the look of total and utter love in her gaze as he put the ring on her. Its colour matched her perfectly and sat comfortably with her skin as if it had always been there, Logan’s own ring slipped on easily. It’s weight comfortable, seeming as if it had always been there, her small fingers pushing the plain band over his knuckles the most sensual thing he’d ever felt. It was everything they’d said it was, special, a moment the whole world stands still and you can feel the world turn under your feet. He had eyes for nothing and no one else but Marie, her hair was piled high, her face framed by the two white streaks. The dress was a marvel of design because it covered their baby but also brought out the beauty of her condition. She glowed in the afternoon sunlight and everyone marvelled at them, how they seemed to fit together so perfectly.

Mirror images of the other, Marie light, him darkness, her own flower on her chest a deep blue orchid almost black placed over her heart. His heart over hers, just as the white orchid was her heart over his, a small detail that had been all the more poignant because they both knew why Ororo had done it. The orchids flowered once in twenty years and after that they died, their love was rare like the orchids and they deserved everything they could get. Life for mutants was hard and bringing a baby into the world would make it harder for both of them even here.

Marie had spoken her heart to him then, telling him how much she loved him, how much she needed him, what he meant to her and why. Logan hadn’t said much in his vows, and he knew people wouldn't understand him when he told her he’d care for her like the wolves care for their own. But Marie did, she understood because she knew him and what he was telling her. That he’d die for her, kill for her, defend her with everything he was, love her till he was dead and gone, just a memory to their children and grandchildren. She’d cried then, a single tear reflecting the light of the sun through into her making her glow with it. He’d kissed her then, softly and tenderly showing everyone the true depth of himself, the thing that Marie had seen the first time she’d laid eyes on him in the cage in Laughlin.

Scott and Jean had been traditional in their vows and they’d looked as they had before things had gone wrong between them. Jean only had eyes for her husband and Logan felt a spike of regret for ever trying to come between them. When the rings had been exchanged Scott had smiled, a true smile that reached past his mouth and into his soul, he had her at last, she was his. Logan winked at him and Scott had to choke back a laugh as Logan held Marie close to him, their territories mapped out the tension ended.

The party had been good, the other young men were getting all the attention they needed from their partners since their little planning session that day up in cabin. They’d all been attentive and had told their partners what they planned, the only one who had taken their partner up on the offer had been Damask. Pieter and Damask were going to have their relationship blessed after the party, an engagement of a sort. Jubilee and Bobby were taking things slowly now she knew he did love her, the things she’d bought for the wedding now ensconced in her bottom drawer knowing she had time. Kitty was home from Harvard and she’d left her boyfriend behind her, things weren’t going well and her time here had spelled it out to her. When Marie had pulled her into an embrace Logan had caught her eye and winked at her, making her blush vividly. Marie looked confused until Logan had whispered in her ear as to why, she’d slapped him then on the arm a blush creeping up her own face then. His voice rumbling in her ear, “It’s not as if you haven’t seen it before, never mind feeling it.”

Kitty had left them then, wrapped up in each other, oblivious to the heart that was breaking in their midst, Hank just blinked back the tears and smiled at everyone knowing things were changing. Maybe just maybe there was a piece of happiness out there for him, he just wondered how long it would take to get here if at all.

Hank waited until Jean and Scott had driven away to the airport before he gave Marie the small package in his hands. The rest of the presents were stacked and kind of unique, there weren’t many dinner services or pots and pans. There were guns, there were knives there was even a small iron stove that had been delivered that morning for the cabin. Handing it over to Logan Hank smiled and saw the heat of Logan’s gaze reach him, the smile all for him.

Opening it with nervous hands Hank watched as Marie looked over the papers, it was a registration and car papers for Meridian, Mississippi. Tears sprang into Marie’s eyes and she flew around Hank, hugging him tightly, her voice suddenly choked by everything. Logan looked deep into Hank and understood exactly what had been given to Marie, a chance.

Time to get things sorted out, things she’d left unsaid and undone, she was different now and she needed to finish things before she set out on her life with Logan. Hank wrapped his large hands around her, cradling Marie as she cried, wiping her tears away with his furred fingers she blinked at Logan. “Do you mind going Logan? I know it’s not your idea of a holiday, but it’s something I’ve been wanting to do, something I have to do before the babies born. I need them to see me as I am Logan and I want them to know you’re with me.” Logan took hold of her face, wrapping his palm over her cheek, tracing the tear track with his finger gently.
“Whatever you want darlin’ I’m not leaving you, not ever.” The ring on his finger catching the sun as he saw her eyes darken with emotion, not seeing Hank’s own eyes clouding over but scenting his distress. “We’ll go and I’ll take care of you. Anything I need to know Hank? Anything I should be aware of?” Logan met the tear filled gaze of his lover, knowing that they both felt the pain of what had happened today and how much it changed their own relationship.

Hank answered him, keeping the emotion hidden from Marie.
“Well Ororo is flying you down tonight in the blackbird, Charles has reserved you a suite at the local Hilton, honeymoon of course and there’s a credit card for you in there too. We don’t expect you back for at least a week, but if you feel any stress at all Marie or if you think this is too much for you come home. As long as you keep that in mind we’re all fine and dandy.” The smile he gave her reached his eyes and Logan knew Hank was happy for them both, even if it meant he was out in the cold. Logan put his hand on Hank’s shoulder and smelt the rich odour of him deepen as he did so, not noticing Marie’s look of confusion as she picked up the scent of arousal from Hank. Sneezing quickly she wiped it away and Hank let go of her leaving her and Logan to discuss plans.

Marie watched Hank walk away, the large doctor crowding her thoughts, she knew about their agreement but Logan hadn’t told her about any recent visits. Not since March, looking at Logan she could see the pain in him and opened her mind to him, sharing the link she had with him. What she saw made her chest lurch, Logan half animal, Hank half man fucking in the forest, Logan didn’t know she could sense these things. She knew he could feel her, see her when he needed to but he didn’t know she could do it as well.

She watched as he turned his warm gaze back to her, full of love and devotion. Swallowing her fear she needed to know and know now. “When were you going to tell me?” Logan looked confused and she just tapped the side of her head, making him realise what she was talking about. Looking at Hank as he mingled with the rest of the guests, “You were with him and you didn’t tell me, why?” The words that dropped from her mouth almost shattered Logan’s world, she knew, she’d seen. Dropping his gaze to the floor he sighed, as Marie’s hands drifted up to his head lifting it. She didn’t hold any anger in her, only hurt that he didn’t tell her.
“I… Marie…” She put her hand over his mouth and her tears dropped down her cheeks. She knew the reason, Wolverine. He’d needed Hank and always would, it was something she had to accept, there would be times he wouldn’t be able to control the need. It could be years, months or weeks but he would go back to Hank or be driven there, Marie looked at Hank still making polite conversation.

Clearing her throat Marie wiped her eyes and looked through Logan, her gaze cold and deadly. “When our baby gets here Logan, your mine. Your ours, no one else gets a look in, I don’t care if you smash the whole damn house to pieces but you come back to my bed and ONLY my bed! We’ll find a way to deal with him *together* Logan, some way you’re not going to hurt anyone because as sure as the sun rises we’re hurting Hank as well and that’s wrong.” Logan opened his mouth to speak but her gaze made him think better of it.

“Now we’re leaving soon and I don’t want to make people upset because I am, because Logan I’m not. I’m hurt you didn’t tell me but I know why, the baby. I’m not a child anymore, hell I’m going to be a mother in a few weeks! I love you Logan and I’m not going to share you after this baby is born, you’re her father and she’ll need you 24/7, 365 days a year. Hank loves you and he’d do whatever you tell him but when we get back Jean is going to look after me. I know he didn’t tell me because that was your job but it still hurts and I’ll take some time to get over that. I care about him but at the moment I’m hurt and I need to get some rest before we head out. I need to be fit to meet the family that threw me out on my ass. And I’ll be damned before I go crawling home looking barefoot and pregnant!”
Her eyes were blazing and Logan felt everything he’d ever told her rise in him, he loved her, he needed her and she was his world. Wolverine would have to find another outlet, another way of expressing his need and he would. If he didn’t he could lose her and that would kill him, surer than anything Stryker could have done to him.

“Okay Marie. I never meant to hurt you, Hank didn’t either, he’s not at fault here, I am.” Looking into his hazel eyes Marie smiled as she punched him hard.
“Oh I know you are and guess who’s going to be on baby duty for the first three months?” Logan looked at her to see if she was joking, she wasn’t. “Every night Logan, every night for the first three months of her life.” Marie hugged him tightly to her and shot a look toward Hank, Logan noticed Hank turn and saw the look on her face. Hank stopped laughing and walked inside, his humour gone and Logan felt the guilt land squarely on his shoulders. If he’d been honest Hank wouldn’t feel bad for doing what Logan had promised him, now he’d managed to hurt both of them. Marie sensed his pain and kissed him, the warmth spreading through him, “He’ll forgive you Logan, I have but you never leave anything out again. Got it?” Logan nodded looking at the firecracker in his arms, his wife. He just hoped her family could take it she wasn’t the little Marie that had left them behind when they’d thrown her out. She could handle him easily and he scared most men, never mind women. Smiling at last Logan just held onto her, his heart lighter for the truth being known at last.

*********************************************************

The journey down to Meridian was quiet, Storm was still flushed with the promise of her wedding from Kurt and her mind was distracted by the thought of it. Paul was co-piloting the blackbird seemingly calm at the controls managing to keep his attention on everything and keep a conversation going with Marie. Logan hated flying, the weightlessness of it all made him feel even heavier when he landed. If the plane ever got into difficulties again he’d be no help to Marie seeing as he’d plummet like a stone with the extra weight inside him. So he was grateful when they eventually landed on the roof of the Hilton, their goodbyes were quick and Logan hefted their luggage. Waving them off they both felt the heat of the southern summer hit them, Logan already regretting wearing his usual flannel. Marie threw him a glance as the sun edged its way to the horizon, “Come on lets get you into something a little cooler, like nothing.” The look that was plastered across her face was pure sin and even through the heat and humidity Logan felt his blood pooling.
“It’s not fair to tease a Wolverine darlin’ especially when he’s overheatin’ as it is.” Marie just winked and went toward the roof top door, her voice reaching him over the sounds of the streets below.