With a muted groan Logan shifted, rolling over and sitting up on the edge of the bed. The pain was intense, spilling over from his dreams into his waking and he rested his elbows on his knees, his head bent as he breathed deeply. He didn't see the glittering snow outside his window, didn't see anything but the last vestiges of his nightmare.

"Logan?" the soft whisper preceded the spreading pool of light across his bedroom floor and he glance up to see the slight figure of Rogue standing in his bedroom doorway. One hand rested on the door knob, the other was twisted in her nightgown, her shoulders hunched against the night as she stood there.

"Hey Marie," he muttered trying to calm his heart enough to be able to carry on a mature conversation. Shifting, gathering himself he made room for her on the bed, a deep, calming desire to be safe, to offer her safety filling him without really killing the terror that still choked him.

"I felt it," she whispered coming across the floor silently, the door closing with a slight click. The room was lit by moonlight, a pale white light that stretched and caressed the hardwood, even as she moved to sit next to him. "I could feel the pain so deep it was like a living, breathing thing. I couldn't stay in my room.." the soft lilt of her voice was clouded with unshed tears, with remembered horror, terror giving it a slight tremor.

"Its okay kid, you're safe," Logan said softly, pulling her into his arms and holding her. If she felt his trembling she didn't say, and he didn't point out that he could feel the tremors that raced through her body.

"Why won't it leave us alone?" Rogue asked silently, her hands folded in her lap carefully, silent tears pooling in her dark eyes. Every time she closed her eyes she could see them, feel the pain of her flesh being sliced open, of hot metal poured in and knew Logan felt the same thing. More importantly Logan smelt it, heard it, lived it over and over again.

"I don't know kid," Logan replied quickly, his grip tightening. He didn't really know, and the mere fact that she'd said us was one more reason he cursed himself. She was too innocent, too pure to have to endure the nightly rounds with horror that they shared. "Come on, you can bunk down in here, it might help with the nightmare."

"Thank you," Rogue smiled softly crawling beneath the tangled sheet and curling up with her back to Logan even as he curled around her. With a soft sigh she snuggled into his embrace as he wrapped an arm around her waist, his hand splayed over her stomach. "I'm sorry I'm such an.."

"You're not," Logan interrupted rapidly, "you're my sanity." With a knowing smile, Rogue closed her eyes, breathing deeply soaking in the smell of Logan's essence, easing the fear, the pain until she slept soundly, dreamlessly.

Long after Rogue slept Logan lay awake, listening to her breath, listening to her heart beating until sleep claimed him mere hours before dawn. His grip tightening instinctively on Rogue's slight form, his face buried in her hair, a slight frown marring his face.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Rising Jean showered, dressed carefully and applied her cosmetics before starting downstairs. A glance at the clock revealed that it was close to seven in the morning, and she was usually getting things ready for the day's classes at that time. Hearing slight scuffing sounds from Logan's room she walked toward it and paused, torn between wanting to know what was happening and fearing a nightmare.

Seeing the knob twisting she stepped back and waited for the door to open, not really thinking of who might be opening the door. Jean stared in amazement as the door opened and Logan, fully dressed stood behind Rogue who was wrapped in one of his shirts, and a pair of sweats that obviously belonged to her with eyes that were filled with exhaustion and unease but no shame.

"Morning Dr. Grey," Rogue said softly and offered a small, shy smile before glancing at Logan with a full blown, grin, the shadows pushed aside at least for the moment. "See you later Logan."

"Bye kid," Logan smiled at her, ruffling her hair quickly before he stepped out into the hall, invading Jean's personal space in the process and watching her step back a couple of strides. "Morning Jeannie."

"Logan," Jean stared at him as he walked past her, his steps confident, his usual swagger in full force. Shaking her head she turned and hurried down the stairs, quickly catching up with Logan as they entered the dining hall.

Sinking into a chair next to Scott she watched as Logan took up his usual spot, leaving one chair empty next to him and nursing into his coffee. A moment later Rogue all but raced into the room, sinking into the empty chair next to Logan and leaning on him.

"Morning Rogue," Scott acknowledged the girl with a quick smile, his gaze darting between her and Logan who had shifted, letting her lean on him a little more than usual, his arm resting on the back of the chair, draped over her shoulders.

"Morning Mister Summers," Rogue replied quickly and smiled as a plate of french toast, bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns was set before her. Digging in she barely spared them a glance even as Logan smiled at her.

"You've got PE first thing Logan," Scott pointed out noting the way the other man was dressed in blue jeans, boots and his customary layered shirts. "Yeah, I know One Eye," Logan grunted crossly. "Don't need to wear a jump suit for a work out."

"But.."

"Kids gotta learn that sometimes you got to work out in whatever you're wearing. Physical training isn't all there is to it. You gotta be comfortable in jeans if that's what the situation develops around."

Shaking his head Scott turned to his wife who had remained silent through most of the meal. "You okay?"

"Yeah, just thinking," Jean replied with a soft smile for him, her gaze darting to Logan who had focused on Rogue.

"You hungry or something?" Logan teased her as she ate her breakfast.

"Something like that," Rogue replied with a grin, her fork paused comically halfway to her lips. "So what are we doing in PE today?"

"You'll see," Logan grinned. "Hint, wear comfortable shoes," he whispered and rose to leave the room his customary scowl darkening his face.

Laughing softly, Rogue finished her breakfast and darted off leaving Jean silently fuming with speculation about what had happened the night before.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rapidly a habit developed with Rogue going to Logan as soon as the mansion was dark. The soft light of the hallway illuminators did little to push the shadows aside, instead all they did was allow for Rogue to scurry down the hallway. The fact that they both slept more soundly, more deeply in each other's arms making any thoughts of improprieties unwarranted as far as they were concerned. The thought that others might become suspicious, might doubt their activities a faint shadow that was never really in the forefront of their minds.

As the nights past, fading into weeks, then months Jean became more and more skeptical, more likely to prod and pry as curiosity stirred at her mind. She noted the way Rogue often left Logan's room a step ahead of him, often fully dressed and ready to start the day and couldn't help but feel an annoying sensation in her stomach. That she was slightly jealous was something she was unwilling, or perhaps unable to admit to.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was early spring when Jean thought her worries were confirmed. As was usual she'd gone to bed late, it had been nearly twelve thirty before she'd slid beneath the sheets and curled up next to Scott who slept soundly. The day's work finished, the offices cleaned and preparations for the next day complete, allowing her to retire for the evening.

Laying awake she listened for the familiar sounding creak of wood as a young girl slipped from her room and made for the room of her lover. There was no doubt in Jean's mind that Logan and Rogue were having an affair, and it bothered her no end, but not for the reason she had convinced herself of. Not hearing the familiar creaking Jean wondered what could possibly have happened, yet couldn't help the smug little smile that crossed her face.

Shaking her head she snuggled deeper into the warmth around her sliding toward sleep, she remembered. Logan had left the mansion tonight to go to a fight and that meant the Rogue was probably sleeping soundly in her own bed at the moment. With a sick little smile Jean closed her eyes and with a soft sigh slid into sleep.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feeling the searing pain of being torn apart Rogue gasped, her head moving restlessly on the pillows as she lay there. Her body racked with shudders and pain even as she struggled to escape, wrestled to get away from the men in white coats, holding champagne glasses and laughing.

Fighting as hard as she could she struggled through the mire, through the weight that held her down, her mind screaming out in agony even as she struggled to wake herself up. The echo of her heart pounding filling her head mixing with the laughter, the clink of fine crystal making the terror even more real.

Growling and snarling even in her sleep, Rogue struggled with the throws of her nightmare, the images blending into her own terrors as well as Logan's even as he slid soundlessly into the room closing the door and dropping his jacket on a chair just as she sat up quickly gasping for breath her body reeking of sweat and fear.

Hurrying across the room, Logan grabbed Rogue, pulling her tight against him, holding her desperately shaking form. He'd been settling in for a beer at the bar when he'd felt it, like something crawling on his skin that had quickly escalated into a nightmarish pain that had made him grind his teeth. Rushing from the bar he'd sucked in the cool night air, even as he struggled to control his pounding heart and the rising nausea that filled his mouth with the acrid taste of vomit.

Climbing on his bike, he hadn't thought twice, instead he'd headed back for the mansion as fast as he could. Familiar images flashing before his mind's eye, memories playing out with painful clarity in a way that had scared him the first time it had happened. The knowledge that Rogue was probably asleep the only thing he could really focus on.

"Shh, I'm here," he whispered clutching her, feeling her young, supple body jerking with spasm of remembered terror even as he felt the searing pain that had invaded his body ease slowly, steadily. He could smell her fear, her pain, buried under the familiar smell of her sweat. The pounding of her heart loud in his ears, the soft mewling gasps she made tearing at him.

"Logan," the whimper drew a shudder from him as he rocked her.

"I'm here baby, I'm here," Logan repeated like a mantra, seeking sanity in an insane night. His hands were clumsy as they raced over her body, offering comfort, even as he pushed her hair back out of her eyes, "I'm right here Marie."

Nodding Rogue gasped for breath, the last vestiges of terror starting to fade even as she snuggled deeper into his arms, into the comfort he offered. From the muted look of pain in his eyes she knew he had been thinking the same thing she'd been dreaming and she clutched at him tightly.

"Oh God Logan," the words drew a smile from Logan who rocked her and pressed a kiss to her head, keeping a safe layer between her skin and his.

"Come on, lay down. Its going to be okay baby," he muttered softly as he eased her back onto the pillows before rising and shucking his clothes before pulling on a t-shirt and sweats to slide into the bed, pulling her close to him and holding tightly to her.

"It was so real," Marie whispered sadly, tearfully even as she shifted, moving in the tangled satin. "I couldn't stop it.."

"Shh," Logan whispered softly, "Easy now, you're doing good baby. Its okay just let it go. Don't think about it right now, we're almost there baby. Just let it go."

Closing her eyes, she nodded snuggling into him, her face buried in his chest and with a shaky sigh she slid into a troubled sleep. The knowledge that the nightmare could and probably would return making sleep a chore, even as her body curled around Logan and together they waited out the darkness for the morning.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerking awake, Jean lay there her heart pounding even as she listened. She could hear the faint but distinct sound of a bed creaking, of a headboard bumping against the wall intermittently. With a frown she sighed, curling up under her sheets even as her ears strained to hear if anyone was saying anything.

"Oh God LOGAN!" the words echoed in her mind and she rolled her eyes, even as the snippets of conversation she could make out only reinforced her opinion that Logan had managed to seduce Rogue.

With an unladylike snort Jean pulled the covers up, determined to mention it to Charles at the first opportune moment. Closing her eyes, and her mind she slid into a deep sleep, her mind tangled with the angry thoughts of what was happening in the next room.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glancing at the clock Logan groaned, it was nearly noon and both he and Rogue were still in bed. Since Rogue was sleeping soundly he had no intention of waking her, not after the night she'd had. Despite being wrapped in each other's arms, the nightmare had returned, plaguing Logan this time. Making it hard to sleep, even as Rogue soothed him with soft words and gentle touches, her warmth keeping him from destroying the bed.

Snuggling deeper into his pillow Logan wondered how it was that they could draw so much comfort from touching when they were both haunted by the same images. The mere fact that Rogue could look into his eyes with a level of knowledge after one of his nightmares scared Logan. In saving her life, he'd endangered her mental welfare and he took it hard, the guilt eating at his soul.

"Morning," Rogue's sleepy whisper drew a smile. "What time is it?"

"Lunch time," Logan grunted shifting, moving closer to her. The covers were tangled around them, the poor soul who made his bed would have to strip it completely before it could be straightened. "Sleep okay?"

"I guess," Rogue shrugged snuggling deeper into the warmth of his chest. "As okay as is possible I suppose. It was a bad night, the worst its been in ages."

"I know," Logan sighed. "I shouldn't have gone out."

"You can't keep staying here Logan," Rogue sighed nuzzling against the cotton of his shirt. "You need to get out, to have a life beyond this room."

With a low growl, Logan shifted, his leg trapping hers unintentionally. "My life is in this room baby. I don't need anything else.."

"You need to recharge every once in a while," she pointed out. "If you don't, you're going to get cranky."

"So we'll go for a drive or something."

"Logan," there was frustration in Rogue's voice. "I don't want you to think you have to watch over me."

"I don't," Logan replied softly, firmly. "I don't believe for a second I have to watch over you, I choose to. Now then, I'm starving what do you say to getting something to eat?"

"Ooh food," with a soft moan, she started to get out of bed, ending up giggling when Logan had to pull all the covers off just for the both of them to get out of bed. "Give me five minutes to shower and I'll be ready to go," she drawled as she shuffled off the bed with a smile.

"You got it," Logan grinned at her and watched her grab her clothes before disappearing into the bathroom. A few minutes later he watched her as she pulled her hair back into a tangled pony tail and donned a pair of jeans, a long sleeved shirt and one of the western denim shirts he'd bought her before grabbing a pair of gloves and heading for the door.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where is Logan and Rogue?" Storm muttered as they sat at the main table in the dining hall. "I haven't seen either of them since last night."

"Probably still in his room," Jean muttered under her breath just as Storm gasped. Feeling a shiver race up her spine she glanced at the doorway in time to see a rather rumpled looking Rogue, and a tired looking Logan stepping into the room.

From the way Logan kept one step away from Rogue it was obvious that they were in the midst of a private conversation but Jean couldn't help by pry. "Are you joining us Logan?" she asked softly, politely looking at Rogue who darted a glance at Logan before looking at the empty chair with her friends from school.

"I'll see you after," Rogue muttered with a strained smile and darted off, intent on having lunch even as she tried to ignore the residual terror that the night had wrought.

"What's up?" Logan glanced at Jean noting the fury in her eyes, but not really giving a shit his night had been worthless and he was tired and not in the mood to be tolerant.

"The Professor left this morning," Storm explained. "He'll be gone a day or so. Seems he got a call from an old friend he wants to reestablish ties with."

"Sounds like Chuck," Logan grunted even as he dug into his lunch. "Scooter go with him?"

"No, Scott is in the Danger Room running a new program," Jean snapped angrily. "How did you sleep last night? It was awfully late when you got back."

"Like the shits," Logan replied seriously looking at Jean. "Was awake on and off all night."

"Yeah, I'll bet," with a knowing smirk Jean nodded slightly before turning her attention back to her food. Ooh he was so pompous, who did he think he was? She thought angrily. Acting like he wasn't doing anything wrong. When the Professor got back, things would be different that was for sure. Jean wasn't going to let him continue abusing Rogue like this, she was just a kid. A kid who was infatuated with her hero - who was taking advantage of those emotions.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the next few days Logan noted that Jean's hostility seemed to get worse. Curious to know why, Logan watched her closely, guardedly, waiting for her to come to him. He didn't know what her problem was, and he wasn't going to pry - not when he had his own worries.

If there was one thing Logan would never recommend it would be to be careless with what you dream or more accurately what you passed on during an absorption. A few nights after Charles's return, and a rather dangerous mission that caused the team to be away from the mansion for a few days, Logan was awakened by the muted whimpers and low pitched cries coming from Marie. Knowing instantly that it was another of their shared nightmares from the images in his own head he groaned, reaching out for her and waking her gently.

The minute her eyes opened she flew out of the bed, a sickly look to her face. Following her easily, familiar with that look Logan turned on the heat lamp and held her hair back as she threw up. With each wretch of her body, with each second of the familiar violence of throwing up he cringed inwardly, guilt and pain tearing through his body.

"Shh, easy baby. Its okay, I've got you," he whispered softly, rubbing her back in a soothing caress even as he held her hair back from her face. He didn't envy her this, in fact he hated that she had to endure this but every time he mentioned his regret she would wave it off. A small price to pay for being alive was all she'd say so he left it alone, but it didn't stop the emotions that raced through him when he witnessed her reactions to his nightmares slash memories.

With a muted sob Rogue was violently ill again, her entire body trembling, covered in a fine sheen of sweat. Long after the heaving had stopped she sat there, a cool cloth pressed to her face even as she cried silently. Sinking to the floor, she barely noted the way Logan seemed to fold himself up and sit on the cold linoleum, cradling her head in his lap.

"It was so heinous, so revolting. I could taste it.." she whispered softly shakily. "It was like I was stuck sucking on metallic straws.."

"I know," Logan sighed. "I know baby. I'm sorry, this is my fault.."

"No, no it isn't," Rogue shivered even as he pulled a huge, fluffy bath towel off the rack and wrapped her in it to ward off the chills. "If it wasn't for you I'd be dead right now."

"Yeah but you wouldn't be having these nightmares either."

"It's a small price to pay to be with you Logan," Rogue whispered closing her eyes, her body automatically seeking out the warmth of his. "I'm so cold Logan."

"Just hang on a second," rising Logan darted back into the bedroom and pulled the comforter off the bed before returning to the bathroom and covering her with it. "Just try and get some sleep."

"Thank you," the soft whisper filled the room as he hit the switch, turning out the lights completely. Wrapped snugly into the blanket, it didn't take long for Rogue to slip back into the safety of sleep, her body exhausted even if her mind raced.

Sitting on the cold tile floor, Logan held her tightly even as he slipped into the darkness of sleep. He knew as well as she did that going back to their bed would only mean another sleepless night, another night of him smelling her fear and pain in the sweat soaked sheets. No this way they might actually get a few hours sleep, although he doubted they'd be well rested for the next day.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite her determination to speak to the Professor about Logan's treatment of Rogue, Jean didn't get a chance to fill him in for nearly a week. Waking up to the sounds of someone being violently ill, and the low pitched sound of Logan's voice Jean felt the renewal of her anger. Elbowing Scott sharply who jerked out of a sound sleep to stare through the sleep goggles at where his wife sat.

"What?" he hissed reaching for his glasses even as he sat up pulling off his sleep goggles in one smooth motion.

"Listen," Jean whispered softly, harshly.

Raising an eyebrow Scott listened to the sounds coming through their wall and sighed, "Sounds to me like Logan's sick."

"Its Rogue who's sick," Jean replied sliding out of bed and reaching for her robe. "I'm going to go check on her."

"Jean you go sticking your nose in you're likely to get it cut off," Scott warned. When it came to Rogue, Logan tended to be even more of a prick than normal. Any fool with eyes in their head could see that Logan considered Rogue his, he was protective without being smothering, possessive and yet Rogue had the run of her life. In short Logan watched out for Rogue to the exclusion of everyone around them.

"Scott I can't in good conscience sit here while she's ill.." Jean replied as she hurried toward the bedroom door. "Be right back."

"Yeah, and it might be through the wall." Scott grunted as he slipped from the warmth of their bed. Jean was being her usual caring self, but it wouldn't stop Logan from losing it.

Groaning at the pounding on the door Logan shifted, easing Rogue's head off his lap and rising to his feet. With a sharp sniff he growled low, a glance at the clock revealing it was nearly five thirty in the morning and the fact that Jean was pounding on his bedroom door told him something was wrong.

"What do you want?" Logan snarled jerking open the door and glaring at the red haired woman standing in front of his door.

"I heard Rogue.." Jean started.

"She's sleeping which is what you are going to let her do," Logan ground out, shifting to stop her from entering into the bedroom. "Go back to your own room."

"No, she might be seriously ill," Jean snapped pushing at his chest with one hand without thinking.

With a pained snort Logan glanced at Scott as he appeared behind his wife, "Take her back to bed. You two wake up Rogue and we'll need a new doctor and team leader." With a slight slam of the door Logan hurried back to where Rogue was starting to stir.

Kneeling he gathered her blanket and all into his arms and moved out into the main area of his suite before sinking onto the couch. Pulling her close he closed his eyes, it would be a few more hours before he got up, but he saw no reason why he shouldn't at least be somewhat more comfortable.

"Who was at the door?" Rogue's sleepy whisper drew a smile.

"An idiot," Logan rumbled as he let her curl up on him, his eyes drifting close without a second thought to Jean or Scott.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day had already started when Jean stalked down the hallway toward the Professor's office and stepped inside at his invitation.

"Something bothering you Jean?" he asked politely, his face a blend of curiosity and polite patience.

"Logan."

"What about him?" Charles asked. "He hasn't done any damage to the facilities in ages."

"I know, and I have an idea about why. He's been sleeping with Rogue."

Charles paused for a moment, trying to digest Jean's words. "Sleeping?"

"Yes, a few weeks back they woke me from a sound sleep with their muted whimpers and moans, last night Rogue woke me with the sounds of her being violently ill. I fear he's managed to harm her.." Jean started and the Professor nodded carefully.

Sitting there Charles wondered what had brought this on even as he gestured for Jean to continue. "Is there something else?"

"I have no problem with them being friends, but sir she's under aged, and emotionally she's incapable of dealing with the effects of being in a mature relationship with someone who likes to walk away before he gets too comfortable."

"Are you saying you think that Logan's managed to coerce her into having a sexual relationship?"

"I believe that may be the case. We both know Rogue is very much a fan of Logan's, she's infatuated with him to no end, if he told her he wanted her, she'd probably jump at it."

"I see. Perhaps we should all sit down and discuss this, get to the bottom of it." Charles said slowly, softly as he thought about what Jean had said.

It was true in a sense, Rogue was very delicate emotionally. With so many voices in her head her sense of self had been battered about, it was entirely possible that Logan could manipulate Rogue into something she wasn't ready for. They'd have to discuss it tomorrow or maybe later on today that was for sure. This was after all a school, there wasn't any way he would allow a situation of abuse to develop or grow.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watching Rogue out on the ball field running and playing baseball with the other kids her age, Logan took a long pull of his cigar and smiled slightly. Shifting he leaned back against the wall, one booted foot resting on it the other stretched out, locked to hold him up.

Obviously their unusual sleeping habits were paying off if she could interact with the others so easily. Not that he believed for a moment that she was cured, neither of them were really it was just a way to get what they both needed and to be able to deal with people on a regular basis without tearing them apart.

"Logan please come to my office!" the professor's firm request had him shaking his head.

"Figures," he muttered crushing his cigar out and heading inside, his steps sure as he headed down the hall. With a firm knock he opened the door and stepped inside, noting in passing the other bodies in the room.

With a nod at Storm he barely spared Jean a glance as he stared at the professor, "You wanted to see me?"

"Please have a seat," Charles said gesturing to a chair across from him.

Sinking into it Logan eyed him uneasily, "What's up?" Something told him that this situation wasn't going to be pleasant. He wondered about the borderline hostility in the room but focused on the Professor while he waited for them to start speaking.

"We're concerned for Rogue," Charles started easily, noting the way Logan tensed completely and a dart of something flashed in his eyes before he started to get up.

"Why? What's wrong with her?" Logan demanded, he knew her better than these pricks did, if there was a problem he'd find it out. Shit, if there was a problem he'd know about it before they did!

"How long has she been ill?" Jean asked coldly.

Turning his head Logan sighed, the anger coming off Jean was enough to stink up the entire room. More importantly there was something else, some harshness that Logan found to be cause for concern. Going from clueless to confused to pissed in a split second he glanced at Jean and found her smirking slightly at him.

"Just last night," Logan replied. "She doesn't usually get sick, that's usually me."

"I find that hard to believe," Jean muttered under her breath furious at Logan. Acting like he wasn't doing wrong, like he wasn't hurting Rogue with his need to control, to abuse.

"What's this about?" Logan demanded anger rising quickly. "And don't give me that line of shit that you're concerned cause it ain't going to wash. I know more about Rogue in a split second then you'll ever know. She's fine right now, tired, drained emotionally from last night but otherwise unharmed."

"It was brought to my attention that you and Rogue's relationship is a bit.." Charles sighed. "Unorthodox."

"And that's a problem because?"

"Rogue is a child, do you have any idea what you're doing to her?" Jean snarled before Charles could speak.

"As a matter of fact I am completely aware of Rogue's needs. All of them," Logan snapped back something not quite right with the words she was putting together. "Spit it out Jean."

"You're in a position of power, you shouldn't be encouraging her to.." Jean started.

"To what?" Logan felt his stomach twist and glanced at the others. "To what Jean? Get eight fuckin' hours of uninterrupted sleep? Maybe its about the fact that she still has the nightmares!"

"The fact that she has nightmares is not really surprising," Charles said softly, "She did after all absorb a lot of your memories, and being in that machine was enough to give anyone a nightmare or two. No what we're discussing is your adult relationship.."

"Adult relationship?" Logan froze as he figured he had caught their meaning. "You think we're fucking?"

"I wouldn't use that word," Charles replied softly, his tone one of indulgent patience.

"What word would you use then?" Logan drawled coldly.

"You're using her infatuation with you to get laid," Jean snapped angrily rising to pace. "Its called.."

"You are so full of shit," Logan rose sharply and glared at her. "Don't you say it! Don't you dare say it Jean or so help me.. You haven't got a clue about Rogue and I's relationship. You're judging us based on what? The fact that you're jealous? Or maybe it has more to do with the fact that you aren't the absolute favorite around here. Grow up Jean, and stay the hell outta Rogue and I's business."

"I heard you two on more than one occasion.." Jean snapped angrily as Logan stepped toward her.

"Heard us?" With a sharp shake of his head Logan glared at her, "I don't know what you're fuckin' talking about Jean. If you've heard us than usually its because one of us has been absent when the other has gone to bed or the nightmare's just too powerful. Rogue and I sleep together it helps us keep the nightmares at bay, keep the fear from dragging us down, end of discussion. You don't like it, tough. Our sanity is a lot more important than your fuckin' pride. And as for any noise that's made, you try keeping quiet when you're mind is swimming with terror, pain, and see how far you get."

"Not when she's a child.." Charles spoke up quickly. "Logan you must understand we do have to be cautious.."

"This is a school Logan," Scott said crisply. "And we have rules that must be followed, besides that its illegal as hell to engage in an abusive situation.."

"Abuse?" Logan ground out his claws itching to get out. "Just for the sake of my own piece of mind lets clarify this. Are you implying that I'm using my position as her friend to continually rape Rogue?"

"Rape is such a strong word," Storm said softly.

"Oh well lets take a pick of `em then. Sexually assault, molest, violate, defile.. the list goes on. Just answer the mother fuckin' question," the statement was snarled out as his claws came out to full extension, gleaming in the sunlight. Ignoring the faint but familiar smell of fear that soaked the air Logan glared at those who were gathered as the realization of what they were thinking sunk in.

"Yes," Jean snapped smugly. "That is exactly what we're implying."

With a slow nod Logan glanced at them, "And you're all of the same thought?" his hazel eyes scanned all of them, noting the victory in Jean's eyes as well as the concern and fear from the others in the room.
"Yes," Jean replied firmly before everyone could answer for themselves.

"I see. Despite the fact that I've proven more than once that I'd fuckin' die for her its not enough for you. Not once in the entirety of our association have I ever ever done anything that would purposely endanger her mentally, physical, or emotionally. So how the hell can you sit there and say that I'm hurting her?"

"You're using your position of power to hold onto her. She's just a kid Logan," Jean started only to stutter to a stop when Logan shook his head and his claws retracted quickly.

"Fine, you're off base and fucked up but hey! Who the fuck am I to argue ? I'm just a well trained guard dog you can batter around," Logan stalked toward the door angrily, the nerve of these bastards. "Did you bother to ask? No, instead you jumped to conclusions, made accusations that are groundless and now, now you get to deal with the consequences. Don't worry `bout what's happening behind my bedroom door any longer."

The slam of the door was enough to shake the entire wall as Logan stalked off, headed back outside. He needed to talk to Rogue, needed to vent some anger and destroy something and her presence was calming for him. With a furious shake of his head he switched direction, no point in disturbing her just yet let her have a few moments of normalcy.

Stalking through the mansion he slammed his bedroom door and swore. "Fuckin' idiots," he muttered furiously. "We're just concerned for Rogue's well being. Ha, there's two telepaths here, and neither of `em seems to know what really goes on in here."

Sinking onto the edge of his bed, Logan sat there hunched over staring at the floor anger still racing through him. It had been a long time since he'd felt this much anger, this much rage. The thought that nobody seemed to figure he was looking out for Rogue only added fuel to an already explosive temper. The mere fact that they figured that he'd hurt Rogue was mind boggling, and it sickened him. Twisting his stomach, making him uncomfortable and bitter.

Jean's jealousy had put him in a dangerous position, if he stayed, if he gave Rogue the comfort she needed there was more than a slim chance that he'd wind up in jail which would have disastrous results for Rogue. But if he left, if he disappeared back onto the road it would destroy Rogue and he just couldn't do that to her.

"Logan?" Rogue's soft voice had him glancing up sharply at the doorway. She stood there looking at him with a puzzled look on her face, fear in her eyes and coming off her body in waves. "What's wrong?"

"X-geeks are pricks," Logan grunted, waving her into the room.

"What happened? Jubilee said she over heard Jean and Scott discussing us last night."

"Jean accused me of something really disgusting," Logan replied tiredly and smiled sardonically at Rogue. "Like I'd ever fuckin' hurt you."

"What did she accuse you of?" Rogue asked, a paleness coming to her features as she settled on the bed next to him, sitting close but not touching.

"Don't matter," Logan shrugged. "I'm outta here. Its for the best I think if I just disappear, vanish.."

Rogue paled even further, her breath leaving her in a gasp as she stepped back from him, "She can't do that!"

"I'm afraid she can," Logan whispered sadly. "Considering that its either leave or get arrested.."

Rogue stood staring at Logan for a few seconds before she swallowed, "This has to do with me sleeping here doesn't it? Look I'll start sleeping in my room, I promise Logan. I won't.."

"Don't worry about it," Logan rose and pulled her close in a firm hug. "The choice is yours, you can come with me or stay here."

"I'm coming with you," Rogue said quickly, without hesitation.

"You do realize that its not going to be easy, that what we've got here isn't going to be what we'll have on the road?" Logan pointed out.

"We'll have food right? And a place to sleep, somewhere nobody cares if we sleep in the same bed, somewhere we don't have to worry about people stickin' their noses in," Rogue said logically. "We'll have time to deal with the nightmares right?"

"Of course, I know where I can get a truck and camper. Its going to be cramped but it's big enough for the two of us. And I'll make sure we've got everything you need."

"Then we're set. Besides, when you think of what we're leaving behind us, I have to say its better on the road."

Smiling Logan just held onto her, feeling his anger easing. "You got class in five minutes don't you?"

"Yeah, history."

"You'd best get along to it. Don't want them to know what we're doing before we're gone."

With a smile and a nod, Rogue headed for the door. Stepping out into the hall she blinked at the sight of Jean walking toward her.

"Rogue," Jean smiled easily, "How are you?" "Oh very well," Rogue smiled coldly. "Better every day, no thanks to you," almost skipping she headed for the staircase. The minute she was at the foot of the stairs she paused before heading for the Professor's office. She wanted to know what had been said, and the nagging thought of what she guessed only drew on the well of her anger making her wish she could pound on someone.

"Come in Rogue," Charles said without looking up from his papers.

"Professor," Rogue closed the door softly and stalked across the room to sink uninvited into a chair. "You got a few minutes?"

"Of course," Charles smiled softly, easily at the young woman. He was well aware of her loyalties, and knew as soon as she found out about the meeting she'd come to see him. "What can I do for you?"

"You can explain what the hell went on earlier," Rogue replied firmly. "What did you say to Logan?"

"I rather think.."

"I want the truth Professor, not some little story."

"It was brought to my attention that perhaps Logan was taking liberties he shouldn't be," Charles said quickly. "We called him on
it!"

"Just who do you think he's been hurting?"

"Rogue," Charles sighed, it was unlikely the girl thought her position unusual.

"Me?" Rogue shook her head and glared at the man across from her. "We've been together from day one, we're close, he wouldn't hurt me.."

"Perhaps not intentionally," Charles declared. "But we both know that he isn't the most stable of people.."

"Have you forgotten that I'm not that stable either? Together we're almost conventional, almost a whole person. How can you sit there and insinuate that Logan would ever hurt me?"

"Rogue, I understand you defending him. I really do, but the fact remains that he's a lot older than you are. As long as you're underage he shouldn't be encouraged to carry on a rather mature.."

Shaking her head, Rogue sighed. "Logan loves me, he understands what its like to have images in your mind that haunt you. He understands what it means to relive the past every night. If anyone around here
doesn't understand that its you guys," rising Rogue stalked over to the door, jerking it open and slipping past it. The sound of it clicking shut struck Charles with a level of finality that scared him.

In judging Logan's behavior so harshly they may have just created more problems than they'd solved. It was common knowledge that both Logan and Rogue shared nightmares, that the really bad ones usually kept Rogue apart from everyone for several days. Logan was the only person Rogue seemed comfortable talking to about them, and even then the conversations were so cryptic, so stilted that a stranger listening in wouldn't understand what was being discussed.

With a soft sigh, Charles wondered if he should try talking to Logan again, try discussing what was happening without the anger and tension in the room. Shaking his head he decided against it, there was no way Logan would listen to him now. Perhaps tomorrow would be better!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The door to his bedroom clicked shut and Logan glanced up through the fading light to smile at Rogue. Dressed in jeans, boots and a long sleeved sweater with her duffel bag in her hands she smiled back at him and waited for him to finish packing.

"You sure about this?" Logan whispered softly.

"I'm very sure Logan, I need you."

Smiling Logan nodded, "I know," Zipping his bag up he tossed it over his shoulder and grabbed her duffel bag. It was time for those in the mansion to be watching television or in their rooms studying, so it would be remarkably easy to slip out unnoticed.

"So where we going?" Rogue asked as Logan shot the room one more glance.

"North," Logan grunted as he opened the door and slid out into the hallway. "We'll head for Niagra Falls, pick up a rig, and head west. Anywhere in particular you wanna go?"

"Alaska would be nice, always wanted to go."

"Alaska it is, or as close as we can get."

Slipping soundlessly out into the garage, Logan glanced at the vehicles then shrugged, they'd have to take something into town then they'd switch over either that or drive it up and use it for a trade for the truck and camper. The fact that he was stealing it didn't even bother him, instead he remembered the anger and rage that still swam beneath the surface at their belief that he'd hurt Rogue.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tensing slightly, Charles glanced up at the sound of a low engine purring. Turning his head he glanced out the window and stared at the fading taillights of the Mercedes as it rolled through the gates.

A quick scan revealed that both Logan and Rogue had left, and he sighed. They had obviously felt it was safer, easier out in the world than here and he wondered about it. Picking up the envelope that had found its way to his desk sometime during the evening, Charles opened it and pulled out a letter. Unfolding it he began reading, his usual calm manner changing, growing uneasy as he realized what had happened.

In accusing Logan of hurting Rogue, they'd lost both of them. Accusing Logan had only reinforced their belief that they weren't wanted, weren't trusted - any fool knew Logan would kill for Rogue, and had done it before! What Jean had heard was a means of comfort for them, it wasn't about passion, about sex, it was about normalcy, about sanity and the desire to claim it on the part of a pair of mutants whose sanity had taken a ride through troubled waters.

Glancing once more at the letter Charles stared at the simple line before the signature, "Logan and I need each other, need more than you can give us. Rogue."

Tossing the letter back onto his desk Charles cursed fluently, using words no one ever heard him using. He felt like he'd let both Logan and Rogue down, and it bothered him no end. Long after the lights had faded, long after the sound of the engine had disappeared Charles sat in his office, his mind whirling, racing over memories of Logan and Rogue.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From where he sat staring out the window, Charles couldn't help but feel like he'd failed. Failed both Logan and Rogue. It had been three months since the mansion had awakened to find that the unusual couple had disappeared sometime during the night.

Charles knew exactly when they'd left, just after dinner while everyone else was busy watching television or doing homework. The soft purr of the Mercedes' engine echoed in his mind now, as did the words Rogue had written down.

Turning from the window, Charles pulled open a drawer and pulled out the letter before opening it again. The white paper was well worn, folded, unfolded, and refolded numerous times - so often that in fact he'd memorized the lines.

Each time he allowed himself to dwell on the reasons for their departure Charles would ultimately try to get them to come back to the mansion, to resolve the matter. And as often as he made contact mentally, he would get an undisputable response that said get lost.

"Any luck?" Storm asked softly from the doorway.

"No," Charles sighed, "They're unwilling to return to the mansion."

"Do you think an apology would help?"

"No, not from us," Charles sighed as he wheeled away from the desk. "I don't understand why this situation fell apart like it did."

"Perhaps, the accusations were unfounded. Once I had a chance to think about it, I couldn't fathom Logan doing anything like that to Rogue. He's too protective of her.."

"I know," Charles replied sadly, turning from his desk to stare out the window. He had a bad feeling that this time they'd all jumped the gun on the situation, something that he should have known better than to do - especially considering he was the most powerful telepath in the mansion! The thought of why the accusations had been raised had also started to bother him, what would possess Jean to raise the alarm on a situation she of all people should know better about?


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cracking his neck audibly Logan downshifted the chevy and pulled into the driveway of the small two room house he and Rogue shared. Killing the engine he slid out of the cab and headed up the steps, opening the door and slipping inside easily.

A quick sniff revealed Rogue was in the kitchen and she was making something that was really smelling good if his nose didn't deceive him. With a smile he dropped his coat on the nearby coat rack, kicked his boots off and padded further into the home they'd built.

"That you Logan?"

"Yeah baby, hows it going?"

"Good," Rogue's voice held a smile as Logan walked into the kitchen and stopped to watch her. She stood in front of the sink peeling potatoes, her long hair pulled back away from her face, a look of peace on her face. "Got my text books today."

"Good, good you need them. Need to be able to complete your schooling."

"The Professor tried to reach me again today," Rogue said after a few seconds of companionable silence. "Wants me to return to the mansion, doesn't want me to be where I'm at risk."

"Yeah I know, he's been trying pretty hard to convince me that you'd be better off with them," Logan replied fury darkening his expression as he jerked open the fridge door and jerked out a beer.

"I don't want to go back Logan, I don't want to have to deal with that shit anymore."

"I know," Logan leaned against the counter next to her, a bottle of cold beer in his hands. "But we might not have a choice. Here you're of age, free to do as you wish, but in New York..we'd have to make other arrangements."

"I ain't going back Logan, I'm happy here."

"I know," Logan glanced out the window and sighed. The nightmares had faded, and while still potent and harsh they were seldom. Most nights they slept straight through without a flicker of darkness invading their dreams. Of course, some of that could be attributed to the fact that they slept together, in the same bed, often wrapped around each other but that was okay it was the way they both wanted it.

"Is there a way to stop ‘em from takin' me back with them?" Rogue asked softly and Logan shot her a glance as he took another pull of his beer.

"Yeah," Logan grunted pushing away from the counter and heading for the cutting block. Might as well make himself useful, "get married."

Rogue paused at the easy way Logan said that, she didn't think he even knew what the word meant and to hear it fall so easily from his lips? "You serious?"

"Yeah," Logan glanced at her easily and shrugged. "Legally they wouldn't be able to say a god damned thing, and they wouldn't be able to force you back to New York."

"But.." Rogue sighed putting the peeler down and turning to face him.

"If we got married, you'd become a Canadian citizen, as such they could rant and rave until hell froze over and it wouldn't do them any good. As a Canadian you could stay here if you wanted to - for as long as you wanted."

"But what about you?" Rogue asked softly, she knew as well as anyone that Logan was an intensely sensual person. The mere fact that he was home when he wasn't fighting or more importantly when he could be out fucking something in a skirt was surprising. "What would you be getting out of it? I mean as it is you're not exactly getting any uh.."

"I've got everything I need," Logan replied stiffly. He knew what Rogue was hinting at, knew exactly how long it had been since he'd gotten laid and he didn't particularly care. As long as Rogue was around he had no desire to start bed hopping, he knew it wouldn't work, his body didn't seem too upset about the lack of sex. And after all, if he needed to get off that badly there was always the shower.

"Sure you do," Rogue smiled sadly. "How long has it been Logan?"

"Why? You want to take care of it for me?" Logan shot back, uncomfortable with the line of questioning.

"I just don't want you to wake up one morning and realize that you're doing without because of me," she replied softly a sadness coming into her eyes.

"Baby, I'd rather spend my nights holding onto you then with some stranger. Sex isn't everything."

"But what about if we got married?" Rogue demanded. "I can't see you.."

"If you want to then we will, but for right now stop worrying about it!" Logan smiled suddenly at her. "I'm fine Marie, I've got you and that's the best thing in the world. What we share is more satisfying than some one night stand with a stranger."

"As long as you're sure."

"I could spend the rest of my life like this," Logan admitted softly a slight frown marring his features. "Whatever happens between us is mutual, we're a team baby."

With a nod Rogue smiled and turned back to her potatoes, she finished peeling the last one and handed it to him with a wink. "So when do you wanna get married?" she asked softly.

"Have to have a blood test first, and get all the paperwork from the courthouse. How about next Monday?"

"Monday sounds great."

With an affectionate bumping of shoulders the conversation veered off into much easier topics, the issues resolved to their liking but not forgotten. Sooner or later they both knew that they'd have to discuss taking that next step, taking a walk on the rapidly growing sexual awareness between them. For now though, they were resolved to just focus on preventing anyone from taking Rogue back to New York.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I wonder how she is," Jubilee said laying on her stomach on Kitty's bed and staring at her friend.

"She's with Logan, probably doing pretty damn good."

"Kitty!" Jubilee was shocked, Kitty rarely swore and for her to be so casual about their friend's current location was startling.

"What? We all know Logan'll watch out for her. He'd die for her, or have you forgotten that she's nearly killed him twice?" Kitty demanded looking at her friend. "And Logan's a big guy, if he didn't want Rogue to touch him, she sure as heck wouldn't be doing it."

"I know," rolling off the bed Jubes walked over to the window, "I just wonder why they left. What was so important out there that they couldn't find here?"

"Maybe we'll never know," Kitty sighed. "She hasn't called in all the months they've been gone. There's been no letter, no word that she's wherever the hell she is.."

"Oh its guaranteed that they are together," Jubilee sighed and swore profusely. "And I intend to find out where. I want to see for myself that they're happy where they are, maybe we can talk her into coming home!"

"We?" Kitty squeaked. "Jubilee, I ain't tangling with the Wolverine."

"Oh quit being such a wimp and come on. She is your friend you know," Jubes pointed out quickly as she hurried toward the bedroom door.

"Yeah I know," Kitty whispered as Jubilee disappeared. "I also know that she's where she wants to be, with who she wants to be with. Rogue's loved Logan as long as I can remember and Logan's hooked on her pretty badly."

"Come on!" With a sigh Kitty rose and hurried to catch up, morphing through the walls easily.

Together they snuck toward the Professor's office and smiled when they noticed that the door was ajar. Hunkering down in the space behind the couch they waited, listening in on the conversation.

"Any idea where he's got her?" Scott's voice was threaded with anger and disgust.

"A small community in Northern Canada, close to Alaska," Charles said quickly, his tone even. "Storm and I are going to be driving up."

"Why not fly?" Scott asked. "I don't trust him not to do something.."

"Logan wouldn't hurt her," Charles sighed sadly. "Regardless of what we thought was going on, anything and everything that happens between them is their choice. Rogue has just as much power as Logan does."

"I don't think so," Jean spoke quickly, her tone as dark as Scott's. "I think as long as they're together he's going to continue on the same destructive path. She's a smart girl, there was no reason for her to run.."

"She had a good reason," Charles replied quickly looking at Jean. "One you'd have seen had you bothered to ask rather than accuse."

"My feelings on the matter haven't changed."

"I can see that," Charles sighed, "However, Logan wouldn't do anything to endanger her, not now, not then. So Storm and I will be going to Dawson City and you two will remain here. The object is to speak to them, to try and convince them to come home. Not make the situation even worse."

"We don't need him here," Scott snapped.

"Yes we do," Charles replied. "Logan has been invaluable to us, to our cause and you know it as well as I do. I wish both of you would get over this hostility and quickly. If we're lucky enough to be successful, Logan and Rogue will be returning and joining the team."

"As you wish Professor," Jean said softly, "But I must restate that I think this is a bad idea! Logan can only hurt her further.."

Shaking his head Charles stared at Jean, "Your objection is duly noted. Storm and I are leaving first thing in the morning. We should make contact within a couple of weeks."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glancing at Jubilee Kitty frowned, the look on the other woman's face sent a shaft of fear straight to her heart. Oh God, please don't let her be going to stick her nose in! Kitty prayed even as Jubilee rose and hurried back along the hallway.

"What are you thinking?" Kitty whispered as they started back up the stairs.

"I think it's time we went for a little plane ride."

"Jubilation Lee!" Kitty gaped at her. "The professor is going to have our hides, not to mention Wolverine may just kill us and leave our corpses for the scavengers."

"Oh hush," Jubilee smiled and grabbed a small back pack. "Couple changes of clothes, some money and we're off."

Shaking her head and muttering under her breath, Kitty followed Jubilee's example. Somehow she thought this was a bad, bad idea.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dressed in black jeans and a white shirt, Logan glanced at Rogue and smiled slightly. Today was their wedding day, and she looked better than usual. Her long hair was done up in an elaborate braid, a pale blue blouse and jeans were her attire and she had a smile on her face.

"Well that was interesting," Rogue giggled. "Thought that guy was going to have a fit when you kissed me with the scarf."

"Some people don't get it!" Logan replied with a grin. "Besides, I think it was a good day."

"Yeah," Rogue agreed. "It was a very good day!"

"How we doing for money?" Logan asked softly after a few minutes of silence. "Got about a hundred bucks left, and we need gas and some groceries," Rogue admitted watching him carefully. She knew it was highly unlikely that either of them would ever get a normal job around here, for one there wasn't a whole lot of work to be done, and for two they lived too far away from the rest of the community - not just physically by psychologically as well.

With a muted grunt Logan shrugged, rolling his shoulders beneath his leather jacket, "There's a fight in town tonight. Could make a few bucks.."

"Logan I don't like the thought of you fighting. What if you got hurt? Or worse?"

"I'll be careful baby," Logan replied. Neither considered his mutation in the equation, there wasn't any point. After all they weren't talking physical injury but emotional, mental injury the kind that took a long time to heal from.

"Well we certainly need the money," Rogue sighed softly and glanced at him. "You figure you'll stay in town after the fight?"

"No," Logan shot her a glance and a smile. "Fights a fight baby, once its over I'm coming home."

Smiling Rogue nodded, "Okay, then I'll stay out at the house."

Logan nodded, the house was the safest place for her. Nobody ever bothered them, not after Logan had nearly skewered some stupid fool who'd been trying to impress upon her his worth and his body. Since then, anyone fool enough to go after her was treated with outright scorn on the part of the locals.

"I shouldn't be too long. Just long enough to make a few bucks, then I'll be back." Logan said pulling into their driveway and putting the truck into park.

With a small smile, Rogue leaned over dropping a quick kiss on his cheek covered by the days stubble and reached for the door. "I'll be waiting."

"You get tired, put this on." Logan stated jerking off his jacket and pulling off one of the flannel shirts he wore to hand to her. It wasn't him, but they both knew neither could really sleep without the other. "I'll see you soon."

With a smile Rogue took the shirt and headed inside. Closing the door she listened to his truck as it faded away, and sighed. She was married, she had a husband, a home to keep, a life of her own. With a shake of her head and a short laugh she started for the kitchen, "Some wedding night!"

After making a pot of coffee, she sat down at the table with one of the books on sewing she'd bought and opened it. Maybe she could make some extra money making and selling clothes.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think we're lost," Kitty moaned for the fifth time since they'd left the last gas station.

"Kitty would you please just look at the map?" Jubilee asked as she spotted a driveway coming up. "Wait, maybe we can get some help here." Pulling off the main road onto the driveway she drove up the
short dirt road and stopped in front of a small, white and green house with a wrap around porch.

"I sure hope they're home," Kitty muttered getting out of the car, "Cause otherwise we're screwed."

"Kitty such language from you," Jubilee stared at her friend. "Come on," half dragging a still protesting Kitty behind her she stalked up the steps and knocked on the door. A brief thought to who might live here crossing her mind but she pushed it aside and focused on the white wooden door.

Frowning at the knock, Rogue set her book down and rose to pad silently to the front door. With the chain still in place she opened it and peered out only to curse with the fluency learned from Wolverine. Closing the door she took the chain off and jerked open the door to stare at the pair on the porch.

"What the hell are you doing here?" she growled standing with her arms crossed over her chest.

"Hey Rogue, glad to see you to," Jubilee said stepping forward and ducking past the auburn haired girl with Kitty close behind. Stopping in the foyer, she turned to study Rogue for the first time.

The other girl stood before them in a tank top, sweats and little else. There were no gloves on her hands, no socks on her feet, not a scarf to be seen anywhere and Jubilee wondered if maybe she'd mastered her control, "So uh.."

"Its my house, I don't have to dress up like a friggin' mummy," Rogue growled angrily. "Something you wanted? Or did the Professor send you up here just for the drive?"

"The Professor didn't send us," Kitty stated quickly and calmly. "We left before he did.."

"Left before he did?" Rogue croaked her anger fading to be replaced by a near panic.

"Yeah, he's driving up with Storm," Jubilee stated. "Wants to talk to you about Logan, and why you left the mansion. Which Chica I really think you should have told us about!"

"Why? It doesn't matter."

"Yes it does," Kitty snapped. "We're your friends, we care about what happens in your life."

Shaking her head Rogue sighed, "Come on in. Coffee's hot."

"Rogue please, we just want to know why you'd feel the need to run. I mean did someone say something? Or do something that hurt your feelings?"

"Something like that." Rogue replied quietly as she pulled two extra cups from the cupboard. "It doesn't matter anymore, we've built a life for ourselves without the mansion."

"Where is Wolvmiester?" Jubilee asked softly.

"In town," Rogue replied firmly. "Making some money."

"Oh, how you doing Rogue? And no bullshit."

Smiling Rogue stared at the window of her house, how was she doing? "I'm doing great! I'm learning how to sew, how to make some money without leaving the house. I go into town to school twice a week, shopping, every other week. And I haven't had a nightmare in over a month."

Jubilee glanced at Kitty then back at Rogue, "Is that why you're with him? Cause he helps with the nightmares?"

"No," Rogue shook her head quickly, her face revealing her thoughts. "I'm with him because he needs me. He loves me."

"What about you?" Jubes asked softly, curious to know what would keep Rogue here in the middle of nowhere.

"Logan's my best friend in the world. He understands about me, and he doesn't care about my skin, or the voices in my head, or any of that shit. Logan accepts me for who I am, faults and all and I love him for that."

"But is it enough to keep you happy when he decides he's leaving again? When he goes off on another of his searches?"

"He'll come back,'" Rogue declared and turned to the cupboard. "You hungry? I have to fix something for dinner, might as well eat."

"Rogue we're concerned for you," Kitty stated softly. "This isn't like you. I mean you don't just up and disappear without a word of warning to someone, to let us know what the fuck is happening."

"Kitty, I couldn't explain it to you if I tried. Logan and I need more than what the mansion can give us. We need each other."

"And you can't have that at the mansion?" Jubes demanded as the sound of a vehicle pulling in had a smile crossing Rogue's face.

"No, not like it is here,"Rogue replied quickly and hurried from the kitchen toward the front door. Opening it she smiled a greeting at Logan who eyed the car with hostility. "Jubes and Kitty came up," she explained softly.

Logan growled low in his throat and swore, "Let me guess they're worried about you."

"Yeah," Rogue smiled as he picked her up in a bone crushing hug. "But that's okay. I ain't leaving you, not now not ever."

"Good to hear," Logan replied with a smile and followed her inside to close and lock the door easily.

Making dinner with Rogue was easy, familiar and Logan for the most part ignored the pair sitting at his kitchen table watching them. It didn't matter what the fuck they said, or did Marie was his now, and everyone else could go fuck themselves.

After a tense, mostly silent meal, cleanup, and a round of coffee Logan grunted he'd get the girl's bags and headed outside. Collecting the four bags he carried them into the spare bedroom and dropped them unceremoniously on the floor.

"You're gonna have to share the bed. Either that or sleep on the floor," he grunted as he glanced at them before heading for the shower. "And no long showers either, round here we have a small hot water tank and it takes a while to refill and reheat it."

"Yes sir," Jubilee muttered sarcastically. "I gotcha."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sliding into bed Rogue glanced at the heavy blanket that hung from the bedroom window. The only thing about being this far north that she didn't particularly like was the fact that it was still daylight at two in the morning. A glance at the clock revealed that it was close to twelve and she sighed, closing her eyes and pulling the sheet up over her body.

The slight movement of the mattress as Logan slid into bed drew a tired smile from her, "The Professor's coming," she whispered softly and felt Logan tense. "But it don't matter, not a hope in hell he's gonna get what he wants."

"I know," Logan sighed. "God why can't they just let us live our lives and forget about it? No matter what baby, we ain't running. I ain't giving everything up for them again, we ain't going to lose anymore than we already have."

Snuggling into his warmth Rogue nodded, "No more running Logan, not for either of us."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like the cold, cruel darkness of a tomb the nightmares invaded Rogue's mind. Images of men in white coats, men with military uniforms holding champagne glasses as they laughed above her. The intense pain of being cut into, of hot liquid being poured into the open wounds making her scream out in agony, in protest.

Thrashing in the water, sucking it in she could feel it burn in her lungs, feel the weight of the metal invading her body, hear the angry snarling of her voice - or rather Logan's voice as she lay there.

Muted voices coming through water had her struggling harder, renewing her attempts to get free only to find she was being held down by the restraints, by the pain of being rebuilt from the inside out!

Slowly the images shifted, suddenly she wasn't in a tank filled with water but standing staring out over the water at Liberty Island. Watching as Logan fought with Sabertooth even as searing pain invaded her body as the machine whirred, and spun around her.

Screaming in pain she struggled with the images in her mind as she watched the light grow, spread out over the bay toward New York City. "NO! Help me! Logan, help me!" Sitting up sharply she screamed, fighting against the blankets, against the stench of metal, of pain that still filled her body, against the agony that seemed to tear her body into pieces.

"Its okay, I've got you," Logan's soft voice drew a shudder from her even as she sat there shaking, trembling her body wracked by terror, soaked with sweat. "I've got you now baby, its okay."

"Why now?" Rogue sobbed softly, "Why would it suddenly...?"

"Rogue?" Jubilee's voice only preceded her appearance in the doorway by a mere second.

"Get out," Logan growled pulling Rogue tighter into his warmth, into his body and ignoring the tremors that raced through him. Like her he'd been caught in the nightmare again, pulled down against his will
into the darkness that for so many years had mired his nights. "Shh, I've got you baby. You're safe now, its gonna be okay." he whispered to Rogue who shuddered and clung to him.

Tunneling his fingers through her hair he held her head close to him, tucked against the safe turtleneck undershirt he wore. Rubbing his chin on her head, he held her, rocking back and forth slowly, uncaring of the pair that stood in the doorway watching them.

"I'm right here Marie, I'm right here," he repeated even as she cried, her hands coming up to cling to his arms as she struggled to get as close to him as possible. If he could have figured a way to do it, he'd let her crawl right into him but that was impossible so he offered the only thing he could. Unconditional support. "I've got you Marie, and I'm not about to let go. Nobody's gonna hurt you again, nobody."

Rogue nodded sobbing harshly, her chest still aching even as she kicked at the sheet again, pushing it away to reveal bare feet. Tonight was her night to sleep in whatever she wanted, or nothing at all and she'd opted for a short nightgown, one that allowed her skin to be soothed by the cotton of their bed.

"Don't let go," Rogue pleaded softly, "Please Logan, don't let go."

"I wouldn't do that baby," Logan whispered sliding a glance at the doorway and watching the pair scatter at the dark, pain filled glare he sent toward them. "You're mine Marie, I'm always going to be here for you."

Closing the bedroom door softly Kitty stared at Jubilee at the soft, soothing murmurs coming from the next room over. "I thought she said.."

"I've never seen anything.." Jubes sighed sadly feeling the sting of tears. "He loves her, I never thought for a moment that we wouldn't be able to talk her into coming home but now.."

Listening to Rogue's muted sobs, and Logan's calm voice whispering in the darkness Kitty glanced at Jubilee and sighed, there was nothing to do but go back to bed. Crawling beneath the covers she lay staring at the ceiling long after she'd pulled the covers back up, listening to the soft sobs fade, the whispers continue, until muted gasps, and whimpers filled the darkness.

"Please Logan," Rogue whispered softly, trailing her hands over his shirt covered chest. "Please, can we?"

Smiling Logan held her tightly, "Whatever you want baby. Tell me what you want, let me be there for you."

"Touch me, make love to me," Rogue whispered even as she felt Logan shift, reach for one of the many scarves the kept around the bed for nights when the nightmares struck and he wasn't wearing clothes.

"You sure?"

"Very, I want to feel you, I want to touch you."

With a patient smile, a sexy smirk, Logan leaned in to kiss her gently, his body moving so she was under him. Despite the length of their relationship, they had never moved onto the sexual side of things. Tonight though, he sensed she needed him to take her, needed to be one with him just as he needed her to take him. Tonight both of them needed the benefits of being together sexually, experiencing the normalcy of the act itself.

The soft whimpers and the faint creaking of bedsprings had Kitty sucking in a deep breath before she glanced to her right to stare at Jubilee who was laying there staring back at her. It was obvious what was happening in the next room, what was going on between them but neither could bring themselves to feel anything but a quiet contentment at the thought.

"We shouldn't have come," Jubilee whispered and rolled over to face the wall, listening to Rogue's soft whimpers of horror change to ones of pleasure, of the soft breathy sounds of her responding to Logan's touch. Grabbing for an extra pillow as the sounds got a little louder, she pulled it over her head and squeezed her eyes closed. Logan was obviously a very talented man, he would have to be considering some of the sounds, the gasps coming from their bedroom.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dawn found Kitty rolling over to get a sharp jab in the ribs from Jubilee, "Jubes come on, it was a long enough night without this!" She whispered softly as she sat up, kicking off the blankets and pacing toward the kitchen. If nothing else she could get a drink of water.

Padding into the room she paused, Logan stood at the sink, sipping on what was obviously a cup of freshly brewed coffee, "Morning."

"Yeah whatever," Logan grunted without looking at her.

"How's Rogue this morning? Bad night last night?"

"She's sleeping, and if it wasn't for the constant snoring from your room I'd still be sleeping as well."

"We were worried about her," Kitty explained softly. "Its not like Rogue to just.."

"Run?" Logan asked lethally. "When did you start caring what she did? Just like every other geek from Westchester, worried about appearances."

"Look whatever reason you two had for disappearing is your own, but she needs more than this. She needs to be with people who understand, who care about her."

"And you think I don't?"

"I think you care about her, but we both know that you aren't the stationary kind."

With a pitying shake of his head Logan sighed, "You aren't any smarter than any of the other Geeks. Everyone figures you've got Rogue figured out but you don't."

"And you do?"

Logan turned and stared coldly at Kitty who stepped back uneasily. "I know Rogue better than anyone else will ever know her."

"Yeah," Kitty whispered as he walked away. "Peas in a pod."


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breakfast was stilted, tense and both Jubilee and Kitty watched Rogue and Logan going over their plans for the day without looking at them.

"Since the Professor's coming up in a few days, would it be okay if we waited for him to get here before we go back?" Jubilee asked. "We can't really afford to fly back.."

"Yeah," Logan grunted and smiled at Rogue. "Long as you're here you can pull your own weight. Rogue's got a list on the fridge, read it, follow it. I'm going hunting."

"You gonna be home for dinner?" Rogue asked softly her gaze steady.

"Yeah baby, I'll be home just after lunch."

With a patient nod, Rogue smiled at him as he walked past her. Despite having house guests, it didn't appear that they'd be doing much different now then they usually did. "Don't forget we'll have to go shopping in the next day or so. There another fight tonight?"

"Yeah, we'll go in tomorrow. I'll go into town tonight for the fight, be home late."

"Okay," Rogue nodded. There was no point in drawing attention to the obvious, with Jubilee and Kitty there they would need more money to buy groceries, which meant he couldn't avoid the fights tonight even if he wanted to.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting quietly for the first time in her life Jubilee watched Logan and Rogue together, watched how they interacted, how they dealt with life on a daily basis. As the days slowly passed, and the arrival of the Professor got closer she noticed that the night was often shattered by one or both of their screams. For some reason the nightmares seemed to be getting more and more intense the closer the Professor got, until the night before his arrival.

Jerking out of a sound sleep, Jubilee listened intently, searching the darkness for something to tell her why she was awake. Hearing the low groans and soft whimpers coming from the next room she wondered if it was another night of hot sex or something more sinister.

An impressive weight settled on Logan's chest, making it hard for him to breath, for him to function even as he struggled in the water. The containment tank shook with the force of his struggles, even as he listened to the laughter from the men surrounding him. The clink of crystal and the low hissing of bubbles from champagne echoed in his ears as he struggled to bear the pain of having his flesh sliced open. He could feel it swamping him, washing over him in endless tides, intensified by the feel of hot, molten metal being grafted to his skeleton.

Suddenly he wasn't submerged in water, he was standing in a room full of people, people he knew. Glancing around he noted the way they laughed at him endlessly, making him uncomfortable, pointing at him, sneering at the way he wanted to protect Marie.

"You can't protect her. Look what happened the last time? You nearly killed her! You nearly killed her Logan!" the sarcastic sneer echoed in his head, making him shake his head furiously.

"She's mine. I made a promise! I wouldn't hurt her, I won't hurt her," Logan repeated even as the faceless people began to be more focused and suddenly he was back in the Professor's office listening to an irate Jean.

"Rogue is a child, do you have any idea what you're doing to her?" Jean snarled as she stared at him.

"As a matter of fact I am completely aware of Rogue's needs," Logan snapped back uneasily. "Spit it out Jean."

"You're in a position of power, you shouldn't be encouraging her to.." Jean started.

"To what? You wanna get to the point Jean?"

"You're using her infatuation with you to get laid," Jean snapped angrily rising to pace. "Its called.."

"You are so full of shit," Logan glared at her. "Don't you say it! You haven't got a clue about Rogue and I's relationship. You're judging us based on what?"

"I heard you two on more than one occasion.." Jean snapped angrily as Logan stepped toward her.

"Heard us?" With a sharp shake of his head, "I don't know what you're fuckin' talking about Jean. Rogue and I sleep together, end of discussion. You don't like it, tough. Our sanity is a lot more important than your fuckin' pride."

"Not when she's a child.." Charles spoke up quickly. "Logan you must understand we do have to be cautious.."

Scott said sharply. "We have rules that must be followed, besides that its illegal as hell to abuse someone.."

"Abuse?" Logan ground out his claws itching to get out. "Just for the sake of my own piece of mind lets clarify this. Are you implying that I'm raping Rogue?"

"Rape is such a strong word," Storm said softly.

"Just answer the mother fuckin' question."

"Yes," Jean snapped smugly. "That is exactly what we're implying."

With a slow nod Logan glanced at them, "And you're all of the same thought?"

"Yes," Jean replied firmly, `We are. We don't think you should be abusing Rogue like this.."

"I wouldn't hurt Rogue for my life! I'd die before I'd hurt her!"

"Really? Then why are you spending your nights using her infatuation to get lucky? That's coercion, its rape Logan!"

Like some haunting sound the word hit him repeatedly in the face, slamming into him with full force. With a snarl he struck out at them, hoping to end their senseless accusations. With a furious snarl he sat upright in his sleep, waking as quickly as his cloudy mind would allow to see Rogue's slim body shaking next to his.

A glance down revealed he'd popped the claws and instantly he grabbed for her. Dear God, no, please not again! He prayed as he rolled her over, the stench of her sweat, pain, and fear filling his nostrils with acrid precision.

"Marie, baby?" he whispered feeling her tremble, seeing the way her eyes were flickering behind her eyelids. He inhaled sharply, deeply but the familiar tang of her blood wasn't there.

With a soft sigh he lay back down, closing his eyes uneasily. He doubted seriously he'd be getting anymore sleep tonight, after all it was unlikely that the nightmare wouldn't return. Resolved to just laying there until Marie needed him he stared at the ceiling, even as he listened to her breathing become more and more erratic.

The searing pain of the contraption of Magneto's tore through her body, making her scream even as she saw Logan and Sabertooth below her. Screaming out for Logan in her mind she struggled in her confinement, intent on escaping. Feeling the darkness start to invade her mind she snarled, renewing her struggle even as she saw Logan's body land in front of her with what was left of her conscious mind.

Sinking into the darkness she listened, waited even as sounds began to flood her mind. Laughter, low and sultry. The familiar sound had her frowning, it wasn't her laughter, it wasn't her voice that was whispering something.

Moving toward it she paused, it was Scott and Jean and they were laughing at Logan's prone form. He was cut up from the battle, his body slowly healing but they were laughing at him. Laughing at his weak attempts to prove he was capable of being human.

"She's such a fool!" Jean giggled as Scott wrapped her in his arms. "Thinks he's going to love her someday."

"She's a child," Scott drawled with laughter in his voice. "But he's going to leave as soon as he's got his feet back under him! Logan's gonna be gone, he's always going to be walking away!"

"I feel so sorry for poor Rogue," Jean whispered nuzzling deeper into Scott's chest. "She has no idea what he's going to do to her. No idea he'll use her up then toss her aside like he does every other woman.."

"No, Logan wouldn't do that! Logan loves me," Rogue protested but they just laughed that much harder, pointing at her now.

"Sure he does, that's why he's leaving!"

"He isn't..." Rogue screamed. "He wouldn't leave me! Logan loves me!"

The snarls and whimpers from Marie had Logan shifting, pulling her close to him and holding her tightly. "Marie, baby I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere," he whispered softly, his voice a low rumble that resembled a purr.

"Logan?" Rogue's voice held tears, and fear. "Logan please don't leave me. Don't believe them, don't believe that you're.."

"Shh, I'm right here." Logan whispered pulling her tighter along his length. He didn't care about anyone or anything but Rogue, and he'd do whatever he had to protect her. Feeling the sudden shudder even as the smell of tears assaulted his senses, Logan pulled her around, burying her face in his chest and held on.

"They said you wouldn't stay," Rogue whispered painfully.

"They don't know us baby, don't know what we got," Logan replied firmly. Screw that outfit, he didn't need nor want them disturbing Rogue anymore than she already had been. There'd been too little in her life that was even half decent, and he didn't want them filling her head with anymore doubts. "Now you just curl up on me, lean on me for a bit. It'll be morning soon."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

Standing in the hall Jubilee listened to the conversation and felt tears threatening. Rogue needed Logan, she needed his strength, his compassion, his love. There was no doubt in Jubilee's mind that Logan loved Rogue, no doubt that their relationship while not the most ordinary was also incredibly healthy for them.

Turning she padded back to the bedroom she shared with Kitty and crawled back into bed, "Well?" Kitty whispered.

"We were so wrong Kitty, so very, very wrong." Jubilee replied rolling over and facing the wall. "I hope the Professor realizes that when he gets here."

"Should be here tomorrow," Kitty declared pulling the blanket back up and sighing. "Then we can all go home!"

"Somehow I think Rogue and Logan are home," Jubilee whispered listening to the nights sounds. There was no way in hell that they'd convince Rogue to return to the mansion, no reason she had to. Not without Logan, and Jubilee doubted he'd return to New York at all.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rising Logan showered quickly and dressed in his familiar clothes before heading for the kitchen. Neither him nor Rogue had gotten much sleep after they'd woken from their nightmares and he needed coffee desperately.

Standing at the sink he stared out the window and sighed, he needed to clear that portion of the small acreage, make room for a small but necessary garden. Something that they could utilize that would save them money on fresh vegetables.

Hearing a motor he tensed and set his coffee down before heading for the front door. Stepping out onto the porch he watched a familiar dark colored car ease into the driveway and park behind his truck.

"Fuck," he growled as the door opened and Storm stepped out easily. Staring at her he crossed his arms, making no move to leave the porch or help as she assisted the Professor out of the vehicle and into his hover chair.

"Logan," Charles greeted the stone faced man.

"What do you want?"

Charles studied Logan uneasily, he appeared confrontational. In fact Charles wondered just why he had managed to get this close without Logan reacting, but then maybe that was because of Rogue. "We've come to talk.."

"I think you said more than enough," Logan shot back. "I have no interest in hearing how badly I'm treating Rogue all over again."

"We are sorry about that," Storm spoke quietly. "We overreacted, judged without the full data."

"No, no you didn't over react. You believed I would hurt her, and I would never do that. So therefore you're wrong, I'm right and you can go back to New York, being sure to take the Yellow Wonder and her little friend Shadowcat."

Charles eyed Logan for a moment then glanced at Storm, "Would you be so kind as to leave us for a moment.."

"Of course." With a serene smile Storm retreated a few feet and leaned against the car. Waiting, watching but not really listening.

"Of anyone there I should have known better Logan," Charles started. "And for that I feel I owe you an apology. However, we did have grounds for concern, Rogue is very delicate. She needs stability, needs permanence.."

"Rogue and I are doing just fine. We don't need your interference, or your help. We've been doing just fine all along!"

"Rogue needs to know that she isn't going to be alone forever, needs friends.."

"She's got friends, got family right here. I'm her friend, her family and I don't think you understand that. I don't think you understand any of this," Logan shot back.

"I know you're her friend Logan, but you aren't the stick around forever kind of guy. Your past is too important to you, the need to know too demanding a mistress."

"Rogue's staying here," Logan replied softly, lethally. "Don't like, I do not care."

"Rogue should come back with us. We can help her.."

"Logan?" Rogue's soft voice had both men turning to the young woman standing in the doorway, dressed for the day in jeans and a long sleeved shirt but no gloves.

"Its okay baby, coffee's hot if you want some," Logan said as he opened his arms and she stepped into them, burrowing into his warmth with familiar ease. Hugging her tightly, he sighed the familiar scent of her shampoo and the steady thunder of her heart a reassuring presence.

"Rogue," Charles sighed sensing her ease, her peace with Logan. "How are you?"

"Fine," Rogue replied tiredly looking at Charles and smiling. "Logan's with me."

"Rogue I think it would be best for you to come home," Charles started.

"No." Rogue shook her head, fire leaping in her dark eyes. "I refuse to go back there. I'm staying with Logan."

"Rogue, we are your guardians.."

"No you're not," Logan shot Charles a cold grin, "See Rogue's a Canadian citizen now."

"That usually takes time Logan, you've only been gone a few months."

"I'm Canadian, the process speeds up quite a bit when you marry one," Logan shot back coldly. "And we are very definitely married."

Charles sat there in stunned silence wondering if they had any idea of what would happen because of this. If they had thought it through, "Marriage is forever. Did you think of that Logan? Did you think of the fact that you'd have to be there for her in fifty years?"

"Yes," Logan glanced at Rogue, this was a sour point in her mind. The doubts that had been planted weren't her own, they belonged to the X- geeks and Logan knew he had to prove them wrong. Knew that staying with her was the only way to deal with the painful doubts, he didn't give a shit about anything but Rogue anyway!

"I doubt that," For the first time Storm spoke.

"Doubt it all you want to Storm, but this is our place. Rogue's staying here with me."

"Please can't we sit down and discuss this like rational people? I don't want to give up on this association without at least talking it through once," Charles pleaded softly eying Rogue who was smiling at Logan softly, a knowing look in her eyes as she leaned on him.

Logan shrugged. "Talk is cheap, can afford that I s'pose, Rogue?"

"Yeah, sure. Coffee's on so it won't be too hard."

With a satisfied nod Charles and Storm preceded Logan and Rogue inside, catching Jubilee and Kitty's eyes before they all settled at the kitchen table. Waiting while Logan poured coffee and Rogue slipped a pair of gloves on Charles studied the couple. Neither looked upset to be tied to the other, in fact they looked at peace.

"Where's Jeannie and Scooter?" Logan asked suddenly. "I'm surprised they aren't here bitchin'."

"They wanted to come," Storm said. "But since they are still stuck in their mind set we figured it would be best to leave them behind."

"Yeah I can imagine," Logan shot back angrily. "Far as I'm concerned they're just as guilty of jumping to conclusions as you are. More so perhaps."

"Jean firmly believes that she was right.." Charles started.

"Yeah, well some of us know she wasn't," Logan snarled back taking a sip of his coffee. "You said you wanted to talk, so talk."

"We should have listened a bit better," Charles started. "After I thought about it I began to wonder just how much of what Jean was accusing you of was in reality fact. I mean we both know that you care about Rogue. You've risked your life for her time and again, I couldn't see you actually hurting her like that. At least not intentionally."

"Indeed, the Professor's right. You have risked everything more than once for Rogue," Storm shrugged slightly, a flush covering her face. "The likely hood that you would go out of your way to use her was and is small."

"Why would you think that he'd hurt me?" Rogue demanded angrily. "Why would you even think that Logan couldn't be trusted to be with me?"

"You're young Rogue, and you don't really have the mental maturity that a woman needs to deal with Logan," Storm said softly. "It wasn't about him being untrustworthy, it was about.."

"Jean's pride," Logan shot back. "I realize she's upset about the fact that Rogue and I are close but why would she come out and accuse me of something like this!"

"Because she's jealous," Jubilee stated. "She wants to have the level of faith you two have, but she doesn't understand what it takes to get there. Only those who've walked in your shoes will ever be able to have that."

"And Jubilee actually makes sense once," Kitty smiled softly. "Its true Professor, you can't make Rogue go home. She needs to be here with him."

"What makes you say that?" Charles asked softly.

"The nightmares for one," Kitty said quickly. "Neither of them can deal with them on their own because they concern both of them. It isn't about ownership Professor, they honestly love each other, need each other."

"You certain of this? You so sure about it that you're willing to return to New York without a worry?"

Kitty sighed glancing at Rogue and Logan, was she sure? Could she leave her friend behind? Taking a deep breath she gave the Professor the only answer she could, the only one her heart said was the right one, "Yes sir."

Charles nodded and glanced at Jubilee who was sitting snacking away. "Jubilation?"

"I'm with Kitty on this one Professor. No questions asked, they belong together."

"You can crash here tonight and head back in the morning," Rogue said softly with a glance at Logan. "See for yourself."

"Thank you," Storm smiled at the young woman. She wondered just what would happen over the course of the next twenty four hours, what could possibly be revealed!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watching Logan and Rogue throughout the day Charles wondered just how anyone could have mistaken their feelings for each other. The mere fact that they were so close was reason for concern, Charles didn't think for a moment that he could convince Rogue to go willingly back to New York.

He knew that to get her back there, he'd have to figure some way of getting Logan back there and the other man wasn't about to return to the mansion, at least not with Jean and Scott there. Patiently waiting, watching it was late afternoon when he caught Rogue alone in the kitchen, "Rogue? Have you a moment or two?"

"I suppose," Rogue replied uneasily looking at the Professor before she returned to working on the preparations for supper. "What's up?"

"I think it would be in your best interest to come back to New York with us," Charles said softly, his tone even. "We can deal with this situation..."

"No," Rogue refused flat out. "I'm not leaving Logan."

"Logan's a grown man, you're still underage.."

"In New York. Not in Canada. In Canada I'm of age, and further more.."

"Rogue you see where I put.."Logan paused as he walked into the room. "What am I interrupting?"

"The Professor was just pointing out how he thinks it best I go back to New York."

"You wanna go?" Logan asked sharply, staring at Charles much the way he would stare at Magneto - with thinly veiled fury.

"No," Rogue smiled at him. "I'm not leaving you. Not for anything or anyone."

"Seems you got your answer there Wheels, she stays."

"Logan she's too young to be here. She needs.."

"Needs what?" Logan demanded coldly. "To have someone tell her she's incapable of making up her mind. That her mind isn't even her own? Or maybe she should go back so you and your little Geeks can tell her how bad I am. How much of an animal, a monster I am."

"Logan.."

"Rogue knows me inside and out. She knows more about me in a heartbeat than any of you will ever know in a lifetime, and I don't see her running scared from me."

"You did contribute to her nightmares."

"Yeah, I don't deny that. But I do know that when we're not stressing out about you popping up we manage to sleep just fine," Logan shot back. "I only speak English Professor Xavier, so I can only say it one way - we do not want nor need your interference. Now if you don't mind, would you quit bothering my wife with your bullshit?"

Smiling slightly Rogue caught Logan's eye and winked before turning back to seasoning the roast. Even though she wasn't a telepath she could feel the sheer shock coming off Professor Xavier filling the silence with an uncontrollable tension. "What were you looking for?"

"That catalogue we got the other day," Logan replied softly brushing a quick kiss against her hair. "Figured on ordering the spring seeds this week.."

"Its summer time Logan, we won't use them for a while."

"It's gonna take at least two maybe three months to get them here baby, best get a head start on them."

"I put it in the drawer of the desk," Rogue replied softly. "Next to my prescription."

"I still ain't figured that one out," Logan grinned at her suddenly, ignoring the silent man in the wheelchair watching them. " Why'd you go get birth control? Its not like we ever go bareback."

"Cause it makes me feel more normal," Rogue replied saucily. "And if we do slip up or whatever, accidents happen Logan."

"Of course." With a sexy grin and a wink Logan left the kitchen, a silent challenging glare at Charles his only acknowledgment of the man.

Glancing at Rogue, Charles sighed. No, there would be no way to convince her to return to New York. He didn't want to resort to manipulation to get her to go back, but he didn't see any other way. Tomorrow morning when they were ready he'd do it. No point in stirring the pot just yet.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dinner was a strained affair, Logan and Rogue were the only ones who managed to carry on a civil conversation, their tone one of easy companionability. Logan even teased Rogue about her mutation, about her hair, anything and everything, and Rogue merely laughed and teased him right back.

"I was thinking that we should clear that spot out back, turn it into a garden," Logan drawled taking another bite of his roast. " Save us some money on the fresh produce."

"That would be nice, means you won't have to travel for the fights as much. Not that there's a whole lot that can be done for that. I mean you're good at what you do so why wouldn't you continue doing that."

"I wanna get outta doing that baby, wanna get a real job. Something that pays me for a set number of hours, a set amount and I'm not constantly worrying about leaving you alone when I have to travel."

"Well this would definitely help. Course I'm just not so sure about the other stuff. I mean I'd like to have some order in pizza once in a blue moon!" Rogue teased.

"I'll order it in. Don't blame me if its cold by the time it gets here though," Logan chuckled.

"With anchovies?"

"Fuck that," Logan shot back. "You want fish, you get fish. You want pizza, you get pizza. Translation no little fish on my pizza!"

"But Logan, I could make it..."

"You get pizza," Logan growled comfortably. "Don't push you luck."

"Ooh, scary thought that." Rogue laughed at his affronted look and reached over Kitty's plate to grab the potatoes. "Oh by the way I got my transcript for this term back today!"

"And?"

"Straight A's. I was surprised frankly, wasn't so sure I got the gist of calculus."

"You're smart baby, course you would."

"If you say so."

"I say so!" Logan declared passing the bowl to Charles without looking at him. They'd see how the night went, Rogue was doing so good, didn't need anymore nightmares!

After dinner was eaten, the dishes washed, dried and put away, Logan and Rogue shut the place up easily before they dug out the spare blankets and gave them to Charles and Storm.

"Fraid you're stuck on the floor," Rogue stated calmly. "Kitty and Jubilee are in the only other bed we've got."

"We will make do," Storm promised with a faint smile.

Laying there in the darkened room, Charles listened to the quiet sounds of Logan and Rogue getting undressed and ready for bed. There was no sneaky sounds, no hesitation in their whispered conversation or the slight giggle Rogue gave even as the bed began to creak before silence fell.

Closing his eyes, Charles slid into a light sleep, his mind aware that Storm did the same thing, her warmth curled up beside him easily.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As silent as smoke through a keyhole the nightmare crept up on Logan as he lay there curled around Rogue, only this time he was prepared for it. This time the smell of her invaded his mind before they could take hold, before they could destroy his tenuous grasp on reality.

Stirring he slid back into sleep easily, not awake to begin with, his grip tightening on the slight woman in his arms. Nuzzling closer to her, he pulled the blankets up over their bodies and snuggled into the warmth and comfort of their pillows.

Like a familiar film that replays continuously, Rogue's sleep was disturbed by familiar images, familiar sounds. Flames flickering, greenish lights, water that covered her from head to toe, black marks on her skin, men in uniforms and white lab coats standing toasting their success with champagne and laughing. Trembling, fighting the images she struggled against the deep, invasive pain that seemed to wash over her even as she struggled with the restraints.

The pain intensified as hot, acrid smelling metal was poured over open wounds, cuts that seared and burnt but were never really healed. The stench of burning flesh filled her nostrils, smothering any and all other scents even as she could feel her mind being wiped clean of memories, of a past she couldn't identify.

Feeling the warm touch of skin on her arm she jerked in her sleep, snarling, her hands going out to protect herself even as the images in her mind flooded every sense so she couldn't feel anything but the agony of being experimented on.

Sucking in a quick breath Logan winced as her nails scratched down his chest, leaving bloody trails. His sense of smell picked up on the fury, the pain in her mind as she struggled with the nightmarish
dream.

Whispering soothingly to her, he held her tightly, capturing her hands easily and holding them pinned to his chest as she heaved in her sleep. Experience told him it was the one nightmare that he hated above all others.

"Marie, baby you're safe," he whispered softly in her ear, "I've got you. Nobody's gonna hurt you. Easy now, come on, its me. You're safe." Like a mantra he kept repeating it over and over again until she shuddered and jerked even as her eyes flew open and stared at the blood that had dried from deep scratches she'd left on his chest.

"Oh God Logan!" she whispered reaching out and touching his exposed skin without a thought. Tracing over the trails of blood she shook, her entire body wracked with tremors. "I'm so sorry!"

"Don't be," Logan whispered softly kissing her temple through her hair. "Its okay baby, I've got you."

"It was that one again! All I wanted was escape, to get out of there.."

"You did baby, you did," Logan whispered and pulled her close to him easily. After a few moments of listening to her ragged breathing to her silent tears falling he sighed, "Come on."

"Where are we going?" Rogue asked as he rose from their bed and started jerking on clothes, tossing some to her in the process.

"For a walk," Logan grunted. "Getting outta here for a while. I don't trust any of these people not to try something come morning. Don't want to be here when they leave."

"You think they'd try something?"

"Wouldn't put it past them," Logan replied reaching into the dresser and pulling out a copy of their marriage licence, a slip of paper and reached for a pen. After a few seconds of scribbling on it he shot Rogue a smile and offered his hand. Dropping the note and the copy on Charles's wheelchair they slipped out the door soundlessly heading north on foot.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rising the next morning Storm glanced at the partially opened bedroom door, noting in passing that both Logan and Rogue appeared to be up. Rolling over she glanced at where Charles had slept through out the night and sighed. He was up and dressed and sitting in his chair staring out the window deep in thought.

"Professor?" she asked softly as she rose and walked over to him.

"Read it," Charles said handing her the papers he held in his hand.

Storm glanced at the Professor than at the doorway behind her to see Kitty and Jubilee standing watching them. Glancing at the papers she had taken, she sighed. One looked like an official document and she blinked before focusing on it. A startled gasp echoed in the room as she stared at the document, "He married her," she whispered softly, stunned beyond belief.

"Yes, read the note," Charles said softly his face expressionless. "Aloud if you please."

"X-Geeks; we aren't fucking going back. Rogue's mine, she's staying and there ain't a helluva lot you can do. Go back to New York, and don't come back. - L," Storm glanced at Charles. "Where are they?"

"They left late last night, after a nightmare. I can't figure out whose it was but it was powerful enough to drive them both from their bed."

"So what does this mean?" Kitty asked softly. "Are we going back to New York?"

"Yes," Charles sighed and glanced at them. "We have to let Logan and Rogue come to us. No more chasing after them, its up to them how they want to proceed."

With a slight nod, Storm packed up the few items they'd brought in with them and loaded the car before she glanced at Kitty and Jubilee," Shall we meet at the airport in Whitehorse? That way you can drive back with us."

"Sounds good. Saves us from having to fly back."

"Yeah," Charles eyed them. "I don't want to call upon Jean or Scott to come get us though so it is best that we meet there."

After everything was loaded, Storm pulled out of the driveway, followed shortly by Jubilee and Kitty who paused and to stare at the small house Rogue had made into a home. Without glancing at each other they started back south, a silent goodbye hanging in the air.

Neither believed that they would ever see their friend again, Rogue would stay with Logan forever, and Logan well he would always be there for Rogue. It was who he was, what he was and no amount of talking or pleading would change that!

Epilogue:
One Year Later:

Frowning at the small card that she'd gotten in the mail Kitty padded along the hallway to the room she shared with Jubilee and opened the door. "Hey Jubes, did you get mail?"

"No, not today why?"

"I got something with no return address," Kitty said softly sinking onto the foot of her bed as her friend stepped out of the bathroom.

"Well open it, what is it?" Jubilee said padding in to sit next to Kitty on the bed.

Tearing into the envelope, Kitty pulled out a slip of paper and unfolded it even as Jubilee caught the slip of satin ribbon that fell out of the folded piece of paper.

"Dear Jubilee and Kitty; I could probably have sent two letters but what's the point. You're gonna sit together and read it so why waste the extra paper? I wanted to say thank you for trying to force me to go back to New York, I couldn't do it then. Oh I'm not saying I'm ready to go back just yet, because Logan and I have so many plans, so much that we want to do and if I stop off at New York we all know he couldn't be there with me. We're traveling now, matter of fact we're on our way to Europe, we landed this awesome job with some other mutants that allows us to travel the world. Anyway I just wanted to say hi, tell you I'm doing good, that I've gotten some control - or maybe Logan's just adapted to my touch who knows. Oh and the ribbon is from Lucas's blanket. He looks very much like his father, and for that I'm grateful because Logan is one hot guy! Your friend Rogue. P.S. take care of each other, and thank you for being my friends."

"She had a baby?" Jubilee grinned suddenly. "She had a baby!"

"Wow, she sounded happy to," Kitty looked at Jubilee and laughed. "It's a step in the right direction. Maybe someday we'll see them again!"

"Maybe!" Rising Jubilee hugged Kitty tightly, their laughter filling the room and spilling out into the hall. "Maybe!"

"What the hell is going on here?" Scott asked standing stock still in the doorway. He'd taken a lot of heat from Jubes and Kitty after their return for driving Logan and Rogue out of the mansion, but then so had Jean and he was a little uneasy around the pair.

"She had a baby!" Kitty laughed.

"Who had a baby?" Scott demanded as Jean and Storm walked up to where he was standing.

"Rogue, she had a little boy! They're in Europe on business, and she's got a baby boy!" Kitty laughed hugging Jubilee tightly.

Scott glanced at Storm and smiled, "Good for her. She say where Logan is?"

"He's in Europe," Kitty gaped at him.

"Where abouts? I'm sure he is ahead of her. I can't see him letting her rush into battle with a baby on her hip."

"I don't know, she didn't say! Just that they had jobs working for some mutants," Kitty grinned at Storm. "But they're in Europe! They had a baby and everything!"

Jean glanced at Scott and Storm for a second before walking away, she felt rather foolish and the open hostility that was still directed at her at times was enough to peel paint. Perhaps she had over reacted to the situation, made judgements that weren't founded but she had good reason. Or at least she thought she did! But the longer Rogue was gone, the longer there was no word from her it made Jean wonder if maybe she had been driven to speak up for reasons she was coming to discover weren't that nice.

Smiling slightly, she paused by the door to Logan's old room -Congratulations Logan, looks like you found what you've been looking for all this time! Be happy both of you. With a glance behind her she hurried to her bedroom and slipped inside to close the door softly and lean back against it. She really did want them to be happy, and if they had found a measure of peace she was more than just happy she was ecstatic for them!