“Hey, baby. I’ve missed you,” Logan said slowly, taking a seat on the couch opposite her. “What’s happened?”

“My powers, Logan. They’re out of control. I’m out of control.” Her head was down, and she refused to life it up. “Scott and I were investigating a rumor about a group of mutants who were being held captive and forced to kill people who didn’t follow a certain belief. He was knocked unconscious, and I touched him just enough to take on his mutation. He’s disappeared, and my gift is out of control. All of the abilities I’ve touched never went away, Logan. They were just dormant. It was like Scott’s optic blast opened a door in my head and let them all out.” She lifted her head then and he could feel her eyes connecting with his. “I’m fucking scared, Logan.”

He noticed that she was wearing Scott’s sunglasses and her gloves were back. He couldn’t even see her eyes through the ruby quartz lenses.

“I can control it now, but that can change in a second. I really don’t want to take the chance.” She was looking at her gloves, and he realized what she was saying. It was worse than not having any control at all. It was almost a tease for her. She could still touch, but that could change in a heart beat. It was almost as if nature was tempting her to believe everything was safe.

“Marie, baby,” he whispered as he got up and walked to her, “I am so sorry.” He took her into his arms and felt her entire body tighten. She was nervous about being touched, even by him. She eventually relaxed, but it was still a little awkward to be holding her again, after so many years.

“They took him, Logan,” she sobbed into his chest. “They took him away and left me here to die! Why the hell did they do that? Why him and not me? I mean, I’m more powerful than him, aren’t I? Wouldn’t it have just made more sense?”

“I don’t know, Darlin. I just don’t know.” He couldn’t help but wonder what kind of relationship they had shared for all these years. Were they really just friends, or more than that now? He wanted to ask her, but even he knew that it probably wasn’t the best time.

Just a few days ago, he would have given anything to have her in his arms again, but not if it caused her so much pain. She had already been through too much.

“We’ll get him back, Marie. No matter what, I promise that we will get him back.”

“I got to tell you something else…” her voice drifted off as she pulled away from him. He could smell tears, but they must have been building up behind her glasses. “The same people who took Scott… They have our baby, too. I’ve found our daughter.”