She sat on the roof, completely alone, her thick black hair waving behind her. There was a long white streak that traveled strait down the middle of her hair, giving her the look of a skunk from the back. Of course, no one called her anything like this. At least not to her face.

Her light green eyes traveled over the compound, watching as everyone else mulled around and waiting. They were bringing new mutants to the compound today. There were those who were coming because they wanted to make a difference in this world. There was a war starting that had been avoided for the last twenty years, and these were the people who were going to fight the humans for control.

Then there were the others. Those with abilities stronger than the others. They were usually taken by their will and brought to the compound, in the faith that their minds could be changed. Unfortunately, most were too stubborn and lost their lives. She knew these people intimately. It was her job to take them under her wing and show them how happy life could be without humans. If they didn’t change, it was also her job to eliminate them.

That was why she was sitting on this roof, watching the others wait. It would become plainly obvious who was here by force as they were taken off the bus and left in the compound. Usually, they would say something stupid that would send everyone into a frenzy, ending with the mutant on the ground, bleeding. She would have to swoop in and rescue him, alienating her even more from the others.

It never bothered her that the others never really liked her. It wasn’t as if she needed them, anyway. She had her lover, and she had the people in her head to keep her company. She didn’t need anyone else, including those who said they knew who she really was.

For as long as she could remember, there were mutants who were brought to the compound by force, all claiming that she didn’t belong here, that her parents were looking for her. She would relish in her anger, biding her time until she could take their lives with a touch.

She had been bred for killing. Her skin was a poison that could kill with the lightest touch, and she had bone claws that emerged from the back of her hands. She also had enhanced senses, and a healing factor.

She lost track of the amount of abilities she had stolen through touch, though she found that she enjoyed a few, such as the superhuman strength, speed, stamina, and sturdiness she stole from John Proudstar, a Native American, and the abilities to generate nuclear fire, which she can use to fly, which she obtained from Shiro Yoshida, alias Sunfire.

Even with all the special abilities she had stolen, the things she relished most were the memories that came along with them. She would comb through all the memories she gained, looking for any type of memories of a loving, warm family. Of friends that wouldn't turn their back on her. People who actually cared. She could only wish that she had a family like that.

But, as much as she craved their presence and their love, she hated them, also. They should have been there with her, taking care of her and protecting her from a young age. They should have helped her to control her mutations, and her anger. They should have loved her no matter if she was born with a white streak in her hair and boan cloaw that emerged before she could remember. They should have been her family, not this community of discarded mutants that didn’t even trust her, in the first place. Instead, they had turned their backs on her, leaving her to die.

She was the only one who had been brought here directly from childhood. The others that weren’t picked right up off the street had families and friends that they once loved. They knew what it was like to have been accepted at one point. She had never known that feeling. The only person in the entire facility who truly accepted her for who she was and not what she could do was also one of the most feared and hated mutants to ever be born. He was not accepted, either, but he preferred it that way. He couldn’t understand her need for a family, but he loved her anyway.

As she sat and watched, the gates to the compound opened as a large group was allowed to enter. She watched as one by one, each new arrival greeted old friends and family, old lovers and a new life. It wasn’t until the end that she noticed him.

A tall man with dark brown hair and a dark tan, as if he had been stuck in the sun for a few hours. He wore a ruby red visor, making it impossible for her to see his eyes. He probably hadn’t realized that, due to the mechanics of the collar around his neck, he was basically powerless. Everyone brought here against their will was entrapped into these collars, to protect those who wanted to be here.

The man with the visor was looking around at everyone, and she could smell the fear as he realized where he was. She watched as the others encircled him, probably ready to hurt him however they could before she intervened.

But something unexpected happened at the last minute. She watched as the crowd parted and a giant blond man made his way into the circle. He was her lover, and although he was there willingly, he also wore a collar. Because of his bad temper and thirst for blood, he was forced to wear it for the protection of the others. At least that was what she had been told.

Her interest grew as her lover circled the man. The strangers hand went to the side of his visor quickly, but nothing happened. She watched her lover stand to his full height, laughing as the other man looked around, a worried look etched onto his face. She watched as the bigger man pounced, and she knew that no matter how skilled he was, the stranger was going to die unless she stopped him.

Quickly, she launched herself into the air, flying to the fight as fast as possible. There was no sound as she landed, her lover not even realizing she was there. She watched the two men circle each other before her lover pounced again, this time catching the stranger in his claws. She was on him in that second, tearing her lover away before he could do anything. He growled once before realizing who it was that interfered.
Her lover gave her a look at anger, letting her know just how much he really loathed the man she had just saved. He growled one last time before stalking away.

She looked down at the stranger as the others began to wander away, looking for those they considered family and friends. He was in her care now, and no one, not even her lover, would cross her. They knew the consequences of her anger, and no one wanted to push.

“Come on. I got a nice warm bed and a hot meal for you.” She reached down and helped the man up, noticing that her lover hadn’t hurt him anywhere near as bad as she thought he was. He had a large gash running down the left side of his face. There was blood, but not a lot, and the gash would leave a scar, but wasn’t deep enough to need stitches. There would be a few bruises, but he would be fine in a week.

Hopefully she wouldn’t have to kill him just as he was feeling up to par.