“What the hell do you mean you found her?” Logan asked, standing and moving from her. “Why would you wait until now to tell me? I mean, you could have said something over the phone.”

“This really isn’t something that I thought should be mentioned in a telephone conversation,” she replied quickly. After twenty years, he still had the same short temper and badass demeanor. She felt like punching him. “Listen. There is a lot more going on than you know. A hell of a lot more.”

“What are you talking about?” His temper began to calm as her words registered. Rogue realized that she might have been wrong about his temper. Usually it took a lot more than that to calm him down. “What don’t I know, Marie?”

“You have to remember something, Logan. She’s not a child.” Rogue took a deep breath, not sure how to explain just who their child had become. Logan sat down slowly, waiting for her to continue. “She’s twenty years old, Logan. The life she leads is the only life she knows.”

“Spit it out, Marie.” He was on the verge of losing his temper again.

“She’s a killer, Logan. She murdered mutants that would not follow their beliefs,” Marie whispered softly, her eyes never leaving his. “She was the one who killed Proudstar and Yoshida. That’s why they never returned. They had her kill them because they refused to give up their beliefs. And now Scott’s there.”

“How do you know all of this?” He couldn’t understand where she had gotten her information.

“I have an informant on the inside,” she said even more softly. Her eyes darted away from his, raising his suspicions. He wondered if she was able to lie, yet.

He put his hand on her gloved one, forcing her eyes to meet his again. He didn’t want to push or upset her, but he needed to know who her informant was. He had a feeling it was someone he needed to know about.

“Sabertooth.” She whispered the name of the one person who he would have never thought would ever help them. He could feel his blood run cold as his mouth dried. He was screaming on the inside, but calm on the outside. How was he supposed to react to this? “I don’t know how he does it, but he has a way to contact a few of his old acquaintances. They usually get the message to me. It only started recently, and I was only given the location of the compound the day before we were attacked.”

“How do you know he wasn’t the one who set everything up? How do you know you can trust him?” Logan couldn’t stop it. His temper was heating up fast. She knew what a maniac like Victor Creed was capable of. How could she be dumb enough to believe anything he said?

“I didn’t really have a choice, Logan.” She stood then, moving away from him. She was angry and just as upset at herself as he was. She should have known better, but all she could think about was her daughter. “In the last twenty years… Twenty fucking years, the only lead we have gotten was from Sabertooth. No one knew what the hell we were talking about. There were mutants disappearing all over the fucking country, and no one knew where the hell they went to. People were beginning to think that they were all dead. That they just killed themselves, or that they were murdered and buried in backyards. What the hell was I supposed to do? What the fuck was I supposed to do, Logan? Just not listen? After twenty years, you can’t help but listen to any clues you get. And to have something like this drop into your lap… You can’t help but to trust.”

He gathered her back into her arms again, listening to her cry. What was he supposed to do now? Did he trust her? Was he supposed to really put his faith into the information of a sociopath like Sabertooth?

“Where is this place?” He knew he was probably going to regret this for a long time, but what was he supposed to do? Even with all the abilities she had, he wasn’t about to let her go at this alone. Besides, this was his child, too, wasn’t it?
“New Zealand.”