“What’s you name?” He asked as they stared at each other from across the hand built coffee table. They had said nothing to each other on the walk to her small house at the edge of the compound.

“Eve. I was the first to be raised here, and they wanted everyone to know that.” She took a large drink from the mug sitting in front of her before setting it down and leaning back in the overstuffed, handmade couch. He was sitting on a very uncomfortable chair, and couldn’t help but wonder if this was on purpose. “I was brought here as an infant.”

“Well, Eve, my name is Scott,” he said as he extended his hand. She only looked at him, not moving to accept the offer. He slowly pulled his hand back, looking at her strangely. He had removed his visor just after they had entered the small house, but his right hand constantly went to his face, as if something was missing. She wondered how long he had worn them. “You’re a mutant?”

“Yes, everyone here is,” she replied, tilting her head toward the door and the community outside. “For the last twenty years we have been forming a mutant only facility. A place where mutants can live together in peace with…”

“I know, without the oppression of humans,” he jumped in, cutting her off quickly. “I’ve heard this crap before. Hell, you might have memorized it, but I’ve fought along and against the bastard who wrote the damn speech.”

“This is my belief as it is everyone’s ere. Who are you to judge me?” She asked quickly, her eyes narrowing as her whole presence tensed. “You know nothing about me or anyone here.”

“I know more than you think,” he replied quickly, his own anger building. “You have no idea what it’s like out there. All you know is what they have been feeding you all this time. It’s not perfect, but it is getting better all the time. I promise you it is. There are places where humans and mutants live peacefully. Without violence. All they have is fear and fear can be destroyed. The others here, yes they had a hard time, but so has everyone. I’ve recognized quite a few people here. I’ve saved a few lives and fout against a few.

“The man who tried to kill me. His name is Victor Creed.”

“Don’t talk about him. What the hell could you know about him? He’s been here longer than I have. He’s like me. He knows nothing about the world outside.”

“That’s bullshit. I’ve been fighting him for years. He’s the reason why you’re in here in the first place.” He sat back, realizing just how little she know. “He kidnapped your mother just after she became pregnant with you. They stole you from her.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” She didn’t know how much longer she could control herself.

“Victor Creed is a well known sociopath named Sabertooth who would kill for the fun of it. He kidnapped your mother so that these people could take you from her. That was the last anyone heard from him.”

“You’re wrong. My parents abandoned my when it was obvious that I was a mutant. They left me to die.”

“Trust me, they didn’t eave you anywhere. Your mother and I have been looking for you for the past twenty years. We’ve done everything we could to find you. Now, I’m in here, and she is out there, probably still looking.”

“How do you know she’s my mother?” Eve asked slowly, not wanting to believe him. She didn’t trust him, but some of the things he said seemed to fit. She could never understand how some of the others could be afraid of Victor. He had never hurt them, and he swore that he had never met them, but she had always had a feeling that he was lying.

“The white streak in you hair. Rogue has one, also. Although her hair is brown, and she parts her hair at the side, it’s still the same.” He paused for a second, looking pointedly at her gloves. “There aren’t many people with a mutation like hers. I’ve met a few that were close, such as empaths who know how other’s were feeling and telepaths who knew what people were thinking, just by touching someone, skin to skin. There were those who could borrow other’s mutations an knowledge the same way. But there aren’t many who take everything, including someone’s life.”

“She has my mutation?” She asked softly. Eve didn’t know what to thing about any of this. The doctors had all told her that her parents were both normal when her absorption powers began to manifest. They had sworn that there was no one to help her control this. None of the other mutants would even talk to her, much less tell her about parents that didn’t even exist. “Does she have control?”

Scott sighed, running his hand through his hair. How was he supposed to explain this one? “Not at first. It took a long time for her to gain control, but she eventually did.”

“And you?” She whispered, wondering who exactly this man was to her. She didn’t see any similarities, but that didn’t mean anything, really. She might be a carbon copy of her mother.

“What about me?” It took a moment for him to catch on to her question. It finally dawned on him after a few seconds. “You think that I’m your… your fa… father?”

“Well, if not, than who is? I mean, you are the one who has been with her for the last twenty years.”

“”Oh, God, Eve. I’m sorry…” Scott began to stumble over his words, not sure how to explain just what had transpired between her mother and father. “I’m not your father. His name is Logan.”

“Oh… Why wasn’t he the one traveling with her, then?”

“Because he’s a moron.” Scott smiled to himself, remembering the last time he had seen the feral man. “Rogue told him not to follow her, and the dumb ass listened. He’s probably still in New York, waiting for her to come home. It’s a long, and somewhat strange story. They’ll have to be the ones to tell you about it.”

“Is he a mutant, also?” Eve asked. She felt herself being pulled deeper and deeper into Scott’s story, and wanted to know more and more about these two people he claimed were her family.

“He has a healing ability and extra strong senses much like Victor’s. He also has claws and a skeleton made of metal that was grafted into him bones a long time ago. Actually, he and Victor knew each other very well many years ago. They hate each other and are great enemies.”

“Come with me.” Eve said quickly, standing before Scott could understand what was going on. “If you are telling me the truth, there are only two ways of finding out for sure what the hell is going on. Either I find out by touching you, or I find out from Vic.”

“What makes you so sure he’ll be honest?”

“Because I know how to make him talk.”