She stared at the tall mansion, uncertainty setting in. How was she supposed to walk through these doors and ask a group of people she has had absolutely no contact with for twenty years to help her break into a facility of mutants who openly hated them to save a woman who probably didn’t even want to be saved? They were going to laugh in her face and send her on her way.

Logan stood by her side, wanting to just take her in his arms and tell her everything was going to be alright. These people had made a promise to him a long time ago, one she didn’t even know about. He asked her to let him talk with them first, and she reluctantly agreed.

“Do you have a plan?” Logan asked slowly, watching her facial expression for any sign of emotion. She had kept a stone face the entire trip back, not saying a word as he drove home. “Do you have an idea of how you want to do this, yet?”

“Nope,” she whispered slowly. “Just do me a favor? Make sure you get them out of there. No matter the cost. I don’t care if you have to kill everyone inside. Just stay the hell out of my way.”

“What are you going to be doing?” Logan asked skeptically. She was keeping something from him. Something he was sure he should know about. She did have a plan, only it wasn’t for their primary objective.

“I made a promise to someone and I got to keep it.” She wouldn’t look at him as she spoke, keeping her eyes glued to the door. He hadn’t opened it, yet, wanting to try and get a little more information from her.

“Would you mind elaborating on…” Before he could finish his sentence, the door swung open, revealing the tall Russian on his way out.

He stopped in his tracks, looking at both of them closely before grabbing Rogue and pulling her into a tight bear hug. “Oh, my old friend. It’s been too many years.”

Rogue couldn’t help but giggle as she quickly hugged him back. For a moment, she was able to let herself forget everything that happening, and lose herself in his embrace. She felt alive for the first time in years, and almost normal. But the feeling couldn’t last forever.

Just as Colossus was setting her back down, Rogue’s glasses slipped off her face, and a beam of red emerged from her eyes. She squeezed her eyes tightly closed, but it was too late. The damage was done. The optic blast she had gained from Scott had hit a tree standing only a few feet from the trio. It had disintegrated into nothing just from the small amount that had escaped.

Logan reached down and picked up the glasses, carefully placing them back on Rogue’s face. Colossus didn’t know what to say. He had felt the heat of the blast on his arm as it hit the tree. If it had been any closer, he would have seriously been hurt. As it was, the black t-shirt he was singed.

“What have you been doing, Rogue?” He asked slowly. “Where is Scott?”

“It’s a long story, Pete. I need your help with something, and then Rogue will tell us everything.” Logan spoke before she could, looking pointedly at her. Rogue knew that he wanted everything on the table, but there were a few secretes she wasn’t ready to give up just yet.