She was in Logan’s room, looking around as he went to gather those he thought would be willing to help. He had hoped that they wouldn’t run into Magneto on the way upstairs, warning her that he was now in charge, knowing how she felt about the man after he had tried to take her life all those years ago.

Rogue knew he had made the right choice. She had other things to do.

“I almost didn’t believe the children when they said that Logan had brought a woman with white streaks home, stashing her away in his room. I didn’t even think it could have been you, not after you left with the other renegade all those years ago.” Rogue knew that voice well. It was the same voice that had whispered to her about the evils of man kind late at night when Logan’s nightmares weren’t haunting her dreams.
“Funny, I didn’t think you were even alive. I could have sworn that someone killed you years ago.” Rogue turned, looking at the man who had tortured her mind for years through her ruby quartz lenses. “I guess I was wrong, too.”

“I would have thought you would have wanted that honor all too yourself,” Erik said softly, smiling sadistically at her.

“I was a little heartbroken, but I guess that this is better.” She walked closer to him, presenting her hand friendly enough. “Unfortunately for you, there are a few things I have to take care of before I can handle this.”

He accepted her offer, slightly squeezing his hand, letting her know that he was still as strong as he was all those years ago, when he first tried to take her life. He was surprised when she squeezed back, just enough to shoot pain up his arm, but not enough to break anything.

He used the abilities that had returned to him twenty years ago to lift the desk, ready to hit her with it. He was surprised when it didn’t move. “Don’t even try it, Ass. I’ve gotten a lot stronger than you these last few years. Every ability I ever absorbed has come back, and I am stronger than you now.”

She pulled him closer, and, for a moment, he thought she was going to kill him right there. He couldn’t see her eyes behind the glasses, but he knew her eyes were filled with poison.

“I am coming back for you, Erik,” she whispered into his ear. He felt a shudder go through his body as her warm breath caressed his cheek. “And when I have my child back and these animals are destroyed, I am going to kill you. And I will kill you. Slowly. I owe you that much.” She tapped the side of his head gently with her free hand. “You’re in my head, so if you run, I will find you.”

Logan found them like this, and, if he hadn’t known them so well, he would have thought they were in a lovers embrace. Rogue smiled at him, quickly letting the older man go while pretending nothing had happened. When Erik turned around, Logan couldn’t help but notice how pale he was.

“Well, I will leave you two alone now. I just wanted to say hello to you, Rogue, and to clear everything up.” He tried to feign a smile, but there was no emotion behind it.

“Did I make myself clear to you, Erik?” Rogue asked as he was walking out the door.

“Perfectly, my dear. Perfectly.” He smiled at the former lovers before hurriedly making his way as far from them as possible.

“What the hell was that about?” Logan asked curiously as he shut the door before more company showed up. “What did you do?”

“Nothing. Just made another promise.” Rogue smiled up at him as she sat on his bed.

“Don’t ask. It is none of your business, and you know Ol’ Metal Head; he won’t tell you, anyway. Even if he does, it’s between me and him, so don’t even think about sticking your nose into this.”

“Alright. If you need me, just let me know.” He knew better than to push the subject. He would know soon enough, and, besides, if it scared the hell out of Magneto, it probably wasn’t that bad.

“Colossus is getting everyone together. They are going to meet us here in about an hour.”

“Here?” She asked softly, giving him a quizzical look. “Why here? Why not the briefing room?”

“Because this isn’t an X-Men thing. They’re just a group of mutants who want to help out their friends. No uniforms or special weapons. We’re not taking the Blackbird, either. Moira will be here with the private jet she keeps on Muir Island in case of emergencies. It’s not as descript as the Blackbird, but it does have some of the same features.”
She nodded slightly, a little doubtful. “Who’s going to help us? Obviously not your new team members.”

“No. I don’t want them involved in this,” he sighed as he sat on the bed next to her. “They are still young and naive. The world’s not the same place it was when we first came here. It’s not quite so hostile toward the team anymore. Humans and mutants alike have realized that we are fighting for both of them. If I take the X-Men in there, it’s going to turn into a big battle and set us back twenty years. Humans will fear us again, and mutants… Well, mutants will go back to believing we’re nothing but a group of traitors. We need to do this delicately. This one is going to take a little time. No one gets killed. No one, Rogue.”

“No… they’re not just going to let us waltz in, Logan. Their will be some deaths. At least one. Just remember to stay out of my way. Like I told you before, I got a promise to keep. I owe him one.”

“You’re going to kill Sabertooth?” He whispered. Up until that point, both their voices had been low, monotone. She could feel the expression in his words as he rose, walking to the chair on the other side of the room. She hadn’t realized how much he had changed over the years. He wasn’t the same man she had known. The blood lust that had lived inside of him for so long was gone.

They had changed roles. She was the animal, and he was a domestic now. She found it a little aggravating. When he spoke again, his voice was louder, although not high enough to be heard by anyone passing by. “How the hell do you plan on doing that? He has a healing factor as strong as mine. No matter how much you beat up on him, he won’t die. There is nothing you can do to kill him.”

“I can touch him. Take his life that way. You know that. I’ll kill him with my bare hands, literally.” She kept eye contact with him, but her hands began to fidget with the gloves she wore. “That’s why I need you and the others to stay out of my way. Anything could happen, and I don’t need anyone else getting hurt.”

“You’ll have that monster in your head for the rest of your life. With the extra healing factor, that’s going to be a very long time, you know. You can’t die from anything.” He put his head into his hands as he sat down on the chair. He felt his frustration building up inside of his body, and part of him wanted to his something. “What the hell happened to you out there, Marie?”

“Marie’s dead. She couldn’t survive out there without Wolverine there to help her. Scott tried to keep her alive, but he didn’t really know how. He didn’t understand tha she needed to know that the animal wasn’t just inside her head to keep her alive. She died because she was too pure and good to live on the streets. She lasted a year. Now, what the hell happened to you?” Rogue asked, standing up angrily. “What the hell happened to Wolverine, Logan? Did this place kill him, Logan? Did Magneto do the one thing that Xavier never could? Did he train you to be his good little dog?”

Before she knew it, Rogue found herself against the wall behind the bed, one metal laced hand against her throat, three claws impaling the wood by the left side of her head. “No one has trained me, Darlin. No one. Wolverine gave up the moment you walked out on him with the fucking boy scout. Now I’m back. You woke him, you get to calm him down, Darlin.” Without thinking, Rogue used the super strength she had gained all those years ago to push herself away from the wall to find her self devouring Logan’s mouth, his hand still around her neck. As her tongue gently caressed his, Logan slowly removed his hand from her neck, instead moving it to the back of her head, where it tangled in her hair. He sheathed the claws in his other hand before moving it to her backside, grabbing her tightly as they lost themselves in the kiss.

Hungrily, they fell to the bed, Logan rolling them so that he found himself on top. He tore away from her, not believing how intense their attraction was, even after twenty years of being apart. Before he had a chance to say anything, she lifted her head and captured his mouth with hers, again, while rubbing her groin against his. He lost himself in her.